BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M Driver's Program Experience

06-30-2020, 04:50 PM   #1
MXNSITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C, 2019 i3 REX, 2010 Z4

Yesterday, I spent the day at the M Driver's Program in Thermal, CA. For the few people that may not know what that is, it's a one day course (experience) that either comes with the purchase of your car as an add-on (along with increased top speed out of the factory) or as a single purchase separately. In my case, I purchased the course with my CCA discount after the fact, planning to attend with a coworker who had it as an add-on with his M2 Comp. We were pretty lucky in that we were the only two in the class. His M2 Comp on the left (@404speed) and my M5 Comp on the right (stealth_M5). Excuse all the pics in this post, we only had our cell phones on the track, understandably.

Name:  IMG_4508.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  513.3 KB

We started the day with a one hour in class course, covering the basics. The instruction went into some depth on seat position and posture, hand position, breaking, etc. It was informative enough to be interesting, but not so much that we lost interest. I could see however if you had done any reading prior, this could be a bore. In our case, we were basically getting to know our instructor in this period and he was getting to know us. With such a small group, that was important.

Name:  IMG_1252.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  140.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1750.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  408.0 KB

Then we jumped into an M5, we each had our own and the instructor jumped into the M5 he used most of the day. This was my first time doing anything like this so I was pretty excited to say the least. There were radios in each car in the door pocket next to our left leg for the instructor to transmit and for us to ask questions if needed. We began with a slalom course, very slow at first to get used to holding the wheel at 9 and 3 (not 10 and 2) and becoming accustomed to hand over hand. Then we picked up speed, then the instructor said to go as fast as we could... As fast as we could... My co-worker knocked over a few of the cones, at which point the instructor started to poke fun at him, "What did those cones do to you?"

Name:  IMG_1238.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  477.0 KB

We then ventured over to the slick pad. The instructor began by showing and explaining to us how to initiate a drift, and then how to maintain it. With DSC turned off, engine set to Spot Plus, we started by bringing the car to 15mph, both on the pad at the same time, one on each side of the pad. We then hit the accelerator aggressively and the car immediately began to drift to the right. At first we were asked to recover the slide, which was pretty easy and instinctual. We did about three of those and then were asked to maintain it. That was difficult, as we needed to feather the accelerator enough to maintain the drift and not so much that we would spin out. At one point my co-worker and I spun out at the same time. Radio crackles "If synchronized 360s were a sport, I'd give you two an 8." Then we finally nailed it, drifting almost the entire circle. A ton a fun and like that, we were done and returning to the building for a 10 min break.

We then jumped into the M2 Comps for the next exercise. Admittedly, this exercise was the most unsettling. Essentially this was an emergency breaking exercise where cones were laid out to simulate a freeway lane, a stationary object on the road, and an emergency exit lane. We started by observing the instructor, standing off to the side at a safe distance while the instructor performed the maneuver. Then we were asked to hop back into the M2 Comps and try it at 50 mph. We were to drive to a specific cone, rotate the wheel as quick as we could 90 degrees to the left, then 90 degrees on the right and then mash on the brakes. I slammed on the accelerator, eventually got to 50 mph, then hard left, hard right, mash on the breaks. Fun! Do it again and 55, then 60, then 65. At freeway speeds it was pretty violent, hard mash on the accelerator, hard left, hard right, slam on the breaks. I really appreciated the M2 Comp seats during this exercise, they hugged me well and I didn't shift much in the car as it moved left and right. The video doesn't give the experience justice but it was the most violent experience in the car we had all day with the exception of the hot laps.

Name:  IMG_1243.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  400.6 KB

We then Jumped in the M4s for some track time. It was a short circuit, timed for fun, lots of tight turns and no straight aways. There was a trigger at the start we passed through to start the timer and one at the end just before the 'red box' to stop it. Hitting any cones knocked 2 seconds off your time and stopping outside the red box was basically a foiled run. The pressure of that red box affected my time considerably as I would tend to drift into it or break too early. I was bested by my coworker by 1.5 seconds. I didn't care though, it was fun! What I didn't care for where the M4s seats. The lumbar supports were too narrow for my body style and I felt like I floated on the seat laterally and sloshed about too much.

Name:  IMG_1237.jpg
Size:  375.5 KB

We broke for lunch, pretty nice and rather large. Then we jumped back in into the M2s and drove single file to the Thermal club track. The instructor had us stand on the inside of a left turn so he could show us how to emergency break on a turn at freeway speeds. We raced down to the beginning of the track, mashed on the gas pedal, began the turn at the prescribed speed, then at the prescribed cones mashed on the brakes. This one was a little tough because we had to loose and regain control. We had to allow the car to drift toward the shoulder while mashing on the brakes, hold the wheel and not turn until the wheels regained traction, then turn toward the exit cones. What made it difficult is we had to adjust one mph each run to get to the point where the car would drift. That's hard to do with an analog gauge. We also were driving into a cone set that at close to 70 mph felt like it was only one and a half car widths wide.

