BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Car Wash?!

08-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #23
Fegelein
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeleon View Post
Do you have a ceramic coat on your car and do you have a pressure washer? Those will affect the recommendations.
Ceramic yes, washer no...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 03:12 PM   #24
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Pop over to the M3/M4 forums, which have a more active section on washing, etc. There were a few recent thread on power washer recommendations.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=630
      08-06-2018, 11:18 PM   #25
shayan30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegelein View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stbm5 View Post
another thumbs up for coating. i used cquartz then when i do an actual wash i use foam cannon, very light quick wipe with a high quality mitt, then rinse and blow dry with an electric blower. looks perfect after and all that takes 30min. if i'm feeling like i want extreme shine i'll finish off with kenotek show room shine - takes about 5-10min to do the whole car. now if only someone would wash my wheels for me...
Ha! I hear you about the wheels, but don't you at least spray them w/ cleaner and rinse off?
Please attach links to your cannon and blower, so I know what works and what to buy..
I used this same method over the weekend to give the car it's first wash and it was perfect.

I ordered everything from chemical guys - foam cannon, pink car wash liquid, a few microfiber towels.

- hose down the car with water with the cannon
- clip on the container to the cannon which includes soap/water
- hose the full car down to create the foam
- lightly wash the car with a microfiber mit
- hose down the car with water

Following the above method, you'll notice the ceramic coating effect. Water and even the soap literally beads off.

I then used a leaf blower and the car was dry within minutes. Never really needing the touch the car at all!

Lastly, I sprayed the car with a product called hydrosilex. It's a ceramic coat/maintenance product. Quick spray and wipe down and all done.

I do agree the wheels are a pain!! I forgot I didn't have a wheel cleaning brush so just used the back side of the microfiber mit. Overall, it got the job done and looks clean but will use a brush next time to get the insides. I also sprayed/wiped the wheels with hydrosilex.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #26
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayan30 View Post
I used this same method over the weekend to give the car it's first wash and it was perfect.

I ordered everything from chemical guys - foam cannon, pink car wash liquid, a few microfiber towels.

Following the above method, you'll notice the ceramic coating effect. Water and even the soap literally beads off.

I then used a leaf blower and the car was dry within minutes. Never really needing the touch the car at all!

Lastly, I sprayed the car with a product called hydrosilex. It's a ceramic coat/maintenance product. Quick spray and wipe down and all done.

I do agree the wheels are a pain!! I forgot I didn't have a wheel cleaning brush so just used the back side of the microfiber mit. Overall, it got the job done and looks clean but will use a brush next time to get the insides. I also sprayed/wiped the wheels with hydrosilex.

Hope that helps!
Is there a canon out there that doesn't require the usage of any manual mit work and what power washer are you using?
Everything with me is in the interest of time, which is so hard to come by nowadays....

PS, my first wash was from a hand wash facility (like a 40 min wait)...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #27
shayan30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Quote:

Hope that helps!
Is there a canon out there that doesn't require the usage of any manual mit work and what power washer are you using?
Everything with me is in the interest of time, which is so hard to come by nowadays....

PS, my first wash was from a hand wash facility (like a 40 min wait)...
Not that I am aware of. The ceramic coat really helps and minimizes the use of using a mit. I didn't use any power washer. Total time for the wash was less than 30 mins.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #28
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
Not that I am aware of. The ceramic coat really helps and minimizes the use of using a mit. I didn't use any power washer. Total time for the wash was less than 30 mins.
So you just hooked the gun up to a garden hose??
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 12:22 PM   #29
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So you just hooked the gun up to a garden hose??
A foam gun used with a garden hose will not produce the snow foam desired by most. It will blow soapy water on the car, but will run off faster and not create much foam. A pressure washer is desired for use with a foam canon.
      08-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #30
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
A foam gun used with a garden hose will not produce the snow foam desired by most. It will blow soapy water on the car, but will run off faster and not create much foam. A pressure washer is desired for use with a foam canon.
That's what I thought, so what type are all using / best suited for this?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #31
darrvao777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
A cheap SunJoe pressure washer from Amazon is enough to create a thick foam for me

If you want to get crazy, Kranzle makes some very nice but very expensive pressure washers
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #32
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Anyone of the name brands sold on Amazon and Home Depot will be fine. For around $120 you will get what you need. Stop in at a local HD or Lowes and see wha they have and the return policy.
      08-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #33
kdeleon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

If you want to use your choice of foam cannon and go the Sun Joe route, then get at least the SPX 3000 and not the lower models. At first I bought the lower model and it doesn't have a 1/4" quick connect. To get the foam canons to attach you will need to buy an adapter or the proprietary Sun Joe canon, then you should have bought the more expensive model in the first place (3000) due to the additional cost. This is the model that I have and it works perfectly fine for washing my car. I've used it to also clean my driveway after I'm done washing the car.

As for foam canon, the pros seem to use the MTM PF22. Make sure to install the smaller orifice if you don't get one of the high powered gas or kranzle models. I got this one from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This is lower cost option that gets great reviews. The Chemical Guys foam cannons are also recommended but you can usually find a generic version on Amazon for less.

