BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    Should I wait for the Bowers & Wilkins?

03-16-2022, 03:06 PM   #1
sevenn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Should I wait for the Bowers & Wilkins?

Hello Guys,

Long story short, I ordered a BMW M5 Competition in July 2021 with Bowers & Wilkins sound system. Order was delayed multiple times. The last promise was April 2022 to produce the car. Today my salesman inform me the company delayed all orders with Bowers & Wilkins to May of 2022. This date is also not 100% sure, but they said they could deliver the car earlier with H/K sound system. (Probably 2 months earlier)

So my question is, what do you suggest should I wait for the uncertain deliver with B&W, or go for the H/K system? Is there a big difference in the quality of the two sound systems?

I really want to get my car as soon as possible, but I also don't want to regret my choice.

Thank you for your help, really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 03:31 PM   #2
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Once you can order, there is going to be a further increase on an already existing backlog of demand, further driving up prices. I personally would not order it without the B&W, but I'm at the point I just don't care anymore. I've seen the writing on the wall, and this era is over. BMW cannot even be arsed to populate its shopbmwusa.com site anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 05:27 PM   #3
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS & 2022 X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
Personally I don't really care. I have H/K, my dad has B&W. I've been in his car plenty and other than the lights at night, it makes no difference to me. I'm not a huge sound guy, but I do appreciate good sound. With that said I wouldn't have waited an extra month for that, let alone 6+ months.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2022, 06:29 PM   #4
Jarmadon
Private
Rep
Drives: 22' F90 M5C

H/K is not a poor audio system for one, it's the upgrade on some lower models. I wanted B&W (my home theater/music setup is B&W), but I gave up on waiting. I know I'll be happy with the H/K and the speaker system is pretty low down on my priority list when it comes to why I ordered an M5C.

That said, with what is happening in Russia/Ukraine and the issues that will stem from nearly 50% of semiconductor-grade neon being out of the supply chain globally…. I would worry the number of things unavailable/stop sales could be increasing in the near future.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2022, 09:53 PM   #5
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X7, '22 M5C, '21 Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenn View Post
Hello Guys,

Long story short, I ordered a BMW M5 Competition in July 2021 with Bowers & Wilkins sound system. Order was delayed multiple times. The last promise was April 2022 to produce the car. Today my salesman inform me the company delayed all orders with Bowers & Wilkins to May of 2022. This date is also not 100% sure, but they said they could deliver the car earlier with H/K sound system. (Probably 2 months earlier)

I really want to get my car as soon as possible, but I also don't want to regret my choice.
I’m in the same boat wondering the same thing. What scares me is your timeline. You ordered in July last year? And still haven’t gotten it? I ordered last month and starting to second guess now. They typically stop producing a MY in June. If they don’t start production on either of ours by May, we might as well cancel the order and get a 2023.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 10:00 PM   #6
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Hello Guys,

So my question is, what do you suggest should I wait for the uncertain deliver with B&W, or go for the H/K system? Is there a big difference in the quality of the two sound systems?

Thank you for your help, really appreciate it!
what was your original build date? like before any delays?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 12:55 AM   #7
Namelss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport

I ordered my M5C at the end of last July with B&W and took delivery 6 months later.

I've heard things I've never heard before in some songs with the B&W. I wouldn't have wanted the car without it but everyone is different. I'm getting more picky as I get older (and as I spend more on my cars).
      03-17-2022, 06:12 AM   #8
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namelss View Post
I ordered my M5C at the end of last July with B&W and took delivery 6 months later.

I've heard things I've never heard before in some songs with the B&W. I wouldn't have wanted the car without it but everyone is different. I'm getting more picky as I get older (and as I spend more on my cars).
Comparing the H&K in my M5 vs. the B&W in my Volvo V60, the sharpness and bass in the B&W in the Volvo is much much better.

Not sure it'd be worth waiting a long long time for it, or the cost.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 09:31 AM   #9
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X7, '22 M5C, '21 Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Comparing the H&K in my M5 vs. the B&W in my Volvo V60, the sharpness and bass in the B&W in the Volvo is much much better.

Not sure it'd be worth waiting a long long time for it, or the cost.

Shawn
I can see both sides of this. On one hand, $3,400 is a lot for an upgraded stereo. Then there’s the side that says, if you’re already spending over $100k for a car, why not? I was on the fence for a long time with it. I’m all about better sound and I can tell the difference. And I also recognize the additional feature of the backlighting in the B&W. So I am leaving it to fate. I told the sales manager if they can get it in there without causing a delay in production, I want it. But I don’t want a delay. We’ll see what I get.
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1834.00
      03-17-2022, 01:07 PM   #10
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

The the F90 M5 my only must-haves are the Competition moniker and the carbon-ceramic brakes, don't wait for anything else. Get your car, drive, and enjoy!
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 02:46 PM   #11
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M5C

I ordered my M5C on 10/8/21, B&W was not an available option. My build week was the 5th week of this year. B&W never became available during that time. My M5C arrives at the port tomorrow, and I'll hopefully have it by the end of the month.

