BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    New Drag Race F90 M5 vs E63S W213

04-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #89
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
No the M5 interior is weak and the design and geometry look like a 3 series. The screen and over all concept follow the same design. Also why would I need make myself feel better? I had multiple opportunities to pick up an M5(and still could as they are not flying off showroom floors). I just find the car and interior very weak with nothing that screams special to me. When your master BMW tech of 12 years (and bmw fanboy) messages you pictures of the car and how it looks a boring and feels like the inside of a 3 series and to get the AMG. That is saying something. After driving both he is 100% correct. Plus the performance of both is pretty much on the same level. Although the Mercedes 9 speed transmission with clutch plates vs BMWs zf 8 with a torque converter(the same auto in all other BMWs) I find the Mercedes to shift and downshift a lot smoother.

This doesn't look like 100k cars interior to me.
From a design language perspective I get what Tony is saying and I completely agree with him but I feel I can explain it a little more.

If one really understands the fundamental design language of the interior of the F90 M5, you will recognize that it has the exact same layout as many other BMW's that we've been familiar with these past 7 years or so. The F30 was a BMW that really set the design language for BMW's for years to come. There are two things about the F30 design standout which has carried over to so many other models since. One is the floating iDrive screen and the other is the headlights touching the kidney grilles. The G30/F90 will be last BMW to get this design language (sort of, as I think the new G20 will continue to get headlights that touch the kidney grilles), but if we take a look at the upcoming 8-Series/M8 that car is going to look completely different than the F90 M5. I personally believe that BMW had a chance to really move forward with the design of the G30/F90 5-Series but they chose not to in favor of the 8-Series, where that model will now define BMW's future design direction.

With that said, I think it's a shame, the G30/F90 could have been something truly innovative, just like the F10 was over the E60, but they decided to play it safe and easy. I have always been a BMW 5-Series fan, but for this G30/F90 generation, I find myself feeling absolutely uninspired. I feel its the most disappointing re-design to come from BMW since, well since, since ever, I think. I even think the G12 was a huge change in design from the F01, although I know many people that don't like the G12. Sure some of the materials have changed and the quality is improved in the G30/F90, but there's really nothing exciting about the interior of the new M5, or at least nothing that I haven't seen before design wise. There's a lot of small decisions that bother me about the F90 M5 too, like how the F90 M5 uses the exact same lower center console design as the 530i. There's really no difference in design there now, only that for the M5 they added some extra buttons for the exhaust valves and such. This to me is incredibly lazy.

Another part about the F90 M5 in particular that bothers me is the lack of new innovative optional equipment.

Take the E60 M5 compared to the F10 M5 for example. New options that the F10 M5 got which were never before available on the E60 M5 included:

- Drivers Assistance Package: Lane Departure Warning, Collision Warning, Blind Spot Monitoring, Speed Limit Info
- Carbon Ceramic Brakes
- Rear Seat Entertainment
- Night Vision
- Premium Sound System Upgrade
- Executive Package with: (New Features) Seat Massage function, 4-Zone Climate Control
- Competition Package

On the F90 M5 versus the F10 M5 (new options) we now get:

- Drivers Assistance Package +: Active Lane Keep Assistant, Evasion Aid, Active Cruise Control, Cross Traffic Alert Front and Rear
- Executive Package with: (New Features) Wireless Phone Charging and Wifi-Hotspot, Surround View with 3D View, and Seat Massage function with Back Massage
- M Drivers Package with Speed Limiter increase

To me the F10 M5 had far more new options over the E60 M5 than the F90 M5 has over the F10 M5. This is disappointing to me and the options that are new for the F90 aren't exactly huge either. The F10 M5 getting an all new incredible sound system option, or Carbon Brakes, or Competition Package are gigantic compared to the F90 now getting seats that also massage your back or wireless phone charging. And let's not forget that the F90 no longer comes with folding seat headrests or true Full Leather that covers the lower half of the doors and center console with the $3,500 Full Leather option.