Finally, if you really don't want to scrub the car, there are folks that have successfully done that or at least they say they have. I haven't tried it as I subscribe to the need to manually agitate the dirt off even with a ceramic coating to get it completely clean.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 10:52 AM   #34
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
If you want to use your choice of foam cannon and go the Sun Joe route, then get at least the SPX 3000 and not the lower models. At first I bought the lower model and it doesn't have a 1/4" quick connect. To get the foam canons to attach you will need to buy an adapter or the proprietary Sun Joe canon, then you should have bought the more expensive model in the first place (3000) due to the additional cost. This is the model that I have and it works perfectly fine for washing my car. I've used it to also clean my driveway after I'm done washing the car.

As for foam canon, the pros seem to use the MTM PF22. Make sure to install the smaller orifice if you don't get one of the high powered gas or kranzle models. I got this one from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This is lower cost option that gets great reviews. The Chemical Guys foam cannons are also recommended but you can usually find a generic version on Amazon for less.

Finally, if you really don't want to scrub the car, there are folks that have successfully done that or at least they say they have. I haven't tried it as I subscribe to the need to manually agitate the dirt off even with a ceramic coating to get it completely clean.
Thanks for this and to all others above, I just bought the unit in your link and the sun joe spx 3000 w/ hose reel! I'll report back after first usage and demand and refund from you if not satisfied!!! haha

Last edited by Fegelein; 08-09-2018 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #35
marcvtec
Banned
Rep

Thanks gents,

Cause of this thread I just order a foam cannon, pressure washer and soap.
I hate or like you all, I cannot decide
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 02:31 PM   #36
Fegelein
Major
Rep

I took the plunge and went through the wash!
I told the manager no brooms and they still almost used one! It was in slow mo as he lifted it up and approached my hood! Lol
I beeped and all was spared. After that close call, all went well and no scratches.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #37
kdeleon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I took the plunge and went through the wash!
I told the manager no brooms and they still almost used one! It was in slow mo as he lifted it up and approached my hood! Lol
I beeped and all was spared. After that close call, all went well and no scratches.
I thought you bought a pressure washer. What happened?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #38
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
I thought you bought a pressure washer. What happened?
Ha! I did, but doesn't mean I always have the time to use it. Car got dirty on way to work and then weather cleared. Had to go straight from work to vacation home and she needed a wash and the rest is history.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #39
stbm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 DG

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stbm5 View Post
another thumbs up for coating. i used cquartz then when i do an actual wash i use foam cannon, very light quick wipe with a high quality mitt, then rinse and blow dry with an electric blower. looks perfect after and all that takes 30min. if i'm feeling like i want extreme shine i'll finish off with kenotek show room shine - takes about 5-10min to do the whole car. now if only someone would wash my wheels for me...
Ha! I hear you about the wheels, but don't you at least spray them w/ cleaner and rinse off?
Please attach links to your cannon and blower, so I know what works and what to buy..
https://www.amazon.com/MTM-Professio.../dp/B00EDSLVQC

Yes I spray wheels with a Sonax Fallout
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 08:53 AM   #40
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Any recommendations on ceramic coating places in Dallas?
      09-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #41
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Ok, so I bought this today coupled with the the sunjoe SPX3001 washer. Looks like I'll need an adapter for it and confused on the water ratio mix. It says 1 oz per 3 gallons, so what's the capacity of the trinova tank, so I can dig, it's not listed anywhere I can see.
Also, is it really that more effective than the washer itself?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 12:09 PM   #42
kdeleon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok, so I bought this today coupled with the the sunjoe SPX3001 washer. Looks like I'll need an adapter for it and confused on the water ratio mix. It says 1 oz per 3 gallons, so what's the capacity of the trinova tank, so I can dig, it's not listed anywhere I can see.
Also, is it really that more effective than the washer itself?
No, you do not need an adapter. You connect it at the end of the wand. It is a little long but it goes at the end where you can put the various angled tips that are included with the washer. Let me know if you need a picture.

As for amount, I usually do 2 oz to 5 oz per almost full bottle with the rest filled with water. It really depends on the soap. If you really want to see a lot of foam go towards the upper limit and back down. And make sure the knob on top is completely open (or closed depending on how you think of it). Basically one way will give you foam, the other will be a water mix. You will know if it is wrong when you start. Finally, may sure you turn the bottle and make sure the soap and water mix.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #43
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
No, you do not need an adapter. You connect it at the end of the wand. It is a little long but it goes at the end where you can put the various angled tips that are included with the washer. Let me know if you need a picture.

As for amount, I usually do 2 oz to 5 oz per almost full bottle with the rest filled with water. It really depends on the soap. If you really want to see a lot of foam go towards the upper limit and back down. And make sure the knob on top is completely open (or closed depending on how you think of it). Basically one way will give you foam, the other will be a water mix. You will know if it is wrong when you start. Finally, may sure you turn the bottle and make sure the soap and water mix.
Thanks and you obviously go way beyond the mixture on the instructions. Did you initially try it and it failed?
I actually washed my Masi, that's in the background of pic, w/ the power washer wand w/ soap head, then a rinse off w/ 40 head and all game out pretty dam well. However, next time I will use the Trinova and do you also rinse off w/ it as well, or use the 40 on the wand?
I also notice the trinova has a fan spread adjustment, how's best to utilize that?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #44
kdeleon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The instructions are meant for bucket washing. That is the amount I use in my bucket after I do the prewash with the foam. The foaming always needs a higher concentration of soap.

Only use the foamer for foaming. Once it is done, take is off and spray the car down with the 40 degree.

As for spread, really up to you. I don't think there is a right or wrong. I choose something in the middle towards the wider side. Too wide and I feel like it is all over the place and not on the car. Too narrow and it is too strong to give a nice foam coverage.
Appreciate 0