BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    !! 2018 BMW M5 Price (U.S.) starts at $102,600 and USA Military Price Released !!

11-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #67
DrunkTyrion
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Nah OP said it's only available to active duty OCONUS with USAA. Sadly vets don't get this discount. Then again considering I'm driving a M4 I think I "made it" for a vet lol
      11-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #68
DrunkTyrion
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackaleyess View Post
A military in the US can actually afford a M5... damned son.. a military in my country can only buy a scooter. Salute u guys. I can see military held up high in the state side. Over here, military is just a tool for politician to bully unarmed citizen that opposed to the ruling party.

We really don't pay our guys *that* well.

It's great that the OP can afford an M5 but the typical person in the US military is nowhere near that pay level.
US Military Officers with many years in, say about over 12 years, make very very good money, and can easily afford a $130k BMW M5. But they are very few. Most US Military have wives and kids they must take care of and don't really have the extra cash to buy a nice car.

But don't forget about US Diplomats too. A seasoned Diplomat at say the GS-14 pay scale or above also make excellent money. Diplomats also get a lot of Cost of Living adjustments for whatever country their in. But unless your a Diplomat who happens to be stationed in a nice Westernized 1st world country, you won't be really buying a new M5. Diplomats in Rwanda for example, won't be getting an M5 to drive around in that country. Although some Diplomats do indeed buy a car with their discount and then ship it back to the States to drive later when they get back, which I think doesn't make much sense either because as a career Diplomat your only option of going back to the US is going back to Washington DC which is a horrible area for owning any nice car.
Ive seen embassy personal driving X5M when I was in Paris. Pretty sure it was fitted to be a custom security vehicle.
      11-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #69
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer View Post
I'm going to pass on replacing my F10 M5 with a new one. Nothing too exciting except for AWD. Seems like a pretty lazy job from BMW by not replacing the engine. 6 figure starting price is not a killer and may be justifiable with the inclusion of AWD but the fact they just didn't do a new engine seems like the intent is not to keep these cars cutting edge but a cash cow for the mothership....
Good man. Better to buy an F90 used in the future if we really want one. For $150k, there's a lot better cars out there to be had. I wonder how much used 2017 NSX's are going for these days?
Actually for $150k, you could even pick up a brand new 2018 Aston Vantage which starts production in Spring of 2018. The new Vantage was just released today and starts at exactly $150k. 7spd manual transmission coming and is almost as light as a 911.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #70
DrunkTyrion
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm going to pass on replacing my F10 M5 with a new one. Nothing too exciting except for AWD. Seems like a pretty lazy job from BMW by not replacing the engine. 6 figure starting price is not a killer and may be justifiable with the inclusion of AWD but the fact they just didn't do a new engine seems like the intent is not to keep these cars cutting edge but a cash cow for the mothership....
Good man. Better to buy an F90 used in the future if we really want one. For $150k, there's a lot better cars out there to be had. I wonder how much used 2017 NSX's are going for these days?
Actually for $150k, you could even pick up a brand new 2018 Aston Vantage which starts production in Spring of 2018. The new Vantage was just released today and starts at exactly $150k. 7spd manual transmission coming and is almost as light as a 911.
That looks really nice
      11-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #71
ReeferCheefer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i,335i,335xi,328dx, 535i

Garage List
2008 E90 Montego  [0.00]
2022 s1000rr  [0.00]
2016 S1000RR  [0.00]
2011 535i xdrive  [0.00]
Im jelly, still waiting for the m3/4 to hit 35k
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #72
eclipxe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
You're comparing a fully loaded M5 with all options, to a car that *starts* at $150k. Come on man, I know you have a thing against the new M5, but the car starts at $102K, not $150K. The Aston Martin is $50k more expensive.

Last edited by eclipxe; 11-21-2017 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
Simple1133.50
      11-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #73
DenverF10M5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 CP

Quote:
You can get yourself into a new NSX for $124,000 with these crazy deals this month.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #74
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverF10M5 View Post
Quote:
You can get yourself into a new NSX for $124,000 with these crazy deals this month.
Wow! Sold!

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #75
DenverF10M5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 CP

Quote:
Wow! Sold!
Not bad for a $1,500 a month lease with 12k miles a year.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #76
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Quote:
A friend told me that a dealer in Jersey has had a NSX fully equipped for $206,000 and they sold it for $150,000.

