BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    Incoming M5 CS available

04-27-2022, 04:31 PM   #45
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
[QUOTE=micvite;28843908]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
I'm no engineer, but your logic makes sense I did (very) briefly entertain the idea of an M8 before deciding to put in an M5 order and go through everything you just did, but the lack of the massaging seats, among other things, irked me at a $130k base sticker price…
Yup... same here lol what I wish the m5 had was the heated armrests lol those are niiice, don't see why they couldn't add it to the 5 but u guess the 8 is supposed to be the "better" model lol
That's a feature I wish it had, too. The segmentation between the M5 and M8, or somewhat lack thereof, is a bit fuzzy if you ask me.
      04-28-2022, 10:00 AM   #46
m5_mbb7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5CS, M5C, M2C

Quote:
I mean I'm young (24), just don't fit in the seats (comofrtably) and not sure how good they'd feel over a 700-800 mile nonstop drive lol. Also not having the extra driving assistance features and the premium audio were a deal breaker for me as well. Nothing wrong with dailying the car just didn't think it'd be the right daily for my personal needs (aka long road trips)
I do about a 400 mile road trip (800 mile round trip) every few weeks in the CS. Most of the time nonstop since the trip can be made if I’m on cruise control at 80 the whole time, sometimes I’ll stop once or twice for gas if I’m not on cruise control. Not once have I felt sore ever and I feel less stiff after the drive in these seats than I did in the competition seats. Of course, things can change on a longer trip but I wouldn’t take it on a 1600 mile round trip regardless just due to the depreciation the car suffers. My opinion is that every mile in the car should be fun in some way, because you’re paying so much for it. To just sit back on cruise control for a long trip is a waste of miles and thus a waste of money because of depreciation. I’m starting to drive one of my other M cars on these regular trips for this reason.

But the lack of driving assist is something I completely agree on— I miss it a lot. As for the speakers, the Bowers and Wilkins in my competition definitely has a better “spatial audio” effect and filled the car better than the speakers in the CS but the ones in the M5CS are still very good. Very similar bass response, just less of that room-filling effect. I missed it for the first few hundred miles, then got used to the new sound.
Appreciate 3
Punitive148.00
clutchdj1878.50
Ominous136.50
      04-28-2022, 11:16 AM   #47
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5_mbb7 View Post
I do about a 400 mile road trip (800 mile round trip) every few weeks in the CS. Most of the time nonstop since the trip can be made if I’m on cruise control at 80 the whole time, sometimes I’ll stop once or twice for gas if I’m not on cruise control. Not once have I felt sore ever and I feel less stiff after the drive in these seats than I did in the competition seats. Of course, things can change on a longer trip but I wouldn’t take it on a 1600 mile round trip regardless just due to the depreciation the car suffers. My opinion is that every mile in the car should be fun in some way, because you’re paying so much for it. To just sit back on cruise control for a long trip is a waste of miles and thus a waste of money because of depreciation. I’m starting to drive one of my other M cars on these regular trips for this reason.

But the lack of driving assist is something I completely agree on— I miss it a lot. As for the speakers, the Bowers and Wilkins in my competition definitely has a better “spatial audio” effect and filled the car better than the speakers in the CS but the ones in the M5CS are still very good. Very similar bass response, just less of that room-filling effect. I missed it for the first few hundred miles, then got used to the new sound.
Haha yeah I never really use cruise control unless I'm in stop and go traffic (hence the DAP), and I drive so much that depreciation is irrelevant to me, like by next year my car will probably be worth like 80k and a year after than probably 40 with how much I drive so I learn to just eat it. Don't really plan on selling this either so I'm just looking at it as I'm paid 160k and I'm just gonna enjoy it not worry about what it's worth down the line.

But the seats are an if you fit they're great and if not they suck kinda thing lol, if you say they're comfy you're probably on the thinner side if I had to guess so the regular seats feel like a couch to you, me on the other hand I feel like the regular ones fit me well and hold me in and the carbon buckets are like a corset🤣🤣
Appreciate 2
      04-28-2022, 04:48 PM   #48
Ominous
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 CS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
Just did 1200 mile round trip and seats were very comfortable for me. I buy cars to drive so depreciation not a concern. Had fun on some Alabama backroads.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Punitive148.00
somer966.00
      04-28-2022, 10:39 PM   #49
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous View Post
Just did 1200 mile round trip and seats were very comfortable for me. I buy cars to drive so depreciation not a concern. Had fun on some Alabama backroads.
Car looks great! Glad you got to enjoy!
      04-28-2022, 10:42 PM   #50
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
If depreciation really mattered to us and was an issue, I don't think we'd get into these cars. Granted I don't have a CS, but certainly have depreciation. I mean, just look at the residuals, sheesh.

I agree with you all, I have my M5 to drive the hell out of it, and it's the best car I've ever had to do that. Life is too short!

