BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Exhaust vibration

01-28-2022, 02:54 AM   #23
LM5 comp
Registered
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp LCI

Hi all, Thanks for all posting on this forum so I could identify some people facing the same issue!! I have a UK M5 Comp LCI with the same issue. It has been into the dealers once for a period, they changed part of the exhaust, and no improvement. They then updated the software at BMW's suggestion but no improvement and have come back to say BMW have no fix and BMW say its a characteristic of the exhaust system.

I have tried to live with it but every time I start it up the vibration is there. I wondered if anyone else had managed to get the issue fixed, and how other UK customers had progressed with BMW UK on this? Many thanks!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 06:39 AM   #24
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM5 comp View Post
Hi all, Thanks for all posting on this forum so I could identify some people facing the same issue!! I have a UK M5 Comp LCI with the same issue. It has been into the dealers once for a period, they changed part of the exhaust, and no improvement. They then updated the software at BMW's suggestion but no improvement and have come back to say BMW have no fix and BMW say its a characteristic of the exhaust system.

I have tried to live with it but every time I start it up the vibration is there. I wondered if anyone else had managed to get the issue fixed, and how other UK customers had progressed with BMW UK on this? Many thanks!!!!
I have had my rear silencer replaced, and the problem still persists. They then changed both rear actuators, with no joy. They then changed the whole exhaust, from another car with 2k miles, that was apparently silent, and the fault still persists. Ive been told the same story, it can be a characteristic.
The service manager at my dealers, who is also a friend, has been running a new M3, and he told me the other day, that has started doing it too. I know of another chap, that bought a slightly used 3k mile M5 Comp, that had this problem, and he rejected it within 30 days, and they gave him his money back. Mine seems to do this for around 10 secs now, when i havent used the car for a long period of time, but is ok when started from warm, when i do actually use it. If i keep my car, i will go for an after market silencer, to see if that sorts it. I dont think it could possibly be software related, and feel its more a hardware problem. This is my 3rd F90 M5 , and my other two were silent.
Appreciate 2
MB6257.50
Holset272.50
      01-30-2022, 07:09 AM   #25
LM5 comp
Registered
Rep

Thanks Simon, very useful info there. I agree it definitely feels like a hardware issue. The vibration from mine is on a cold startup but will last a few minutes. Shame as the car is a fantastic allrounder in pretty much everyway! I will pick it up further with BMW UK and see what they say.
Appreciate 1
MB6257.50
      01-30-2022, 09:43 AM   #26
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM5 comp View Post
Thanks Simon, very useful info there. I agree it definitely feels like a hardware issue. The vibration from mine is on a cold startup but will last a few minutes. Shame as the car is a fantastic allrounder in pretty much everyway! I will pick it up further with BMW UK and see what they say.
Let me know if you have any joy .
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 03:47 AM   #27
MB625
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Comp. LCI

Greetings folks,
BMW AG reverted through my local dealer. Apparently a 'fix' should be deployed to dealers come April.
Perhaps it may be worth it to ask about the same of BMW UK.

@LM5 comp/@Simon H - can you confirm whether the vibrations only occur with the left side exhaust?

Last edited by MB625; 02-22-2022 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: Add. Question:
Appreciate 1
Holset272.50
      02-22-2022, 05:41 AM   #28
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1991 View Post
Greetings folks,
BMW AG reverted through my local dealer. Apparently a 'fix' should be deployed to dealers come April.
Perhaps it may be worth it to ask about the same of BMW UK.

@LM5 comp/@Simon H - can you confirm whether the vibrations only occur with the left side exhaust?
It is mainly the left side, as stood looking from the rear, yes. I now know of two other instances of cars with this problem here in the UK, both have had Sara/Zara ? cases raised so BMW UK are definitely aware of this. Mine is still doing it, and we are now convinced, that it is the valve butterfly that is vibrating. So there must be some play in its spindle/seat or along those lines. I bet a tweak of the actuator spring, or something similar is all that is needed, and could be quickly found if investigated by the right people
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 03:59 AM   #29
LM5 comp
Registered
Rep

Yes mainly leftside as well. Sounds promising that they may have a fix soon…
Appreciate 1
MB6257.50
      02-23-2022, 04:08 AM   #30
MB625
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
It is mainly the left side, as stood looking from the rear, yes. I now know of two other instances of cars with this problem here in the UK, both have had Sara/Zara ? cases raised so BMW UK are definitely aware of this. Mine is still doing it, and we are now convinced, that it is the valve butterfly that is vibrating. So there must be some play in its spindle/seat or along those lines. I bet a tweak of the actuator spring, or something similar is all that is needed, and could be quickly found if investigated by the right people
Thank you both for confirming! Intriguing that both DE/UK instances are taking a relaxed approach.
Could not agree more, however the reticence to undertake a quick fix is limitless it appears. Not sure if you have noticed this as well, said noise is accentuated if the vehicle is on an incline during the cold start phase. Even if the valve is the culprit, the exhaust pipe itself should not be vibrating that vigorously. My two cents...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 07:28 AM   #31
scotty91ss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M5, '15 X5M,'91Chev454ss