With that done we jumped back into the M5s and drove single file to the Thermal club track. We did two circuits at a comfortable pace to understand the track and have the instructor talk through the line, breaking and acceleration points. Then we hit freeway speeds, myself in the third car behind my coworker who was behind the instructor. One lap, then we floored it on the straightaway. Literally mashed the accelerator to the floor and hit about 120mph on the straightaway before the instructor called for a coast, break hard, turn left, run the course, and go. Mash on the straightaway and do it all over again. Then we swapped positions, and did it again, and again, swap positions, etc. It was at least 45 min on the track and the fastest I hit on a straightaway was 126mph. Never having driven that fast in my life, it was exhilarating and exhausting all at once. Concentration was key, we were manually shifting at the instructor's request to try and keep the M5s cool. Shifting up at 5500 rpm, downshifting to third gear on all turns. There is a lot to think about, keeping your eyes ahead of what you are doing, listening to the instructor letting you know if you are overstearing, understearing, breaking too soon, accelerating late, etc. My M5 overheated twice so we had to slow down as a group to allow it to cool off then hit it hard again. I felt I got the full appreciation for the M5, it handled incredibly well, accelerated so fast, just a fun drive.

After a 10 minute break we jumped into the M4s again. Same track, same lead follow technique, but it was different. The M4 felt like a more visceral experience. The sound dampening on the M4 felt non-existent compared to the M5, I could hear the revs, I could feel the traction more, it seemed to grip less on the turns, and was less assuring than the M5. But being able to hear and feel the car, it was a better overall track experience. Except for the seats. My right knee knocked on the center console and my left calf hit the door pocket repeatedly, I can feel the bruises today.

Then we jumped into an M4 with the instructor for hot laps. My coworker allowed me to go first and the first run was basically as fast as the instructor could run the course. The entire day is billed as driving BMW Ms to the edge of their capability. In that hot lap I learned that I drove the cars to the edge of my capability. Then the instructor started going sideways on the second lap. At first I thought he lost the car to my satisfaction. Nope, he was drifting at speed. Then it was my coworkers turn. No rubber left on those tires and quite the experience!!

Then it was over. When I think back at the three cars, for a track, the M4 with better seats would be my choice or an M5 without any sound dampening and probably the comp package so I could feel the engine and hear the RPMs. I did lower the windows the last two runs in the M5 and that helped quite a bit. I felt connected with the M2 but it is pretty spartan and wouldn't be a good choice for me personally. The exhaust notes on the M2 Comp were not to my liking either. But in the end, I don't plan to ever track my M5 Comp, certainly never treat it the way I did the M5, and love the car more then ever after running that Thermal course in the M5.

Sorry for the long read but I had such a great experience I had to get it on 'paper' and share with anyone who hasn't had the pleasure. I still don't believe the $2500 option is worth the cost, but at roughly $1300 with only two of us in basically a private setting, that was worth it!!

Name:  IMG_1249.jpg
Size:  352.9 KB

Last edited by MXNSITH; 06-30-2020 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 13
POBA272.00
m5 guy1662.00
Belugs318.00
Punitive147.00
jko200136.00
brava09767.00
JRod1980391.50
spuntyb4051.50
      06-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

I have done this school, great write up.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 1
MXNSITH198.50
      07-01-2020, 01:20 AM   #3
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Awesome read, thanks for posting!
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 1
MXNSITH198.50
      07-01-2020, 04:42 PM   #4
khoa@x-ph.com
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Thanks for posting OP. Love your M5 color.
Appreciate 1
MXNSITH198.50
      07-01-2020, 08:51 PM   #5
jko2001
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

Awesome write up - thanks for sharing
Appreciate 1
MXNSITH198.50
      07-01-2020, 11:10 PM   #6
LQM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 750i

I live about 3 miles from the Thermal track, have done the school a few times. Highly recommend.
      07-02-2020, 12:37 AM   #7
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Awesome write up. Thank you.

Q - I live out of state - do you need to bring your own M5 to drive the M5, or is it part of the course?

Also is your course for beginners? And how did you apply the CCA discount?

