BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Pirelli or Michelin

10-10-2021, 09:42 PM   #45
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Do you live in FL? I'd love to never meet you.

thats strange, because you always seem to find my posts.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2021, 09:45 PM   #46
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Quote:

You confuse my participation in, apparently shared interests, with interest in you. My only interest in you is ensuring that your bitter, negative, hostile, myopic and juvenile comments are cast in the shadow they so deserve.
Appreciate 1
wesleyan921355.50
      10-10-2021, 10:05 PM   #47
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You confuse my participation in, apparently shared interests, with interest in you. My only interest in you is ensuring that your bitter, negative, hostile, myopic and juvenile comments are cast in the shadow they so deserve.
I still think the user name should be EeyoreM3…
limeypride4423.50
      10-10-2021, 11:04 PM   #48
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holset View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
OK some honest answers needed here. My new M5 Comp Ultimate arrives week 18th October time, I don't know what tyres will be on it.
I have always had Michelin tyres arrive on all my 3 F90 M5's in the past so have no idea what the Pirelli's will be like. Anyone who has them or driven them can you tell me if they generate more road noise and what's the grip like, thanks in advance .
I was going to remove the pirelli's if the car came on them, do I really need to.
Good question!
Try both out and form your own opinion.

Most people say that the Michelins PS4S is the best tire and this can certainly be the case.
But this got me thinking when the regular F90 M5 was released it did come with Bmw spec Michelin PS4S.
Later (im not 100% sure about this but pretty sure) when the M5 comp came it had Bmw spec Pirelli Pzero PZ4.
Why would Bmw release a car with sportier ambitions with less grippier tires?
I know that a good tire is more than how much it grips but most people seems to say that PS4S is the grippier one.

Now its like a lottery on which tire the car comes with which could be that the PS4S has been updated to a newer better spec to match the Pzeros.

I have the Pzeros they grip good in my opinion don't know about longevity as they have not done so many miles yet.
Of course they need to get warm to really perform at their best and then they get really soft.
They also spit rocks but thats a compromise you get with performance tires ,the Michelin Supersports on my M4 did the same thing and they really needed heat to get them to grip.

As been mentioned already in this thread are some people just saying that the Michelins are better just because they heard that or what?

To you that have had both tires what differences have you noticed between the two?
Why would most, as you cite, prefer one over the other? Perhaps because one is better?

Subjective stats are the basis of shopping preference these days in the form of countless online review mediums and, as a result, that "personal experience" data is available en masse. Use it. Or don't but not using it seems, well…

My preference is clear from my earlier post. But that's not based on objective stats, rather, that's based on my own firsthand subjective experience across perhaps 10 M-cars, a few AMGs and an RS7P. Supplement that with the more statistically significant objective community opinion, et voila.
Allright so you like the Michelins more great!
Why do you like them more?

I'm probably going to get new wheels to next spring and thinking about which tires to choose.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #49
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:

ok, cool.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 02:01 PM   #50
SFT33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, E60 & F10 M5s

Quote:
ok, cool.
How has the administrator not kicked you off yet?
Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      10-21-2021, 06:27 PM   #51
Jacob_Tyler_Freed
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5Competition LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Tyler_Freed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
OK some honest answers needed here. My new M5 Comp Ultimate arrives week 18th October time, I don't know what tyres will be on it.
I have always had Michelin tyres arrive on all my 3 F90 M5's in the past so have no idea what the Pirelli's will be like. Anyone who has them or driven them can you tell me if they generate more road noise and what's the grip like, thanks in advance .
I was going to remove the pirelli's if the car came on them, do I really need to.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are great for the M5. I had PZeros on my 19 comp and they were fine, but my 2021 LCI has Michelin and they're amazing.

The grip is insane. 2.90 dead 0-60 and 10.90 dead 1/4 mile on a unprepared surface.
Great numbers. What timing gadget are you using? A Dragy perhaps?
Yes. It was also confirmed by CarWow
Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      10-22-2021, 12:09 AM   #52
HUM5INT
HUM5INT
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 Competition LCI

