BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Paint correcting my M5 (myself)

03-11-2021, 09:15 PM   #1
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Paint correcting my M5 (myself)

Have some swirls I want to try to tackle myself and bought the Adam’s DA polisher, pads, and compound/polish. Seemed like decent value and maybe a fun way to spend time in my garage.

Anyone else here attempt this? Is the clear coat known for being hard or soft on these cars? What compound/polish/pad combos do you like/recommend for light paint correction?

Reading around the forum seems like a lot of PPF and professionally coated cars so maybe I’m the only lunatic who would enjoy this.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 02:09 PM   #2
Jamesmick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseatsm5 View Post
Have some swirls I want to try to tackle myself and bought the Adam’s DA polisher, pads, and compound/polish. Seemed like decent value and maybe a fun way to spend time in my garage.

Anyone else here attempt this? Is the clear coat known for being hard or soft on these cars? What compound/polish/pad combos do you like/recommend for light paint correction?

Reading around the forum seems like a lot of PPF and professionally coated cars so maybe I’m the only lunatic who would enjoy this.
Sounds like a fun project! I did some on mine before I had it ceramic coated. I used Griots Garage products though so not sure how Adam's will translate (although I love his products too).

Good luck, have fun and take some before and after photos to share here!
2003 530i (retired)
2000 C32 AMG (retired)
Appreciate 2
      03-12-2021, 05:37 PM   #3
rgill95
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

While I got mine professionally coated since it's a frozen color, I have also purchased adams polisher. I plan to paint correct our ram, check out pantheorganizer on youtube he has some real good videos. Keep us updated with the whole process would love to see how it turns out!
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesmick View Post
Sounds like a fun project! I did some on mine before I had it ceramic coated. I used Griots Garage products though so not sure how Adam's will translate (although I love his products too).

Good luck, have fun and take some before and after photos to share here!
Will do. My swirls I think are in the ceramic so going to see what happens with a light polish. Possible I have to recoat in that area afterward I don’t know but I can’t help myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 08:33 AM   #5
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgill95 View Post
While I got mine professionally coated since it's a frozen color, I have also purchased adams polisher. I plan to paint correct our ram, check out pantheorganizer on youtube he has some real good videos. Keep us updated with the whole process would love to see how it turns out!
The frozen colors are amazing but there’s just no way I could live with the stress. Did you PPF the whole thing too or would that mess with the frozen effect?

Yep, I watch Pan. He’s very good. Detailing really scratches me where I itch, and living in CA I don’t ever contend with the salt/snow/mud that would make keeping the car nice impossible.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 09:01 PM   #6
Mike_Rob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18' M5 F90

I just finished up some correction on my new to me car. Adams polishes color matches the polishing liquids with their pad color although I use meguiars 105/205 compound/polish. It takes quite a bit of compounding on BMW's clear with basic equipment depending on the severity. I corrected my wife's 330i after purchase and it took forever.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
GTATX1104.00
Jamesmick131.00
      03-13-2021, 09:29 PM   #7
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

i would classify BMW paint as hard. One good tip to remember, is always start with the least aggressive method first. It could very well be what you need.

And be careful on body lines, too much heat generated could burn the paint and you'll be in the paint shop. Any more questions PM me.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2021, 10:45 PM   #8
Mike_Rob
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
i would classify BMW paint as hard. One good tip to remember, is always start with the least aggressive method first. It could very well be what you need.

And be careful on body lines, too much heat generated could burn the paint and you'll be in the paint shop. Any more questions PM me.

Dual action polishers don't generate that much heat or power. There're extremely safe, that's why there're so popular.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 12:12 AM   #9
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rob View Post
I just finished up some correction on my new to me car. Adams polishes color matches the polishing liquids with their pad color although I use meguiars 105/205 compound/polish. It takes quite a bit of compounding on BMW's clear with basic equipment depending on the severity. I corrected my wife's 330i after purchase and it took forever.
Could u list what you exactly used? Thanks
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 1
YanoM5500.50
      03-14-2021, 11:11 AM   #10
Mike_Rob
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTATX View Post
Griot's Garage fine surface prep mitt (clay)
Chemical guys citrus wash and Gloss
Meguiars Iron removing spray
Griot's Garage DA polisher (last gen)
BOSS FAST CORRECTING FOAM PAD (heavy cut)
BOSS CORRECTING FOAM PADS (medium cut)
BOSS PERFECTING FOAM PADS (finishing pad)
Adam's Polishes black wax/sealant pad (outdated)
Meguiars 105 Ultra cut compound (heavy cut pad)
Meguiars Ultimate compound (medium cut pad)
Meguiars 205 Ultra finishing polish (finishing pad)
Meguiars NXT tech wax 2.0 (sealant) (black pad)

Next week I'll layer it with Adam's Polishes glaze and a few days after that, Wolfgang Füzion Carnauba Polymer Estate Wax with a red Adam's Polishes pad.