I also personally feel that the interior design of the new G20 3-Series will be a real change of direction. If the new X3 and X4 are anything to go by, then I am very hopeful for the G20. As for the M8 Coupe and M8 Gran Coupe, I think there are going to be many F90 M5 owners who wish they waited, because like I said, it's just going to be so completely different and innovative. And so far it looks like both the G20 and the M8 are not really going to get the floating iDrive design anymore either, I can't wait to see them both unveiled soon.

Last edited by RPiM5; 04-04-2018 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 2
josec704051.00
      04-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #90
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Yeah of course it's personal preference. It just doesn't look like BMW didn't put much effort into the design. Looks like all other BMWs to me.
I think the M5 interior can certainly be improved and it does look a bit dated. However, I hated the E63s interior. It is too cute and looks like it's going to a fashion show. The interior and exterior both look too feminine imo, but yes it is all personal preference.

For me I like Audi's new interior a lot, which surpass both BMW and Merc by a mile.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #91
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by neohh View Post
Quote:
Yeah of course it's personal preference. It just doesn't look like BMW didn't put much effort into the design. Looks like all other BMWs to me.
I think the M5 interior can certainly be improved and it does look a bit dated. However, I hated the E63s interior. It is too cute and looks like it's going to a fashion show. The interior and exterior both look too feminine imo, but yes it is all personal preference.

For me I like Audi's new interior a lot, which surpass both BMW and Merc by a mile.
If the e63s is Spec'd properly with the performer seats it looks very hard not feminine imo. The same with the exterior and addition of the carbon packs and night package. BMW also clearly copied the e63s hood.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #92
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If the e63s is Spec'd properly with the performer seats it looks very hard. The same with the exterior and addition of the carbon packs and night package.
I just can't stand the circular vents and the rear of e63s, but to each of its own.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #93
F85FTW
Private
Rep
Drives: x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post
Same thing's happening over at Mercedes. IMO, there's a big difference in interior between 3 series and the M5.
Yes I don’t think the m5 is similar to the current 3 series but the m5 is very similar to the new x3 m40i which will also be what the new 3 series will look like inside. It’s bound to happen they can’t design bespoke interiors for every class so they use a “base design” and make small tweaks off that but Mercedes and Audi do the same. I just happen to think the “base” mercedes design is fresher and more modern vs the classic Bmw base but can understand if someone else preferred the simpler classic Bmw design. The only clear advantage I think the amg has interior wise is the performance seats those seats are just

Last edited by F85FTW; 04-04-2018 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 02:43 PM   #94
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Quote:
No the M5 interior is weak and the design and geometry look like a 3 series. The screen and over all concept follow the same design. Also why would I need make myself feel better? I had multiple opportunities to pick up an M5(and still could as they are not flying off showroom floors). I just find the car and interior very weak with nothing that screams special to me. When your master BMW tech of 12 years (and bmw fanboy) messages you pictures of the car and how it looks a boring and feels like the inside of a 3 series and to get the AMG. That is saying something. After driving both he is 100% correct. Plus the performance of both is pretty much on the same level. Although the Mercedes 9 speed transmission with clutch plates vs BMWs zf 8 with a torque converter(the same auto in all other BMWs) I find the Mercedes to shift and downshift a lot smoother.

From a design language perspective I get what Tony is saying and I completely agree with him but I feel I can explain it a little more.

If one really understands the fundamental design language of the interior of the F90 M5, you will recognize that it has the exact same layout as many other BMW's that we've been familiar with these past 7 years or so. The F30 was a BMW that really set the design language for BMW's for years to come. There are two things about the F30 design standout which has carried over to so many other models since. One is the floating iDrive screen and the other is the headlights touching the kidney grilles. The G30/F90 will be last BMW to get this design language (sort of, as I think the new G20 will continue to get headlights that touch the kidney grilles), but if we take a look at the upcoming 8-Series/M8 that car is going to look completely different than the F90 M5. I personally believe that BMW had a chance to really move forward with the design of the G30/F90 5-Series but they chose not to in favor of the 8-Series, where that model will now define BMW's future design direction.

