F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 Versus M3 Engine?
GetBMWParts

03-17-2017, 12:27 AM   #23
KD07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD07 View Post
Lol now was that comment really necessary? Did I not make sure to reiterate how unsure I was? And besides saying the s55 was an open deck design, what did I mention that was so crazy and ludicrous? Which has been clarified above the s55 is a closed deck, differentiating it immensely from the n55. On top of the complimentary components which I mentioned...

So Mr. Expert. Please respond with your expert information to follow your comment rather than leave your reply at that. Are you part of the solution or part of the problem?
definitely not meant to be personally insulting but if you honestly have no idea, why post a reply? What exactly do you want to know? Happy to provide input on the S55.
I did have an idea. Hence the words "I believe" and "I'm no expert" so take everything with a grain of salt. And besides my open deck comment on the s55, what warranted that response including "bad information"? Correct me where needed please...
      03-17-2017, 02:57 AM   #24
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

OP, MPPSK is a good option as myself and others have it and are enjoying the sound and extra power. As far as longevity of the powertrain goes the MPPSK was developed by BMW so it will not lessen the reliability any. Adding another tune on top of that will bring you to the fueling max of about 400-410hp so longevity may take a small hit but if you keep up with Maintenance as others have stated you should be fine. There are a few of us, myself included that are thinking about getting the Dinan Elite tune. waiting to see there results on a MPPSK car.
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 03:59 AM   #25
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

double post please delete.
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #26
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

yea add to the fact MPPSKs a flash and not a piggyback faking signals to the ECU.. safer
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 11:02 PM   #27
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
They are totally different engines and blocks. B58 has a closed deck design and I believe the s55 has an open deck design. I also believe the s55 is derived from the n55, but obviously with many upgrades such as cooling, 2 turbos, chains, belts, internals, etc.

My belief is that BMW is trying to use up the last of their inventory that was made for the n55/s55 engines and in the future will move forward with the b58 design in a large portion of their performance engines and M lines. But obviously with many other changes and upgrades, just based on the B-line engines. Could be wrong, just my opinion.

I'm no expert by any means, so don't quote me on any of this.
S55 is a closed deck design.
      03-17-2017, 11:10 PM   #28
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboM View Post
Quote:
They are totally different engines and blocks. B58 has a closed deck design and I believe the s55 has an open deck design. I also believe the s55 is derived from the n55, but obviously with many upgrades such as cooling, 2 turbos, chains, belts, internals, etc.

My belief is that BMW is trying to use up the last of their inventory that was made for the n55/s55 engines and in the future will move forward with the b58 design in a large portion of their performance engines and M lines. But obviously with many other changes and upgrades, just based on the B-line engines. Could be wrong, just my opinion.

I'm no expert by any means, so don't quote me on any of this.
Wow, this just goes to show you how bad information from the internet can be...
Ummmm yeah...and everyone is raving about the s55 reliability and not a single mention of failed crank hub failures where there are over dozens of cases. Not a catastrophic failure in all cases but non the less it's a very costly repair.

Perhaps the focus should be on how durable the over square, closed deck B58 with the timing chain moved to the rear of the motor purposely by BMW To address the engine harmonics and overhaul the Crank Hub issue. (Motor hasn't been out long enough for you guys I know, I know

I'd take the B58 all day long, S55 is a joke aside from the awesome F80/82 chassis. They failed on that design miserably imo. I can't wait to see what the S58 version will bring to the table.

It's no wonder a jb4 on map 2 with a meth kit walks an s55 all day...simply just a better advanced motor.
      03-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #29
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post
Ummmm yeah...and everyone is raving about the s55 reliability and not a single mention of failed crank hub failures where there are over dozens of cases. Not a catastrophic failure in all cases but non the less it's a very costly repair.

Perhaps the focus should be on how durable the over square, closed deck B58 with the timing chain moved to the rear of the motor purposely by BMW To address the engine harmonics and overhaul the Crank Hub issue. (Motor hasn't been out long enough for you guys I know, I know

I'd take the B58 all day long, S55 is a joke aside from the awesome F80/82 chassis. They failed on that design miserably imo. I can't wait to see what the S58 version will bring to the table.

