ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

04-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #23
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
So M3/M4 will collision prevention?
I think the answer to your question is yes. It is called City Collision Mitigation. Maybe that means it will work only under city speed.

Driver Assistance Plus package includes:
- Active Blind Spot Detection
- Active Driving Assistant
- Side and top View Cameras
- Speed Limit Info

According to the official standard and option list on page 6:
- Active Driving Assistant includes Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, Pedestrian Protection and City Collision Mitigation
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #24
humpday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Driver Assist is a waste. The side and top view cameras are useful, but only if you're frequently parking in tight spots or pulling out of streets with obstructed side views. You can actually get that option separate from the Driver Assist package, but only if you get the Executive Package.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #25
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Yas Marina Blue M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpday View Post
Driver Assist is a waste. The side and top view cameras are useful, but only if you're frequently parking in tight spots or pulling out of streets with obstructed side views. You can actually get that option separate from the Driver Assist package, but only if you get the Executive Package.
The only reason I got this option was for the collision warning / mitigation system. From what I've read, it should have some limited auto-braking ability. If this actually saves me from hurting or killing a pedestrian just one time, or rear-ending another car, it would be worth it. (Not that I have ever done that in the past). But you never know if you would need it. If airbags were optional, I bet not everyone would buy them either ("I've never needed them before and I'm just fine.") I think eventually this type of technology will become mandatory equipment.
Appreciate 1
ssgm1x418.50
      04-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #26
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Yas Marina Blue M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelw9 View Post
The only reason I got this option was for the collision warning / mitigation system. From what I've read, it should have some limited auto-braking ability. If this actually saves me from hurting or killing a pedestrian just one time, or rear-ending another car, it would be worth it. (Not that I have ever done that in the past). But you never know if you would need it. If airbags were optional, I bet not everyone would buy them either ("I've never needed them before and I'm just fine.") I think eventually this type of technology will become mandatory equipment.
From BMW's website (for the M4):
BMW’s exclusive Active Driving Assistant systems consists of multiple important features – Lane Departure Warning, Frontal Collision Warning, City Collision Mitigation, and Pedestrian Warning. The Lane Departure Warning registers lane markings with a camera and gently vibrates the steering wheel if you drive over them without signaling. Frontal Collision Warning can actively apply the brakes at speeds under 10mph or reduce collision severity by pre-filling the braking system at higher speeds. The third feature, Pedestrian Warning, is a two-stage system that consists of an acute audible and visual warning on the iDrive screen that also pre-fills the brakes. All that means greater peace of mind ahead.

From BMW's website (for the X5)
Forward Collision Warning prevents collisions by warning the driver when approaching a vehicle ahead too quickly. The driver is alerted by an optical warning and an additional alarm. In addition, City Collision Mitigation prevents collisions by automatically braking, even at speeds of 37 mph or more. Pedestrian Protection has the same functionality but specifically prevents pedestrian collisions.

Since the M4's description doesn't say what the City Collision Mitigation does (except that it has it), I hope the City Collision Mitigation in the M4 does the same.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #27
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

It is my understanding that ZDA safety systems in the package interfere with Radar Detectors. I left out the package explicitly for this reason. I am also not comfortable with Active Braking either. I had a situation backing out of my garage in a Mercedes with the system and the sensors went nuts backing out. The second time I guess I was moving too quickly backing out and the car just slammed the breaks on me even though nothing was behind me. Its just a tight squeeze on the sides. Anybody have any experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #28
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
It is my understanding that ZDA safety systems in the package interfere with Radar Detectors. I left out the package explicitly for this reason. I am also not comfortable with Active Braking either. I had a situation backing out of my garage in a Mercedes with the system and the sensors went nuts backing out. The second time I guess I was moving too quickly backing out and the car just slammed the breaks on me even though nothing was behind me. Its just a tight squeeze on the sides. Anybody have any experience with this?
I remember reading in another thread recently (perhaps on the F30 or F10 sites when I was deciding on driver assistance) that some people with V1's had POP problems and some didn't. I wonder if it's a firmware issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #29
m3ct
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition xDrive Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotEM4 View Post
don't buy driver assist package...don't need them...If you need driver assist, maybe an M car isn't for you. just sayin...
I drive in NYC all the time, and some of those assist options are really helpful when avoiding crazy cabs and tight spaces.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #30
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ct
Quote:
don't buy driver assist package...don't need them...If you need driver assist, maybe an M car isn't for you. just sayin...
I drive in NYC all the time, and some of those assist options are really helpful when avoiding crazy cabs and tight spaces.
Yeah Miami traffic sucks as well. If the top view camera saves me or some valet from curbing the 4k wheels I plan on putting on, it might be worth it. Plus doesn't add much weight. If you have the money might as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #31
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
I remember reading in another thread recently (perhaps on the F30 or F10 sites when I was deciding on driver assistance) that some people with V1's had POP problems and some didn't. I wonder if it's a firmware issue.
I read about that as well. I think for V1 with POP, there is a way to turn it off. I have a 10-year-old V1 and it doesn't have POP. So hopefully my V1 won't go crazy.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #32
991brothers
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

I really dont want this package. Sounds nice but ill think ill pass
2022 BMW M5 Competition - 2016 GT3 RS UltraViolet -2018 GT3 Chalk - 2016 GT3 Lava - 2015 GT3 Guards Red - 2018 Audi RS7 - 2016 F80 M3 - 2015 GT3 Black - 2015 GT3 Carrara White - 2016 991.1 GTS - 2012 997.2 GTS Cabriolet - 2011 E92 M3 - 2006 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 04:36 PM   #33
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 545i/520d/320d/S1000R/E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Interesting info but we can't trust the military guide since it is all estimates and best guesses.

