BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Steel Alternative Brake Setup for Carbon Ceramic Equipped Cars?

09-21-2021, 07:57 PM   #1
Agonz128
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4

Steel Alternative Brake Setup for Carbon Ceramic Equipped Cars?

Just picked up my "new to me" 2018 M5. It is equipped with the carbon ceramics which I have zero interest in tracking for obvious reasons.

Is there a steel rotor alternative disc that can be used for track days? On that same topic, if there is a steel rotor alternative available, does anyone make a track pad and titanium shims for this particular caliper?

I have been unable to find out if this rotor and/or caliper setup is used in any other car (which would make it easier to get an answer to these questions).

FWIW, I track my cars about 3-4 times per year.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 09:51 PM   #2
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agonz128 View Post
Just picked up my "new to me" 2018 M5. It is equipped with the carbon ceramics which I have zero interest in tracking for obvious reasons.

Is there a steel rotor alternative disc that can be used for track days? On that same topic, if there is a steel rotor alternative available, does anyone make a track pad and titanium shims for this particular caliper?

I have been unable to find out if this rotor and/or caliper setup is used in any other car (which would make it easier to get an answer to these questions).

FWIW, I track my cars about 3-4 times per year.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to hell my friend. I have a 2018 M5 that has been tracked 4 times per year since I bought it in 2018. My dealership ordered it for me specifically without my knowledge with metal brakes because I knew I would have the same problem as you do above. I murdered two full sets of ceramics on my GT-R before I traded it in. I have the metal brakes. Finding pads for this beast has been a pain in the ass, but GOOD NEWS - the stock pads are pretty good even for track (no I'm not kidding. I'm hell on brakes on track, and other than the rears being no where near up to the task and require frequent replacement, they're pretty good).

Now my new connundrum. My M5 CS is on the way with - Tah dah, only carbon ceramics. Dammit.

FORTUNATELY, the ceramic rotors and the metal rotors are REAL close in diameter. Maybe 2mm radius off. I cannot advise this for certain right now, I haven't tried it myself. But it's REAL CLOSE.

ONE thing I am certain of - if you can buy the blue calipers off a used F90 and rotors, you're in business with all metal brakes. They will fit for certain 1000%. The cost for this is pretty high - except the ENTIRE cost is less than ONE replacement brake rotor of the front carbon ceramics (probably why you're interested in this endeavor). So, take this under advisement. I know the problem can be addressed effectively.

As far as track pads, best I have found is RacingBrake for this.

Here go:
https://racingbrake.com/f90-2018/

Pagid makes a metal "track" brake sold only in Europe. BMW will not export it here. One member found it for me in one of the threads. It looks prohibitively expensive ($700 plus for fronts).

Supposedly, Endless is making a track pad in the MX line, but I cannot confirm parts numbers. EBC has some pads that fit the caliper. I cannot vouch for the pads, however.

Good luck man. I have a track day scheduled for November for me. I'm hoping the CS gets here before that. I have procured carbon ceramic pads for the rear in preparation as backup. (BMW original). I have the same concerns you do. I hope they will stand up to the punishment.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 09:53 PM   #3
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Oh yeah, this setup is also on the M8, if that helps.

My only beef is the shitty single piston rear caliper with the electronic parking brake. $100,000 car with grandma's 528i caliper in the rear. "Really, who throws a shoe?"

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 06:06 AM   #4
Agonz128
Private
Rep

Appreciate your responses more than I can possibly describe!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #5
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate your responses more than I can possibly describe!
You're welcome. BTW, replacing the rear pads is a giant PITA as well because of the electronic parking brakes. Supposedly, some OBD2 scanners/tools can retract the piston. I cannot find one. I use a mechanical retractor that winds the piston back in.

If you need help with this endeavor, I'll do my best.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 08:47 PM   #6
Agonz128
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
You're welcome. BTW, replacing the rear pads is a giant PITA as well because of the electronic parking brakes. Supposedly, some OBD2 scanners/tools can retract the piston. I cannot find one. I use a mechanical retractor that winds the piston back in.

If you need help with this endeavor, I'll do my best.

Shawn
Actually had to do this to help my dad with his RS7. Shockingly, the easiest way to do it with hand tools was to let the e brake pop the piston out or use a compressor, take off the line, twist the internal screw down, then re seat the piston and reinstall the caliper. Believe it or not, this method let us do the rears in about 45 mins each side.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 10:10 PM   #7
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Actually had to do this to help my dad with his RS7. Shockingly, the easiest way to do it with hand tools was to let the e brake pop the piston out or use a compressor, take off the line, twist the internal screw down, then re seat the piston and reinstall the caliper. Believe it or not, this method let us do the rears in about 45 mins each side.
Might work. Suggest - don't. The piston seems to not be disassembled easily. If you really INSIST on not getting a tool, screw the EPB motor off the back of the caliper (it's just two torx screws - it's fiddly but doable) and then wind the caliper back in using a torx driver into the back of the caliper. The EPB motor drives the caliper using a shaft that looks like a torx bit.

Getting the accessory tool costs about $25, and NONE of the above "fiddleness" is required. I can direct you to videos of both processes if you need.

Shawn
Appreciate 0