BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Anyone go f90 to f90 comp?

11-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #1
hoffmeister
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2016 M4, 2015 X5 5.0

Anyone go f90 to f90 comp?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Anyone here go from the f90 and upgrade to f90 comp? I'm toying with the idea but wonder if I'll end up feeling like i ate a bunch of depreciation to end up with substantially the same thing. I know its a better car especially with the lci- just interested in any reactions.

Thought about m8gc comp but I feel its a complete marketing gimmick and like many here have said I think the M5 looks better. Amg gt 4 door is a great car but again the premium is insane and it only looks good from the rear.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Well Joe Achilles has said that the M5 comp and M5 are essentially two different cars. I may seem to recall similar sentiments being shared on other occasions, although I personally could not compare and contrast the two for you. What year is your M5, and how much do you stand to lose if you make the move? Only you can decide whether the move is worth it. I, for one, took a long hard look at whether the car was worth the depreciation I stood to take at all, and for me I decided to take the plunge, as I feel it is the absolute perfect car for me, and for the foreseeable future. If you have wanderlust and have other makes or models on the brain, then I am not sure I would make the change from M5 to M5C. If you are intending to stay within the platform for awhile, then I think a move could be more worth it. If you are leaning towards the latter, then definitely go and drive one, and make up your own mind. I am absolutely loving the LCI changes, so have no regrets whatsoever in waiting for that, as I have been eyeing the F90 platform for well over a year now. Good luck!
Appreciate 3
AlexFL7833.00
      11-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

if you have any desire to lower, or tune the car, i see zero point in comp. But it makes alot of people sleep better at night. LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 08:58 AM   #4
hoffmeister
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2016 M4, 2015 X5 5.0

Thanks both. Very helpful. Maybe go the tuning route since the things going to come out of warranty soon anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 02:22 PM   #5
MDJAK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

What does LCI stand for?

As for your question, I have a “base” M5. I had not done any research, had just driven out of Porsche dealer after thinking about trading my 2019 911t on a new 992 911s, but it did t have a heated wheel which is important to me so didn’t do it. BMW dealer is a mile away. Went I. And traded for M5. Didn’t even know there was a competition model. Was quite disappointed when I found out but one thing that stops me from trading for it, well two things actually. Reliable reviews which state the comp has a much harder, uncomfortable ride, and the fact if I trade it will be for another 911 or a GT4.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 02:33 PM   #6
M3JHWK
Nutter
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
What does LCI stand for?

As for your question, I have a "base" M5. I had not done any research, had just driven out of Porsche dealer after thinking about trading my 2019 911t on a new 992 911s, but it did t have a heated wheel which is important to me so didn't do it. BMW dealer is a mile away. Went I. And traded for M5. Didn't even know there was a competition model. Was quite disappointed when I found out but one thing that stops me from trading for it, well two things actually. Reliable reviews which state the comp has a much harder, uncomfortable ride, and the fact if I trade it will be for another 911 or a GT4.
LCI stands for Life Cycle Impulse... just BMW talk meaning facelift.

As for ride comfort, the Competition has a stiffer setup to the regular M5. I wouldn't call it uncomfortable as such, especially if you're in the front as the seats themselves are very comfy. The rear bench, however, does flirt with being a little uncomfortable as you're almost sitting on the rear axle. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0