BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 LCI Regular vs Competition Ride Comfort

11-07-2020, 07:42 PM   #1
BlueString
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i, 2021 F90 M5

M5 LCI Regular vs Competition Ride Comfort

Worked out a deal yesterday and my CA already secured a production number for my build in the first week of December which means I only have a short window to make any changes.

I was set on the regular base M5 since I prefer the ride comfort but with the option to drive in a firmer setting with sport/+ (I know it won’t be as firm as the comp even in that setting). This will be my daily driver replacing my F10 550 so want an all around cruiser along with the sport setting when my kids aren’t riding in the back seat.

I read the LCI competition got updated suspension settings that may offer a more softer ride than the pre-LCI. I wanted to ask all the LCI comp owners about the comfort setting and how that feels. I’ve been watching video reviews about the comp version and all say the ride is really stiff and you feel all bumps even on the most comfortable setting.

I did drive the base M5 last year at track days at the Thermal Club so familiar with that but wanted to cover all my bases before my production window closes. The two items I’m debating are either go with individual paint or competition. Please share your thoughts. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 08:09 PM   #2
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

With my LCI in its “comfort” setting, yes, I can feel bumps, but is it uncomfortable? No, absolutely not. It’s a very comfortable car, overall. It doesn’t “waft” over bumpy roads like my wife’s X7 in its comfort setting, but it certainly doesn’t shake your fillings out, either. If we had a scale from 0-100, where at 0 you feel absolutely nothing, as if you are floating over the bumps, and 100 is where you absolutely cannot stand it, and need to get out of the car, I rate it as maybe about a 10 in comfort, and maybe about a 35 in Sport+. The difference is not extreme, and even in Sport+, I would not say it is uncomfortable, just marginally stiffer.

You have to take these things for what they are worth. Perhaps you have driven much more comfortable cars than I. I am coming from daily driving a 2013 e92 M3 Competition, and I would rate the M5C as more comfortable (in any mode) than the M3 in comfort mode, so it is all relative.

Are you having a fear of missing out, if you do not select the Competition package? Unless you are like seriously sensitive to a rough ride (not saying that the M5C is rough, but still may be slightly rougher than a standard M5), then my advice is to get the competition package. The other consideration would be if you were trying to keep your cost down. Otherwise, I feel like the Competition package looks much better. The HP difference will not be felt.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:23 PM   #3
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueString View Post
Worked out a deal yesterday and my CA already secured a production number for my build in the first week of December which means I only have a short window to make any changes.

I was set on the regular base M5 since I prefer the ride comfort but with the option to drive in a firmer setting with sport/+ (I know it won’t be as firm as the comp even in that setting). This will be my daily driver replacing my F10 550 so want an all around cruiser along with the sport setting when my kids aren’t riding in the back seat.

I read the LCI competition got updated suspension settings that may offer a more softer ride than the pre-LCI. I wanted to ask all the LCI comp owners about the comfort setting and how that feels. I’ve been watching video reviews about the comp version and all say the ride is really stiff and you feel all bumps even on the most comfortable setting.

I did drive the base M5 last year at track days at the Thermal Club so familiar with that but wanted to cover all my bases before my production window closes. The two items I’m debating are either go with individual paint or competition. Please share your thoughts. Thanks!
Honestly, you're not going to notice much, they are all stuff, 2020 M5, competition or 2021 LCI, they are so similar!

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 10:32 PM   #4
Fantastic 5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp.

I disagree....my brother has a 2020 pre-LCI Comp. and I just got a LCI Comp. Big difference in ride comfort. The ride on the LCI comp is awesome for what it is. So much so I worry that they may have taken the "edge" out of it. I'm really interested to see a road test review with numbers.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 08:06 AM   #5
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19' M5 Comp.

The tires make a difference also, Michelins ride softer than the Pirellis.
Completely different ride.

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
M Performance: Exhaust Tips/Pro Spoiler/Rear Diffuser. H&R 11/11 Spacers ACG Carbon Kevlar Pads XPEL Front PPF Ceramic Pro Silver 20% Tints Instagram #m5comp
Appreciate 1
Ryno 27251.50
      11-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBisBlau View Post
With my LCI in its “comfort” setting, yes, I can feel bumps, but is it uncomfortable? No, absolutely not. It’s a very comfortable car, overall. It doesn’t “waft” over bumpy roads like my wife’s X7 in its comfort setting, but it certainly doesn’t shake your fillings out, either. If we had a scale from 0-100, where at 0 you feel absolutely nothing, as if you are floating over the bumps, and 100 is where you absolutely cannot stand it, and need to get out of the car, I rate it as maybe about a 10 in comfort, and maybe about a 35 in Sport+. The difference is not extreme, and even in Sport+, I would not say it is uncomfortable, just marginally stiffer.

You have to take these things for what they are worth. Perhaps you have driven much more comfortable cars than I. I am coming from daily driving a 2013 e92 M3 Competition, and I would rate the M5C as more comfortable (in any mode) than the M3 in comfort mode, so it is all relative.

