BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 Question

08-31-2021, 04:13 PM   #1
TheProphetK
Registered
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

M5 Question

Hi Guys,

I've had a few M5's over the years and currently have an F90. I recently had a lousy experience where it was evident that a dealer's service department joyrode my M5. Seat settings were all messed with, radio presets changed to rap music, etc.

Can anyone recommend any GPS trackers that will monitor and provide historical data on where the car has been, speed it has travelled at, acceleration and braking habits, etc. I'm looking for something that can easily be installed and that links with an app on my cell phone. I know there are a lot of units out there - just wondering if anyone with an F90 or similar has had a good experience with one of these trackers.

I would appreciate your help very much.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 09:02 PM   #2
Lee1224
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProphetK View Post
Hi Guys,

I've had a few M5's over the years and currently have an F90. I recently had a lousy experience where it was evident that a dealer's service department joyrode my M5. Seat settings were all messed with, radio presets changed to rap music, etc.

Can anyone recommend any GPS trackers that will monitor and provide historical data on where the car has been, speed it has travelled at, acceleration and braking habits, etc. I'm looking for something that can easily be installed and that links with an app on my cell phone. I know there are a lot of units out there - just wondering if anyone with an F90 or similar has had a good experience with one of these trackers.

Thank you!
When my daughter went to college I got a MasTrack installed in her car. It was an added piece of mind. Check out their web site for info. It did everything you mentioned: harsh braking! Hard acceleration, speed, speed limit,….you can even see how much gas in car, voltage, problem codes with vehicle, etc. you can track the car and see where car is instantly or see where it has been all day today or yesterday or a week ago. I have been happy with it. There is a subscription fee for all this of course. Now she has graduated and working in another state, I still kept the unit in her car. There are times when I can’t reach her, but I can always ck to see where car is. Again , an added piece of mind…….parenting
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 09:29 PM   #3
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

To Op,

Why not ask for a referral and go to a dealer that you can trust?
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 11:33 PM   #4
BayDriverSF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 2021

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thank you!
This happened at an Audi dealer in the Bay Area a few years ago. They forgot to turn off the interior dash cam, so it was all recorded, including the cocaine snorting part. The owner later posted the video online. It was all over the news:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/ne...ide-lunch.html

https://sfist.com/2016/04/18/video_p...ealership_mec/
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 05:23 AM   #5
norbtx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

I took my car in for some recalls and software updates and a lot of my settings were reset to factory defaults. Maybe that's what you're experiencing and not joy riding.
      09-01-2021, 08:09 AM   #6
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thank you!
The I-drive system does record the MPG. So if they did drive the car hard, you can see the MPG took a dip. It shows a graph of the MPG for the mileage. So based on your receipt you can see the miles the car was in the dealer's possession and MPG during that time.

I also believe the My BMW app will show you the current location of the vehicle, but I do not believe it retains past locations. How many miles were added between drop off and pickup? This should be on the receipt.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #7
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbtx View Post
I took my car in for some recalls and software updates and a lot of my settings were reset to factory defaults. Maybe that's what you're experiencing and not joy riding.
For the most recent OBD vent recall (all they do is just load new software into the car) the mechanics definitely took my car out for a test drive. The test drive procedure is listed on the printout of the work they did.
Appreciate 0