Last edited by Mike_Rob; 03-14-2021 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: Left off info
Appreciate 1
GTATX1104.00
      03-14-2021, 11:15 AM   #11
Mike_Rob
Enlisted Member
Rep

And like TrevorM3 mentioned use the lightest cut pad and polish first. Also analyze what's touching your paint during maintenance washes so swirling and scratches aren't reintroduced. Don't forget adequate lighting to find imperfections.

Last edited by Mike_Rob; 03-14-2021 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Left off info
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2021, 11:15 AM   #12
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rob View Post
Quote:
Griot's Garage DA polisher (last gen)
BOSS FAST CORRECTING FOAM PAD (heavy cut)
BOSS CORRECTING FOAM PADS (medium cut)
BOSS PERFECTING FOAM PADS (finishing pad)
Adam's Polishes black wax/sealant pad (outdated)
Meguiars 105 Ultra cut compound (heavy cut pad)
Meguiars Ultimate compound (medium cut pad)
Meguiars 205 Ultra finishing polish (finishing pad)
Meguiars NXT tech wax 2.0 (sealant) (black pad)

Next week I'll layer it with Adam's Polishes glaze and a few days after that, Wolfgang Füzion Carnauba Polymer Estate Wax with a red Adam's Polishes pad.
Thanks mans

I have chemical guys detailing kit. It came with torq buffer with 4 different pads so I'm using they will be ok? I ordered Adams blue compound, detailing spray, polish and clay bar yesterday so should be reviewing tomorrow. Hoping all this will be enough. Plus I have chemical guys 4 different VSS polish as well.

I don't mind investing it everything u got unless u think what I have is good enough?

Thanks a lot bud.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 1
YanoM5500.50
      03-14-2021, 11:40 AM   #13
Mike_Rob
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thanks mans

I have chemical guys detailing kit. It came with torq buffer with 4 different pads so I'm using they will be ok? I ordered Adams blue compound, detailing spray, polish and clay bar yesterday so should be reviewing tomorrow. Hoping all this will be enough. Plus I have chemical guys 4 different VSS polish as well.

I don't mind investing it everything u got unless u think what I have is good enough?

Thanks a lot bud.
Yes you're set. Chemical guys pads are actually pretty good.

Some tips: watch Chemical Guys how to videos on YouTube in reference to prep, polisher use and their polishing system.
You need atleast 3-5 quality microfiber towels for polish removal.
Take your time with the clay. It's important.
While correcting look at your section of work from different angles to find imperfections.
When you apply wax or sealant after give 24 hours to bond ( don't get it wet)
Appreciate 1
GTATX1104.00
      03-14-2021, 02:10 PM   #14
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
Rep

Alright I knocked it out this morning. Very pleased with the results!

The Adam’s blue microfiber cutting pad and compound followed by the Adam’s white foam polishing pad and polish worked well. I initially tried just the white foam polishing pad and polish (“least aggressive” method, no luck) and then the Adam’s one-step pad with 3D One hybrid polish (“medium aggressive” method, also no luck).

In my case the area had been Xpel coated a year-ago and I guess they were scratches/swirls I introduced into the coating. I followed up the correction with an IPA wipe down and some Adam’s ceramic coating which is curing now. Everything seems to be in good shape as far as I can tell, will let people know if I discover any issues.

Only area I did was top of trunk lid where the imperfections had been bugging me. Attached is an after photo; I forgot to take before. You probably wouldn’t be able to spot anything anyway from this photo except you can see how amazing the gloss looks.
Attached Images

Last edited by carseatsm5; 03-14-2021 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Pic was upside down.
Appreciate 2
      03-14-2021, 02:33 PM   #15
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post

Appreciate the advice and offer.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 05:18 PM   #16
Mike_Rob
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

The Adam’s blue microfiber cutting pad and compound followed by the Adam’s white foam polishing pad and polish worked well. I initially tried just the white foam polishing pad and polish (“least aggressive” method, no luck) and then the Adam’s one-step pad with 3D One hybrid polish (“medium aggressive” method, also no luck).