I'm an audiophile, but I wouldn't wait just to have the B&W system, as cool as the illuminated speakers are. If the H/K doesn't do it for me, I'll end up going aftermarket, which I'd kind of planned on doing already.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 03:32 PM   #12
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

That's why the $3500 is somewhat of a "bargain." Aftermarket is going to really cost you a lot more. Then there is the task of finding someone to do a good job, which around is quite the task. I had a PPF installer do $5000 in damage to a brand new M5 and had the car close to two months. The wrap was terrible as well, and then he had the gall to try and blame me for all of it. I ended up having to dispute the over $9k I had given him just to get the vehicle repaired, but the wrap was never anywhere even close to the jobs I've seen on here. He was highly recommended by multiple people. Anyway, for the price, I'd want something already done. I am too lazy to start doing add-ons.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 03:39 PM   #13
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
That's why the $3500 is somewhat of a "bargain." Aftermarket is going to really cost you a lot more. Then there is the task of finding someone to do a good job, which around is quite the task. I had a PPF installer do $5000 in damage to a brand new M5 and had the car close to two months. The wrap was terrible as well, and then he had the gall to try and blame me for all of it. I ended up having to dispute the over $9k I had given him just to get the vehicle repaired, but the wrap was never anywhere even close to the jobs I've seen on here. He was highly recommended by multiple people. Anyway, for the price, I'd want something already done. I am too lazy to start doing add-ons.
It wasn't anyone in NJ that did the ppf right? If so please tell me who so I can avoid
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 04:49 PM   #14
sevenn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moserkm View Post
I’m in the same boat wondering the same thing. What scares me is your timeline. You ordered in July last year? And still haven’t gotten it? I ordered last month and starting to second guess now. They typically stop producing a MY in June. If they don’t start production on either of ours by May, we might as well cancel the order and get a 2023.
Yes. Actually I am from Europe and my little country is not a primary market for BMW (especially for M models). So my case probably not happens in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
what was your original build date? like before any delays?
I don't know. I didn't get too much information from my salesman, only about the delays. He always told me "nothing we can do, but wait for the confirmation of production." I can easily imagine they put new orders before mine. We do not have a "Tracking page" for the order, so all I can have is what my salesman tells me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmike View Post
I ordered my M5C on 10/8/21, B&W was not an available option. My build week was the 5th week of this year. B&W never became available during that time. My M5C arrives at the port tomorrow, and I'll hopefully have it by the end of the month.

I'm an audiophile, but I wouldn't wait just to have the B&W system, as cool as the illuminated speakers are. If the H/K doesn't do it for me, I'll end up going aftermarket, which I'd kind of planned on doing already.
Funny, because I just checked our configurator and there is no H/K option available, only B&W.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 05:22 PM   #15
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes. Actually I am from Europe and my little country is not a primary market for BMW (especially for M models). So my case probably not happens in general.

I don't know. I didn't get too much information from my salesman, only about the delays. He always told me "nothing we can do, but wait for the confirmation of production." I can easily imagine they put new orders before mine. We do not have a "Tracking page" for the order, so all I can have is what my salesman tells me.

Funny, because I just checked our configurator and there is no H/K option available, only B&W.
Only usa has no b&w other countries still do. Also hk is standard audio
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 07:13 PM   #16
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
It wasn't anyone in NJ that did the ppf right? If so please tell me who so I can avoid
Nah this was in Franklin, TN, about 25 miles south of Nashville. There is a little cabal of rednecks of various trades that give each other reacharounds with referring services none of them can provide with an iota of quality. Bad thing is the local BMW dealer (an ever-impressive Sonic dealership) refers to them as well. It's yeehaw time here in TN.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 04:32 AM   #17
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

I get my PPF done in ATL which is 4.5 hours from my home. Inconvenient, but that's what needs to be done to find quality work. Nobody in my area is touching my car. 😳

My cars get trailered there in a covered trailer before driving them on public roads to avoid rock chips before the PPF goes on.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 07:36 AM   #18
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
How did you get to $9k for PPF?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 08:12 AM   #19
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

That's just the price he gave me, and based on the referrals, I trusted him. I was willing to pay for quality and total encapsulation of every piece, but what I got was the complete opposite. He was a professional liar, and my ignorance at the time wasn't a good combination.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 10:15 AM   #20
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
That's just the price he gave me, and based on the referrals, I trusted him. I was willing to pay for quality and total encapsulation of every piece, but what I got was the complete opposite.
The same thing happened to Ex Stig, paid for PPF and the guy did a terrible job. Are other members finding shops having a hard time wrapping an M5 CS?
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 08:09 PM   #21
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

My PPF wrap is exquisite. Total perfection. Could not be happier.

Detailed Designs in ATL.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 07:15 AM   #22
aj_g80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 720s

Quote:

Its funny multiple people referred you there and the work was garbage. Proves ALOT of people dont know what they are looking at. But think they do.
Appreciate 0