BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Autocar Reports: F90 M5 gets 600hp S63, xDrive, 8 Speed Auto (ZF), 5 Driving Modes

03-11-2017, 04:50 PM   #155
Laserdude
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jet black e93 335

I don't see really what people are complaining about. It says that the m5 will have the ability for 100% rwd and the xdrive will make it be able to launch and put power down way more effectively than the f10. It will be faster WITH the option for rwd if you want it on the track or something. The no dct decision is disappointing but how many people consistently track their m5? I don't think that's it's true purpose it's a fast gt car and I think for 95% of driving the zf auto handle just fine
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #156
Laserdude
Private
United_States
Rep

I don't see really what people are complaining about. It says that the m5 will have the ability for 100% rwd and the xdrive will make it be able to launch and put power down way more effectively than the f10. It will be faster WITH the option for rwd if you want it on the track or something. The no dct decision is disappointing but how many people consistently track their m5? I don't think that's it's true purpose it's a fast gt car and I think for 95% of driving the zf auto handle just fine
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #157
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Basically 99% of what I hinted at a year ago. Transmission "info" should be taken with a grain of salt.

3rd Gen ZF8 Modular - 8DT Center Module.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #158
CERF04ZHP
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / F31 M-Sport

Is AWD (with that stupid switch to make it RWD on demand) going to be the only option? Seems to me that it would make far more sense to offer an AWD version for those that want one, and a RWD for those that don't.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #159
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Basically 99% of what I hinted at a year ago. Transmission "info" should be taken with a grain of salt.

And that means what exactly?
      03-11-2017, 06:30 PM   #160
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserdude View Post
The one thing the M5 doesn't really need to be is faster, it needs to be lighter and more engaging.

xdrive and a slush box ZF8 will take it further away from its roots.

Forget about the track a car can be rewarding at 40mph on the road if it's set up right.
      03-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #161
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post

And that means what exactly?
The attached image is the ZF 8DT (Dual Clutch) center module, not the ZF 8HP (slushbox).
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #162
Laserdude
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The one thing the M5 doesn't really need to be is faster, it needs to be lighter and more engaging.

Forget about the track a car can be rewarding at 40mph on the road if it's set up right.
I agree about the roots but I think xdrive is close to a necessity now because the f10 had a real hard time putting power down and with this next bump in power that'll get worse. Almost ever review I have seen has praised the f10 but complained about it being too tail happy, limited, and inefficient with its rwd
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #163
Laserdude
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I agree about the roots but I think xdrive is close to a necessity now because the f10 had a real hard time putting power down and with this next bump in power that'll get worse. Almost ever review I have seen has praised the f10 but complained about it being too tail happy, limited, and inefficient with its rwd
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #164
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

You guys ready for X-Drive emblems?
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00
      03-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #165
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
I guess my days exploring this part of the forums is over. AWD shit. Sucks because it really looked good.

Also, didn't the head of M say this wasn't happening? What a cocksucker.
Hey I agree with what you say but easy on the cock sucker hate.
Lol. Maybe it was harsh but this guy is an Audi guy lol
      03-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #166
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
You guys ready for X-Drive emblems?
I'm still enjoying the whining.

All of them are speaking based from an "unofficial" report. lol. Jumping to conclusions is what the internet is best at doing.
      03-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #167
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
No worries. It's all just a bunch of marketing. BMW uses the "M-DCT" but the unit is a Getrag unit. A lot of people seem to think that manufacturers make their own unit (some do) but I find it strange when I'm reading this thread and I see "BMW should improve their transmissions to handle the torque". Improve what? BMW doesn't make the DCT in their M cars. They might calibrate the software but they have nothing to do with the actual hardware.
Most people surely know that firms like GKN/Getrag/Ricardo/ZF etc... are making these transmissions/drivelines but they do that in conjunction with the vehicle manufacturers, they don't spend many millions on development without having a partner willing to buy it or one that at least thinks it's a good idea.

Lets take the MDCT gearbox from Getrag, which other brand takes that gearbox with the same ratios and control software?
I don't think most do. They have no idea who makes transmissions and think the car companies do.

