BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    SOLVED! Strange valvetronic behavior after installing exhaust

10-09-2021, 06:13 AM   #1
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

SOLVED! Strange valvetronic behavior after installing exhaust

I recently had a Frequency Intelligent valved exhaust system installed on my 2022 Comp car. Like many others, this exhaust simply re-uses the factory valve actuators in a very similar fashion to the OEM exhaust system. Functionality should be identical. Unfortunately, I’m not getting identical behavior.

Here’s the issue in term of symptoms:
  • Exhaust seems a LOT quieter than stock in every setting and combination of settings (engine modes - comfort/sport/sport+ and exhaust console button “on ; lit”/“off ; not lit”)
  • It appears the exhaust flaps are staying closed more often than with stock exhaust, if not all the time
  • Cold start is totally silent now, although the RPMs do flare like normal
  • When I remote-start from the key fob (3 rapid lock button-presses) the car does cold-start with flaps open and is LOUD (louder than stock, as you would expect). This is the only scenario where I can get a cold start with flaps open.
  • As soon as I get in the car AND THEN press the brakes and the START button to formally turn the car on, the exhaust flaps snap shut again and the car goes into silent mode. Changing the engine modes at this point makes NO difference to sound.
  • Installer is certain we have the valve actuators physically connected correctly via the supplied springs. he’s also confident of the electrical connector (indeed we did use the supplied wiring extenders).

Thoughts??

Last edited by ashmostro; 10-09-2021 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 07:12 AM   #2
bimmerbeast7
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5C - '04 m3 manual coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
I recently had a Frequency Intelligent valved exhaust system installed on my 2022 Comp car. Like many others, this exhaust simply re-uses the factory valve actuators in a very similar fashion to the OEM exhaust system. Functionality should be identical. Unfortunately, I’m not getting identical behavior.

Here’s the issue in term of symptoms:
  • Exhaust seems a LOT quieter than stock in every setting and combination of settings (engine modes - comfort/sport/sport+ and exhaust console button “on ; lit”/“off ; not lit”)
  • It appears the exhaust flaps are staying closed more often than with stock exhaust, if not all the time
  • Cold start is totally silent now, although the RPMs do flare like normal
  • When I remote-start from the key fob (3 rapid lock button-presses) the car does cold-start with flaps open and is LOUD (louder than stock, as you would expect). This is the only scenario where I can get a cold start with flaps open.
  • As soon as I get in the car AND THEN press the brakes and the START button to formally turn the car on, the exhaust flaps snap shut again and the car goes into silent mode. Changing the engine modes at this point makes NO difference to sound.
  • Installer is certain we have the valve actuators physically connected correctly via the supplied springs. he’s also confident of the electrical connector (indeed we did use the supplied wiring extenders).

Thoughts??
I don't recall a spring and I definitely didn't have to do a wire extender.
The valve controlling mechanism is just a module. A black plastic box that bolts onto the exhaust and physically connects to a "screw" that turns and when it turns it opens and closes the flap

show photos
Appreciate 1
ashmostro1251.00
      10-09-2021, 07:32 AM   #3
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Edit: I just read your post again. It sounds like the valves are working (mechanically) but that module controller might be the issue. Is there a way to remove that? I would start there.

I don’t have this exhaust but I have a Remus and they sent me different springs for the valve actuator to exhaust connection. They are squeezed in there good and it’s easy for one to pop out of the groove they fit in. Are you sure those springs are installed? If not the actuator will just spin and the valves aren’t moving. You should be able to get under the back of the car and look up and see the springs. It might take you a minute or two of staring at the actuator and moving around a little but if the spring is loose you can see it. Also, another way to verify is press the sport plus button and then look into the exhaust with a flash light and you can see if the valve is working or not. It should be wide open in sport plus. You don’t need to turn the car on for this only ACC.

If mechanically this is all working and correct then you have a problem with that module that particular exhaust has with it.
Appreciate 1
ashmostro1251.00
      10-09-2021, 10:26 AM   #4
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Good questions. Let me clarify.

The springs, like yours for the Remus system, are specific to the FI system and came with the exhaust. We currently have no reason to think they were incorrectly installed (will justify this in a second) but it is one of the things we will be checking today.

The kit is available with an *optional* controller box that bypasses the OEM controller, but I did not opt for it (yet). Therefore, the factory programming for valve actuation is still being used.

I initially suspected faulty installation of the valve actuators/spring combo… however this behavior of cold-starting when remote-started suggests there is a sound mechanical connection, and that there is a software issue. That said, this doesn’t seem to be how the software was behaving with the factory exhaust, so I feel like something in the installation must be awry.

Or perhaps the BMW electronics have detected an issue and are defaulting to a “safe” condition. BUT the problem with that theory is, I’m not getting any trouble codes…

It’s a real puzzle…
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 04:09 PM   #5
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Good questions. Let me clarify.

The springs, like yours for the Remus system, are specific to the FI system and came with the exhaust. We currently have no reason to think they were incorrectly installed (will justify this in a second) but it is one of the things we will be checking today.

The kit is available with an *optional* controller box that bypasses the OEM controller, but I did not opt for it (yet). Therefore, the factory programming for valve actuation is still being used.

I initially suspected faulty installation of the valve actuators/spring combo… however this behavior of cold-starting when remote-started suggests there is a sound mechanical connection, and that there is a software issue. That said, this doesn’t seem to be how the software was behaving with the factory exhaust, so I feel like something in the installation must be awry.

Or perhaps the BMW electronics have detected an issue and are defaulting to a “safe” condition. BUT the problem with that theory is, I’m not getting any trouble codes…

It’s a real puzzle…

Silly question but were the valves open when you turned the car off before the exhaust was installed and actuators reinstalled ? If so that might be the problem.
Appreciate 1
ashmostro1251.00
      10-09-2021, 05:12 PM   #6
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Fixed it!!!!

It was a real search for the truth, but my awesome installer Luc (from Speed and Tech Motoring in Sterling, VA) and I racked our brains and decided in a last ditch effort to look at the wire extenders FI supplies. Aaaaaaand guess what... FI supplied extenders with three wires while the factory wires use all four conductors available on the plug. A position feedback-style control, possibly servo. 3 wires is non-feedback intended for DC stepper control.

So we disconnected the extenders and re routed the factory wires to gain enough slack, plugged them in, and bam... Everything started to behave as intended!

Tons of thanks to Luc and the owner Rashed (aka Raja) at Speed and Tech! And of course, I'll be writing a note to FI to inform them of their mistake.

Last edited by ashmostro; 10-09-2021 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0