Captain
Rep
Drives: 16SSM3.Prev ymbM,e46m3,e39 M5

WTB M5 Lease Takeover

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
USD 1.00

Item Interest
looking to take over a lease on an m5. must be realistic on pricing since last 2 years of lease should cost less than first. i am approved and have had several BMW leases. will work with you and make it easy. Must be relatively local to New England. I do not prefer Blue, but open to any colors

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 11:45 PM   #2
platinum903
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, F85 X5M, G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey21 View Post
must be realistic on pricing since last 2 years of lease should cost less than first.
No BMW lease in the history of ever has been structured in a way that the payment lessens over time.

Appreciate 1
afo818245.00
      10-21-2020, 04:49 AM   #3
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum903 View Post
Quote:
must be realistic on pricing since last 2 years of lease should cost less than first.
No BMW lease in the history of ever has been structured in a way that the payment lessens over time.

Lol yeah never heard of a disappearing payment lease
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #4
hockey21
Captain
Rep

Quote:

i did not say that but i appreciate you jumping on my case without understanding my point! as a used car depreciates more the first year, a person looking to transfer the lease should be prepared to offer an incentive in the last year- one would assume the value of driving a car the first year of the lease is worth more than the last year.... the residual + remaining payments should equal market value of the car. so if somebody put 0 down and negotiated a bad deal at 1900 a month, they should not assume somebody wants to take over that car for the last 20 months at 1900 per month if the residual + the remaining payments dont equal the fair market value
Appreciate 1
GGG333603.50
      10-21-2020, 04:35 PM   #5
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

i did not say that but i appreciate you jumping on my case without understanding my point! as a used car depreciates more the first year, a person looking to transfer the lease should be prepared to offer an incentive in the last year- one would assume the value of driving a car the first year of the lease is worth more than the last year.... the residual + remaining payments should equal market value of the car. so if somebody put 0 down and negotiated a bad deal at 1900 a month, they should not assume somebody wants to take over that car for the last 20 months at 1900 per month if the residual + the remaining payments dont equal the fair market value
So far its very clear you still don't understand how leases work. The payment is set.

With the great residuals people have gotten from BMW on this model, you either will find one with high payments that will equal market value with residual + remaining payments or you can find one with an inflated residual value that will never equal market value, but will offer lower payments for the same car.

If you care only because you plan to buy the car out after the lease, than you should look for one with the lowest residual value or just buy one outright.

And so far I have yet to see anyone offer cash to take over their lease on an F90 M5.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #6
hockey21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHeLpErZx View Post
So far its very clear you still don't understand how leases work. The payment is set.

With the great residuals people have gotten from BMW on this model, you either will find one with high payments that will equal market value with residual + remaining payments or you can find one with an inflated residual value that will never equal market value, but will offer lower payments for the same car.

If you care only because you plan to buy the car out after the lease, than you should look for one with the lowest residual value or just buy one outright.

And so far I have yet to see anyone offer cash to take over their lease on an F90 M5.

thank you, i understand how leases work, perhaps i did not outline my point enough, i am really not looking to get into an argument, just to find a lease to take over. i have done two M3 leases and the scenario was just like you mentioned- it it worked out great for me... in one case the market value was higher than the payoff, so i made money by selling , then so be it- and if that is the case on M5's, great for the owners- however most leases the sellers have to pay to take over the lease.

my perspective if somebody puts zero down on a 125k dollar car, and payments are flat the entire 36 months ( maybe 1900-2200), drives it for 15k-20k miles, there should be some incentive for somebody to take over the lease ... if they put 5-10k down initially, then that is the incentive right there.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:18 AM   #7
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

thank you, i understand how leases work, perhaps i did not outline my point enough, i am really not looking to get into an argument, just to find a lease to take over. i have done two M3 leases and the scenario was just like you mentioned- it it worked out great for me... in one case the market value was higher than the payoff, so i made money by selling , then so be it- and if that is the case on M5's, great for the owners- however most leases the sellers have to pay to take over the lease.

my perspective if somebody puts zero down on a 125k dollar car, and payments are flat the entire 36 months ( maybe 1900-2200), drives it for 15k-20k miles, there should be some incentive for somebody to take over the lease ... if they put 5-10k down initially, then that is the incentive right there.
Agree to disagree. But I do agree I don't want to get in an argument.