In my case the area had been Xpel coated a year-ago and I guess they were scratches/swirls I introduced into the coating. I followed up the correction with an IPA wipe down and some Adam’s ceramic coating which is curing now. Everything seems to be in good shape as far as I can tell, will let people know if I discover any issues.

Only area I did was top of trunk lid where the imperfections had been bugging me. Attached is an after photo; I forgot to take before. You probably wouldn’t be able to spot anything anyway from this photo except you can see how amazing the gloss looks.
Looks great! If it looks good in direct sunlight you've done a good job.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2021, 12:10 PM   #17
Jamesmick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 Azurite Black

Quote:

Looks good!
2003 530i (retired)
2000 C32 AMG (retired)
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #18
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Quote:
...Only area I did was top of trunk lid where the imperfections had been bugging me...
This is where I’m at. I had the pro carbon spoiler installed at the dealer, and they have butchered my trunk lid, right up to the spoiler. Pretty sure there is at least one scratch through the clear back there.

I am a TOTAL newb (as in, all this talk about all these different pads and polishes and polishers is making my head spin!), but want to give this a try, and see if I can’t make my trunk lid look like yours! I do have SOME level of mechanical aptitude, so I’m pretty sure I can do it. I just can’t get straight on exactly what I need to start off with. I’ve been to the autopia.org forums, but quite frankly don’t trust it, as some of the posts on there are approaching 20 yrs. old now! Surely some of that information has been superseded by newer technologies by now. Besides that, I can never pin down just exactly what it is that I need to know, and then find some good threads on it.

First things first, I know I need a polisher, and from all I am reading, a dual-action one is the way to go. Several people have said good things about the Griot’s Garage machines. Can anyone confirm or possibly redirect? I realize there are lots of different criteria, but what I need is a good polisher, that is good for even a beginner, but possibly give me room to grow, yet reasonably priced, and still very effective.

Then, I know I need some pads. This is where things are really starting to make my head spin. I am seeing all kinds of different manufacturer names, all kinds of different “colors”, and all kinds of different “cut”. Let me throw out what I think I know, here, and I am happy to accept correction if I am mistaken. “Cut” is how strong the pad is, somewhat like “grit” for sandpaper (yes, I really am THAT much of a newb, but I want to learn, so please go easy!). Then, each of these manufacturers has their own different cut level, identified by the different color of their pads, for a light, medium, or heavy job. My car is basically brand new, but it does have—as I mentioned—a couple scratches near the spoiler, and then when I shine a light on the rest of the trunk lid, I can see other various swirl marks which manifest, though it appears nothing crazy. I have Tanzanite Blue, so I would really love to polish it up really well, then put a sealant on it, so those blue sparkles will really come out!

Next, I assume is which polish I actually use. Here again, I have no idea what manufacturer, what strength, etc, so in light of the above information about my car, I am happy to take suggestions. My hope is that this might develop into an enjoyable new hobby for me, but I really need some help, and I have been searching all over for one particular thread which lays it all out, and I can’t seem to find that. So, any help and or advice is appreciated. Sorry, OP, not intending to hijack, but maybe since this all applies to your original query, others might find it useful as well.

As for my sealant, I am seriously thinking of Wolfgang SiO2, as I’ve heard it gives a nice long-lasting seal. I am fine with applying 2-3 times per year. I do not think I am ready yet to apply ceramic, and I know I am not going to pay to have that done, at this point. I was quoted $10,000 for a full paint correction and ceramic coating! No thanks!

Last edited by ///WeissBisBlau; 03-20-2021 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2021, 02:30 PM   #19
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBisBlau View Post
This is where I’m at. I had the pro carbon spoiler installed at the dealer, and they have butchered my trunk lid, right up to the spoiler. Pretty sure there is at least one scratch through the clear back there.

I am a TOTAL newb (as in, all this talk about all these different pads and polishes and polishers is making my head spin!), but want to give this a try, and see if I can’t make my trunk lid look like yours! I do have SOME level of mechanical aptitude, so I’m pretty sure I can do it. I just can’t get straight on exactly what I need to start off with. I’ve been to the autopia.org forums, but quite frankly don’t trust it, as some of the posts on there are approaching 20 yrs. old now! Surely some of that information has been superseded by newer technologies by now. Besides that, I can never pin down just exactly what it is that I need to know, and then find some good threads on it.