OMG, I can't believe this is the first time I read this thread. Mine does the same. 2019 with 30,000 km. I did a full Akrapovic exhaust replacement from the beginning so I thought it was my new exhaust that causes the vibrating. Mine is on the right side. Putting downward pressure on the pipe (with my foot) makes it stop. I thought it was heat shield. Could it be a hanger? I was going to code out the cold start as a fix.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 07:37 AM   #32
MB625
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty91ss View Post
OMG, I can't believe this is the first time I read this thread. Mine does the same. 2019 with 30,000 km. I did a full Akrapovic exhaust replacement from the beginning so I thought it was my new exhaust that causes the vibrating. Mine is on the right side. Putting downward pressure on the pipe (with my foot) makes it stop. I thought it was heat shield. Could it be a hanger? I was going to code out the cold start as a fix.
Cheers for the details Scott. Goes to show that it does not only apply to the LCI variants... Honestly, equally maintaining the expectation that it's something external. Similarly, placing something beneath the pipe also quiets down the noise. Did you retain your downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 08:41 AM   #33
scotty91ss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M5, '15 X5M,'91Chev454ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB625 View Post
Cheers for the details Scott. Goes to show that it does not only apply to the LCI variants... Honestly, equally maintaining the expectation that it's something external. Similarly, placing something beneath the pipe also quiets down the noise. Did you retain your downpipes?

I just replaced my secondaries, allowing for a very comfortable sound. My old X5M was fully done up... and loud.
Appreciate 1
MB6257.50
      05-27-2022, 01:29 PM   #34
sharky67
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Exclamation M5 F90 2021 LCI rattle issue

Hi ,

I have a M5 2021 comp LCI . UK car

Has a buzzing rattle coming from exhaust , dealer has said they need to change the middle part of the exhaust . Cut and clamp . Saying it’s a flap issue . Reading all this not sure now … happens when cold in the mornings . Lasts about 1 minute . But very annoying

Has anyone got to the bottom of this problem yet ?. Really don’t want to go backwards and forwards with my BMW dealer in the west mids

Here is a link to the sound video : https://youtube.com/shorts/eH94Gntu7zM?feature=share

Last edited by sharky67; 05-27-2022 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: More detail
Appreciate 1
MB6257.50
      05-28-2022, 03:37 AM   #35
MB625
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky67 View Post
Hi ,

I have a M5 2021 comp LCI . UK car

Has a buzzing rattle coming from exhaust , dealer has said they need to change the middle part of the exhaust . Cut and clamp . Saying it’s a flap issue . Reading all this not sure now … happens when cold in the mornings . Lasts about 1 minute . But very annoying

Has anyone got to the bottom of this problem yet ?. Really don’t want to go backwards and forwards with my BMW dealer in the west mids

Here is a link to the sound video : https://youtube.com/shorts/eH94Gntu7zM?feature=share

Thanks for the post, and sincerely sorry to hear you're having the exact same issue. Honestly, it's remarkable that they sound the same regardless of region. Newest update is, that the manufacturer (Boysen) has a revised design and they are being built at present. The whole tract is to be replaced - i.e. from the OPF all the way to the tips.

Naturally with all the incumbent geopolitical issues, there are delays. No ETC at present. In any event, would suggest that you and your UK colleagues (above) place yourself on a waiting list of sorts. Even with the shorter cold start phase, now that we have slightly higher temperatures; it's still exceedingly annoying...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 03:48 AM   #36
sharky67
Rep

Thanks for your response . Yeah it’s very annoying and I’m surprised they have not moved quicker to remedy this issue . The rattle is very annoying .

I have followed up directly with BMW Uk as to when I will receive this new updated part for fitment to the vehicle . Appreciate your response on this … will let you know what happens.

Quote:
Thanks for the post, and sincerely sorry to hear you're having the exact same issue. Honestly, it's remarkable that they sound the same regardless of region. Newest update is, that the manufacturer (Boysen) has a revised design and they are being built at present. The whole tract is to be replaced - i.e. from the OPF all the way to the tips.

Naturally with all the incumbent geopolitical issues, there are delays. No ETC at present. In any event, would suggest that you and your UK colleagues (above) place yourself on a waiting list of sorts. Even with the shorter cold start phase, now that we have slightly higher temperatures; it's still exceedingly annoying...
Appreciate 1
MB6257.50
      05-28-2022, 04:30 PM   #37
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:

Hi Buddy,
Could i ask where you got this info from, is it legit ?. Ive been at this problem with BMW customer services now for a while, and they have point blank refused to do anything, stating, its a characteristic of the sports exhaust, and have offered me £250 to spend on any BMW products . I mentioned fitting an aftermarket silencer, or system, only to have the old chestnut of my warranty then being void, thrown at me. Im surprised by BMW on this, as its spoiling the car for me now.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 04:32 PM   #38
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your response . Yeah it’s very annoying and I’m surprised they have not moved quicker to remedy this issue . The rattle is very annoying .

