BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Issue with Spotify & CarPlay

03-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #1
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Issue with Spotify & CarPlay

Is anyone else having issues? Every time I want to play music in my M5, especially on CarPlay, it makes me turn off car view in Spotify, then I have to click "this iPhone" and it happens every time. Am I doing something wrong?

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 04:55 PM   #2
KASM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I didn't have your specific issue but I was having Spotify play issues with Apple car play. The only way I eventually fixed it was was to 'forget' bmw on phone and my iPhone on BMW 7. Then I reconnected Spotify then my phone. Since then it's been perfect...best I got. Hopefully someone can chime in
Appreciate 1
Padfan9812.50
      03-22-2021, 09:31 PM   #3
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Yes! I have had this happen, too! I play my Spotify through CarPlay, and I would see the timer moving, but no sound coming through the speakers. It has taken me forever to figure out that I could bring the sound back to CarPlay by selecting to play “on this iPhone”! I believe that what is happening is that it is getting confused—perhaps since the latest iPhone update—about whether it should play through iDrive (BMW XXXXX) or CarPlay. Therefore, I think that the solution would be to “forget” your car from your phone, if you were a planning to use CarPlay. That would be a PITA, though, if for some reason you actually needed to connect your phone through iDrive. Idk, I’m just spitballing here. I haven’t tried this as a fix yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 11:35 AM   #4
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
no issues on mine. I do hate that everytime i pull up waze it kicks my radio off to use waze audio even though i have waze audio turned off...that's annoying AF.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
Padfan9812.50
      03-23-2021, 11:44 AM   #5
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I do like the idea of removing the iPhone from the car and then with Carplay as the default repair the phone and see if that fixes the issue. Also delete the BMW from the iPhone as well and start fresh.
Appreciate 1
Padfan9812.50
      03-23-2021, 03:45 PM   #6
Billyboy
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 F90

I've got the exact same issue as well, need to select play on this phone in spotify to get sound. I'll try removing the phone-car connections and we'll see how that goes. Very annoying bug.
Appreciate 1
Padfan9812.50
      03-23-2021, 03:52 PM   #7
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp, 2011 M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
I have this same exact issue. I hate having to click "this iPhone" in Spotify when connected to Apple CarPlay. I'll also delete phone from car and BMW from phone to see if that does the trick.
Appreciate 1
Padfan9812.50
      03-24-2021, 02:13 PM   #8
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatias03 View Post
I have this same exact issue. I hate having to click "this iPhone" in Spotify when connected to Apple CarPlay. I'll also delete phone from car and BMW from phone to see if that does the trick.
I tried disconnecting everything and reconnecting and it didn't fix the issue!

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 03:10 PM   #9
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Ok, so also I noticed the other night that Spotify “remembers” your car as a device, even if you forget your car from your phone Bluetooth connections, so try forgetting your Bluetooth connection (BMW XXXXX) from Spotify, as well as your phone.
Appreciate 1
gblansten1981.00
      03-24-2021, 08:09 PM   #10
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp, 2011 M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
Quote:
I did this as well and still the same issue. First use of the day it works fine but after that I have to go into Spotify and select "this iPhone"

I think the issue is related to Apple software and not idrive.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 08:31 PM   #11
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I did this as well and still the same issue. First use of the day it works fine but after that I have to go into Spotify and select "this iPhone"

Same here.

I found my solution as follows:

1. Leave CarPlay enabled
2. Delete Spotify from the CarPlay apps on the iPhone
3. Use the native BMW Spotify app

Now I have Siri when I need her (including through the Voice Interaction steering wheel button); both BMW and CarPlay map apps and the flexibility to play all of my iPhone music (including iTunes music because Spotify plays that, too, via its Library).

I no longer have this issue... or at least not thus far.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:04 PM   #12
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

I use my iPhone with iDrive and don't use Carplay and I have had no real issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:20 PM   #13
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I use my iPhone with iDrive and don't use Carplay and I have had no real issues.
Right. But without CarPlay, you have no Siri integration or any other app that BMW don't natively support—you're missing out.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:22 PM   #14
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Right. But without CarPlay, you have no Siri integration or any other app that BMW don't natively support—you're missing out.
I use Siri constantly. I either just say Hey Siri out loud or I hold the speak button down on the steering wheel Forman extra second and say hey Siri.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:34 PM   #15
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I use Siri constantly. I either just say Hey Siri out loud or I hold the speak button down on the steering wheel Forman extra second and say hey Siri.
What year and model is your car? For the later/latest generation of iDrive, and without CarPlay, you have no Siri integration—the long-press no longer works without it.

