BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    M5 vs Nismo. M5 rep'd well !

12-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #23
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
I actually meant the PS4S - I had them on my M550ix before the M5CP - but you are correct - I quoted the treadwear for the PS4 which I didn't even know existed lol. Still at 300 tread wear though. I must also admit - I did not know the Pzeros are 220? Actually makes me like my - what I thought was unlucky - "gift" of PZero's on my car. That said - tread wear ratings are tricky these days. The original Cup 1's were - I believe 60 tread wear - and the PS2's are 180 - but they are just as soft. My understanding is that the ratings combine different compound ratings within the same tire and perhaps average them out...I don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHURACAN View Post
Vtk, the M5 was not running on Michelins but PZeros, which are 220 treadwear.
Treadwear comparisons like this are pointless. There is no set standard for treadwear so one manufacturer's "200" is not comparable to "200" from anyone else and won't give you a good indicator of performance level. They are only useful within the same manufacturer to figure out which tires last longer than others or which ones may be stickier / softer than others.

The P Zero may be a 220 but that's only because it's an old, POS tire that wears out too quickly compared to more modern designs. It does not have the same grip level of a Pilot Super Sport or Pilot Sport 4S in the dry or wet. Pirelli's next generation PZ4 tire still can't match the Pilot Super Sport.

Aside from differences between manufacturer ratings, the PSS and PS4S last a lot longer than a tire with their grip level normally would because the inner portion of the tread is actually a harder compound than the outer portion, you do straight-ahead driving on the harder rubber that takes longer to wear out but the softer rubber is there where it needs to be for cornering. This is why PSS has always been surprisingly easy to spin in straight line drag races, it isn't quite as good of a drag racing tire as some others in this category because the full width of the contact patch is not the stickier, softer rubber compound.

I deal with a LOT of GTRs at work, I'm very familiar with the various stock tires they come with and I'll just say the Nismo's tires may be runflats but they are also fairly serious performance tires as far as streetable runflats go...

"SP Sport Maxx GT 600 DSST CTT tires are currently available in three versions: one for 2013 and earlier model year vehicles, another for 2014 and later cars, and the third version, NR1, specifically for the GT-R NISMO. As indicated below, tires for 2014 model year and later cars feature shallower molded tread depths to provide sharper handling and more performance from the beginning, with the NR1 tires featuring the least tread depth to place the highest focus on the extreme dry performance."
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:34 PM   #24
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHURACAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post
Here's hoping Nissan can set the bar even higher with the R36. Why you ask? Because it will continue to push other performance cars forward.
If they get any quicker it will be called teleportation!
so true
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:01 PM   #25
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Treadwear comparisons like this are pointless. There is no set standard for treadwear so one manufacturer's "200" is not comparable to "200" from anyone else and won't give you a good indicator of performance level. They are only useful within the same manufacturer to figure out which tires last longer than others or which ones may be stickier / softer than others.

The P Zero may be a 220 but that's only because it's an old, POS tire that wears out too quickly compared to more modern designs. It does not have the same grip level of a Pilot Super Sport or Pilot Sport 4S in the dry or wet. Pirelli's next generation PZ4 tire still can't match the Pilot Super Sport.

Aside from differences between manufacturer ratings, the PSS and PS4S last a lot longer than a tire with their grip level normally would because the inner portion of the tread is actually a harder compound than the outer portion, you do straight-ahead driving on the harder rubber that takes longer to wear out but the softer rubber is there where it needs to be for cornering. This is why PSS has always been surprisingly easy to spin in straight line drag races, it isn't quite as good of a drag racing tire as some others in this category because the full width of the contact patch is not the stickier, softer rubber compound.

I deal with a LOT of GTRs at work, I'm very familiar with the various stock tires they come with and I'll just say the Nismo's tires may be runflats but they are also fairly serious performance tires as far as streetable runflats go...

"SP Sport Maxx GT 600 DSST CTT tires are currently available in three versions: one for 2013 and earlier model year vehicles, another for 2014 and later cars, and the third version, NR1, specifically for the GT-R NISMO. As indicated below, tires for 2014 model year and later cars feature shallower molded tread depths to provide sharper handling and more performance from the beginning, with the NR1 tires featuring the least tread depth to place the highest focus on the extreme dry performance."
Agreed on your tire compound point...plus as per my post - they seem to combine and average out compound numbers.

The Dunlops however, stink. Tires are a major sore spot in the R35 community. Everyone changes over to R888's (and now R888R's) for any real performance needs.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 12:40 AM   #26
ljb
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

15 (M5) to 30 of lap times

Surprised I'll say that

#proudmoment
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
onfireX53616.50
Draper3454.00