Enjoy your cars guys!
      04-29-2022, 03:21 AM   #51
m5_mbb7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5CS, M5C, M2C

It’s not that depreciation is an issue. But I put over 10k miles in a month and a half of owning the car since it had its PPF finished. And I have a friend selling a certain fully built P car that I’ve been eyeing for a while so I’m lowkey looking at selling the CS eventually because I’ve had a lot of my fun in it already.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 10:15 AM   #52
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5_mbb7 View Post
It’s not that depreciation is an issue. But I put over 10k miles in a month and a half of owning the car since it had its PPF finished. And I have a friend selling a certain fully built P car that I’ve been eyeing for a while so I’m lowkey looking at selling the CS eventually because I’ve had a lot of my fun in it already.
WOW that's a a lot of miles. Hope it goes through for you to get your next car!
      04-30-2022, 03:04 PM   #53
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that's kinda how I drive too lol hence why I buy and don't care about value lol I end up keeping my cars until they literally crap out or someone hits me since value is gone after the first year of me driving it lol I wouldn't be surprised if I hit 100k miles in the first 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 06:47 PM   #54
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah that's kinda how I drive too lol hence why I buy and don't care about value lol I end up keeping my cars until they literally crap out or someone hits me since value is gone after the first year of me driving it lol I wouldn't be surprised if I hit 100k miles in the first 2 years.
I thought I drive a lot, definitely more than most people for sure, but you guys are road warriors.
      05-01-2022, 04:59 PM   #55
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I thought I drive a lot, definitely more than most people for sure, but you guys are road warriors.
Lol funny story... back in 2017 I was driving around 20-30k a month, couldn't get approved for an auto loan so decided to rent through hertz since I could get unlimited miles and the rate was only around 900$ a month for a dodge charger RT, which payment would have been around 500 for a new one and insurance and maintenance would've been more than an additional 400 lol... back then hertz leased most of their cars aka at 32-36k miles they'd pull then off the lot and only use them in special circumstances...

Well with me driving 20-30k a month, sometimes more and taking these cars 2 months at a time, say the car had 10k on it already, I'd bring it back with 70k at which point they gotta pay for extra miles and take the car out of service after making pennies on that car before id proceed to rent another for 2 months lol (that's the limit before they turn it into a long term rental). After about two and a half years, I go to rent another car... im on the DNR (do not rent list) no one could tell me why, but I knew the reason deep down... it's safe to say I may have significantly contributed to hertz financial problems, and even if I didn't hey, they went bankrupt shortly after I stopped renting so... yeah... heck they had gotten a new fleet of a fuck ton of jaguars so they were like hey u want a jag (to the 20 year old kid) I was lime sure! Give me that brand new XF! 2 months later it had 75k miles out of service since it was a lease plus over mileage or forcing them to buy it back and try to sell used. Those were the good times!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 07:16 PM   #56
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Lol funny story... back in 2017 I was driving around 20-30k a month, couldn't get approved for an auto loan so decided to rent through hertz since I could get unlimited miles and the rate was only around 900$ a month for a dodge charger RT, which payment would have been around 500 for a new one and insurance and maintenance would've been more than an additional 400 lol... back then hertz leased most of their cars aka at 32-36k miles they'd pull then off the lot and only use them in special circumstances...

Well with me driving 20-30k a month, sometimes more and taking these cars 2 months at a time, say the car had 10k on it already, I'd bring it back with 70k at which point they gotta pay for extra miles and take the car out of service after making pennies on that car before id proceed to rent another for 2 months lol (that's the limit before they turn it into a long term rental). After about two and a half years, I go to rent another car... im on the DNR (do not rent list) no one could tell me why, but I knew the reason deep down... it's safe to say I may have significantly contributed to hertz financial problems, and even if I didn't hey, they went bankrupt shortly after I stopped renting so... yeah... heck they had gotten a new fleet of a fuck ton of jaguars so they were like hey u want a jag (to the 20 year old kid) I was lime sure! Give me that brand new XF! 2 months later it had 75k miles out of service since it was a lease plus over mileage or forcing them to buy it back and try to sell used. Those were the good times!
First off, 666 - 1000 miles a day thirty days in a row is just insane!

Second, the first thing I thought of after reading your first sentence was that this story was going to end up with you being DNR-ed lol.

This is the best example of "malicious compliance" (in this case, with the unlimited miles) I've seen in a while. 😂 Not implying you did actually did this maliciously, by the way. I meant in the sense of the Sub Reddit. Hats off to you!
      05-03-2022, 09:22 PM   #57
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
First off, 666 - 1000 miles a day thirty days in a row is just insane!

Second, the first thing I thought of after reading your first sentence was that this story was going to end up with you being DNR-ed lol.

This is the best example of "malicious compliance" (in this case, with the unlimited miles) I've seen in a while. 😂 Not implying you did actually did this maliciously, by the way. I meant in the sense of the Sub Reddit. Hats off to you!
Lol yeah it wasn't every day, but I'd literally drive from south jersey to NYC then to DC back up to Central PA then Baltimore in like 1 night lol not always same places or in that order but to give an idea of what I was doing😅😅.

