E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Shift Selector Rod for short shifter.

07-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Shift Selector Rod for short shifter.

Looking at getting a short shifter (likely the BMW performance one) and have been reading about replacing the selector rod as well. I've read of problems with the UUC DSSR units adding play instead of eliminating it.

Anyone use the AKG one? Thoughts/Experiences? Didn't see much come up in search.
http://www.akgmotorsport.com/catalog...e9x%20Shifters

Also is the one sold on BMS just the UUC one? Doesn't say it is but it looks similar and they offer up the instructions for install based on UUC.
      07-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

the DSSRs are all based off the same BMW DTM design from 25 years ago. I don't know why the UUC one would add more play and the AKG one wouldn't, they're both copies of BMW parts. My guess is somebody installed just the selector rod but didn't replace any of the worn out bushings. You definitely want to replace any other plastic / moving parts with it (selector rod joint included). the stock selector rod tends to oval them out which adds to the shifter slop.

I have a DSSR in my E30, I wouldn't go back. the AKG stuff looks really nice, to be honest I'd be inclined to give them my business over UUC.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
the DSSRs are all based off the same BMW DTM design from 25 years ago. I don't know why the UUC one would add more play and the AKG one wouldn't, they're both copies of BMW parts. My guess is somebody installed just the selector rod but didn't replace any of the worn out bushings. You definitely want to replace any other plastic / moving parts with it (selector rod joint included). the stock selector rod tends to oval them out which adds to the shifter slop.

I have a DSSR in my E30, I wouldn't go back. the AKG stuff looks really nice, to be honest I'd be inclined to give them my business over UUC.
With everything I've read so far I am also inclined to give them my business. Thanks for your feedback.

Edit: 1000 posts yay

Last edited by Agentphish; 07-15-2015 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0