Thats sad....NSX guys waited for like 10 years for the car to finally come out and paid over sticker. 1 year later, no one cares.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #77
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87 View Post
Quote:
A friend told me that a dealer in Jersey has had a NSX fully equipped for $206,000 and they sold it for $150,000.

Thats sad....NSX guys waited for like 10 years for the car to finally come out and paid over sticker. 1 year later, no one cares.
I only mentioned the NSX because I saw one on Sunday and wondered what the market is like on them. Good to know they are becoming more affordable.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #78
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Quote:
I only mentioned the NSX because I saw one on Sunday and wondered what the market is like on them. Good to know they are becoming more affordable.
They're almost as quiet as a Tesla. That doesn't sit well with me. Although I did hear one with a fabspeed exhaust and you heard massive turbo whistle.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #79
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Quote:
Oh a company trying to make money instead of losing it. What a concept. Shame on capitalism. Shame on bmw. Shame on everyone.
Shame on a company that loses sight of why it was making money in the first place. As I said, I don't mind paying six figures for M5 but the fact that this is such a lazy attempt on a new car, shame on BMW. Frankly, MB cars seem a lot more exciting now. Certainly that's a brand not scared of venturing into crazy.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 09:14 PM   #80
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

With one fell swoop I feel tesla has made my f10 and the upcoming f90 absolete. in fact anything that burns fuel and waste time shifting gears. The performance numbers on that roadster is just jawdropping. After plaid I guess they will have to jump to star trek and borrow warp.
      11-22-2017, 06:56 AM   #81
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Totally. Its one of the most beautiful cars. I would much rather drop money on that (if I had a second parking spot!) than the old new M5. That being said, besides the M2, I'm not sure there is any BMW I would want to buy right now!
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #82
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

Quote:
Totally. Its one of the most beautiful cars. I would much rather drop money on that (if I had a second parking spot!) than the old new M5. That being said, besides the M2, I'm not sure there is any BMW I would want to buy right now!
^^^ this!

I’ve been entertaining a switch as well but there isn’t a current bmw out there now or in the future that is worth the thought. I would love the awd aspect living in NY but really, fuck it. I haven’t had awd for over 7 yrs now and my ‘16 M5 looks great as is (to me anyway).

The E63S has potential. After that, it’s only up in the P car or Bentley area which the price points get ugly real fast. After all, need some money for a bottle of green spot once in a while... sheeesh
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #83
M2DUSA
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Crazy how the Bowers and Wilkins is cheaper than the Bang and Olufsen.
I find that crazy myself! Love B&W speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #84
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2DUSA View Post
Quote:
Crazy how the Bowers and Wilkins is cheaper than the Bang and Olufsen.
I find that crazy myself! Love B&W speakers
I think B&W sound better than the B&O but the B&O physical design looks better to me than the B&W. Although I am sure no ones B&W will experience the rattling we all had with the B&O. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 02:39 PM   #85
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Shame on a company that loses sight of why it was making money in the first place. As I said, I don't mind paying six figures for M5 but the fact that this is such a lazy attempt on a new car, shame on BMW. Frankly, MB cars seem a lot more exciting now. Certainly that's a brand not scared of venturing into crazy.
Here's the sad part. I am beginning to believe that BMW M was right to not develop a new engine for a new M5. I think we are approaching a plateau of the limits of performance from the traditional point of view we have always known. Tesla is a company that may not sell many cars yet, but they have definitely disrupted everything. From BMW's point of view, why spend millions to develop something all new, when it could be obsolete in less time than the tradition model cycle for them? As such, I think we could be seeing Tesla like performance from the new BMW i5 slated to come out soon, perhaps even on par with the M5? It's obviously not about building the best M5 with the purist steering feel, the best handling, the best induction sound or exhaust note, or the best driving experience anymore, M Division is now competing directly with electricity and unfortunately for gearheads, electricity will win every time in terms of normal driving regimes that every driver experiences on a day to day basis, such as 0-60 and stop light to stop light. I've ridden in a P100D with Ludicrous Mode turned on, and I got out of the car feeling like the car was just cheating and defying physics. It's still not my cup of tea, those Teslas, but I can see how for the average person who has never owned a V10 engine with a race exhaust on it, how the performance of a electric vehicle is just simply fantastic for them. At least the new F90 M5 now has a chance against those Teslas with it's AWD on the street, but the M5 will still destroy any Tesla on a real racetrack like Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. So this is the best reason to buy an F90 M5 really, for this kind of money, if we can take it to the racetrack it will be worth every penny, if not and pure performance is all one cares about on a daily basis, then a Tesla is the way to go. I also like to use run-on sentences a lot. I do fear that one day, the M5 will no longer be relevant, profitable, or will even go full electric. For now the F90 M5 is probably just biding time for itself, until M decides to go with an all new turbocharged engine combined with a hybrid electric drivetrain or something else. It has also been confirmed that the next generation Subaru WRX is getting a hybrid electric/turbo engine drivetrain. Mercedes is developing this too with their new AMG 53 line coming out as well. This technology is starting to trickle down from the LaFerrari, 918 Spyder, and P1 to an affordable performance car.

