BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Exhaust vibration

09-14-2021, 06:22 AM   #1
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Exhaust vibration

Anybody had anything like this ?.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 06:35 AM   #2
bimmerbeast7
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5C - '04 m3 manual coupe

def not.

sounds harmless though. get underneath And track it down. It sounds like it's a metal on metal but barely.. possibly the heat shielding bent and just a corner is touching the muffler cans..

i can 99.9999% say thats a very minor thing
Appreciate 1
VPRKLR63.00
      09-14-2021, 06:46 AM   #3
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbeast7 View Post
def not.

sounds harmless though. get underneath And track it down. It sounds like it's a metal on metal but barely.. possibly the heat shielding bent and just a corner is touching the muffler cans..

i can 99.9999% say thats a very minor thing
Appreciate the reply. Ive had it back to BMW, where they replaced the rear silencer, as we both thought, it was the exhaust valve vibrating, but, it is exactly the same, in fact, i would say slightly worse. I have been under the car again myself, to check out, just as you have stated, that there are no heat shields touching or vibrating anywhere, and there is clear air around the exhaust system. I can grab hold of the tips, and rag them in all directions, and the exhaust does not touch anything. It sounds, and feels like it is something inside the silencer, but i cant believe that two rear silencers would exhibit this same problem. Its booked back into BMW again, in 2 weeks, but thought i would ask here first.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 06:50 AM   #4
adeuel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Oxford Green M5C

Yep, heat shield.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 08:18 AM   #5
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

Sounds like to there's stones stuck in between the exhaust pipe and the black outer trim.
Or maybe it 'just needs to carbon up mate' lol I've been given that bs before !
Appreciate 1
Simon H874.50
      09-14-2021, 10:28 AM   #6
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlude View Post
Sounds like to there's stones stuck in between the exhaust pipe and the black outer trim.
Or maybe it 'just needs to carbon up mate' lol I've been given that bs before !
I can believe it. Somethings amiss. If you look at the right hand tip carefully, you can see it actually vibrate, when it makes the noise. Will get it sorted .
Appreciate 1
MB6257.50
      09-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #7
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
I can believe it. Somethings amiss. If you look at the right hand tip carefully, you can see it actually vibrate, when it makes the noise. Will get it sorted .
Wasn't sure whether that was vibration or heat/condensate from exhaust gases.
But yes, little stones/gravel can get flicked up by the sticky MPS4S and get between the exhaust pipe and black outer shroud.
Keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 04:08 PM   #8
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

Give those tips a whack with a hammer and a piece of wood to protect the tips.
      09-14-2021, 04:14 PM   #9
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I'd jack up the car and get under it to check again, the exhaust is probably in contact with some heat shield or something.. also, while you're down there, check that the hangers are okay and intact

or maybe the tip is loose? it could be the cause for the rattling too, but I'm just shooting in the dark here
Appreciate 2
MB6257.50
      09-14-2021, 04:57 PM   #10
Simon H
Major
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 04:35 AM   #11
bimmerbeast7
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5C - '04 m3 manual coupe

Quote:
Just get a new full exhaust anyway, these babies are too quiet
Appreciate 1
Simon H874.50
      09-16-2021, 03:15 AM   #12
MB625
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Comp. LCI

Precisely the same issue...

Quote:
Appreciate the reply. Ive had it back to BMW, where they replaced the rear silencer, as we both thought, it was the exhaust valve vibrating, but, it is exactly the same, in fact, i would say slightly worse. I have been under the car again myself, to check out, just as you have stated, that there are no heat shields touching or vibrating anywhere, and there is clear air around the exhaust system. I can grab hold of the tips, and rag them in all directions, and the exhaust does not touch anything. It sounds, and feels like it is something inside the silencer, but i cant believe that two rear silencers would exhibit this same problem. Its booked back into BMW again, in 2 weeks, but thought i would ask here first.
Much appreciated Simon. Recorded it better than I could, and headed to the dealer next week. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 06:56 AM   #13
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1991 View Post
Much appreciated Simon. Recorded it better than I could, and headed to the dealer next week. Cheers!
Thats good to know somebody else has this issue, but not glad you have this problem, obviously . Ive done a bit more homework, so to speak, from the limited access i have to the underside of the car, and when the car is running, if you thump the middle of the rear silencer, you can hear the same vibration sound, that is the cause. Switch off the car, and it cannot be repeated. It sounds, and feels, like it is inside the rear silencer itself. Its quite hard to take though, that two rear silencers have done this on my car ? .
Its back in at BMW in 2 weeks, so fingers crossed it will get resolved this time, and i will update accordingly. If you get sorted first, could you also update ?
Appreciate 2
MB6257.50
Holset266.50
      09-20-2021, 03:38 AM   #14
MB625
Rep