I'd love to try this out.
Appreciate 1
MXNSITH198.50
      07-02-2020, 02:06 AM   #8
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Good stuff....would love to do this.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 1
MXNSITH198.50
      07-02-2020, 03:17 AM   #9
JRod1980
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXNSITH View Post
Yesterday, I spent the day at the M Driver's Program in Thermal, CA. For the few people that may not know what that is, it's a one day course (experience) that either comes with the purchase of your car as an add-on (along with increased top speed out of the factory) or as a single purchase separately. In my case, I purchased the course with my CCA discount after the fact, planning to attend with a coworker who had it as an add-on with his M2 Comp. We were pretty lucky in that we were the only two in the class. His M2 Comp on the left (@404speed) and my M5 Comp on the right (stealth_M5). Excuse all the pics in this post, we only had our cell phones on the track, understandably.

Attachment 2352063

We started the day with a one hour in class course, covering the basics. The instruction went into some depth on seat position and posture, hand position, breaking, etc. It was informative enough to be interesting, but not so much that we lost interest. I could see however if you had done any reading prior, this could be a bore. In our case, we were basically getting to know our instructor in this period and he was getting to know us. With such a small group, that was important.

Attachment 2352060

Attachment 2352061

Then we jumped into an M5, we each had our own and the instructor jumped into the M5 he used most of the day. This was my first time doing anything like this so I was pretty excited to say the least. There were radios in each car in the door pocket next to our left leg for the instructor to transmit and for us to ask questions if needed. We began with a slalom course, very slow at first to get used to holding the wheel at 9 and 3 (not 10 and 2) and becoming accustomed to hand over hand. Then we picked up speed, then the instructor said to go as fast as we could... As fast as we could... My co-worker knocked over a few of the cones, at which point the instructor started to poke fun at him, "What did those cones do to you?"

Attachment 2352062

We then ventured over to the slick pad. The instructor began by showing and explaining to us how to initiate a drift, and then how to maintain it. With DSC turned off, engine set to Spot Plus, we started by bringing the car to 15mph, both on the pad at the same time, one on each side of the pad. We then hit the accelerator aggressively and the car immediately began to drift to the right. At first we were asked to recover the slide, which was pretty easy and instinctual. We did about three of those and then were asked to maintain it. That was difficult, as we needed to feather the accelerator enough to maintain the drift and not so much that we would spin out. At one point my co-worker and I spun out at the same time. Radio crackles "If synchronized 360s were a sport, I'd give you two an 8." Then we finally nailed it, drifting almost the entire circle. A ton a fun and like that, we were done and returning to the building for a 10 min break.

We then jumped into the M2 Comps for the next exercise. Admittedly, this exercise was the most unsettling. Essentially this was an emergency breaking exercise where cones were laid out to simulate a freeway lane, a stationary object on the road, and an emergency exit lane. We started by observing the instructor, standing off to the side at a safe distance while the instructor performed the maneuver. Then we were asked to hop back into the M2 Comps and try it at 50 mph. We were to drive to a specific cone, rotate the wheel as quick as we could 90 degrees to the left, then 90 degrees on the right and then mash on the brakes. I slammed on the accelerator, eventually got to 50 mph, then hard left, hard right, mash on the breaks. Fun! Do it again and 55, then 60, then 65. At freeway speeds it was pretty violent, hard mash on the accelerator, hard left, hard right, slam on the breaks. I really appreciated the M2 Comp seats during this exercise, they hugged me well and I didn't shift much in the car as it moved left and right. The video doesn't give the experience justice but it was the most violent experience in the car we had all day with the exception of the hot laps.

Attachment 2351998

We then Jumped in the M4s for some track time. It was a short circuit, timed for fun, lots of tight turns and no straight aways. There was a trigger at the start we passed through to start the timer and one at the end just before the 'red box' to stop it. Hitting any cones knocked 2 seconds off your time and stopping outside the red box was basically a foiled run. The pressure of that red box affected my time considerably as I would tend to drift into it or break too early. I was bested by my coworker by 1.5 seconds. I didn't care though, it was fun! What I didn't care for where the M4s seats. The lumbar supports were too narrow for my body style and I felt like I floated on the seat laterally and sloshed about too much.

Attachment 2352019

We broke for lunch, pretty nice and rather large. Then we jumped back in into the M2s and drove single file to the Thermal club track. The instructor had us stand on the inside of a left turn so he could show us how to emergency break on a turn at freeway speeds. We raced down to the beginning of the track, mashed on the gas pedal, began the turn at the prescribed speed, then at the prescribed cones mashed on the brakes. This one was a little tough because we had to loose and regain control. We had to allow the car to drift toward the shoulder while mashing on the brakes, hold the wheel and not turn until the wheels regained traction, then turn toward the exit cones. What make it difficult is we had to adjust one mph each run to get to the point where the car would drift. That's hard to do with an analog gauge. We also were driving into a cone set that at close to 70 mph felt like it was only one and a half car widths wide.

