BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Car wash - what to watch out for?

04-07-2021, 12:02 PM   #1
BayDriverSF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 2021

Car wash - what to watch out for?

Just got my M5C with Tanzanite Blue which I hear scratches very easily. Not going to go through those automated car washes. But we have a couple car washes in the area where guys with blue rags wipe down your car after hosing it down with soapy water. But how do I know that's safe for the paint? What if their rags are scratchy? I don't want to end up with swirls in the paint.

They also offer waxing. Is this even safe for the paint?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #2
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Are you opposed to doing the work yourself? I myself have a hard time wanting anybody to touch my paint. I even refuse the “complimentary” wash at my local dealer, especially since the service manager basically told me straight up that they just take it to a local car wash! Ummmm...no thanks, I’ll just do it myself. Thanks chief!

I have seen “car washes” with a couple teenagers out there with f’ing brooms and what not! No WAY!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 12:47 PM   #3
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2022 911 Turbo S

Unless you have a full wrap of paint protection film installed, I would only go to places that have a great reputation and detail high end cars. Particularly when it comes to polishing and waxing, the difference between someone who really knows what they're doing and an amateur is huge, and it's really easy to ruin clear coat if you're inexperienced.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:02 PM   #4
BayDriverSF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Barber View Post
Unless you have a full wrap of paint protection film installed, I would only go to places that have a great reputation and detail high end cars. Particularly when it comes to polishing and waxing, the difference between someone who really knows what they're doing and an amateur is huge, and it's really easy to ruin clear coat if you're inexperienced.
Got it. Anyone have recommendations for the SF Bay Area, South Bay specifically?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:08 PM   #5
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Automated car wash re-uses water, so it picks up dirt, and basically just sandblasts your paint. Hand wash uses dirty rags/towels, or they use them improperly.

Wash yourself with the two bucket method, or take it to a reputable detailer.

I have/had a TB F80. It doesn't scratch any more easily than any paint I've had except for Jet Black lol

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:19 PM   #6
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

If good ole Cally is being hard on you guys for water usage, look into Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine. All you need is literally a gallon of water to mix with a capful of the stuff, and pour it in one bucket, then use the two bucket method, as mentioned above. The solution has these polymers in it which work to reduce clearcoat abrasion. To be honest, about anything you do is going to put SOME scratches or swirls in the paint. But for right now, go with that, and get yourself a couple of good drying towels from the rag company to dry it with, as well as maybe a couple of their wash mitts, and you’re good to go.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:34 PM   #7
BayDriverSF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBisBlau View Post
If good ole Cally is being hard on you guys for water usage, look into Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine. All you need is literally a gallon of water to mix with a capful of the stuff, and pour it in one bucket, then use the two bucket method, as mentioned above. The solution has these polymers in it which work to reduce clearcoat abrasion. To be honest, about anything you do is going to put SOME scratches or swirls in the paint. But for right now, go with that, and get yourself a couple of good drying towels from the rag company to dry it with, as well as maybe a couple of their wash mitts, and you’re good to go.
Great tip, thanks. How about cleaning the wheels from brake dust? Any advice there? I can blast it with water from my garden hose, but it may not get the dust off.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 02:10 PM   #8
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah if water is an issue, I've used Optimum No Rinse in the past when I lived in an apartment and had to street park. Works great.

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #9
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDriverSF View Post
Quote:
If good ole Cally is being hard on you guys for water usage, look into Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine. All you need is literally a gallon of water to mix with a capful of the stuff, and pour it in one bucket, then use the two bucket method, as mentioned above. The solution has these polymers in it which work to reduce clearcoat abrasion. To be honest, about anything you do is going to put SOME scratches or swirls in the paint. But for right now, go with that, and get yourself a couple of good drying towels from the rag company to dry it with, as well as maybe a couple of their wash mitts, and you're good to go.
Great tip, thanks. How about cleaning the wheels from brake dust? Any advice there? I can blast it with water from my garden hose, but it may not get the dust off.
Rinse with hose, spray with wheel cleaner, let sit, agitate with a wheel brush, then rinse with hose again

Edit: also, do this before washing the body. don't want any of the junk or debris from the wheels/tires getting on the paint after you've washed it

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 02:38 PM   #10
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2022 911 Turbo S

Consider a regular personal application of carpro reload spray. It works great at repelling water and dirt, and makes washing easier. Easy to use.

Then get a metro master blaster blow dryer so you don't have to mess with towels and add swirls. Also makes drying so much less work.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 03:08 PM   #11
The5rivers
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M5C, 22 X3MC, 24 X7 40i

I would never take it to a traditional car wash, too risky. I get all of my vehicles professionally hand washed, detailed and ceramic coat.

When I go to dealer for service, they have a standing "no wash" on my account as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 03:28 PM   #12
BayDriverSF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5rivers View Post
I would never take it to a traditional car wash, too risky. I get all of my vehicles professionally hand washed, detailed and ceramic coat.