It's no wonder a jb4 on map 2 with a meth kit walks an s55 all day...simply just a better advanced motor.
I'm pretty sure the B58 uses a timing belt now with the drives in the back of the motor.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 05:02 PM   #30
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post

I'm pretty sure the B58 uses a timing belt now with the drives in the back of the motor.
It uses a split timing chain not sure where a belt theory came from :
I haven't seen a timing belt on BMW's in a very very long time.
The only cars that use Kevlar belts are 4 cylinders. Even the BMW n20/n26 use chains.
Attached Images

03-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #31
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie340 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
its off the N55 but they filled it in and now its closed deck.
I believe its also air-water intercooler and many of the features are similar to the B58's but its got higher rated parts for sure.. to upgrade all the parts to match the M3 (if it can even be done and tuned properly together) would prob take more time and $$$ than it takes to just buy an M3.. beyond straight-line power M3 handles like a sportscar

what not enuf power for ya? for now I find stock torque more than adequate for dd in sport mode
I would prefer less turbo lag in the low rpms (I know ppl say its smooth but I feel a lot of engine hesitancy in first/second gear). Also, I FULLY LOADED (which includes track package) this bad boy to like a $64,000 MSRP. So I am not looking to do that in M3 form. Plus I want AWD for ski trips etc (hence no M3). Therefore, I am looking for ways to increase performance and get as close as possible.
B58 with meth a JB4 will gap an m3
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #32
PeterA90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Just to give you guys an idea. My car dynoed on mustang 420/420 awhp/awtq on pump gas and 50/50 mix of meth/water... B58 has great potential. There's awd n54's that are FBO running E, that don't even put that out. The problem with this motor is the fuel cap. Even with WMI I'm still able to hit it. WMI simply raises the threshold and bandaids the problem. From a tuning stand point s55 is better as of now to work with. Once the B58 gets more attention then minds will change. On top of that in order to push some serious power out of the S55 you need upgraded turbos told hold boost passed 5500 rpms and clutch packs to hold the power. Some guys tremble at 200 dollar catch cans... so right now your upwards of 8k with just clutch packs and turbos... don't forget about fueling which is another 500-1500 depending on the setup. Plus chargepipes and intake... see what I'm getting with at this. Let's not forget about the crank hub... which go to shit when your stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:46 AM   #33
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterA90 View Post
Just to give you guys an idea. My car dynoed on mustang 420/420 awhp/awtq on pump gas and 50/50 mix of meth/water... B58 has great potential. There's awd n54's that are FBO running E, that don't even put that out. The problem with this motor is the fuel cap. Even with WMI I'm still able to hit it. WMI simply raises the threshold and bandaids the problem. From a tuning stand point s55 is better as of now to work with. Once the B58 gets more attention then minds will change. On top of that in order to push some serious power out of the S55 you need upgraded turbos told hold boost passed 5500 rpms and clutch packs to hold the power. Some guys tremble at 200 dollar catch cans... so right now your upwards of 8k with just clutch packs and turbos... don't forget about fueling which is another 500-1500 depending on the setup. Plus chargepipes and intake... see what I'm getting with at this. Let's not forget about the crank hub... which go to shit when your stock.
Perfectly said and all 100% accurate. I believe as well once the b58 dme is cracked you will have people flocking to the platform including myself. Hell I want one now even.
Not knocking the m3/4 at all, such beautiful machines and great all around car but for me that s55 meh not so much.
      03-20-2017, 02:51 AM   #34
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
its off the N55 but they filled it in and now its closed deck.
I believe its also air-water intercooler and many of the features are similar to the B58's but its got higher rated parts for sure.. to upgrade all the parts to match the M3 (if it can even be done and tuned properly together) would prob take more time and $$$ than it takes to just buy an M3.. beyond straight-line power M3 handles like a sportscar

what not enuf power for ya? for now I find stock torque more than adequate for dd in sport mode
I would prefer less turbo lag in the low rpms (I know ppl say its smooth but I feel a lot of engine hesitancy in first/second gear). Also, I FULLY LOADED (which includes track package) this bad boy to like a $64,000 MSRP. So I am not looking to do that in M3 form. Plus I want AWD for ski trips etc (hence no M3). Therefore, I am looking for ways to increase performance and get as close as possible.
You think B58 is bad with turbo lag, drive an s55 powered car. It's nasty lag-o-licious.
      03-20-2017, 06:30 AM   #35
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
I was wondering if someone could tell me the real differences between the M3's engine and the B58?

Is it just a tune and a larger turbocharger? They both have the same 3.0L no?

I just want to know because I plan on getting the Dinan +MPPK over the next year or two and wondering if this is well within the engines range of power or if my engine/transmission is going to poop out on me 100,000 miles in because of this.

Thanks!
M series engines generally aren't "just a tune and larger turbo charger". There is a lot that goes into engineering the engines used in M cars for track duty cycle which isn't for your typical N54/N55/B58 series.

Quote:
S55 has 2 turbos

Bottom line short of it is the S55 going to have higher rated internal parts & surrounding systems to better cope with the heat and pressures involved with more HP & torque.
Many of B58/340's internals also have high ratings but not all & its the weaker point in the chain which fails eventually the system.. the M3 got a stronger chain overall built for it.
Cant expect to overstress the system and not have the reliability not take a hit longterm
+1.