Thumbs up Service in DE

Quote:
Thats good to know somebody else has this issue, but not glad you have this problem, obviously . Ive done a bit more homework, so to speak, from the limited access i have to the underside of the car, and when the car is running, if you thump the middle of the rear silencer, you can hear the same vibration sound, that is the cause. Switch off the car, and it cannot be repeated. It sounds, and feels, like it is inside the rear silencer itself. Its quite hard to take though, that two rear silencers have done this on my car ? .
Its back in at BMW in 2 weeks, so fingers crossed it will get resolved this time, and i will update accordingly. If you get sorted first, could you also update ?
Completely understood what you meant , felt the same way naturally! Intriguing, will definitely "assist" the service team with said troubleshooting approach; thank you for the further insight! Agreed, albeit the fact that the noise cannot be reproduced whilst the car is off makes me think it may be the valves themselves... Awesome, undeniably keeping everything crossed for a resolution. Nonetheless, deeply disgruntled that issues appear even with an ///M product... By all means, will keep you in the loop!

[Would have PM'ed you, however too junior a member to have that luxury yet.]
Appreciate 1
Simon H874.50
      09-30-2021, 01:06 PM   #15
Simon H
Major
Rep

A bit of an update. After fitting a new rear silencer, swapping around exhaust valve actuators, replacing actuator springs, and starting cases, and speaking to BMW themselves, the noise persists. Its been in twice now, and its still in the garage. They have confirmed, that it is the exhaust flaps/actuators that is the route of the problem, but do not appear to be able to remedy it. Some sort of final test is being performed tomorrow at BMWs request.
Appreciate 1
MB6257.50
      09-30-2021, 02:12 PM   #16
MB625
Rep

The irony of the overlap in perspectives from BMW. On my side, it has been with the dealer for two days, and only today did BMW relay a statement.

Namely, 'it's a known problem[...]'however, no specific solution is available at present;[...]'replacement parts will not be supplied for the time being'. Most intriguing, and truly saddening to hear about your developments. Simon, could you perhaps PM me please, so that we can exchange contact details; as I feel it's overdue that this is escalated.

Would equally warmly encourage fellow owners to speak up in case they have also noted this issue please.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 11:14 PM   #17
Blackedm5f90
Starlink
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 Competition

Hmmm, I will check mine in the morning and report back.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 11:51 PM   #18
Jacob_Tyler_Freed
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5Competition LCI

Quote:

View post on imgur.com
Quote:

View post on imgur.com
Most likely a loose valve. When the car is past it's second idle stage, and you are able to burble the car in sport mode, does it go away when the valves open?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 05:32 AM   #19
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Tyler_Freed View Post
Most likely a loose valve. When the car is past it's second idle stage, and you are able to burble the car in sport mode, does it go away when the valves open?
Yes, only really does it when the valves are shut. Been confirmed it is the valves rattling, which i already knew, just took a while to convince BMW. They have fitted a new rear silencer, with new valves etc, and it still persists. Dealership has been great, but BMW themselves have now said, its normal with the sports exhaust, and have tried to fob me off, err, i dont think so !!. The car is back at the dealership in around 10 days, to see if they can fix it with some "engineering". If they then cant fix it, my Mr Nice guy attitude, will change. I could fix it myself with an aftermarket rear silencer, but would like BMW to sort, after all, what is a very expensive car. We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 11:21 AM   #20
Jacob_Tyler_Freed
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5Competition LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, only really does it when the valves are shut. Been confirmed it is the valves rattling, which i already knew, just took a while to convince BMW. They have fitted a new rear silencer, with new valves etc, and it still persists. Dealership has been great, but BMW themselves have now said, its normal with the sports exhaust, and have tried to fob me off, err, i dont think so !!. The car is back at the dealership in around 10 days, to see if they can fix it with some "engineering". If they then cant fix it, my Mr Nice guy attitude, will change. I could fix it myself with an aftermarket rear silencer, but would like BMW to sort, after all, what is a very expensive car. We shall see.
Yes I agree. My M5Competition LCI does not do that, nor did my 2019 Comp.

It's a manufacturer defect, and falls under their craftsmanship warranty. Fight it until they either do something, or request a buyback for a problematic car.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 11:43 AM   #21
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes I agree. My M5Competition LCI does not do that, nor did my 2019 Comp.

It's a manufacturer defect, and falls under their craftsmanship warranty. Fight it until they either do something, or request a buyback for a problematic car.
Yes, this is my 3rd F90 M5, and i have been around 100s more too. Guess im just unlucky with this one. Will not be getting fobbed off by BMW either, and again i stress, that my dealer has been great thus far, although, im a little surprised, that they have let BMW push us around with this. Im sure i will get it resolved .
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 08:55 PM   #22
mitch65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7

Mine has a rattle/noise in the the left side exhaust. It makes the noise when running and when not running if you tap the left rear pipes. The dealer thinks the baffle broke so they ordered a new Muffler from Germany. Supposed to arrive Monday.
Appreciate 0