Good luck on your search and god help whoever ends up dealing with you.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #8
hockey21
Captain
Rep

Quote:

you say you dont want to argue then you make a rude comment lol ....

you need to separate Payments and cost of driving. explain to me why you think a 125k dollar car should cost the same the 3rd year of driving from 25k-35k miles as a brand new one, i am not sure how you are having such a hard time figuring that out- why do you think people look for used cars instead of new ones? a person who leases a new car is assuming the first year depreciation in the lease unless they put a large sum down, i dont see any reason why somebody would take over the same payments without asking for an incentive to take over a 1.5 to 2 year old car. and for the record, most of the people transferring leases are offering an incentive, otherwise nobody will take the lease over.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 12:33 PM   #9
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

you say you dont want to argue then you make a rude comment lol ....

you need to separate Payments and cost of driving. explain to me why you think a 125k dollar car should cost the same the 3rd year of driving from 25k-35k miles as a brand new one, i am not sure how you are having such a hard time figuring that out- why do you think people look for used cars instead of new ones? a person who leases a new car is assuming the first year depreciation in the lease unless they put a large sum down, i dont see any reason why somebody would take over the same payments without asking for an incentive to take over a 1.5 to 2 year old car. and for the record, most of the people transferring leases are offering an incentive, otherwise nobody will take the lease over.

Last edited by DrHeLpErZx; 10-22-2020 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 09:28 PM   #10
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:

LMAO.

OP, you aint getting a car homie. just go to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #11
Salottox5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 m5

Here's what he's saying

He wants to assume a car where someone put large deposit down to get payments lower - & he ll assume as is

Or he's looking for someone to offer a large incentive to assume the lease

Years ago I assumed a lease on a bmw 750 for $804/month ( probably back in 2012/2013)
That lease normally at that time was $1200 ( I know bc a buddy had exact same car)
For car I assumed the gentleman put down $16,000 to have a cheaper lease of $805/month & wanted no money out of pocket to assume his lease — he actually paid me $1500 to assume — at the time it was a killer deal

2 sites I know of to look to assume a lease:

-Leasetrader
-Swapalease

Best of luck
      12-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #12
hockey21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salottox5m View Post
Here's what he's saying

He wants to assume a car where someone put large deposit down to get payments lower - & he ll assume as is

Or he's looking for someone to offer a large incentive to assume the lease

Years ago I assumed a lease on a bmw 750 for $804/month ( probably back in 2012/2013)
That lease normally at that time was $1200 ( I know bc a buddy had exact same car)
For car I assumed the gentleman put down $16,000 to have a cheaper lease of $805/month & wanted no money out of pocket to assume his lease — he actually paid me $1500 to assume — at the time it was a killer deal

2 sites I know of to look to assume a lease:

-Leasetrader
-Swapalease

Best of luck
yes this is correct. i have had several folks who have offered just this. respectfully, alot of folks on this thread are wrong, unless you think that you have equity in a m5 10-15 months into a lease. in some situations where the cars hold value incredibly well and the owner/ Leasee has equity in the car then i would be wrong... most ppl and cars are upside down a year after the lease so they have to offer some incentive to get somebody to take the car... otherwise you are right, the person assuming the lease would just go to a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #13
hockey21
Captain
Rep

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7#post26950207

read this post. it is what it is, but to reiterate my point ( i admit i did a half assed job of explaining). the first year of " use" on a lease is going to cost more than the final 2... Yes, i know the payments are not actually more, but you will be upside down on 95% of luxury car leases after the first year.

Perhaps the M5 holds better being more of an enthusiast car and holds well, but nobody in their right mind should take over a lease over without an incentive, if the residual + the payments is more than the car is worth unless somebody is dying for a term use of the car, but to take over for 2+ years, in my opinion you should get an incentive

also this one:

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779341

Last edited by hockey21; 12-03-2020 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 09:54 PM   #14
Genieman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: yes please

Quote:
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7#post26950207

read this post. it is what it is, but to reiterate my point ( i admit i did a half assed job of explaining). the first year of " use" on a lease is going to cost more than the final 2... Yes, i know the payments are not actually more, but you will be upside down on 95% of luxury car leases after the first year.

