BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    '21 M5C order submitted...feedback requested!

01-09-2021, 09:32 AM   #1
milehighguy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp- On order

'21 M5C order submitted...feedback requested!

Hello Friends! I sold my Merc AMG C63S last night and ordered a '21 M5 Comp (lease). I couldn't be more excited to come back to the BMW family (previously owned a '16 F80). I have a couple build questions that I was hoping for some feedback.

Current Build:

Brands Hatch Grey Exterior
20" M Y-SPOKE FORGED BI-COLOR WHEELS (debating on 20" M DOUBLE-SPOKE BI-COLOR WHEELS instead)
Silverstone Interior (debating on Midrand Beige instead)
Aluminum Dark Carbon Structure trim
Competition Package
Driving Assistance Plus Package
Executive Package
M Compound Brakes with Red Calipers
Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System

For some context, once I take delivery I intend on getting the paint and wheels ceramic coated with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra.

Now on to my questions:

Interior- One thing that is completely racking my brain is the interior. I have never owned Silverstone, let alone seen Silverstone in person. I think the center inserts of the silverstone have a dark grey tone which should pair nicely with the BHG exterior, but I am concerned about upkeep with such a light interior such as dye transfer from pants. Does anyone have any feedback? Am I overthinking this? I really like the Midrand Beige option, however my wife thinks the brown looks a little mustardy. Again, I haven't seen this color in person so it's hard to say. Thoughts?

Wheels- I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but I actually like the design of the Double Spoke Bi-Color wheel better than the Y Spoke. I like that the wheel isn't black and is actually grey, which I thought could be a nice compliment to BHG exterior. I ended up going with the Y Spoke Forged wheels, because well it's in the name...they are forged. I just don't care for the black look of the wheel as I think that could be hard to maintain. I understand that you can only get the Y Spoke wheel on a comp, I'm just not 100% in love with the wheel. Again, I am sure I am overthinking this but wanted to ask the forum for their thoughts.

Thanks in advance. You guys are the best.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:46 AM   #2
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Silverstone: weekly wipe down, and vacuuming is all it needs. I have it in my F80. No harder to take care of than any other leather.

Wheels: get whatever you like from the factory, but if you aren't sold, there are a *shit ton* of aftermarket wheels available out there. Sell the stock wheels, and get something different. I'm going to spec the 20" double spoke bicolor wheels and sell them as soon as I take delivery to find some BBS or HREs. Even if I didn't, I actually prefer them to the Y spoke or the black wheels. Neither look good to me.

Cheers!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2021, 10:04 AM   #3
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp, 2011 M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dworkman99 View Post
Hello Friends! I sold my Merc AMG C63S last night and ordered a '21 M5 Comp (lease). I couldn't be more excited to come back to the BMW family (previously owned a '16 F80). I have a couple build questions that I was hoping for some feedback.

Current Build:

20" M Y-SPOKE FORGED BI-COLOR WHEELS (debating on 20" M DOUBLE-SPOKE BI-COLOR WHEELS instead)
Competition Package
Executive Package

For some context, once I take delivery I intend on getting the paint and wheels ceramic coated with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra.

Now on to my questions:

Interior- One thing that is completely racking my brain is the interior. I have never owned Silverstone, let alone seen Silverstone in person. I think the center inserts of the silverstone have a dark grey tone which should pair nicely with the BHG exterior, but I am concerned about upkeep with such a light interior such as dye transfer from pants. Does anyone have any feedback? Am I overthinking this? I really like the Midrand Beige option, however my wife thinks the brown looks a little mustardy. Again, I haven't seen this color in person so it's hard to say. Thoughts?

Wheels- I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but I actually like the design of the Double Spoke Bi-Color wheel better than the Y Spoke. I like that the wheel isn't black and is actually grey, which I thought could be a nice compliment to BHG exterior. I ended up going with the Y Spoke Forged wheels, because well it's in the name...they are forged. I just don't care for the black look of the wheel as I think that could be hard to maintain. I understand that you can only get the Y Spoke wheel on a comp, I'm just not 100% in love with the wheel. Again, I am sure I am overthinking this but wanted to ask the forum for their thoughts.