With that said, I think it's a shame, the G30/F90 could have been something truly innovative, just like the F10 was over the E60, but they decided to play it safe and easy. I have always been a BMW 5-Series fan, but for this G30/F90 generation, I find myself feeling absolutely uninspired. I feel its the most disappointing re-design to come from BMW since, well since, since ever, I think. I even think the G12 was a huge change in design from the F01, although I know many people that don't like the G12. Sure some of the materials have changed and the quality is improved in the G30/F90, but there's really nothing exciting about the interior of the new M5, or at least nothing that I haven't seen before design wise. There's a lot of small decisions that bother me about the F90 M5 too, like how the F90 M5 uses the exact same lower center console design as the 530i. There's really no difference in design there now, only that for the M5 they added some extra buttons for the exhaust valves and such. This to me is incredibly lazy.

Another part about the F90 M5 in particular that bothers me is the lack of new innovative optional equipment.

Take the E60 M5 compared to the F10 M5 for example. New options that the F10 M5 got which were never before available on the E60 M5 included:

- Drivers Assistance Package: Lane Departure Warning, Collision Warning, Blind Spot Monitoring, Speed Limit Info
- Carbon Ceramic Brakes
- Night Vision
- Executive Package with: (New Features) Seat Massage function, 4-Zone Climate Control
- Competition Package

- Drivers Assistance Package +: Active Lane Keep Assistant, Evasion Aid, Active Cruise Control, Cross Traffic Alert Front and Rear
- Executive Package with: (New Features) Wireless Phone Charging and Wifi-Hotspot, Surround View with 3D View, and Seat Massage function with Back Massage

To me the F10 M5 had far more new options over the E60 M5 than the F90 M5 has over the F10 M5. This is disappointing to me and the options that are new for the F90 aren't exactly huge either. The F10 M5 getting an all new incredible sound system option, or Carbon Brakes, or Competition Package are gigantic compared to the F90 now getting seats that also massage your back or wireless phone charging. And let's not forget that the F90 no longer comes with folding seat headrests or true Full Leather that covers the lower half of the doors and center console with the $3,500 Full Leather option.

I also personally feel that the interior design of the new G20 3-Series will be a real change of direction. If the new X3 and X4 are anything to go by, then I am very hopeful for the G20. As for the M8 Coupe and M8 Gran Coupe, I think there are going to be many F90 M5 owners who wish they waited, because like I said, it's just going to be so completely different and innovative. And so far it looks like both the G20 and the M8 are not really going to get the floating iDrive design anymore either, I can't wait to see them both unveiled soon.
Yes you nailed it. I went and looked at the f90 multiple times before canceling the order. I couldn't get excited about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #95
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I like them both and as previously said, looks are subjective. But I will say both companies follow family design themes inside and out, throughout the lineup and over the years. IMO, MB has landed in a place (currently) where I have trouble telling the various classes apart from a quick glance. That's not to say they're not attractive, just very similar.

Tony: Enjoy your new car.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #96
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- Carbon Ceramic Brakes
- Night Vision
- Competition Package

Yes you nailed it. I went and looked at the f90 multiple times before canceling the order. I couldn't get excited about it.
I did exactly the opposite. go figure.
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 04:16 PM   #97
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
I like them both and as previously said, looks are subjective. But I will say both companies follow family design themes inside and out, throughout the lineup and over the years. IMO, MB has landed in a place (currently) where I have trouble telling the various classes apart from a quick glance. That's not to say they're not attractive, just very similar.

Tony: Enjoy your new car.
Agree 100%, always have a hard time distinguish between this generation's E and C class. AMG or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #98
drewzMMM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Future M5 F90 Owner

Lots of back and forth here, but everyone has to admit that the E63S stock exhaust sounds one million times better than the M5 stock or M-Sport exhaust!

