BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Michelins AS4 AllSeason Tire Review

05-12-2023, 09:05 AM   #1
M5KEITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Michelins AS4 AllSeason Tire Review

I decided to try Michelin AS4 tires on my M5 and have driven tires for 2,000 miles now. I live in Northeast and wanted just one set of tires.

This review will hoping give folks some insight vs dedicated summer tire.

Pros:
-Excellent grip off the line both dry and wet (no trade off to summers)
-Moderate cornering tires are fine
-Longer tire life 2x more or greater do to tread depth
-Price is less expensive than summer tires

Cons:
-High speed 100 mph car does not feel planted and stable like summer tires
-High speed braking from 100 mph to like 50 mph again tires don’t like quick braking as if M5 braking capabilities > tires can handle. I noticed this coming off highway to a off ramp and had to slow down quickly.
-Cornering is diminished vs summers car does not feel as relaxed driving aggressively
-Steering feel is numb and not as precise making M5 feel more pedestrian
-Extremely loud road noise to the point I should have return them

All experience was on the street. Recommendation would not to buy these tires!
I was totally surprised how it completely diminished driving experience and confidence while driving aggressively.

I wanted to share my experience.

Last edited by M5KEITH; 05-14-2023 at 07:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 09:17 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Last year, I put 275/285 Michelin PS AS4 on my stock 20” wheels to run from late fall though early spring. I live in the Northeast as well and have put 2000 or more miles on them. I like them much more than the 19” 265 snow tires that I ran previously. I think they handle well, stop well and are not particularly noisy. Not quite as good as PS4, but not far off. I will put the summer wheels with the PS4 back on this weekend. Maybe fresh experience with the PS4 will make me feel differently. My summer 20” wheels do weigh about 1/3 less than my 20” stock wheels and they are also wider, and those factors do improve handling.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 09:25 AM   #3
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
I have a set of these ready to go for this fall. I've used the prior generations of the A/S4 on my CTS-V and you are correct that they are nowhere near as good as the summer tires. But they are way better than the summers when the temps are below 40 degrees.

I've already noticed that when braking from 50mph the brakes can already exceed the traction of the PZeros so it doesn't surprise me that they can overpower the all-seasons at any speed.

When my Pzeros are done I plan to get the Pilot Sport 4S to try those out. I loved them on my V. I do wonder though if the Pzero and Pilots are almost the same since they are both star BMW so they might have been spec'd with similar compounds.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 09:43 AM   #4
M5KEITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I had P Zeros on before night and day difference.
I drive aggressive and looking to hopefully return these tires for new set Michelin Summers.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 10:03 AM   #5
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
This car really needs 2 sets of wheels/tires (or a second car) if you live anywhere that gets cold. In my 2000 Cadillac STS and 2004 CTS-V I could get away with the Pilot Sport A/S year round. But starting with the 2009 CTS-V (and I would wager the E60 M5 generation) an all-season tire is just not enough for the power/brakes/cornering ability of the car.

A second set of wheels is nice too in that you never need to leave the car with a tire place...just drop the wheels off when you need new tires. And you have a full-size spare if you need it.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2023, 10:23 AM   #6
logicators
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5KEITH View Post
I had P Zeros on before night and day difference.
I drive aggressive and looking to hopefully return these tires for new set Michelin Summers.
I am also based in northeast, and my car came with PZeros as well (bought last November). I switched to PS4-AS early January, so followed a very similar journey. I concluded that these tires have different strengths and weaknesses (PS4-AS have much better overall grip, they warm up quicker and deliver a more comfortable driving experience, whereas PZeros handle better and deliver a sportier / more dynamic driving experience). I personally did not feel a huge difference at higher speeds or in braking capabilities but steering response is certainly better on PZeros in spirited driving situations

I decided to keep them both and switch back n forth bi-annually. I picked up another set of wheels (M8 813M from a local seller) and just switched back to the summer setup. When P Zeros wear out I plan on replacing them with summer PS4s.

If I am forced to pick one tire and use it around the year I will still pick PS4-AS without any hesitation.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 11:12 PM   #7
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

So I swapped my PS4 (stock size 20” over half used) wider lighter aftermarket summer wheels on in place of my PS AS4 (stock size 20” only 2k miles) winter stock wheels today. The first thing I notice was that the car was quieter. The second thing was the steering feeling was more direct — better handling.

While driving the PS4 AS4 I had no complaints. I thought they handled well. SS my first post above. But the OP is right — there is a big difference. Still, I think the all seasons are great for the cold end of fall and spring and, in some areas, winter (I ran them in northern New England and found them fine).
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2023, 08:57 PM   #8
M5KEITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Michelin honoree tire swap to OEM pilots. I got the new summer tires for the cost of the AS4s that I returned.

Night and day difference. I noticed immediately the difference in turn in and precision of the steering driving normal speeds.

They said after 30 days I can have the new 2,000 mile AS4 tires back.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 09:40 PM   #9
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Keep them for winter. I drove on them all last winter in New England.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 06:36 AM   #10
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Running seasonal here and couldn’t be happier:
OEM 706 AS4s 285/295 35s
Signature SV104s 21” PS4s 285/295 30s

The latter having much better handling but the former gets no complaints whatsoever for its purpose served! Now if I lived in SoCal or Michigan I likely would be going a different route respectively. Of course I also have an old 4wd truck for play and if it really gets rough (which is rare here) so there’s that.

Last edited by NCRob; 06-14-2023 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 0