Hey man,

Just took my delivery last week on almost the same exact build just different interior. I myself was on the fence between Silverstone and Aragon. I ended up going with Aragon for less maintenance reasons. Silverstone will look excellent with BHG but more maintenance required for sure. If you read around the forums a bunch of people have recommendations on products to use and cleaners in case of dye transfer. It's doable but at the end of the day if you plan on using the M5 as a DD, Silverstone might not be the best option because I think you'll see the wear after time.

Wheels: I ended up going the 20" forged set for the exact same reason and I think it looks great with BHG. So many aftermarket options. Don't go too crazy second guessing your build.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      01-09-2021, 10:09 AM   #4
Deleted Account
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deleted Account

Very nice build. The wheels are totally subjective, but to my eyes the Competition wheels are a no brainer. I ordered mine with Competition wheels and did not have a second thought. With that said, you will be driving your car so go with the ones you prefer, which sound like double spoke.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2021, 10:30 AM   #5
milehighguy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatias03 View Post
Hey man,

Just took my delivery last week on almost the same exact build just different interior. I myself was on the fence between Silverstone and Aragon. I ended up going with Aragon for less maintenance reasons. Silverstone will look excellent with BHG but more maintenance required for sure. If you read around the forums a bunch of people have recommendations on products to use and cleaners in case of dye transfer. It's doable but at the end of the day if you plan on using the M5 as a DD, Silverstone might not be the best option because I think you'll see the wear after time.

Wheels: I ended up going the 20" forged set for the exact same reason and I think it looks great with BHG. So many aftermarket options. Don't go too crazy second guessing your build.
Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely try not to go go crazy! You liking the BHG exterior? Does it tend to look like a lighter grey in different lighting? I was hoping for it to look like a Nardo or Grigio Telesto but it looks a little darker. Would you agree?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 10:32 AM   #6
milehighguy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBob View Post
Very nice build. The wheels are totally subjective, but to my eyes the Competition wheels are a no brainer. I ordered mine with Competition wheels and did not have a second thought. With that said, you will be driving your car so go with the ones you prefer, which sound like double spoke.
Thanks for the response! I think the Comp wheels are a no brainer too, seeing that it's going on a comp. I think the hard part is that I haven't seen them in person.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #7
milehighguy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Silverstone: weekly wipe down, and vacuuming is all it needs. I have it in my F80. No harder to take care of than any other leather.

Wheels: get whatever you like from the factory, but if you aren't sold, there are a *shit ton* of aftermarket wheels available out there. Sell the stock wheels, and get something different. I'm going to spec the 20" double spoke bicolor wheels and sell them as soon as I take delivery to find some BBS or HREs. Even if I didn't, I actually prefer them to the Y spoke or the black wheels. Neither look good to me.

Cheers!
Ok good to hear on the interior. I am a bit OCD with my cars so I just need to stay on top of it with wipe downs, etc. I have a cabinet full of Adam's Polishes products but not a lot of their leather products. Sounds like I need to make a trip to their headquarters and stock up!

Regarding the wheels, I would absolutely love a set of Brixton Forged wheels, but would rather not have to deal with selling them once the lease is up. I guess it's always an option though. Thanks for responding. This is going to be the longest 3 months EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 12:46 PM   #8
BMA89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 CS

Quote:

Current Build:

Competition Package
Executive Package

Now on to my questions:

I've also ordered silverstone and was debating the same thing! From the feedback I've seen it seems with simple weekly wipe downs it's relatively easy to keep looking sharp. I also plan on ceramic coating the seats to make it much easier to maintain!

Congrats on the car!
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2021, 12:55 PM   #9
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Y spoke - Comp Wheels are forged and significant lighter. I'd stick with the comp wheels as personally I think they look much better anyway plus the unsprung weight I already mentioned is far less
      01-09-2021, 01:54 PM   #10
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Quote:

Cheers!
Ok good to hear on the interior. I am a bit OCD with my cars so I just need to stay on top of it with wipe downs, etc. I have a cabinet full of Adam's Polishes products but not a lot of their leather products. Sounds like I need to make a trip to their headquarters and stock up!

