BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    /rant - tired of crappy dealers ruining the BMW brand

05-23-2023, 08:52 AM   #1
MackSea70
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C, 2020 Tesla Y LR

/rant - tired of crappy dealers ruining the BMW brand

So last week my roof trim popped off for like the 5th time. I've tried numerous times to fix it myself, using 3m high strength auto trim tape, cleaning with alcohol, weighing it down over night while it sets, etc to no avail.

So I finally decide the heck w this, warranty time, I'm going to visit the dealer for my list of issues - roof trim, poor fitting seat covers, clunk in rear suspension. I try to book online with my dealer, no appointments with a loaner. So I book a "i'll wait" appointment out for a few weeks and in the comments note that i'd like a loaner.

Not 10 minutes later, phone call from their scheduler - you didn't buy here, no loaner.

My history. I've owned 6 BMWs, 4 of them M cars, 3 of them purchased thru said dealer. (current M5C not purchased thru them). My dad has purchased 2 BMWs because of me. My neighbors (yes plural) have purchased a total of 4 BMWs because of me.

I get that the dealer can set their own loaner policy. However, does lifetime value not have any meaning to them? According to my calculations, my lifetime value to BMW corporation is in excess of 7 figures. I'm still relatively young (50s), in my prime earning years and have a pattern of trading in and out of cars every two years or so. I've tried other brands (Porsche x2) and came back to BMW. By my estimates, I've probably got another 10-15 new car purchases left in me, all of which *could* be BMW.

I had to start brokering because their yahoo sales team flat out lies when it comes to discussions of money factor (again, with no consideration of lifetime value).

But, no sir, you didn't buy your extremely high spec M5C from us, yes sir, we're paid exactly the same to perform warranty service on it, so F off, we're not going to give you a loaner. This doesn't sit right with me.

I'm not naming them here - you guys are all smart and know of the large BMW dealers in the Orlando area.

If anyone has contact info for the GM at the north location, please DM it to me, I'd like to have this exact conversation - lifetime value with him. We're going to be in Orlando for probably 7-8 more years and if this is how service is going to be - I guess maybe I need to consider other brands that value me more as a long term customer.

/rant off.
2023 M5C (MBB, Tartufo, CCB, MPE, splitter, skirts, diffuser and pro spoiler), 2022 X3MC (gone), 2022 M5C (gone, not forgotten), 2020 992S (gone), 2018 M3C (should have never let it be gone), 2015 550i (gone), 2013 550i M-Sport (gone), 2010 Panamera (good riddance) (this list is getting entirely too long).
Appreciate 1
M5 London337.00
      05-23-2023, 09:53 AM   #2
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

What a terrible way to take care of a customer...

I hope you'll get all sorted out quickly with your issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 10:26 AM   #3
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSea70 View Post
So last week my roof trim popped off for like the 5th time. I've tried numerous times to fix it myself, using 3m high strength auto trim tape, cleaning with alcohol, weighing it down over night while it sets, etc to no avail.

So I finally decide the heck w this, warranty time, I'm going to visit the dealer for my list of issues - roof trim, poor fitting seat covers, clunk in rear suspension. I try to book online with my dealer, no appointments with a loaner. So I book a "i'll wait" appointment out for a few weeks and in the comments note that i'd like a loaner.

Not 10 minutes later, phone call from their scheduler - you didn't buy here, no loaner.

My history. I've owned 6 BMWs, 4 of them M cars, 3 of them purchased thru said dealer. (current M5C not purchased thru them). My dad has purchased 2 BMWs because of me. My neighbors (yes plural) have purchased a total of 4 BMWs because of me.

I get that the dealer can set their own loaner policy. However, does lifetime value not have any meaning to them? According to my calculations, my lifetime value to BMW corporation is in excess of 7 figures. I'm still relatively young (50s), in my prime earning years and have a pattern of trading in and out of cars every two years or so. I've tried other brands (Porsche x2) and came back to BMW. By my estimates, I've probably got another 10-15 new car purchases left in me, all of which *could* be BMW.