Dynamic Cruise Control is what is standard in the UK and elsewhere, with no Active Cruise option. It does include minimal braking capability, but it's a feature BMW cruise has had for some time. Though the E9x M3 did not have the brake function which may be why the UK guide calls it out.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...e_control.html

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536967
According to the information I got from the dealer and testing this feature on my current car, there is no braking involved at all...all it means is that when you slow down using the cruise control (by manually adjusting it) the brake lights come on...active cruise is not available (which is a bit silly imo)...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #34
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
I read about that as well. I think for V1 with POP, there is a way to turn it off. I have a 10-year-old V1 and it doesn't have POP. So hopefully my V1 won't go crazy.
It will go crazy.

Cheers.
      04-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #35
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
thats the problem... You're using 10 year old tech... My has no problems with laser jammers + STi-R+ or Passport 9500xi
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #36
cipri
Q3D
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [0.00]
2009 E92 M3 6MT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ct
Quote:
Yeah Miami traffic sucks as well. If the top view camera saves me or some valet from curbing the 4k wheels I plan on putting on, it might be worth it. Plus doesn't add much weight. If you have the money might as well.
you do valet?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #37
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpday View Post
I would never survive in our area without it on the m5... I too thought it was an extreme waste, but have come to rely on the triangles blind spot detection and its very good, the side view and top views are insanely good, I will say I don't use lane keeping at all and that goes unused.

My favorite feature on the m5 is the active assistant which sends pulse waves to oncoming traffic that if you've ever texted/dialed and drove (lets be real most people have sent at least one or dialed a number manually) if you get too close you get beeps that let you know you're coming up too fast on an object and is accompanied by not only a picture but a noise that will override the speakers so even if you've got Juicy J turned up to 100% it'll drown that out when you're getting too close. The red car in this picture I snapped means I'm too close and driving too fast for the object in front.

I have found tremendous value in 3 of the options DAP provides.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 03:56 AM   #38
Zero4910
///Mmmm Good!
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

There must be a way to turn off the vibrating wheel for lane departure, right? Anyone know how to go about turning it off?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 05:41 AM   #39
M8 JTD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d & 718 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4910 View Post
There must be a way to turn off the vibrating wheel for lane departure, right? Anyone know how to go about turning it off?
Yes indeed - Just press this button:
Attached Images

Previous Other: Caterham 620, Lotus Exige S, TVR Cerbera
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #40
Jurena
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Honda Accord EX-L Coup

Quote:

Lol that's exactly what my sales agent said, I wanted the executive package for the cameras alone, I find it hard to believe bmw can't make a backup camera standard on a $60+ Car. My 2013 accord coupe comes with all of that already(backup camera, lane departure, front collision, lane assist camera)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #41
Waynedude
Rep
Drives: 10 M3 Vert

Skip driver assist package? not for many.

Quote:
That statement is a little biased, NO? For those living in the burbs or country, driving from a garage to a parking lot on highways daily is one thing. If you live in a city like me, those options are invaluable. I parallel park on the street 2 to 5 times a day. We have no "car space" markings here so the available slots vary dramatically and if you see a spot, you grab it (or the car behind you will). Often these options are less than 8" larger than your cars length, and getting into one is an art. Often you grab a spot only to discover it is to small after numerous iterations trying to fit in. Also our city's curbs are made of solid granite blocks 6" tall. These curbs are much taller than the low profile tires and one mistake and you have a very expensive curb rash incident.

So if the ability for a system to tell you without stopping wither you can fit into a spot and show you the curbs to prevent the inevitable wheel scrapes is invaluable for those in my location. For those of you that are burbites or country folk, skip this option, otherwise, it is an awesome feature for really cheap.
Appreciate 3
danchee136.00
PhatLyfe985.00
      07-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #42
philsM4
Philly50
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 MY16 BMW M4 Alpine White

Garage List
Accident Avoidance Systems in my BMW ///M4

I could NOT agree more with both of your comments. The system really comes in handy when you live in crazy areas like New York City. A place where you're always in traffic or just seconds away from traffic. Last, but never more oblivious, are the pedestrians with their heads buried in mobile phones.

I use it constantly in the city. It has saved me several times from minor to major incidents with NYC taxi drivers, pedestrians on their cell phones walking across on RED lights, and rats the size of small dogs. The vibrations in the steering wheel absolutely kick you in the face and say, "wake up stupid, you're drifting out of the lane or you're going to hit someone so slow down".

Totally worth it if you live in the described areas or have a really short attention span when driving. It
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post

Last edited by philsM4; 07-06-2016 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 2
danchee136.00
      07-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #43
cprx7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i;

I got the driver assist package as the wife will be doing most of driving in the M4. I have to say I like it. The car will NOT stop for you.
      10-19-2018, 03:35 PM   #44
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
Zero interference with my Radar Detector (Uniden R3)