S55: http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/09/25/meet-new-s55-engine/

N2 N55: http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/07/28/bm...ven-better-m2/

Quote:
Is there any way to fix this?/parts I could install to help prevent the wear? Also this whole time I thought my "twinscroll" was a twin turbo/two turbos
There's no cost effective way to upgrade engine internals.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #36
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
M series engines generally aren't "just a tune and larger turbo charger". There is a lot that goes into engineering the engines used in M cars for track duty cycle which isn't for your typical N54/N55/B58 series.

+1.

S55: http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/09/25/meet-new-s55-engine/

N2 N55: http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/07/28/bm...ven-better-m2/

There's no cost effective way to upgrade engine internals.
yea agreed even the B58 and its system components are mated properly as well and I'm sure people dont respect that they can throw things out of wack by arbitrarily throwing in an upgrade here and there.. I'd think B58 system would be optimized for low and mid rpm ranges for the street

regarding cost effectiveness..ie.. forged pistons are near $1000.. B58 would likely need those and toss in better rings and forged valves & better springs maybe suspension braces lsd etc installation and more we are starting to talk serious money
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #37
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
yea agreed even the B58 and its system components are mated properly as well and I'm sure people dont respect that they can throw things out of wack by arbitrarily throwing in an upgrade here and there.. I'd think B58 system would be optimized for low and mid rpm ranges for the street

regarding cost effectiveness..ie.. forged pistons are near $1000.. B58 would likely need those and toss in better rings and forged valves & better springs maybe suspension braces lsd etc installation and more we are starting to talk serious money
At that point, one should just buy a M2 or M3 and have a factory warranty with it...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #38
PeterA90
Private First Class
Rep

B58 has forged rods and forged crankshaft from factory. Regardless there's n54's that are open deck on stock internals pushing over 600whp...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #39
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Dinan and jb4 tunes deliver more power at least on paper for less $$. There have been reliability issues based on the forum however, and German cars aren't super reliable to begin with. MPPSK is backed by BMW and shouldn't give you any problems. I have the extended warranty on my car so I'd be curious to se how the mppsk and dinan warrantys apply in my case or If I can upgrade the warranty to match my upgraded factory warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #40
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterA90 View Post
B58 has forged rods and forged crankshaft from factory. Regardless there's n54's that are open deck on stock internals pushing over 600whp...
BMW isnt going to escape physics/engineering. There are different quality of forged rods and besides what about the pins & cap securing the rods? Forged crankshaft is good but where the assembly meets the heat/pressure square-on is the piston head and the rings. You can run parts above ratings nearterm but its high% to affect longterm wear/reliability.
Not saying they put the best forged parts on the S55 but in order to make the 5 YR warranty they must have chosen those to last at least for that warranty period or their out the money on repairs..
usually you design piece together parts to make the spec give it a tolerance and tune everything together and no more to save $$$ so a large majority of B58 system is pieced together with that spec in mind.. so you stress the entire system but upgrade only some of the parts and its likely to fail over time at the myriad of weak points you havent covered
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #41
PeterA90
Private First Class
Rep

If you're worried about the car breaking I'll simplify your headache. LEAVE it stock. This is a silly conversations. Nothing is unbreakable no matter how over engineered it is.
Appreciate 3
Jadar1752.50
Polo088161610.00
Roki187126.00
      03-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #42
BLACK HAWK DOWN
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16' AW 340i xDrive

Garage List
BMW would definitely have done extensive failure analysis on the B58 that would cover at least the HP/TRQ of the MPPSK and determined the likelihood of failures of multiple parts.
To save $$$, only the parts that showed high probability of failure would have been upgraded, upgraded only to have a higher level of survival at a HP/TRQ rating they would be comfortable with, hence maybe the fuel cap.
I doubt they will be catering to those who want 400HP/TRQ+ and still want warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:28 PM   #43
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybm View Post
BMW would definitely have done extensive failure analysis on the B58 that would cover at least the HP/TRQ of the MPPSK and determined the likelihood of failures of multiple parts.
To save $$$, only the parts that showed high probability of failure would have been upgraded, upgraded only to have a higher level of survival at a HP/TRQ rating they would be comfortable with, hence maybe the fuel cap.
I doubt they will be catering to those who want 400HP/TRQ+ and still want warranty.
They do. It's the M3. lol.
Appreciate 2
Kossos145.50
      03-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #44
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Joe View Post
B58 with meth a JB4 will gap an m3

I think it all comes down to what the OP wants to do with the car. If you are wanting a fast street car, its hard to beat a tuned 340. If you are going to track the car a decent amount, start with a M3.
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00