BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Has anyone noticed the LCI not having laser lights, color change Bowers&Wilkins, or a

10-07-2021, 11:28 PM   #1
Jacob_Tyler_Freed
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5Competition LCI

Has anyone noticed the LCI not having laser lights, color change Bowers&Wilkins, or a

I feel like nobody has talked about this (or at least I've tried searching for a forum and haven't found anything)

Does anyone know why BMW decided to not give the US laser headlights and instead gave us non adaptive LED ones?

All US spec M5 only have LEDs that do NOT move when you turn the wheel, only up and down. It does have the cornering light, but that's it.

Another issue I noticed is the assisted driving package with autopilot doesn't change lanes for you.
In my 2021 750i and 2019 M850i coupe, you tap the turn signal, and the car will change lanes for you while in autopilot, so long as you gently hold the wheel. The M5 however does not do this.

Lastly, the Bowers&Wilkins… so my 750i and M850i have it too, and change color with the ambient lighting.
My M5Competition LCI is Individual British Racing Green with the Tartufo interior and the Bowers&Wilkins. Now obviously I have the ambient lighting set to green. But, the stereo stays white, and there's no option to change the color of it in the M5.

If anyone knows these weird issues or quirks that'd be great.
This is my first post so I'm curious
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2021, 11:53 PM   #2
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

You have the change the lighting for the speakers separately or activate it I think… I’d have to check mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 12:04 AM   #3
Jacob_Tyler_Freed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryInch View Post
You have the change the lighting for the speakers separately or activate it I think… I'd have to check mine.
I've tried looking in every menu involving the stereo.
I just don't get why they'd either forget to put that option in, or get rid of it on purpose.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 01:21 AM   #4
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Tyler_Freed View Post
I feel like nobody has talked about this (or at least I've tried searching for a forum and haven't found anything)

Does anyone know why BMW decided to not give the US laser headlights and instead gave us non adaptive LED ones?

All US spec M5 only have LEDs that do NOT move when you turn the wheel, only up and down. It does have the cornering light, but that's it.

Another issue I noticed is the assisted driving package with autopilot doesn't change lanes for you.
In my 2021 750i and 2019 M850i coupe, you tap the turn signal, and the car will change lanes for you while in autopilot, so long as you gently hold the wheel. The M5 however does not do this.

Lastly, the Bowers&Wilkins… so my 750i and M850i have it too, and change color with the ambient lighting.
My M5Competition LCI is Individual British Racing Green with the Tartufo interior and the Bowers&Wilkins. Now obviously I have the ambient lighting set to green. But, the stereo stays white, and there's no option to change the color of it in the M5.

My 2021 M5C changes lanes just fine by tapping the turn signal stalk in self driving mode, but only on divided highways.
Appreciate 2
VPRKLR63.00
M5 London307.00
      10-08-2021, 01:52 AM   #5
Jacob_Tyler_Freed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post
Quote:

My 2021 M5C changes lanes just fine by tapping the turn signal stalk in self driving mode, but only on divided highways.
It seems that I'll have to take mine to the dealership. It refuses to switch lanes on its own.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 02:11 AM   #6
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
It seems that I'll have to take mine to the dealership. It refuses to switch lanes on its own.
Mine does it, BUT I will NOT be letting it, I think I can just about move the steering wheel on my own.
Maverik2594133.00
      10-08-2021, 07:01 AM   #7
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:

The topic of laser lights not available on US 5 series has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum. No one knows for sure why, but they are not available and will not be available in this generation.
Appreciate 2
      10-08-2021, 09:30 AM   #8
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Quote:

The topic of laser lights not available on US 5 series has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum. No one knows for sure why, but they are not available and will not be available in this generation.
Because they don't comply with FMVSS 108.

F90 CS have them via A Waiver of Non-Conformity due to the production volume being low enough to utilize this.
Appreciate 2
      10-08-2021, 09:42 AM   #9
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
See my response above. F90 LCI do have Adaptive LED installed, but the function is deactivated because it's no longer a mechanical system. Once it's legal for BMW to do so, the Digital AHL functions can be activated with an OTA update.

Quote:
In my 2021 750i and 2019 M850i coupe, you tap the turn signal, and the car will change lanes for you while in autopilot, so long as you gently hold the wheel.