First things first, I know I need a polisher, and from all I am reading, a dual-action one is the way to go. Several people have said good things about the Griot’s Garage machines. Can anyone confirm or possibly redirect? I realize there are lots of different criteria, but what I need is a good polisher, that is good for even a beginner, but possibly give me room to grow, yet reasonably priced, and still very effective.

Then, I know I need some pads. This is where things are really starting to make my head spin. I am seeing all kinds of different manufacturer names, all kinds of different “colors”, and all kinds of different “cut”. Let me throw out what I think I know, here, and I am happy to accept correction if I am mistaken. “Cut” is how strong the pad is, somewhat like “grit” for sandpaper (yes, I really am THAT much of a newb, but I want to learn, so please go easy!). Then, each of these manufacturers has their own different cut level, identified by the different color of their pads, for a light, medium, or heavy job. My car is basically brand new, but it does have—as I mentioned—a couple scratches near the spoiler, and then when I shine a light on the rest of the trunk lid, I can see other various swirl marks which manifest, though it appears nothing crazy. I have Tanzanite Blue, so I would really love to polish it up really well, then put a sealant on it, so those blue sparkles will really come out!

Next, I assume is which polish I actually use. Here again, I have no idea what manufacturer, what strength, etc, so in light of the above information about my car, I am happy to take suggestions. My hope is that this might develop into an enjoyable new hobby for me, but I really need some help, and I have been searching all over for one particular thread which lays it all out, and I can’t seem to find that. So, any help and or advice is appreciated. Sorry, OP, not intending to hijack, but maybe since this all applies to your original query, others might find it useful as well.

As for my sealant, I am seriously thinking of Wolfgang SiO2, as I’ve heard it gives a nice long-lasting seal. I am fine with applying 2-3 times per year. I do not think I am ready yet to apply ceramic, and I know I am not going to pay to have that done, at this point. I was quoted $10,000 for a full paint correction and ceramic coating! No thanks!
I like your enthusiasm because I’m right there with you.

I would recommend an Adam’s kit because it’s very beginner friendly but also the machine and products are high enough quality to grow with you. Maybe Griots has same I’ve also heard that brand mentioned in a similar vein. Adam’s also has a very easy-to-follow video series and an active forum where company reps are extremely responsive if you have questions (like I had).

Pan the Organizer was mentioned earlier as a super YouTube channel for all things detailing with an infinite number of product reviews. You could spend a month going down that rabbit hole. I’ve found it’s very easy to become a product junkie and buy every new chemical you see reviewed which frankly isn’t too big a deal because most of the stuff is cheap. Realistically the chemicals are very similar across brands for sealants and ceramics so unless you’re extremely discerning I very much doubt you can go wrong.

My general observation is that years ago this was a much more specialized skill where detailers were mainly using rotary buffers that generate more heat and can damage the paint easily if you don’t know what you’re doing. Now the dual action machines and consumer-grade systems are very safe and very effective for our “guy in his garage” purposes so don’t stress too much. If you just pick a good brand and start with their system you’ll find the process easy and I’m sure will be pleased with the results. Worked for me.

Adam’s kit: https://adamspolishes.com/collection...-polishing-kit

Adam’s polishing video series: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...-96Shcyb3VyUDy

Pan Polishing for beginners:

Pan “best of 2020” products video:
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 02:51 PM   #20
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Thank you! Very much appreciated. Yes I have seen Pan on YT quite a bit, and he does appear to have some very good videos, and I think he’s also a BMW guy, so there’s that. I do plan to, before I get started, devour his videos, as he does seem to be very clear and concise and helpful. I just wasn’t really sure about how he was perceived in the realm of detailing, though he said he has over 20 years’ experience! Anyway, thank you for your suggestions, and for your encouragement.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 07:57 PM   #21
Mike_Rob
Enlisted Member
Rep

carseatsm5 advice is spot on. Chemical guys, Adam's Polishes, griot's garage and Meguiars all have close enough results. Each company has a "system" of paint care with easy to use products and detailed instructions. Start simple and if you catch the bug you'll learn more about the process as you go like most things in life.

I learned ALOT about detailing through autogeek. They have a ton of different car care products and they explained everything each product does in detail. There isn't a resource I trust more than autogeek. You guys have the knowledge and the vigor for detailing and it's alot cheaper than a reputable shop to tackle it yourself.
Appreciate 0