That, plus the AMGs face-melting torque at the low end will always make me love that car.

Still, my preference is the M5. No other way to explain it.
*R.I.P.*
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 09:23 PM   #99
josec70
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22' Individual Chalk M5C

Quote:
Quote:

- Carbon Ceramic Brakes
- Night Vision
- Competition Package

Man, I completely agree with you that it really feels like an uninspiring LCI of the F10 M5 (except for the AWD).

With that said, I like the F90 M5 more than the E63S and the new RS7 won't be out for a while so, with my lease on the F10 M5 ending in 4 months, I'm going to go with the F90 M5.

While it doesn't necessarily inspire me the way the F10 M5 did, it's the best choice for me at the moment.

I recently drove the E63S and it's a beast but I just don't love the exterior design of the car. I've owned a ton of ///M's so I'm probably a little biased in this regard.

I owned an E60 M5 and two F10 M5's and agree the advancement and innovation in the F10 M5 platform was insane.
GONE: 13' F10 M5|SG|BLACK|AKRA|KW|IND
LONG GONE: 09' E60 M5|02' E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 09:30 PM   #100
elitex
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

- Carbon Ceramic Brakes
- Night Vision
- Competition Package

Just to clarify. Center console is leather. Two tone but leather. Yes the bottom part of the doors are no longer leather.
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #101
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Ah....subjectivity. Where would we be without it....
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 09:55 PM   #102
elitex
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country F90 View Post
Ah....subjectivity. Where would we be without it....
Agreed. I do think the new A6 looked amazing inside out. Only if they would bring RS6 sedan here....
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2018, 10:54 PM   #103
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

Quote:
If the e63s is Spec'd properly with the performer seats it looks very hard not feminine imo. The same with the exterior and addition of the carbon packs and night package. BMW also clearly copied the e63s hood.
They both look very good
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 11:42 PM   #104
BMWSeven
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: BMW E66

They are both blistering fast...I'd be happy with either one - but my heart beats a little faster for BMWs
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 01:49 AM   #105
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Not bad
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 02:00 AM   #106
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
Its obvious the M5 got the jump. Like I said, its gonna come down to whoever gets the jump first.
Regardless it's Stupid Fast.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 02:57 AM   #107
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by neohh View Post

Really? So yeah for sure everyone's taste is different. For me Audi's interior is the worst.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 06:40 AM   #108
itachi_d
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
What was the octane?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 06:54 AM   #109
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Really? So yeah for sure everyone's taste is different. For me Audi's interior is the worst.
Not sure if you seen the new A7, I think it's amazing.

But yes looks can be very subjective.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #110
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
I think you’re the one who’s not getting it. The 5 series has always been very conservative in design, inside and out. Look at the evolution from E28 though E39, you can clearly see the family resemblance. The 5 was always supposed to be the classic pinstripe option of the time, with excellent dynamics and a super solid interior that ages well and doesn’t scream “look at me”.

The only time BMW went all creative on the 5 series was with the E60, and they were positively lambasted for it, crucified everywhere. And that despite the superb driving dynamics of the car.

So of course with the next generation(s) they went back to their classic design language and now some people are complaining about it. That’s fine, they may lose the fashion crowd and keep the brand long term enthusiasts, a valid choice for them.

Meanwhile Mercedes has long decided to throw caution to the wind and drastically changed their designs, inside and out, with each generation. I’m not sure what that did to their sales, maybe it was a good move. But where older 5 series are now considered classics of the genre, nobody loves older E classes (just the really old ones before they started experimenting).

I’m a 3 series guy, mostly. So yes I would welcome a more daring design next time around, despite the fact that I like my M3 very much. But if I were to buy in the next segment, it would be a 5 series because of the understated, classic look and excellent driving dynamics. The E class looks too effete to me these days, just not a good vibe for an executive sedan. Personal preference and all that.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
Bönz183.50