Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
I'm starting to believe, this is BMW's take on a BMW supercar. The top gear review was strong, the ads had flashes of it over an M1.

Wouldn't a BMW supercar be a sedan?
BMW absolutely missed their chance for a true halo car/super car. Had they put a real engine in the body of the i8 instead of that moronic hybrid system (and then let the M department handle the rest) it would have been an absolute monster.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 02:32 AM   #24
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
haha, dont mean to start this debate.. but...

turbo s isn't an exotic. fight me.
Pretty sure it’s retail price and performance is enough justification to class it an exotic.

As an M5 Comp owner I actually don’t get the point of the CS, especially in a big heavy 4dr saloon which isn’t really designed for the track. Sure it will post an impressive one maybe two laps but it’s weight will kill it’s tyres and brakes to not really be much use beyond five hard laps tops with of those five hard laps getting decidedly slower.

CS should be reserved for its lightest M cars IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 05:56 AM   #25
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Pretty sure it’s retail price and performance is enough justification to class it an exotic.

As an M5 Comp owner I actually don’t get the point of the CS, especially in a big heavy 4dr saloon which isn’t really designed for the track. Sure it will post an impressive one maybe two laps but it’s weight will kill it’s tyres and brakes to not really be much use beyond five hard laps tops with of those five hard laps getting decidedly slower.

each person had a different definition of exotic. I think if it's an exotic, it has to look like one. The turbo S looks like every other pcar to me. Of course it's beautiful, and fast, but it doesn't strike me as an exotic.

A 2rs now...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #26
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Quote:
haha, dont mean to start this debate.. but...

turbo s isn't an exotic. fight me.

Doesn't the M5CS only weigh 100kg more than the new M3? And it has over 100 more bhp?

If the M5CS doesn't belong on the track for more than a couple laps then neither does the new M3.

'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 05:28 PM   #27
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Doesn't the M5CS only weigh 100kg more than the new M3? And it has over 100 more bhp?

If the M5CS doesn't belong on the track for more than a couple laps then neither does the new M3.
The new M3 has gained weight when the norm with recent replacements is to shed a few kilos, like the M5 it too will post a very quick few laps but ultimately it’s weight will go against it. There’s a reason why track cars are light.

I love my M5 but they aren’t track cars, they are very quick road cars that is it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 05:36 PM   #28
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
each person had a different definition of exotic. I think if it's an exotic, it has to look like one. The turbo S looks like every other pcar to me. Of course it's beautiful, and fast, but it doesn't strike me as an exotic.

A 2rs now...
If exotic is determined by looks then the Alfa C4 is an exotic, it is after all a low mid engined Italian two seater. LOL

Just because Porsche choose to have a similar look for all their cars doesn’t make the Turbo S any less exotic, ability make it stand out from the crowd but I respect not everyone sees things the same way.

Mates due to take delivery of his F8 Tributo so will see whether it fits the bill or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 05:36 PM   #29
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

I heard from someone on this forum that the M5s tend to overheat after a couple of hard laps; is that true? Wondering if the CS improves that. Otherwise the hood outlets aren't more than window dressing.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 06:13 PM   #30
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
I heard from someone on this forum that the M5s tend to overheat after a couple of hard laps; is that true? Wondering if the CS improves that. Otherwise the hood outlets aren't more than window dressing.
I had overheating issues with the M5 when I did the Advanced M School out at Thermal. It was in November, 2019, so ambient temperature wasn't an issue.

All the instructors knew about the issue. Two hot laps and it would go into limp mode unless you pulled off line to get clean air.

Others have reported no problems at all, so hard to tell what's what.

'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 1
Neptune71416.00
      05-16-2021, 08:27 PM   #31
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:

fwiw, i took my fathers m5 to the track yesterday (drag strip) i did multiple runs back to back, dig and rolls, no issues whatsoever. car was consistent 11.1 all night.
Appreciate 1
Neptune71416.00
      05-17-2021, 08:24 AM   #32
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Quote:

fwiw, i took my fathers m5 to the track yesterday (drag strip) i did multiple runs back to back, dig and rolls, no issues whatsoever. car was consistent 11.1 all night.
Trevor just out of curiosity, why take the M5 instead of the McLaren? I would think the McLaren would be more enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 09:18 AM   #33
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Trevor just out of curiosity, why take the M5 instead of the McLaren? I would think the McLaren would be more enjoyable.

I'm anal about someone hitting me. lol. weird, i know. There's a bunch of younger guys in all sorts of cars that come out for those specfic events and hardly any of them know how to wipe their ass. So i really just can't stomach having some kid hit me and having the Mac down for 6 months waiting on parts.

Yes, the same thing can happen on the street, i know, but the risk is minimal since everyone is driving like a normal human (usually)
Appreciate 0