But hey unlimited is unlimited right? Sort of how tmobile when they first had their unlimited plan I had used almost 2 terabytes of data one month🤣🤣🤣 (unlimited Hotspot as well so I was just downloading games movies etc all day) I actually got canceled by att when the iPhone first came out due to them having a cheap ass unlimited program I was abusing for like 30$ unlimited talk text international and 4g data so I racked up thousands of minutes of international calls with relatives since everyone was using my phone, and a lot of data, they eventually refused to accept payment said I was in default and canceled my contract so I'd have to pay the new 70$ price🤣

Edit: geez I sound awful thinking back at myself now...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 09:29 PM   #58
vanos84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 BSM

I think that the reason people assume that the M5 depreciate so badly is because most owners use the piss out of them instead of taking them out for an occasional Sunday afternoon stroll as say... a Gt3RS owner might would do. Of course there is absolutely nothing wrong with driving a car daily. That's what they're made for. I just happen to not use mine in that way. I think that the stigma of the depreciation factor of these cars is very much related to that level of use. Regardless of how you drive it, one should always care for it properly!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 11:44 AM   #59
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanos84 View Post
I think that the reason people assume that the M5 depreciate so badly is because most owners use the piss out of them instead of taking them out for an occasional Sunday afternoon stroll as say... a Gt3RS owner might would do. Of course there is absolutely nothing wrong with driving a car daily. That's what they're made for. I just happen to not use mine in that way. I think that the stigma of the depreciation factor of these cars is very much related to that level of use. Regardless of how you drive it, one should always care for it properly!
This is a good point, but if you're leasing for 36K (as an example, but really for any term) the depreciation has already been decided for you in advance of the car's use — whether you drive the car hard or not. Most, if not no, dealers aren't going to make a differentiation as to whether it's been a "hard" 36K miles, or a "soft" 36K miles, other than perhaps offering you some trade equity if the trade is determined to be relatively "clean." It sounds like you own your car so this doesn't apply to you, but there are a lot of members who not only lease, but lease to be their DD.

I just had a bunch of scheduled service done at 28K. Standard scope, oil change, front axle service, rear axle service, transfer case service, and brake fluid service. And I am always on top of everything the car needs all the time, and take care of those requirements immediately when they arose. So I do take care of my car, but I certainly DD it, even though I own other cars. All this may mean the subsequent purchases who purchases it after my lease gets a "well taken care of" car, but the depreciation is the likely the same as a car who was not taken care of in this way.

But to your earlier point, a lot of owners don't do that, especially when they don't own the car. Mine gets driven hard (thought not abused by any means). But you never know. It's the reason why I would never get a used M5, or any comparable car for that matter. If I didn't have room in my budget for a new M5, I'd be going with something else that I could acquire new, even though such high depreciation makes the car much for affordable for a second owner.
      05-11-2022, 12:02 PM   #60
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
This is a good point, but if you're leasing for 36K (as an example, but really for any term) the depreciation has already been decided for you in advance of the car's use — whether you drive the car hard or not. Most, if not no, dealers aren't going to make a differentiation as to whether it's been a "hard" 36K miles, or a "soft" 36K miles, other than perhaps offering you some trade equity if the trade is determined to be relatively "clean." It sounds like you own your car so this doesn't apply to you, but there are a lot of members who not only lease, but lease to be their DD.

I just had a bunch of scheduled service done at 28K. Standard scope, oil change, front axle service, rear axle service, transfer case service, and brake fluid service. And I am always on top of everything the car needs all the time, and take care of those requirements immediately when they arose. So I do take care of my car, but I certainly DD it, even though I own other cars. All this may mean the subsequent purchases who purchases it after my lease gets a "well taken care of" car, but the depreciation is the likely the same as a car who was not taken care of in this way.

But to your earlier point, a lot of owners don't do that, especially when they don't own the car. Mine gets driven hard (thought not abused by any means). But you never know. It's the reason why I would never get a used M5, or any comparable car for that matter. If I didn't have room in my budget for a new M5, I'd be going with something else that I could acquire new, even though such high depreciation makes the car much for affordable for a second owner.
Just as an FYI, there is no lease program for the M5 CS through BMWFS.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2022, 12:16 PM   #61
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex_Stig View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Just as an FYI, there is no lease program for the M5 CS through BMWFS.
Sorry, this was very obviously the wrong thread to make this point on, and I am certainly not a CS owner. I was not even thinking about that. Silly me. Thanks for reminding me and being kind about it.

vanos84, please pardon my irrelevant and out of place interjection.
      05-11-2022, 06:33 PM   #62
vanos84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 BSM

Quote:
Sorry, this was very obviously the wrong thread to make this point on, and I am certainly not a CS owner. I was not even thinking about that. Silly me. Thanks for reminding me and being kind about it.

na, you're good. That's the exact point I was making. The heavy leasing of M5s(not CS) drives the depreciation cycle... and yes I do own mine. It seems we may have derailed the thread a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 07:59 PM   #63
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

na, you're good. That's the exact point I was making. The heavy leasing of M5s(not CS) drives the depreciation cycle... and yes I do own mine. It seems we may have derailed the thread a bit.
You are absolutely right about driving the cycle.

That was not our intent!