I personally would like to see the next M5 go with a hybrid electric drivetrain that combines 2 electric motors with a 2kWh battery and an all new small naturally aspirated V8 or V10 engine. With such a drive train, they might even be able to incorporate a KERS like system that can provide a burst of speed from the electric motors on demand. Plus the NA engine would make M's sound great again, but could also be developed in a way to be both sporty and fuel efficient. We can always dream can't we?

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #86
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I personally feel the best two BMW's coming out soon will be the M340i and the ///M8 Coupe. I still feel like the M2 is not a full-fledged M car. But that's just me.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #87
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Quote:
Quote:
Here's the sad part. I am beginning to believe that BMW M was right to not develop a new engine for a new M5. I think we are approaching a plateau of the limits of performance from the traditional point of view we have always known. Tesla is a company that may not sell many cars yet, but they have definitely disrupted everything. From BMW's point of view, why spend millions to develop something all new, when it could be obsolete in less time than the tradition model cycle for them? As such, I think we could be seeing Tesla like performance from the new BMW i5 slated to come out soon, perhaps even on par with the M5? It's obviously not about building the best M5 with the purist steering feel, the best handling, the best induction sound or exhaust note, or the best driving experience anymore, M Division is now competing directly with electricity and unfortunately for gearheads, electricity will win every time in terms of normal driving regimes that every driver experiences on a day to day basis, such as 0-60 and stop light to stop light. I've ridden in a P100D with Ludicrous Mode turned on, and I got out of the car feeling like the car was just cheating and defying physics. It's still not my cup of tea, those Teslas, but I can see how for the average person who has never owned a V10 engine with a race exhaust on it, how the performance of a electric vehicle is just simply fantastic for them. At least the new F90 M5 now has a chance against those Teslas with it's AWD on the street, but the M5 will still destroy any Tesla on a real racetrack like Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. So this is the best reason to buy an F90 M5 really, for this kind of money, if we can take it to the racetrack it will be worth every penny, if not and pure performance is all one cares about on a daily basis, then a Tesla is the way to go. I also like to use run-on sentences a lot. I do fear that one day, the M5 will no longer be relevant, profitable, or will even go full electric. For now the F90 M5 is probably just biding time for itself, until M decides to go with an all new turbocharged engine combined with a hybrid electric drivetrain or something else. It has also been confirmed that the next generation Subaru WRX is getting a hybrid electric/turbo engine drivetrain. Mercedes is developing this too with their new AMG 53 line coming out as well. This technology is starting to trickle down from the LaFerrari, 918 Spyder, and P1 to an affordable performance car.

I personally would like to see the next M5 go with a hybrid electric drivetrain that combines 2 electric motors with a 2kWh battery and an all new small naturally aspirated V8 or V10 engine. With such a drive train, they might even be able to incorporate a KERS like system that can provide a burst of speed from the electric motors on demand. Plus the NA engine would make M's sound great again, but could also be developed in a way to be both sporty and fuel efficient. We can always dream can't we?
For me ill just jump to the seemingly inevitable conclusion. give me an all electric m5 with no hybrid compromises that retains the suspension and track performance and does 500 miles on a full charge and 10 sec on the 1/4 mile.

also give me a selection of fake engine sounds in the cabin to wean me off just like a nicotine patch.
      11-22-2017, 07:08 PM   #88
frankchn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Unlikely that BMW will ever develop another new NA engine. The efficiencies you get from turbocharging are just too good to pass up in light of ever-stricter emissions and mpg standards.

I think the the 2024 M5 will be similar to the current generation Porsche Panamera Turbo S e-Hybrid (modulo better batteries, electric motors, etc...), and the 2031 M5 will be all electric.
Appreciate 0