Are you having a fear of missing out, if you do not select the Competition package? Unless you are like seriously sensitive to a rough ride (not saying that the M5C is rough, but still may be slightly rougher than a standard M5), then my advice is to get the competition package. The other consideration would be if you were trying to keep your cost down. Otherwise, I feel like the Competition package looks much better. The HP difference will not be felt.
For what it's worth, I have an M5 Competition and I can't take my wife for a drive without her getting car sick, no matter how gently I drive in comfort mode. I think it's the brakes more than anything; super sensitive.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #7
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanast View Post
For what it's worth, I have an M5 Competition and I can't take my wife for a drive without her getting car sick, no matter how gently I drive in comfort mode. I think it's the brakes more than anything; super sensitive.

I've never heard such....................
I've had 3 F90 M5's, latest being the LCI NONE are unbearable in comfort or Sport Suspension, the LCI is a tad Softer in Comfort and just great in Sport were it sits on open roads on mine always.
The LCI is very much faster from the off than any of the others.
Uncomfortable it's not.
      11-10-2020, 11:21 AM   #8
JohnnyTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

Quote:
I'm about to order an M5. My wife made one request, that it's "luxurious" in comfort mode.

We are coming from a Panamera GTS that she wished was a little softer.

Does this mean stay away from the competition and 20's?

Thanks.

ps...the reason I'm switching is had much more thrill test driving an M5 than my GTS.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2020, 12:50 PM   #9
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTT View Post
I'm about to order an M5. My wife made one request, that it's "luxurious" in comfort mode.

Thanks.

ps...the reason I'm switching is had much more thrill test driving an M5 than my GTS.
Ignore this guy, the car is comfortable, go test drive one before committing nothing lost then is there.
      11-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #10
JohnnyTT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Ignore this guy, the car is comfortable, go test drive one before committing nothing lost then is there.
Ignore me? Or are you saying ignore the above who say it's not comfortable??

Local dealer doesn't have a comp version.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 04:43 PM   #11
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ignore me? Or are you saying ignore the above who say it's not comfortable??

Local dealer doesn't have a comp version.
The guy that says it's uncomfortable, not you.
      11-10-2020, 04:58 PM   #12
JohnnyTT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The guy that says it's uncomfortable, not you.
Groovy.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 04:43 AM   #13
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

I haven't driven the regular M5, only the competition. If she has a tendency to get car sick, she might not like it. If she's looking for a soft ride, she won't like it. Otherwise the car is impressive in every way so she won't help but to think it luxurious.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 05:54 AM   #14
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

I had many of the same questions and posted about suspension firmness concerns. In the end, I bought an Alpina B7. Crazy comfort and still fast as hell. Problem solved.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      11-14-2020, 05:55 AM   #15
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post
Just do what I did. Get an Alpina B7. Problem solved.
Alpina here in the uk loose so much money way more than "M" cars.
      11-14-2020, 06:04 AM   #16
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Alpina here in the uk loose so much money way more than "M" cars.
Is the thread about finding comfort in a performance car or minimizing depreciation? Can’t fathom any of these performance cars are wise investments.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 06:09 AM   #17
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Is the thread about finding comfort in a performance car or minimizing depreciation? Can’t fathom any of these performance cars are wise investments.
The Alpina here is no more comfortable and it's equivalent the M550i.
M5 different league.
      11-14-2020, 06:17 AM   #18
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The Alpina here is no more comfortable and it's equivalent the M550i.
M5 different league.
I spent enough time in the M5, m550 and B7 to know better. But you be you. Sorry to step on your toes with my suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 06:21 AM   #19
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I spent enough time in the M5, m550 and B7 to know better. But you be you. Sorry to step on your toes with my suggestion.
Not a problem just my observation this side of the pond, no offense intended.
      11-14-2020, 06:26 AM   #20
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not a problem just my observation this side of the pond, no offense intended.
None taken.

I was worried I offended you or suggested one was better than the other. I drove several pre-LCI M5’s and always wondered if the revised suspension would be an improvement. I have a tricky back (and a grumpy wife) and wasn’t sure she would like riding in it.

I absolutely love your LCI M5. I just couldn’t fit my 6 foot son comfortably in the back seat and we spend a lot of time on the highway visiting his sisters at their colleges so it didn’t work for me. The m550 was a great car too, but I find the B7 to be immeasurably smoother. Just my take.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 06:33 AM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
None taken.

I was worried I offended you or suggested one was better than the other. I drove several pre-LCI M5’s and always wondered if the revised suspension would be an improvement. I have a tricky back (and a grumpy wife) and wasn’t sure she would like riding in it.

I absolutely love your LCI M5. I just couldn’t fit my 6 foot son comfortably in the back seat and we spend a lot of time on the highway visiting his sisters at their colleges so it didn’t work for me. The m550 was a great car too, but I find the B7 to be immeasurably smoother. Just my take.

Cheers.
We all see /feel different in cars, I think the Alpina has a Extra Comfort setting, that could be the one for your bad back, anyway keep in good health these times are for want of a better word S**T,
      11-15-2020, 10:11 AM   #22
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
I had many of the same questions and posted about suspension firmness concerns. In the end, I bought an Alpina B7. Crazy comfort and still fast as hell. Problem solved.
Beautiful car indeed... I've owned five 7's and just sold the current one. Although I have never owned a B7, it was on my radar. Its only my wife and I now so I am looking at a LCI or CPO. I never get to enjoy the back seat and would be mad when friends and family got to enjoy the ride from the back. Next car is all about me.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0