I had to start brokering because their yahoo sales team flat out lies when it comes to discussions of money factor (again, with no consideration of [...]
Sorry to hear this. I have never heard of a dealer not offering a loaner when conducting warranty service if the owner hasn’t purchased the car at the servicing dealership. The dealership makes the same money from BMW warranty service whether the car was purchased from them or not. Ideally to dealerships, their service departments are designed so that they cover all operational costs of the dealership, leaving leasing and sales as profit driver.

My current car was also purchased not from my dealership for reasons I won’t get into here. It’s been in for warranty issues a few times already, and I was provided a loaner every time (albeit with delayed appointments when they’re unavailable). My dealership is smart enough to know that I’ve acquired other cars from them and other marques purchased from their same ownership group of dealerships. They know my LCV is going to be high, even if this one specific car wasn’t acquired from them.

It’s disgusting to treat a customer the way they’ve treated you. This sounds like a classic tripping over dollars to pick up pennys.

I hope things get resolved for you soon.
      05-23-2023, 10:40 AM   #4
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Sorry to hear this OP
Part of my many duties in my line of work is fleet management.
I have a decent number (double digits) of BMWs on my fleet all acquired through whichever dealer in the UK was giving me the best deal at the time.

I send all of them for service and warranty work to the dealer located closest to HQ.
I have never purchased a car from this dealer but they will happily do all my warranty work for me and bend over backwards to give me a loaner.
They have even loaned me press cars that they were looking after for BMW when they have not been booked out to journalists.

I don't know what the rules are on your side of the pond, but over here if you buy for example an iPhone from anywhere, you can take it to any Apple store for warranty work.
Same goes for new cars. Doesn't matter which dealer you go to, they all have to do warranty work should the need arise.

I wouldn't write off the brand over this. Just the dealer you are using.
Sounds like they are being difficult for the sake of being difficult.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 11:20 AM   #5
CosmicCharlie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 comp, '24 X7 m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSea70 View Post

I had to start brokering because their yahoo sales team flat out lies when it comes to discussions of money factor (again, with no consideration of [...]
I know the dealer you are referring to… in fact, just yesterday I walked out of their Lakeland location when they offered me a mid $60k figure on my ‘21 m5 in perfect condition… they didn’t even look at the car! They are simply not serious about maintaining their enthusiast customer base. They seem to only want to deal with people who will pay too much for the base spec junk they order for the lots. If Tampa is worth the drive, I can PM you the sales manager’s info… they’re not especially awesome either, but the sales manager is a highly competent professional who will routinely come out of his office to work the specifics of a deal directly with a customer, and I respect/appreciate that.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 01:36 PM   #6
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Sounds like you were dealing with a low level jackass in the scheduling department, I'd drop by and speak with the service manager directly to arrange the appointment AND the loaner. Face to Face is far more powerful than using the 'on line' scheduling thing.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 01:49 PM   #7
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
Have your husband go with you next time j/k

but seriously, i hope it gets worked out and i have never had an issue getting a loaner from a dealer that i didn't buy from, but it does depend on priority since they only have so many cars per day/customer.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 04:58 PM   #8
MackSea70
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C, 2020 Tesla Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
Have your husband go with you next time j/k

but seriously, i hope it gets worked out and i have never had an issue getting a loaner from a dealer that i didn't buy from, but it does depend on priority since they only have so many cars per day/customer.
Well at least I’ve got more reason for this face to face sooner. Now I’ve got a really funky noise out of thr left front corner.

I’m totally good w loaner capacity issues I get these guys don’t carry the loner inventory from a few years back.

I’ve had this issue w this dealer group years ago and hoped we were past this. It’s incredibly frustrating
2023 M5C (MBB, Tartufo, CCB, MPE, splitter, skirts, diffuser and pro spoiler), 2022 X3MC (gone), 2022 M5C (gone, not forgotten), 2020 992S (gone), 2018 M3C (should have never let it be gone), 2015 550i (gone), 2013 550i M-Sport (gone), 2010 Panamera (good riddance) (this list is getting entirely too long).
Appreciate 0