BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

interesting conversation with a dinan dealer

I just got off the phone a few hours ago from a dealer in new jersey(non bmw) and he explained that if something were to go wrong with the car that i could bring it to any of the BMW-dinan dealerships and just get my work done just like that...no questions asked. and as dinan dealers they would just ship the bill over the bmwna and them and dinan would argue over who has to pay it.

also(this i find to be ridiculous) but he mentioned that dinan has a great interest in the 135 and is coming out with a multitude of performance parts for it. However, they do not have plans on a downpipe because from the tests they have run it makes no power...after stating that he quickly got off the phone with me...i think he thought i was a little less knowledgeable than i actually am. Uhhmmm what are your thoughts on these things? The downpipe is COMPLETE and utter bullshit...you get gains from NA cars from a straight pipe but turbocharged cars you see googobs of gain...idunno..just thinking outloud.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frimmelnojerz View Post
I just got off the phone a few hours ago from a dealer in new jersey(non bmw) and he explained that if something were to go wrong with the car that i could bring it to any of the BMW-dinan dealerships and just get my work done just like that...no questions asked. and as dinan dealers they would just ship the bill over the bmwna and them and dinan would argue over who has to pay it.

also(this i find to be ridiculous) but he mentioned that dinan has a great interest in the 135 and is coming out with a multitude of performance parts for it. However, they do not have plans on a downpipe because from the tests they have run it makes no power...after stating that he quickly got off the phone with me...i think he thought i was a little less knowledgeable than i actually am. Uhhmmm what are your thoughts on these things? The downpipe is COMPLETE and utter bullshit...you get gains from NA cars from a straight pipe but turbocharged cars you see googobs of gain...idunno..just thinking outloud.

I would call him back

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
JohnnyTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post
I would call him back
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

He might not hear the phone. It sounds as though his head is up his (edit).
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

i thought so...interestingly enough he was one of dinans platinum dealers which made me a little confused...ill probably just stay far far away from them and end up doing business with a BMW/dinan dealer so we all are perfectly aware that im getting the car modified AND it will be under warranty. I dont think a bmw dealership would mod a car and then say "whoops we just voided your warranty. bye."
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #6
blklacker
Captain
Rep

Quote:
i thought so...interestingly enough he was one of dinans platinum dealers which made me a little confused...ill probably just stay far far away from them and end up doing business with a BMW/dinan dealer so we all are perfectly aware that im getting the car modified AND it will be under warranty. I dont think a bmw dealership would mod a car and then say "whoops we just voided your warranty. bye."
Maybe the guy was just a salesman and honestly isn't a gear head.
but for what ever its worth
read thru this post regarding Dinan tune problems and voiding of warranty problems it caused for the OP poor guy http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11972

also after you dinan tune you can never get your vehicle BMW certified Used, which kills your overall value of your car or trade value. When it comes to BMW and dinan upgrade I highly suggest reading the fine print. Good luck with what ever choice you make.

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 02:29 AM   #7
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Quote:
read thru this post regarding Dinan tune problems and voiding of warranty problems it caused for the OP poor guy http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11972

also after you dinan tune you can never get your vehicle BMW certified Used, which kills your overall value of your car or trade value. When it comes to BMW and dinan upgrade I highly suggest reading the fine print. Good luck with what ever choice you make.
there hasnt been a proven problem with his warranty yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 07:18 AM   #8
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:

I'll bet the real reason is emission regulations issues. I wonder how many current downpipe vendors sell them for "off road use only." Maybe Dinan doesn't think it's worth the hassle of having them certified.

What's funny is there is very little gain by spending $2k more for Dinan's catback exhaust. It goes from 384hp to something like 392hp. I'll bet you would gain more than that with downpipes.
      07-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #9
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

DPs=30rwhp on a STOCK car. Biggest power mod other than boost modification.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #10
blklacker
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLS View Post
there hasnt been a proven problem with his warranty yet.
No kidding, but its a great thread to follow since it somewhat pretains to the OP orignal scope of problems and questions, since we havent heard word back from the OP yet the outcome is yet to be determined.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #11
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Just curious what you have against DINAN ? Or are you a SSTT troll? DINAN has been servicing the BMW community for over 25 years. They are not a fly by night outfit (NOT saying the others tunes are) their warranty means something. It has a very positive track record over multiple years. I’m not saying it is perfect, but it adds a lot of coverage. Is the coverage worth the extra $800-1400 ? That is a personal decision.

On the other hand I have no clue where you are going with your idea of “invisible modds” on this and the referenced thread. You seem to advocate defrauding the manufacture to get warranty coverage you are NOT entitled to and lying to keep your trade-in value higher and to get BMW to falsely certify your car when you trade it in.

If I am miss understanding what you are advocating with your “invisible modds” please clarify. But it sure looks like you are advocating unethical and possible illegal behavior. All tunes puts the stress on the car. It seems that you just don’t want to take responsibility for your actions.
      07-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Quote:
No kidding, but its a great thread to follow since it somewhat pretains to the OP orignal scope of problems and questions, since we havent heard word back from the OP yet the outcome is yet to be determined.
Hey dude, I read the thread, what you said regarding to it doesn't make sense, since it showed he isn't having a problem with DINAN yet. Why don't you look it over before commenting.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #13
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had talked to 2 guys who had problems with their Dinan tuned cars but Dinan took care of them though I felt after talking to them their hpfp failure was BMW's own. So far so good in Michigan and I went for the tune after talking to them. For me I paid for Dinan's research and the level of sophistication more than the 4 yr warranty coz I am thinking about keeping my car longer.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
I'll bet the real reason is emission regulations issues. I wonder how many current downpipe vendors sell them for "off road use only." Maybe Dinan doesn't think it's worth the hassle of having them certified.

What's funny is there is very little gain by spending $2k more for Dinan's catback exhaust. It goes from 384hp to something like 392hp. I'll bet you would gain more than that with downpipes.

.. you hit the nail on the head!

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #15
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
... What's funny is there is very little gain by spending $2k more for Dinan's catback exhaust. It goes from 384hp to something like 392hp. I'll bet you would gain more than that with downpipes.
And in the process of adding DPs, lose the Dinan warranty as well as BMW's. :iono:
      07-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #16
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
And in the process of adding DPs, lose the Dinan warranty as well as BMW's. :iono:
Hi Mike,

Be ready for a little fight with Rissracing guys:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #17
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

It's not just downpipes. It is a known fact Dinan will void their warranty if other non-Dinan or non-BMW mods are added to a car. And of course the Dinan ECU flash voided the BMW warranty.
      07-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #18
blklacker
Captain
Rep

guys we all know bolt on parts are removable and will not void any warranties as long as you replace stock items before you visit your dealer.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #19
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Oh, and for all those wondering, BMW does monitor these boards. Their customer service folks actually have a login here and they have intervened for a 1Addict when they were experiencing a problem with their car.

(Let's see how many 'sigs' get smaller now. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #20
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Big brother is always watching!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #21
jrc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Oh, and for all those wondering, BMW does monitor these boards. Their customer service folks actually have a login here and they have intervened for a 1Addict when they were experiencing a problem with their car.

(Let's see how many 'sigs' get smaller now. ; -)
LOL -- I think you may have just been pwned by atr_hugo blackadder. unbolting doesn't help much if you're on here advertising your mods on a very specifically identifiable car. Dunno, NAL, but wouldn't that be called an "admission against interest" in a court of law.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #22
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
Very true but I never said I planned on doing downpipes.:biggrin:

I'm *only* doing dinan software and maybe CF rear diffuser.. if I still feel like I haven't spent enough money.