When I go to dealer for service, they have a standing "no wash" on my account as well.
Got it. What's a good place online to find a professional detailed? Do you mean like an individual person or a company?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 03:34 PM   #13
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5rivers View Post

Got it. What's a good place online to find a professional detailed? Do you mean like an individual person or a company?
Here in the forums is a good place to start. If you start a new thread in the Cosmetic Maintenance subforum, or even in the general forum, joust ask folks in your neck of the woods where they take their cars. That's how I found my detailer in North Jersey

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 03:39 PM   #14
The5rivers
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Here in the forums is a good place to start. If you start a new thread in the Cosmetic Maintenance subforum, or even in the general forum, joust ask folks in your neck of the woods where they take their cars. That's how I found my detailer in North Jersey
Yup good advice here. Otherwise, a simple google search within your area would help. Look for places with higher ratings, good feedback, that offer wrap services etc, who also might offer detailing services as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 06:10 PM   #15
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

Hand wash only. And never dry a car with towels. Wiping with a towel will cause swirl marks.

I have a blow dryer for the car and use that.

Otherwise I just drive it to air dry.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 07:12 PM   #16
BayDriverSF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
Hand wash only. And never dry a car with towels. Wiping with a towel will cause swirl marks.

I definitely understand and agree with hand wash only. However, in my area they have carwashes that are all hand washed, but they do wash like 1000 cars a day. So it's hand washed, I see them using only towels, and pressure hoses and soap, with a final blow dry, but it's still a massive operation. Can a place like that still do a good job? Or would you only trust a small shop or individual?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 11:09 PM   #17
The5rivers
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I definitely understand and agree with hand wash only. However, in my area they have carwashes that are all hand washed, but they do wash like 1000 cars a day. So it's hand washed, I see them using only towels, and pressure hoses and soap, with a final blow dry, but it's still a massive operation. Can a place like that still do a good job? Or would you only trust a small shop or individual?
Having a hands free wash is one part of the equation, and definitely better than the traditional car wash. But those towels are probably used all day long on those 1000 cars, so you are risking damage and swirls to your paint because of that. Not to say they don't do a good job, but I wouldn't take my M there for sure.

Find an independent detailer or small shop that focuses on quality work and hands free everything. Being in the Bay, I am sure you will find plenty of options. I have built a great relationship with my detailer and its one less headache I have to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 06:36 AM   #18
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Come on. You have a $100k+ vehicle, and you are willing to just trust some random hourly employees with it? Maybe you'd get lucky and manage to get the two or three teenagers that exist in the whole world that happen to be working at that carwash that not only have attention to detail, but actually care about what they're doing... but probably not. Not to mention the accessories used to do it, like dirty water, towels, etc. Find a real detailer.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 08:33 AM   #19
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post

The towels are the key. They get re-used all day every day, and you have no idea how they clean them, if at all. They also don't fold them and flip them as they wash/dry. Nothing but swirls. Even if you don't see them, they will dull the finish.

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 09:56 AM   #20
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

What to watch out for? Going to any car wash outside a professional detailer (and even then, it's hit or miss). Seriously, stay away from automatic car washes and the "hand car washes" unless it's your wife's daily driver Toyota.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 11:00 AM   #21
xmanpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M8C 24 X6MC 21 M3C

Quote:
Just got my M5C with Tanzanite Blue which I hear scratches very easily. Not going to go through those automated car washes. But we have a couple car washes in the area where guys with blue rags wipe down your car after hosing it down with soapy water. But how do I know that's safe for the paint? What if their rags are scratchy? I don't want to end up with swirls in the paint.

The clear coat in this gen paint is cured a different way and is softer. Will definitely get swirls no matter who washes it, period. There's no amount of babying this paint to avoid swirls. I learned this lesson the hard way.

You'll have to at least do ceramic x2 coats and/or ppf. Or live with swirls. Also these wheels get super dusty in less than 10 miles so cleaning them will be a very frequent task.

Ceramic and/or ppf will be your best bet, then you can get an unlimited wash pass from a hand wash spot in the South Bay and go weekly or more. I've got a hand wash spot here in the Peninsula that I take my rides to at least weekly. (Yes I have time on my hands).

Good luck!
      04-09-2021, 04:07 AM   #22
BayDriverSF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanpro View Post
Quote:

The clear coat in this gen paint is cured a different way and is softer. Will definitely get swirls no matter who washes it, period. There's no amount of babying this paint to avoid swirls. I learned this lesson the hard way.

You'll have to at least do ceramic x2 coats and/or ppf. Or live with swirls. Also these wheels get super dusty in less than 10 miles so cleaning them will be a very frequent task.

Ceramic and/or ppf will be your best bet, then you can get an unlimited wash pass from a hand wash spot in the South Bay and go weekly or more. I've got a hand wash spot here in the Peninsula that I take my rides to at least weekly. (Yes I have time on my hands).

Good luck!
This is a great point. I researched PPF and I think I'm sold. After PPF I can go to most hand car washes and not worry that they're going to mess up my paint.
Appreciate 0