BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Turbo/throttle lag - Non ECU tweaks suggestions

10-09-2021, 07:12 PM   #1
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E63s AMG Estate

Hi all

I'm the proud owner of a 2022 F90 and I genuinely love the car.

However, I have a couple of issues with it:

1. Noise of exhaust
2. Some throttle/turbo lag

So I realise the exhaust noise has been tweaked due to EU regs (in the UK) and it's an ECU issue. I have ordered an Akra and hope it will help, but I'm realistic in terms of what pops and crackles I can get.

2. I am coming from a E63S and while it isn't as fast overall, it's Sport+ mode is definitely more aggressive off the line or in low rev's than the M5. Don't get me wrong, after 3,000 or so revs, the M5 is off the charts, but I do find it a bit laggy.

The problem is I tuned my E63 and Mercedes kicked my ass and I ended up having to buy a new ECU unit, even though the car was running fine with no issues. They literally refused to service it.

Thus at this stage I am not keen on a full ECU tune, even if there was one out there.

I also don't need the M5 to be much faster, I'm not taking it to the draggy or racing at all.

But I would love it to be a little more responsive. My testing is that before 3,500 revs there is a bit of large and after that, it just kicks in immediately.

So my thoughts for modifications are:

1. Akra exhaust
2. Dinan turbo inlets
3. Pedal commander
4. Race chip

I appreciate there are some incredibly experienced people on this forum, so I really would appreciate any views on whether the suggested mods would help with this lag and anything else people could recommend?

Thanks

Dave
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Forgot the pedal command. Do a piggy back, turbo inlets and exhaust. It will improve a lot.

Also drive it in full performance modes or it’s like a different car. Efficient mode is terrible.

I always press my M2 button every time I get in. Also give it time to adapt and drive it like a sports car or it will adapt to being a efficient cruiser.

Oh ya FUEL, if you’re running 91 octane forget it. 94oct+ and will it improve lots too. Mix in ethanol to make e20 or e30 and it will also help tons.
Appreciate 1
Slugsy01155.50
      10-10-2021, 01:52 AM   #3
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E63s AMG Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryInch View Post
Forgot the pedal command. Do a piggy back, turbo inlets and exhaust. It will improve a lot.

Also drive it in full performance modes or it's like a different car. Efficient mode is terrible.

I always press my M2 button every time I get in. Also give it time to adapt and drive it like a sports car or it will adapt to being a efficient cruiser.

Oh ya FUEL, if you're running 91 octane forget it. 94oct+ and will it improve lots too. Mix in ethanol to make e20 or e30 and it will also help tons.
Thanks, that saves me a bit of cash.

Its really early days, it's just had its 1,200 mile service so I did wonder if I drive it aggressively, whether the ECU would adapt?

Noted re fuel, options are limited in the UK, they don't really like petrol here!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 09:03 AM   #4
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Yes if you drive it like a grandma it will act like a grandma. Put everything sport mode. Buy racing ethanol, e98 add 10 litre to 25l pump will give u e30. Log it, watch your trims, boost, afr and timing.
Appreciate 1
Slugsy01155.50