BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Frozen Brands Hatch Grey M5 CS Delivered

12-12-2021, 12:11 PM   #89
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAUDERRIPPER View Post
This is a MUST
Why?

Shawn
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2021, 01:08 PM   #90
fm379
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5 First Edition

Quote:
What happened w your ppf
Mine or Ex-Stig’s?

Mine came out nice. Did a full body PPF with Xpel Stealth on all the frozen paint, with Xpel ultimate on all the carbon fiber parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 01:15 PM   #91
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Stig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fm379 View Post
Quote:
I've noticed over the last 2 weeks that my M5CS exhaust has started to get a bit louder. I'm around 2,500 miles now, so I 'm really hoping it continues just a bit more for the next few thousand miles.
OK, that's good to know. With the break-in service well behind you now, have you tried really pushing the car? Launching it? How are you liking it? Hope everything worked out with the PPF installation in the end.
I've pushed it. It's loads of fun, but I miss the DCT over the slushbox. This is my first time with an AWD high performance vehicle so it's nice to not have wheel spin.

As for the PPF, I got a full refund from the shop and will be having a different place redo it at some point.
What happened w your ppf
Well, I don't want to air dirty laundry publicly. Let's just say that the installer had lots of difficulties. No damage to the car. But I need to have it entirely redone.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #92
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've noticed over the last 2 weeks that my M5CS exhaust has started to get a bit louder. I'm around 2,500 miles now, so I 'm really hoping it continues just a bit more for the next few thousand miles.
OK, that's good to know. With the break-in service well behind you now, have you tried really pushing the car? Launching it? How are you liking it? Hope everything worked out with the PPF installation in the end.
I've pushed it. It's loads of fun, but I miss the DCT over the slushbox. This is my first time with an AWD high performance vehicle so it's nice to not have wheel spin.

As for the PPF, I got a full refund from the shop and will be having a different place redo it at some point.
What happened w your ppf
Well, I don't want to air dirty laundry publicly. Let's just say that the installer had lots of difficulties. No damage to the car. But I need to have it entirely redone.
Shouldn't be that difficult? This is PPF done by a guy a block away from me in NJ.
Attached Images

12-12-2021, 04:15 PM   #93
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What happened w your ppf
Shouldn't be that difficult? This is PPF done by a guy a block away from me in NJ.
Detailer Domain? If so, my best friend since high school lives in Booton and just took his X7 there.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2021, 04:33 PM   #94
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Quote:
This is a MUST
Why?

Shawn
With frozen paint, it doesn't have the same "protection" the clear coat on a gloss car has; that extra layer does well to protect the base coat. When you detail a gloss car, you're usually messing around with the clear coat, and on a microscopic level you're taking down layers and adding on top with wax/ceramic.

Gloss diagram shows the imperfections in the clear, which can be filled in with waxes and the like, wheeled over and then even out that surface, bringing back your original shine.

The matte diagram shows that the light diffusing surfacing is microscopically "rough" and obviously you cannot and fill these imperfections in, as it will just make glossy patches and ruin the overall look.

As soon as a scratch, an etch(hard/acidic water, bird shit) comes into the matte surfacing, it may fill the marks in, but the paint will be ruined (not factory perfect). You cannot use clay, wax, or polish. Say you're in a parking lot for lunch, a bird takes a dump on it; it's a sunny day, once the etch has burnt in, unlike a gloss car which can be detailed, this will most likely permanently mark the matte car that cannot be corrected.

Soap and water are usually recommended to wash matte paint, and even certain soaps will start putting a "shine" into the paint if you use the wrong ones. Detail products for matte paint are limited, and usually with no wax or fillers so you can maintain your finish. A slight scuff (if you're particular about paint) will most likely require a professional to repaint that panel, can't go into a smaller specific spot like a gloss surface and just do the isolated area on matte paint.

If you slightly DENT a matte panel even, in gloss cases If the paint does look a little strange after the work is done, it can be corrected with a buffing tool, say if the tools marr the paint or the dent pulled affects the paint. Can't do that with matte. And i have personal experience where bumping a door into a low gate frame or object where the PPF has helped!

Come up to the rock chips, not really much you can do but repaint even in both cases of matte or gloss, but at least you have the possibility of using touch up paint and attempt to wheel out the imperfection. Can't do that with matte either.

Matte paint? Forget regular car washes, unless you're washing yourself, service is exclusive, or using new towels…for the 20 cars that came before you that day, who knows what kind of dirt and other scratchy bois hide in the drying towels/wash mits that will inevitably run over your $5,000 paint option? Does the guy getting paid 8$ an hour to wash and dry a BMW or a 16 year old Honda care about your paint?

FULL PPF on a frozen car allows peace of mind at the dealership, rock chip/bird Shit protection, it CAN be replaced easily or heal itself with warm water or the sun, why not protect your expensive ass vehicle?

TLDR: fully PPF your matte car because it makes life easier if you're picky about your paint.
Attached Images

12-12-2021, 08:39 PM   #95
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=Ex Stig;28353495][QUOTE=RAUDERRIPPER;28353441][QUOTE=Ex Stig;28352951]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Detailer Domain? If so, my best friend since high school lives in Booton and just took his X7 there.
No LC garage. But Detailers Domain is 100. Phil is a buddy of mine, he did full XPEL on my X5M.
      03-06-2023, 03:35 PM   #96
Leadraker
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 CS

Quote:
Just switched out the front reflectors. Here are a couple pics
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but any chance you remember where you got those color matched reflectors? Just got an M5 CS in the same spec and need to get mine swapped out!
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1834.00
      03-06-2023, 04:06 PM   #97
MrBee007
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadraker View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but any chance you remember where you got those color matched reflectors? Just got an M5 CS in the same spec and need to get mine swapped out!
https://ind-distribution.com/product...-reflector-set
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1834.00
      03-06-2023, 11:54 PM   #98
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

This M5 looks gorgeous. Great to see this thread resurface.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 05:02 PM   #99
Leadraker
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBee007 View Post
Thanks!
Appreciate 0