Regarding the wheels, I would absolutely love a set of Brixton Forged wheels, but would rather not have to deal with selling them once the lease is up. I guess it's always an option though. Thanks for responding. This is going to be the longest 3 months EVER!
My Silverstone leather is at 40k miles and looks the same as when new, save for some very small creases/wrinkles that you don't notice unless you're looking for them.

The good thing with wheels is they're easily swapped. Can always change your mind after delivery. I wouldn't sweat your choice. Selling them once the lease is up is not so bad, especially if they're in good shape. These forums are perfect for that, but I hear you.

Definitely a tough 3 months. Wait until it's on a boat in the Atlantic and you're tracking it hourly!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2021, 02:04 PM   #11
OttoM5
Rep
Drives: 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat

You’re going to check your bmwusa account 8 times a day, and check this forum 8 times a day too.

I was between this exact build above (minus driving assist) and what I went with donington/black.

Get the silverstone. A dealer had a brands/silverstone a few months ago and saw it in person. Works really well!

*make sure whichever build you pick, don’t second guess it. 3 months is a lot of time for you to start second guessing it. When you get your car, you’ll forget all the rest.
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2021, 02:17 PM   #12
milehighguy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoM5 View Post
You’re going to check your bmwusa account 8 times a day, and check this forum 8 times a day too.

I was between this exact build above (minus driving assist) and what I went with donington/black.

Get the silverstone. A dealer had a brands/silverstone a few months ago and saw it in person. Works really well!

*make sure whichever build you pick, don’t second guess it. 3 months is a lot of time for you to start second guessing it. When you get your car, you’ll forget all the rest.
Hahaha. Yeah, I am already scouring IG, TikTok, Twitter...you name it. Thanks for the advice about the interior. Exactly what I needed to hear!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 02:20 PM   #13
milehighguy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers!

My Silverstone leather is at 40k miles and looks the same as when new, save for some very small creases/wrinkles that you don't notice unless you're looking for them.

The good thing with wheels is they're easily swapped. Can always change your mind after delivery. I wouldn't sweat your choice. Selling them once the lease is up is not so bad, especially if they're in good shape. These forums are perfect for that, but I hear you.

Definitely a tough 3 months. Wait until it's on a boat in the Atlantic and you're tracking it hourly!
Agreed! When I built my F80 back in 2016 my car got stuck in the Panama Canal for like 6 days! Talk about nerve wracking. Ha! Thanks for responding. Feeling better and better about my build.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 02:47 PM   #14
MacOSR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 X5M, 18 M550, 21 M5C, 23 M8

I had Silverstone interior on an M3 that I had for a while. You will have to keep it wiped down at least weekly, at minimum, if wear bluejeans. It looks awesome but it's work. I'm probably going to get Silverstone again on a car but not for a daily driver. Something to keep in mind!

As far as wheels get what you love and what you like. That's all that matters
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2021, 06:55 PM   #15
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp, 2011 M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatias03 View Post
Hey man,

Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely try not to go go crazy! You liking the BHG exterior? Does it tend to look like a lighter grey in different lighting? I was hoping for it to look like a Nardo or Grigio Telesto but it looks a little darker. Would you agree?
Love the BHG exterior. Looks way better in person than photos. Honestly it's like a mixed grey of both Nardo and Grigio Telesto.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2021, 09:06 PM   #16
milehighguy
Private First Class
Rep

So after 5 weeks I finally got my allocation approved by BMW today! 3/9 is the scheduled production begin date with a completion date of 4/14. One question for the forum...how long I should expect delivery to take? I'm sure that's a loaded question, especially during these crazy times. Just curious what some of the other members have experienced recently. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I made some updates to my build from my original post. As of now it looks like this:

Brands Hatch Grey
20" M Y-spoke forged bi-color wheels
Silverstone Full Merino Leather
Aluminum dark carbon trim
Competition Package
Executive Package
Bowers & Wilkins
Red calipers
BMW M Performance Rear Spoiler Pro - Carbon Fiber

I have been going back and forth with adding the MPE. I'm actually a pretty big fan of how the stock exhaust sounds. But then again, I haven't heard MPE in person...