Quote:
all this bitching about pzeros like bmw is going to put a shit tire on the car. the pzero does perfectly fine for an AWD sedan. I did 11.1 in a non comp car in the 1/4 with pzero's. Half of the people complaning about the tire haven't probably seen a drag strip. It does perfectly fine. If you're going to discuss wear and tear, thats different. But the grip is fine.
You're spot on. Couldn't agree with you more. Take for example F1. Not entirely apples to apples comparison, but if you don't warm up your tires and get your temps up while also picking the wrong compound….you're just screwed. Same thing here - you can have Pirelli or Michelin but if you're not taking into account temperatures, surface, hard vs soft driving it's a useless argument. I'll use whatever shoes BMW put on them and just take it from there as they get trashed lol. Fortunately here in AZ building up temp isn't an issue typically lol 😆
4) '12 550 M-Sport; Exterior: Alpine White
INSTAGRAM: hum5int
Appreciate 1
JOHNBMWM51989.00
      10-25-2021, 09:00 PM   #53
vanos84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 BSM

Well ya know companies have been known to sway to one brand or another due to a little thing called money! I mean it has happened... I'm not saying the Pirelli is a shit tire or else they wouldn't put it on these cars but the consensus seems to be pretty clear in this community that the Michelin is the superior tire for this car. So my guess would be that BMW were somehow getting a better deal with Pirelli.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 09:20 PM   #54
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanos84 View Post
Well ya know companies have been known to sway to one brand or another due to a little thing called money! I mean it has happened... I'm not saying the Pirelli is a shit tire or else they wouldn't put it on these cars but the consensus seems to be pretty clear in this community that the Michelin is the superior tire for this car. So my guess would be that BMW were somehow getting a better deal with Pirelli.
Agreed and well said… it's subjective but majority/shared opinions count and they do indeed reveal a preference.

BMW ship their cars with both…but it's luck as to what you get. From my standpoint, the universe effing hates me since I keep getting Pirellis… c'est la vie. Perhaps the universe is named Trevor.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 06:30 AM   #55
dougpaper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

replaced my front p zero's with the michelins. After reading the difference between the star and non stars i was excited to get the michelins thru my dealer. No big deal but mine are non-stars so i guess maybe my dealer couldn't get the stars quick enough.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 07:16 AM   #56
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT33 View Post
How has the administrator not kicked you off yet?

for what? Not agreeing with what everyone else says? Grow a pair.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 07:47 AM   #57
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
for what? Not agreeing with what everyone else says? Grow a pair.
Just ignore these comments it's a forum not a church meeting.
      10-28-2021, 10:25 AM   #58
somer
Major
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

The Pirelli's almost killed me in the F10 so from that I'll hold a lifetime grudge.

Seriously pay attention to inner tire wear on the Pirelli's, it could save your life! F90 I assume runs less rear camber than the F10 so it may not be as big of a problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 03:43 PM   #59
VPRKLR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
I have the Pirellis on my car and they don't seem terrible.
They need heat to make them stick like any tire.
I have 10k on them and I think they are lasting pretty decent with me usually leaving a nice set of "11's" just about every time I drive it.
2018 M550i-Gone
2013 535i-Gone
Appreciate 2
Holset266.50
JOHNBMWM51989.00
      11-02-2021, 03:59 AM   #60
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPRKLR View Post
I have the Pirellis on my car and they don't seem terrible.
They need heat to make them stick like any tire.
I have 10k on them and I think they are lasting pretty decent with me usually leaving a nice set of "11's" just about every time I drive it.
So far I am not having a problem with them, still running in though.
      11-02-2021, 11:37 AM   #61
M3talllic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 & M6 GC

Garage List
My personal experience here. I just switched my Pzeros to Michelin PS4s and let me tell you..night and day difference! I have had Nittos 555R, Toyo R888s, PZeros and Michelins and I would pick the Michelins over and over again. I'm in CA and these work the best for me. Always consider weather conditions, and like many have said; temperature.
Appreciate 2
limeypride4423.50
Holset266.50
      11-02-2021, 02:00 PM   #62
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3talllic View Post
My personal experience here. I just switched my Pzeros to Michelin PS4s and let me tell you..night and day difference! I have had Nittos 555R, Toyo R888s, PZeros and Michelins and I would pick the Michelins over and over again. I'm in CA and these work the best for me. Always consider weather conditions, and like many have said; temperature.
Did you change to standard spec or star Bmw spec Michelins or other brand spec?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 05:18 PM   #63
M3talllic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 & M6 GC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I'll have to get back to you on that, but that shouldn't have an impact on performance across the board of Michelin sport tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 06:08 PM   #64
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'll have to get back to you on that, but that shouldn't have an impact on performance across the board of Michelin sport tires.
I don't even know what the difference is—anyone?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 10:02 PM   #65
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 10:16 PM   #66
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't even know what the difference is—anyone?
You can watch this

Appreciate 0