And I agree with bingoballs, I think car companies like to market as if the part is made by themselves by giving them names.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 10:59 PM   #168
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
You don't know the first thing about me. There are ways to keep pushing the buck forward while allowing your cars to still feel communicative and have a soul, see Porsche, Ferrari, and Alfa Romeo.
Lol. Of course you bring up those brands. Porsche is never-not doing absolutely ridiculous R&D for their vehicles; they have to. Their whole entire brand revolves around performance. They can also afford to waste a pile of money on R&D'ing a GT3 because they have parent/sister companies to back it up. BMW doesn't. Same goes for Ferrari and Alfa (we can all agree Alfa was complete junk until Alfa was able to go nuts & pick the ideas and practices from Maserati and Ferrari for the Gulia), they both have necessary aid to be able to go nuts on a specific car. BMW has to spread the butter a little more thinly across the brand.

Quote:
Outside the M2 and M4, I can't say BMW's technological advances have done anything positive for the driving experience but produce faster lap times.
So how are they constantly edging out the competition? Your statement holds no merit. Go throw a new G30 5er around and tell me it isn't lightyears ahead of the F10 in terms of chassis development. Any car that can drop 200+ pounds, increase chassis rigidity, as well as lower the center of gravity all in one shot qualifies as positive driving experience gestures to me. I guess we'll also discredit BMW for their use of CFRP too
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 11:00 PM   #169
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
I track with my ZF auto. It's epic and lightning fast. People need to track regularly with a Non M ZF auto to realize that, it will be awesome.

Btw the X5M has a ZF and no one bitches about that....

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 12:13 AM   #170
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

No to Auto

Everything sounds about right except the Auto bit. Having an 8th gear and torque converter unit is a not keeping with the car's racy DNA.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 12:31 AM   #171
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Fun on the run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Actually Sport Auto had ran the ring with E63 at 7:55, and that was the previous generation too.
Amazing what you can achieve with a well driven, well balanced car. i would love to know how much life he gets out of a set of tires and brakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 08:35 AM   #172
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

for what ever it is worth
I had a f10 M5 and currently drive E63 AMG
The MCT on the E is fairly good, and it has improved over the past few years.My car is 2016
I believe DCT is better
normal driving AWD on the E does not bother me at all , vs the M5 RWD . I don't track these cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 08:46 AM   #173
hekki
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bentayga, GT3 RS

Most buyers of these super fast sedans/Wagons only drives in public roads as daily driver. That's why AWD is better option and most buyers want. Yes, on track RWD is much better but there are a few buyers who uses these car on track. I think that's why BMW offers AWD instead of RWD.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #174
Driver37
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Boxster /E46 325 RIP / e30 325

I am excited for the new M5.

From the extremely brief convos I had over heard. The new M xDrive system will be phenomenal and the torque numbers are going to be through the roof.

Let's just sit back, wait, and enjoy the show.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #175
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
You don't know the first thing about me. There are ways to keep pushing the buck forward while allowing your cars to still feel communicative and have a soul, see Porsche, Ferrari, and Alfa Romeo.
Lol. Of course you bring up those brands. Porsche is never-not doing absolutely ridiculous R&D for their vehicles; they have to. Their whole entire brand revolves around performance. They can also afford to waste a pile of money on R&D'ing a GT3 because they have parent/sister companies to back it up. BMW doesn't. Same goes for Ferrari and Alfa (we can all agree Alfa was complete junk until Alfa was able to go nuts & pick the ideas and practices from Maserati and Ferrari for the Gulia), they both have necessary aid to be able to go nuts on a specific car. BMW has to spread the butter a little more thinly across the brand.

Quote:
Outside the M2 and M4, I can't say BMW's technological advances have done anything positive for the driving experience but produce faster lap times.
So how are they constantly edging out the competition? Your statement holds no merit. Go throw a new G30 5er around and tell me it isn't lightyears ahead of the F10 in terms of chassis development. Any car that can drop 200+ pounds, increase chassis rigidity, as well as lower the center of gravity all in one shot qualifies as positive driving experience gestures to me. I guess we'll also discredit BMW for their use of CFRP too
The G30 is 137lbs lighter than the F10 to be exact.

Appreciate 1
aken971.50
      03-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #176
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentium View Post
so No RWD verion of the next M5?
It will be switchable between RWD and AWD. Although not having a DCT is unfortunate, I would think this would improve 0-60. Getrag needs to up the horsepower rating on their DCT. I believe the competition pack M5 F10 has 600 HP though it is RWD only. There are plenty of aftermarket cars with DCT making more power.
Appreciate 0