Let the waiting begin.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-15-2021, 09:12 PM   #17
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m5 comp

Quote:
So after 5 weeks I finally got my allocation approved by BMW today! 3/9 is the scheduled production begin date with a completion date of 4/14. One question for the forum...how long I should expect delivery to take? I'm sure that's a loaded question, especially during these crazy times. Just curious what some of the other members have experienced recently. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I made some updates to my build from my original post. As of now it looks like this:

Brands Hatch Grey
Competition Package
Executive Package
Bowers & Wilkins
Red calipers

I have been going back and forth with adding the MPE. I'm actually a pretty big fan of how the stock exhaust sounds. But then again, I haven't heard MPE in person...

Let the waiting begin.
It takes about 2 months from when your order is accepted (production #) to the car arriving at dealers on the east coast. West coast takes a few weeks longer for obvious reasons.

The pandemic didn't seem to take much of a toll on BMWs production times and the port installed options which I had a couple were done fairly quickly. My build arrived right around Christmas so I had to wait slightly longer but there aren't any major holidays upcoming so that's not something you should encounter.

BMW is among the best in providing updates to the buyer. The website is fairly up to date and you can always call the bmw customer service line for updates.

I wish I had done MPE, in retrospect I should have taken a couple options off and put MPE on especially with a lease but I'm content enough. Got to leave something to look forward to on the next one.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2021, 08:30 PM   #18
milehighguy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Brands Hatch Grey
Competition Package
Executive Package
Bowers & Wilkins
Red calipers

Let the waiting begin.
So my CA reached out today to inform me that I can't add the rear carbon pro spoiler without adding the carbon front splitter. The VIA system won't let him place the order with only the spoiler in the build. He even sent me a screenshot with the error messages. I have also seen a couple other members mention this exact same thing recently. Is this a new requirement?

Others have posted on here that they had their carbon pro spoilers installed at the port as part of their overall build . Did something change for 2021? I assume my only option is to purchase the spoiler from the dealership and have them install instead? I'm in the middle of trying to figure this out and would greatly appreciate feedback and guidance from you all. Thanks I'm advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 10:04 PM   #19
The5rivers
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M5C, 22 X3MC, 24 X7 40i

Quote:
So my CA reached out today to inform me that I can't add the rear carbon pro spoiler without adding the carbon front splitter. The VIA system won't let him place the order with only the spoiler in the build. He even sent me a screenshot with the error messages. I have also seen a couple other members mention this exact same thing recently. Is this a new requirement?

Others have posted on here that they had their carbon pro spoilers installed at the port as part of their overall build . Did something change for 2021? I assume my only option is to purchase the spoiler from the dealership and have them install instead? I'm in the middle of trying to figure this out and would greatly appreciate feedback and guidance from you all. Thanks I'm advance.
Yeah I’ve read different stories on whether you have to get the splitter if you’re getting the pro spoiler. Check this thread out: https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1535735

Hoping others can provide more info. You could also just order from dealer but you lose out on the residual value if port installed.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2021, 12:25 PM   #20
milehighguy
Private First Class
Rep

Well after several months of waiting, delivery time is getting closer! Tracking the build in "My Garage" has been fun and a little nerve wracking. Watching my car sit at Bremerhaven for 10 days with no movement or updates was driving me nuts as it is others right now.

I will say though, watching the ship go through multiple locks in the Panama Canal was really cool. Check it out!

I can't wait to finally take delivery of this beast.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Jamesmick131.00
      04-30-2021, 12:46 PM   #21
The5rivers
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M5C, 22 X3MC, 24 X7 40i

Quote:
Well after several months of waiting, delivery time is getting closer! Tracking the build in "My Garage" has been fun and a little nerve wracking. Watching my car sit at Bremerhaven for 10 days with no movement or updates was driving me nuts as it is others right now.

I will say though, watching the ship go through multiple locks in the Panama Canal was really cool. Check it out!

Dude good find on the canal pics. That's awesome.

Mine is currently going up and down the East Coast, should be in Charleston tomorrow (hopefully). Then another 5 week wait =(

Btw, did you add MPE or not?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 04:36 PM   #22
TAmes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Quote:

Are these actual pics of the ship that your car is on? How did you access these photos?
Appreciate 0