Perhaps the M5 holds better being more of an enthusiast car and holds well, but nobody in their right mind should take over a lease over without an incentive, if the residual + the payments is more than the car is worth unless somebody is dying for a term use of the car, but to take over for 2+ years, in my opinion you should get an incentive

also this one:

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779341
OP: you're doing a terrible job of explaining it, but you're 100% correct. Bottom line is this, assuming the original lease holder did not put any money down, then the lease price, while fixed for the duration of the lease period, is paying a fixed amount for a car that is continually depreciating (and the depreciation rate is non-linear, but more on that later.) In the first month you get a brand new car for $1000, in the second month you get a 1 month old car for 1000, in the third month you're getting a 2 month old car for 1000... in the 36th month you're getting a 3 year old used car for 1000 a month. If a $1000 is a fair payment, and by that I mean a payment that anyone who negotiated well can obtain (as opposed to a price that is based on a special incentive that is no longer available) then anyone can go in and get a brand new car for the same price. Explain why anyone would want to swap the lease and pay 1000 a month for a 2 year old used car when they can get the same payment for a new car???

Now back to depreciation. It's non-linear. Forget the interest in a lease for a moment. You pay 1000 a month and $36k over 3 years based on the assumption that the cars value will depreciate by 36k, but it doesn't depreciate by $1k a month. It might depreciate $14k in the first year, $12k in the second year and $10k in the third year. Obviously leases aren't structured with decreasing payments so you pay $1k a month, but the depreciation in year 2 and 3 in my example is $22k and should warrant a $916 a month payment. The difference should be shouldered by the original leaseholder through an incentive.

Bottom line is if no incentive is offered on a car that was purchased without a significant down payment and without an incentive that is no longer available, no one is going to want to pay a new car price for a used car.
Appreciate 1
JRod1980391.50
      12-04-2020, 01:19 AM   #15
bMm5w
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
OP: you're doing a terrible job of explaining it, but you're 100% correct. Bottom line is this, assuming the original lease holder did not put any money down, then the lease price, while fixed for the duration of the lease period, is paying a fixed amount for a car that is continually depreciating (and the depreciation rate is non-linear, but more on that later.) In the first month you get a brand new car for $1000, in the second month you get a 1 month old car for 1000, in the third month you're getting a 2 month old car for 1000... in the 36th month you're getting a 3 year old used car for 1000 a month. If a $1000 is a fair payment, and by that I mean a payment that anyone who negotiated well can obtain (as opposed to a price that is based on a special incentive that is no longer available) then anyone can go in and get a brand new car for the same price. Explain why anyone would want to swap the lease and pay 1000 a month for a 2 year old used car when they can get the same payment for a new car???

Now back to depreciation. It's non-linear. Forget the interest in a lease for a moment. You pay 1000 a month and $36k over 3 years based on the assumption that the cars value will depreciate by 36k, but it doesn't depreciate by $1k a month. It might depreciate $14k in the first year, $12k in the second year and $10k in the third year. Obviously leases aren't structured with decreasing payments so you pay $1k a month, but the depreciation in year 2 and 3 in my example is $22k and should warrant a $916 a month payment. The difference should be shouldered by the original leaseholder through an incentive.

Bottom line is if no incentive is offered on a car that was purchased without a significant down payment and without an incentive that is no longer available, no one is going to want to pay a new car price for a used car.
I respect your effort in clearing up OP's logic. However, I have a feeling he will screw this pooch again during the negotiations.

I would love to see the OP's PMs or emails on this deal
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 09:39 AM   #16
IBOOSTU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 COMP/21 M5 COMP FROZEN

op did you buy a car yet lol??
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #17
dchaump
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

If I may....the majority of people that lease have zero intention of ever buying the vehicle, to say a lease assumption after the first year should come with an incentive is just wrong. People give incentives to assume their lease for 2 very obvious reasons. 1. They didn't negotiate the deal very well upfront & the payment isn't competitive. Or 2. They really want to get the hell outta their lease & move on....either way that's the long & short of it. Just my 2c