My M5 Competition LCI is [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Individual British Racing Green[/COLOR]
Active Lane Change Assistant is deleted with Individual Paint.
Appreciate 1
Almaretto2372.50
      10-08-2021, 09:46 AM   #10
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Seriously? WTF is that all about?

Also, isn’t there a box you have to check, somewhere in the menus, that you have to allow this? Maybe I’m misremembering, and I don’t have my car with me right now, so can’t check.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 10:11 AM   #11
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBisBlau View Post
Quote:
Seriously? WTF is that all about?

Also, isn’t there a box you have to check, somewhere in the menus, that you have to allow this? Maybe I’m misremembering, and I don’t have my car with me right now, so can’t check.
The operational accuracy requirements of the Side Radar Units can be affected by the paint (application thickness, material composition). All serial paint colors are tested with the units and calibrated to assure compliance with the regulations.
Appreciate 4
Namelss754.50
G30 B581546.50
Almaretto2372.50
      10-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #12
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

That is wild. I couldn't even imagine the reason. Pretty interesting.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #13
Jacob_Tyler_Freed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
See my response above. F90 LCI do have Adaptive LED installed, but the function is deactivated because it's no longer a mechanical system. Once it's legal for BMW to do so, the Digital AHL functions can be activated with an OTA update.

Quote:
In my 2021 750i and 2019 M850i coupe, you tap the turn signal, and the car will change lanes for you while in autopilot, so long as you gently hold the wheel.

My M5 Competition LCI is [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Individual British Racing Green[/COLOR]
Lane change assist is actually removed because of paint?!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 11:31 AM   #14
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes, individual paint only
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 11:44 AM   #15
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Yes. Active Lange Change Assist is dependent on the systems ability to accurately detect and avoid obstacles within very specific parameters. Because Individual Paint can interfere with with this, the feature is removed. It's shown on the window sticker/build sheet as option 8TR - Decoding Additional Function
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 11:56 AM   #16
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Well very interesting. TIL.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 12:06 PM   #17
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Yes, I miss the Lazer Lights on my 2022 M5. I did not know this about the individual paint, very interesting.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #18
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

No Laser lights. So annoying. Opening an old wound. Often debated. Canada 5's have them. Euro 5's have them. USA doesnt. But theyre available on most every other series in the states. Just so aggravating.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 12:53 PM   #19
GhostOne_322
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 CS (BSM/Red/Gold)

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
The European Laser lights did not pass regulatory here in the US. We get a less powerful version...
2023 M3 CS BSM / Gold Wheels / Red Steel Brakes - daily || 2020 M5C Verde Ermes Pearl Individual / Full Tartufo - sold at asking price || 2020 M5C Singapore Gray/Aragon Brown - in memoriam (totaled) || 2017 X5M Donington/Criollo Brown - Full Dinan Package - retired || 2007 and 2014 GC SRT - retired || 2004 M3 E46 Convertible Estoril Blue/Red - retired || 2002 745Li Kalahari Beige / Beige - retired || 2000 X5 3.0i manual (first BMW and retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #20
ChalkyM5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M5C, 21 Taycan, 21 SQ8

Quote:
Yes. Active Lange Change Assist is dependent on the systems ability to accurately detect and avoid obstacles within very specific parameters. Because Individual Paint can interfere with with this, the feature is removed. It's shown on the window sticker/build sheet as option 8TR - Decoding Additional Function
That is wild! I always thought it was odd my car didn't have that feature. Is this something that can be coded back on? Or is it physically missing something to make it work?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 03:46 AM   #21
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Only the brightness on Bowers and Wilkins lighting can be changed. The colour cannot be varied like the rest of the ambient lighting. This is deliberate and designed so that the B&W has its own signature lighting design. Can’t speak for other models in the range but this is how it is on the G30/F90.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 07:10 PM   #22
Jacob_Tyler_Freed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstone_UK View Post
Only the brightness on Bowers and Wilkins lighting can be changed. The colour cannot be varied like the rest of the ambient lighting. This is deliberate and designed so that the B&W has its own signature lighting design. Can’t speak for other models in the range but this is how it is on the G30/F90.
That's dumb. The X5, X6, X7, 8Series, 7Series and even the pre facelift 5 series, and those cars (but the 5) in M models all have color changing B&W. That's just ridiculous.

The video here is of when I got an M850i test car for a few weeks from BMW.
It's just odd. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0