With that done we jumped back into the M5s and drove single file to the Thermal club track. We did two circuits at a comfortable pace to understand the track and have the instructor talk through the line, breaking and acceleration points. Then we hit freeway speeds, myself in the third car behind my coworker who was behind the instructor. One lap, then we floored it on the straightaway. Literally mashed the accelerator to the floor and hit about 120mph on the straightaway before the instructor called for a coast, break hard, turn left, run the course, and go. Mash on the straightaway and do it all over again. Then we swapped positions, and did it again, and again, swap positions, etc. It was at least 45 min on the track and the fastest I hit on a straightaway was 126mph. Never having driven that fast in my life, it was exhilarating and exhausting all at once. Concentration was key, we were manually shifting at the instructor's request to try and keep the M5s cool. Shifting up at 5500 rpm, downshifting to third gear on all turns. There is a lot to think about, keeping your eyes ahead of what you are doing, listening to the instructor letting you know if you are overstearing, understearing, breaking too soon, accelerating late, etc. My M5 overheated twice so we had to slow down as a group to allow it to cool off then hit it hard again. I felt I got the full appreciation for the M5, it handled incredibly well, accelerated so fast, just a fun drive.

After a 10 minute break we jumped into the M4s again. Same track, same lead follow technique, but it was different. The M4 felt like a more visceral experience. The sound dampening on the M4 felt non-existent compared to the M5, I could hear the revs, I could feel the traction more, it seemed to grip less on the turns, and was less assuring than the M5. But being able to hear and feel the car, it was a better overall track experience. Except for the seats. My right knee knocked on the center console and my left calf hit the door pocket repeatedly, I can feel the bruises today.

Then we jumped into an M4 with the instructor for hot laps. My coworker allowed me to go first and the first run was basically as fast as the instructor could run the course. The entire day is billed as driving BMW Ms to the edge of their capability. In that hot lap I learned that I drove the cars to the edge of my capability. Then the instructor started going sideways on the second lap. At first I thought he lost the car to my satisfaction. Nope, he was drifting at speed. Then it was my coworkers turn. No rubber left on those tires and quite the experience!!

Then it was over. When I think back at the three cars, for a track, the M4 with better seats would be my choice or an M5 without any sound dampening and probably the comp package so I could feel the engine and hear the RPMs. I did lower the windows the last two runs in the M5 and that helped quite a bit. I felt connected with the M2 but it is pretty spartan and wouldn't be a good choice for me personally. The exhaust notes on the M2 Comp were not to my liking either. But in the end, I don't plan to ever track my M5 Comp, certainly never treat it the way I did the M5, and love the car more then ever after running that Thermal course in the M5.

Sorry for the long read but I had such a great experience I had to get it on 'paper' and share with anyone who hasn't had the pleasure. I still don't believe the $2500 option is worth the cost, but at roughly $1300 with only two of us in basically a private setting, that was worth it!!

Attachment 2352053
Great write up. Love all of the details. I'm actually at their facility in SC, doing the One day M Class today starting here in a couple of hours. Came in to town yesterday and snapped a few pictures around their campus. Can't wait!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MXNSITH198.50
      07-02-2020, 07:37 AM   #10
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]

That first corner.. I was like nailed it lol.

Looks like you had a great time for a class of 2
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 08:32 AM   #11
MXNSITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post

Q - I live out of state - do you need to bring your own M5 to drive the M5, or is it part of the course?
No, for this course you cannot drive your own car. They supply the M2 Comp, M4 and M5. Starting next month they are swapping the M5s with the M5 Comp due to the overheating issues. The instructor showed us the M5 Comps they were planning to use and they still needed to be wrapped and decaled. The M5s had ACC which likely contributed to the overheating since it blocks some of the intake to the air cooler. The new M5 Comps didn't have the ACC option.

Quote:

Also is your course for beginners?

I'd love to try this out.
No experience is required. Other M schools are different in that regard but for this one you just need a drivers license.

Quote:

And how did you apply the CCA discount?
There is a phone number on the performance website you call. They ask for your member number and apply the discount over the phone. They make it easy for you.
Appreciate 1
Neptune71416.00
      07-02-2020, 08:35 AM   #12
MXNSITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod1980 View Post
Great write up. Love all of the details. I'm actually at their facility in SC, doing the One day M Class today starting here in a couple of hours. Came in to town yesterday and snapped a few pictures around their campus. Can't wait!
Have a great time! Good looking comp.
Appreciate 1
JRod1980391.50
      07-02-2020, 08:42 AM   #13
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Enjoyable read, thanks for taking the time to post. In the short span of this driving experience, do you think you might have pushed yourself harder on the track if the instructor had taken you on the hot lap ride along first? That would have given you a reference point to shoot for, and also shown you what the car was capable of doing while still under control.