I have followed up directly with BMW Uk as to when I will receive this new updated part for fitment to the vehicle . Appreciate your response on this … will let you know what happens.
Have you been on to BMW customer services ?. I seem to have got nowhere with them, after much communication through e mails etc, and even sending them another video.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 04:34 PM   #39
sharky67
Rep

Yeah … waiting on them .. But my dealer has said they want to replace the middle part of the exhaust … but I want this new part now before they replace anything …

I’m not putting up with a rattle on my car …rattles loud and people do comment what’s that noise .. lol … can be embarrassing in a underground carpark … lol . I’m definitely not being palmed off with a voucher … I want it either roaring like a lion and purring like a pussy cat … but definitely not rattling like a junkie trying to get out of a tin can when cold .

Quote:
Have you been on to BMW customer services ?. I seem to have got nowhere with them, after much communication through e mails etc, and even sending them another video.

Last edited by sharky67; 05-28-2022 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
MB6257.50
      05-29-2022, 03:27 AM   #40
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah … waiting on them .. But my dealer has said they want to replace the middle part of the exhaust … but I want this new part now before they replace anything …

I’m not putting up with a rattle on my car …rattles loud and people do comment what’s that noise .. lol … can be embarrassing in a underground carpark … lol . I’m definitely not being palmed off with a voucher … I want it either roaring like a lion and purring like a pussy cat … but definitely not rattling like a junkie trying to get out of a tin can when cold .
When you say middle part, are you referring to the mid pipe with the resonator and the OPFs, or the middle part of the rear exhaust, which is the whole rear section ?, just to be certain what you mean. Im almost certain, that the rear silencer is the culprit, that has the valves and actuators. It seems to me that some have incorrect tolerances, and are faulty, and if Boyesen, the manufacturers, are producing some newer modified components, indeed, that tells me that they think they are faulty too. This is why i asked above of the info was concrete, and legit.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 03:30 AM   #41
sharky67
Rep

BMW techs at dealer said it was actuators so will be that part of the exhaust buddy . Half of exhaust from memory .
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 11:24 AM   #42
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
BMW techs at dealer said it was actuators so will be that part of the exhaust buddy . Half of exhaust from memory .
My actuators were changed too, fault still persisted, its not the actuators. Something is amiss in the valves, whether its too large an intolerance, im not sure, or something is incorrect with the spring between the actuators and the valve mechanism itself. I also asked the dealers to fire the car up, when they had cut the rear silencer off, but i think they forgot. This would have proved, beyond doubt, that it is something valve/rear silencer internals related ?. When the rattle is happening, you can actually see the rear pipe vibrating, and feel it, if you grab the pipe too, so its something heavily amiss. I also wondered at one point, if it was something further downstream, like the OPFs or resonator, causing a vortex like gas stream flow, that was quite violent by the time it got to the valves, causing the rearmost parts to somehow vibrate, but i think i was going OTT there, but you do start thinking all sorts, with problems like this. If i had a ramp at home, i could take my time and fix this damn problem, so come on BMW, just sort it out !!, never mind its a characteristic of the sports exhaust Sir. There is more than one way to skin a cat, so lets have this problem sorted .
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 11:29 AM   #43
sharky67
Rep

I have fired them an email will see what they say
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 03:14 PM   #44
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
My actuators were changed too, fault still persisted, its not the actuators. Something is amiss in the valves, whether its too large an intolerance, im not sure, or something is incorrect with the spring between the actuators and the valve mechanism itself. I also asked the dealers to fire the car up, when they had cut the rear silencer off, but i think they forgot. This would have proved, beyond doubt, that it is something valve/rear silencer internals related ?. When the rattle is happening, you can actually see the rear pipe vibrating, and feel it, if you grab the pipe too, so its something heavily amiss. I also wondered at one point, if it was something further downstream, like the OPFs or resonator, causing a vortex like gas stream flow, that was quite violent by the time it got to the valves, causing the rearmost parts to somehow vibrate, but i think i was going OTT there, but you do start thinking all sorts, with problems like this. If i had a ramp at home, i could take my time and fix this damn problem, so come on BMW, just sort it out !!, never mind its a characteristic of the sports exhaust Sir. There is more than one way to skin a cat, so lets have this problem sorted .
Since it is the valves, does it quit rattling when the exhaust button is pushed on and the engine mode is in Sport Plus ?
Appreciate 0