BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Looking to Purchase F90 M5

02-16-2024, 10:29 AM   #1
Doctor X
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58

Looking to Purchase F90 M5

Whats going on everyone.

I'm in the market and have been looking at two options right now.

G80 M3 or F90 M5.

Still on the fence for either or but I'd love to hear some of your guys thoughts on what to look for when buying a F90.

Questions:
- Any specific year that's more troublesome?
- What are general problems?
- What packages are musts?

I really want a comp with X-Drive.

Will most likely tune immediately through BM3.

Will love the knowledge

Cheers,

X
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 09:43 PM   #2
S EyeLand
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

I just bought an F90. I think you would regret not getting B&W audio and maybe the Comp package. The LCI has the newer taillights and facia but otherwise it's the same. I got a good deal on a 19 comp with B&W and I'm loving it. The only reoccurring issue is with the coolant expansion tank, you probably want to keep an eye on that but it's a cheap and easy fix if it leaks. Just check your tank for white residue once or twice a month and this should have any issues being a very reliable car.

If you decide on a non-comp you probably won't notice any differences since you're going to tune it. I would also install HR 550i springs and secondary catless pipes along with the tune. For the audio, the BW system looks better in the interior and sounds better as well, this is probably the only MUST have imo. If your budget is tight; get a non lci, non-comp with BW and mod/tune it to your liking.

The case i'll make for the G80 is the community. This F90 forum is like a funeral home, absolutely dead. The F85 community was better. You'll very likely have a better time being part of that community. Here, you're lucky if you get one response on your threads and the used part classifieds is abysmal.

Good luck.
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2024, 09:51 PM   #3
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S EyeLand View Post
I just bought an F90. I think you would regret not getting B&W audio and maybe the Comp package. The LCI has the newer taillights and facia but otherwise it's the same. I got a good deal on a 19 comp with B&W and I'm loving it. The only reoccurring issue is with the coolant expansion tank, you probably want to keep an eye on that but it's a cheap and easy fix if it leaks. Just check your tank for white residue once or twice a month and this should have any issues being a very reliable car.

If you decide on a non-comp you probably won't notice any differences since you're going to tune it. I would also install HR 550i springs and secondary catless pipes along with the tune. For the audio, the BW system looks better in the interior and sounds better as well, this is probably the only MUST have imo. If your budget is tight; get a non lci, non-comp with BW and mod/tune it to your liking.

The case i'll make for the G80 is the community. This F90 forum is like a funeral home, absolutely dead. The F85 community was better. You'll very likely have a better time being part of that community. Here, you're lucky if you get one response on your threads and the used part classifieds is abysmal.

Good luck.
This F90 forum is like a funeral home, absolutely dead.”

Damn, and here I was thinking we’re actually somewhat of a lively bunch.

I love community and all, but I’ll answer the question with a mere two characters: V8.
      02-16-2024, 10:22 PM   #4
logicators
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post

I love community and all, but I’ll answer the question with a mere two characters: V8.
😂
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2024, 10:59 PM   #5
Servonen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
Questions:
- Any specific year that's more troublesome?
any F90 should be ok as it has a newer engine.

Quote:
- What are general problems?
The biggest problem is... previous user. You have to change engine oil frequently. Very frequently. Like 4,000 miles max 5,000 miles.

Quote:
- What packages are musts?
V8
Carbon roof (means - no sunroof).
CBB are great, but not "a must".
ACC is good, but not "a must".
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 08:34 AM   #6
S EyeLand
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

Honestly i think you should at least test drive an F95. Last time i went to buy an F10 I bought the F85 and this time i was really eyeing the F95. The interior quality is far better than the M5 it's more towards a 7 series than a 5 series. The feel of the M5 is better but the speed of the X5M is no joke either. I see myself grabbing an F95 in at the end of the summer so pair with the F90. If i had to pick one to own it would be a very difficult choice, which is why I recommend you at least sit in the F95.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 10:12 AM   #7
EM5C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
Will hang onto my f90 for a long while. It’s an incredible car, can’t go wrong OP. Looks like they just released the specs on the new g60 m5, over 5,300lbs…
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 06:50 PM   #8
FXMR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Honestly - if you're set on a G80X you might as well go for the F90. If you're considering 3 pedals, that changes things.

I'm currently in a G80 base and while loads of fun, the killer for me is that the car has grown in size. I come from 2 F80s and the G80 just feels bloated and too tech-y for an M3. Point in case - the M3 to M5 weight differential used to be close to 700lbs. Fast forward to present day, that gap has closed to just about half of that. For that little difference I'd personally rather have the V8 while I still can, not to mention the added luxury and fit and finish.

Don't get me wrong, the S58 is absolutely righteous (even in stock trim) but unless you're looking for a 6spd I'd cast my vote for the M5. Currently thinking of making the jump myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 10:20 PM   #9
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post

I was gonna say I know you felt this one lol. It’s def a different crowd here and I think that’s fine.

To the OP, once you can live with the coolant tank issue I think you’ll enjoy the platform. Just want to explicitly call it out as I wouldn’t want to see a thread pop up about picking up an F90 and some time later finding that issue having barely put miles on it.

The G80 handles itself really well and is a different experience to the F90.

I said it before, crazy the times we’re in where you can cross shop the G80 with an M5.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2024, 10:40 PM   #10
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectluck View Post
I was gonna say I know you felt this one lol. It’s def a different crowd here and I think that’s fine.

To the OP, once you can live with the coolant tank issue I think you’ll enjoy the platform. Just want to explicitly call it out as I wouldn’t want to see a thread pop up about picking up an F90 and some time later finding that issue having barely put miles on it.

The G80 handles itself really well and is a different experience to the F90.

I said it before, crazy the times we’re in where you can cross shop the G80 with an M5.
“I was gonna say I know you felt this one lol.”

Felt it to the core, my brother.
      02-19-2024, 08:34 AM   #11
redcarrera
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5C, RR HSE, GLS450, C4S

I've got a 21 M5C. The only problem I've had, so far, is I want to drive it all the time. I choose it over our Range Rover, GLS and Carrera4S. 'Nuff said.
Appreciate 1
916_M5365.00
      02-20-2024, 07:29 AM   #12
Mr. Jonathan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5 Comp

Ya’ll correct me if I’m wrong but…

If you’re going to tune. You might want a 2020. If you buy newer, you will have to ship ecu to Finland for an unlock….
Appreciate 2
916_M5365.00
      02-29-2024, 11:14 AM   #13
Doctor X
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58

imperfectluck Hello appreciate the reply. Can you educate me on the this coolant tank problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 09:03 AM   #14
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:
imperfectluck Hello appreciate the reply. Can you educate me on the this coolant tank problem.
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1921369

Internally the tank seems to fail even on the revised version from BMW which is lack luster. Just recently had mine on my F87 also leak and replaced it though fortunately for the S55 there’s nothing underneath for it to leak into unlike the S63’s hot V design where it can leak into places it shouldn’t be.

That’s the one major call out I’d say when shopping around for one as for example if I were to test drive one, after the drive when the coolant has warmed up I would ask to pop open the bonnet and see if there’s any signs of residue on the tank (or nearby it).
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 06:09 PM   #15
M5KEITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

2018 40,000 miles and in process of getting new coolant tank installed.

Maintenance:
Car needs spark plugs and coils every 30,000-40,000 miles.
Tires
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 07:21 PM   #16
GranitM5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5KEITH View Post
2018 40,000 miles and in process of getting new coolant tank installed.

Maintenance:
Car needs spark plugs and coils every 30,000-40,000 miles.
Tires
Mine also failed around 40k miles.
Appreciate 0