The instructor has countless laps around the course, so you couldn’t expect to match him, but as a student I’d appreciate that eye opening ride at the beginning.

Perhaps others on this forum who have been instructors could add their perspective? Maybe beginners would try too hard, get out of shape too often trying to do as the instructor did? Better to ease into car control without being a hero?
Appreciate 1
MXNSITH198.50
      07-02-2020, 09:02 AM   #14
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Wow great story, was the over heating due to it being hot there? Or the hard driving? If I ever be the time I will spend a day there
Appreciate 1
MXNSITH198.50
      07-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #15
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Enjoyable read, thanks for taking the time to post. In the short span of this driving experience, do you think you might have pushed yourself harder on the track if the instructor had taken you on the hot lap ride along first? That would have given you a reference point to shoot for, and also shown you what the car was capable of doing while still under control.

The instructor has countless laps around the course, so you couldn’t expect to match him, but as a student I’d appreciate that eye opening ride at the beginning.

Perhaps others on this forum who have been instructors could add their perspective? Maybe beginners would try too hard, get out of shape too often trying to do as the instructor did? Better to ease into car control without being a hero?
For the regular 2-Day M School and Advanced M Schools, you will get a ride along before the exercise begins. They'll show you the course, make some points, and then push it hard. Then you'll get back in your car for lead-follow and build up speed.

The hot laps are all nannies off, which won't happen during your session (MDM only)
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:09 AM   #16
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Wow great story, was the over heating due to it being hot there? Or the hard driving? If I ever be the time I will spend a day there
No. I've been to Thermal several times in hot and cool times and the M5s have issues with cooling on the track.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:35 AM   #17
MXNSITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
do you think you might have pushed yourself harder on the track if the instructor had taken you on the hot lap ride along first?
I absolutely think I would have driven considerably harder if I did the hot laps first. I also think it's crazy the amount of trust the instructors place in us, the drivers, in this school. This is an intro course, usually a mix of experience, so I think doing it first could be a possible safety concern.

I do wish it was in the middle of the Thermal Culb part of the day though, say between the M5 and M4 exercises at the end of the day on the track. It would have helped me considerably with my line.

Last edited by MXNSITH; 07-02-2020 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:39 AM   #18
MXNSITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It wasn't hot for thermal, 95 degrees. I drove the M4 harder by a bit and it didn't have any issues.

The instructor said the base M5s almost always have issues, the Comps rarely do, and the instructors requested no ACC on the Comps to allow more airflow to completely eliminate the problem. For those with ACC, you know there is essentially a large sized plate in front of the center of the air cooler which likely diffuses some air. For conventional every day driving, not an issue. For tracking, that is a different story when airflow is critical. It only took about half a lap to get the car cool enough to clear the alarm.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      07-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #19
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
Quote:
No. I've been to Thermal several times in hot and cool times and the M5s have issues with cooling on the track.
Good to if I ever get one(m5)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #20
JRod1980
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod1980 View Post
Have a great time! Good looking comp.
Your car and my car are twins.
Appreciate 1
MXNSITH198.50
      07-10-2020, 01:50 PM   #21
Sencu
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition LCI

Realy good writing, after reading your post im considering gooing as well
Appreciate 1
MXNSITH198.50
      07-11-2020, 07:10 AM   #22
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:

Attachment 2352063

Attachment 2352060

Attachment 2352061

Attachment 2352062

Attachment 2351998

Attachment 2352019

We broke for lunch, pretty nice and rather large. Then we jumped back in into the M2s and drove single file to the Thermal club track. The instructor had us stand on the inside of a left turn so he could show us how to emergency break on a turn at freeway speeds. We raced down to the beginning of the track, mashed on the gas pedal, began the turn at the prescribed speed, then at the prescribed cones mashed on the brakes. This one was a little tough because we had to loose and regain control. We had to allow the car to drift toward the shoulder while mashing on the brakes, hold the wheel and not turn until the wheels regained traction, then turn toward the exit cones. What made it difficult is we had to adjust one mph each run to get to the point where the car would drift. That's hard to do with an analog gauge. We also were driving into a cone set that at close to 70 mph felt like it was only one and a half car widths wide.

Attachment 2352053
Sounds like a blast! Thanks for the write up

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
MXNSITH198.50