I'm not trying to extol the virtues of CarPlay, I'm merely saying that a solution to this thread's stated problem (which is pertinent only to later iDrive versions) does exist.

That said and in my opinion, if you haven't tried it, then you are missing out: the scenarios that CarPlay enables in your vehicle are boundless. If you're happy as you are or if your iDrive doesn't support CarPlay then...

But this thread is about an issue that occurs when folks want both—presumably because they find both advantageous... I most certainly do.

In addition, to compare the legacy integration over Bluetooth or even BMW's latest voice assistant to Siri is roughly equivalent to comparing a 90's Nokia to a 2021 Android/iPhone natural-language AI both in terms of comprehension and utility.

Growth mindset.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 07:42 AM   #16
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What year and model is your car? For the later/latest generation of iDrive, and without CarPlay, you have no Siri integration—the long-press no longer works without it.

I'm not trying to extol the virtues of CarPlay, I'm merely saying that a solution to this thread's stated problem (which is pertinent only to later iDrive versions) does exist.

That said and in my opinion, if you haven't tried it, then you are missing out: the scenarios that CarPlay enables in your vehicle are boundless. If you're happy as you are or if your iDrive doesn't support CarPlay then...

But this thread is about an issue that occurs when folks want both—presumably because they find both advantageous... I most certainly do.

In addition, to compare the legacy integration over Bluetooth or even BMW's latest voice assistant to Siri is roughly equivalent to comparing a 90's Nokia to a 2021 Android/iPhone natural-language AI both in terms of comprehension and utility.

Growth mindset.
I haven't cared for Carplay and I'm a big Apple fan. I've tried it with several cars including my 2020 M5 that I got 13 months ago. I definitely know the irritation of stuff like this and I hope you guys get it figured out and post the fix here.
Appreciate 1
Padfan9812.50
      03-25-2021, 08:30 AM   #17
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Growth mindset.
I haven't cared for Carplay and I'm a big Apple fan. I've tried it with several cars including my 2020 M5 that I got 13 months ago. I definitely know the irritation of stuff like this and I hope you guys get it figured out and post the fix here.
Understood. I agree mostly but I missed the long-push for Siri so I activated CarPlay for that. I still use BMW nav and iDrive Spotify but it's handy to have alternatives that don't intrude on my daily-use BMW native features, e.g. ordering my Starbucks via Siri and answering the prompts on the touchscreen... among others.
Appreciate 1
gblansten1981.00
      03-25-2021, 12:08 PM   #18
Billyboy
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 F90

I had the same problem as described. It was pretty easy to resolve.
1. Delete phone from car
2. Delete car from phone
3. Repair car and phone

Done! Default sound was now back to car speakers.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 01:43 PM   #19
AuZZZie
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5

Gents,

I have found a quick solution to pretty much all of my random Carplay quirks that might help others.

My issues

1. When doing short trips, Carplay often doesn't resume focus and sometimes it won't even load if I manually select it.
2. If it does resume, Carplay is really sluggish.

For both, if I hit the Options button (next to iDrive controller), then hit back Carplay will load or it will resume Carplay and the lag is fixed.

Much quicker and easier than re-adding the phone etc.
Appreciate 1
Jamesmick131.00
      03-25-2021, 02:31 PM   #20
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do like the idea of removing the iPhone from the car and then with Carplay as the default repair the phone and see if that fixes the issue. Also delete the BMW from the iPhone as well and start fresh.
I tried, it didn't work unfortunately .. this is super annoying.

Appreciate 1
gblansten1981.00
      03-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #21
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Same here.

I found my solution as follows:

1. Leave CarPlay enabled
2. Delete Spotify from the CarPlay apps on the iPhone
3. Use the native BMW Spotify app

Now I have Siri when I need her (including through the Voice Interaction steering wheel button); both BMW and CarPlay map apps and the flexibility to play all of my iPhone music (including iTunes music because Spotify plays that, too, via its Library).

I no longer have this issue... or at least not thus far.
I just deleted Spotify from my CarPlay on iPhone. Let's see if that works. Thanks!

Appreciate 1
limeypride4425.00
      03-25-2021, 04:11 PM   #22
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Growth mindset.
Understood. I agree mostly but I missed the long-push for Siri so I activated CarPlay for that. I still use BMW nav and iDrive Spotify but it's handy to have alternatives that don't intrude on my daily-use BMW native features, e.g. ordering my Starbucks via Siri and answering the prompts on the touchscreen... among others.
I use Siri just by saying "hi Siri". I send text messages when driving this was just using speech.
Appreciate 0