BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    M5 discounts

12-09-2022, 11:36 AM   #1
illirep
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

M5 discounts

I am curious what others are seeing. I've seen multiple dealers doing $10k to 10% off plus rebates. I'm interesting in buying one but how low will it go with economy doing what it is doing? My home dealer has had 3 available for 90+ days now and they are not selling. Also doesn't help that they spec them oddly...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 12:29 PM   #2
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

I know they certainly are not discounted in the Tampa area. I just finally got an allocation and I think it’s one of the last. At least that’s what they told me. I totally agree with you about them Specking them weirdly. That’s why I built my own.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 02:48 PM   #3
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

I've wondered about odd spec's myself. When dealers do them on their own, I've never seen one and thought "that's a good build." It always has some weird configuration... like they'll add everything but Bowers. They also pick the worst colors. Oh, gee, a white M5. How exciting. They seem to be built by someone at the dealer that doesn't really know or care about the M5 itself.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2022, 04:32 PM   #4
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

What are the rebates currently on an M5? Is it 10% off an ordered car or just the ones on the lot? 10% is a good discount even during normal times pre-Covid.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2022, 04:56 PM   #5
illirep
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

10% is discount
Rebate is $1500 additional
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2022, 06:19 PM   #6
mitch65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by illirep View Post
10% is discount
There is no rebate on the M5 this month, just $750 for Loyalty. The standard 5 series has the $1500 rebate
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 08:18 PM   #7
illirep
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch65 View Post
There is no rebate on the M5 this month, just $750 for Loyalty. The standard 5 series has the $1500 rebate
$1500 through USAA
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2022, 10:32 PM   #8
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
10% is discount
That's pretty legit. As others said, including AHall, I got either 11 or 12% off on my first one in October 2019, then basically MSRP in May/June 2022. Probably one of the more ideal color specs on both. 10% now isn't bad at all!

With that being said, even if you told me in May that I could get 10% off MSRP in December, I wouldn't have waited. I was lucky that the exact spec of my ordered car was sitting at a dealership, and after slightly protracted negotiations, I got to have the car immediately.
      12-10-2022, 09:51 AM   #9
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
That's pretty legit. As others said, including AHall, I got either 11 or 12% off on my first one in October 2019, then basically MSRP in May/June 2022. Probably one of the more ideal color specs on both. 10% now isn't bad at all!

With that being said, even if you told me in May that I could get 10% off MSRP in December, I wouldn't have waited. I was lucky that the exact spec of my ordered car was sitting at a dealership, and after slightly protracted negotiations, I got to have the car immediately.
I would love to film someone (secretly of course) walking into Tampa BMW, walk straight up to the general sales manager and announce to him that it’s their understanding there’s a 10% discount on M5’s. Now I know this man (the GSM) is pretty much a smart ass, so I suspect, depending on how clean the floor is where is standing when this person says this to him, that he would commence to laughing uncontrollably and then collapse on the floor.

Listen guys. I’ll be glad to pay a commission to anyone on this forum that can hook me up with a dealer within 1000 miles of Tampa that will give me a 10% discount with/and an allocation for an M5. One that will be built before March of course because mine that’s on order now will be. Thanks in advance.

I’m relatively new to buying luxury sports cars. I’ve only been doing it for the last four or five years I guess. My kids are grown up and college is taken care of so it’s more justifiable now. Having said that, I always read on this forum and over on the Porsche forum, that all these guys are getting discounts, or even paying MSRP for turbo S’s yet no matter where I search and how much time I spend on it I can never find dealerships doing these things. Honestly, it makes me feel like an idiot. I think of myself as a decent negotiator, but whenever I call any dealership, I just have bad luck. Let’s take my search for an M5 allocation for example. I have a very strong relationship with my local BMW and it took them two months and trading tons of other model allocations to another dealership to finally bag me an M5 allocation. I am paying MSRP for it. The word “discount” is not even in this dealerships vocabulary for anything especially M cars. Not today or this year I mean. The way the economy is going perhaps that will all change in the not too distant future but today there are no discounts at any BMW that I’m aware of. Same thing with the elusive turbo S. I gave up and just sold my Turbo S because I was waiting to get an allocation to build one to my own personal spec. It’s just not happening. There are no allocations and when you do find one it’s 50 K or 75K over MSRP. Unless of course you are on the Rennlist forum where many guys claim they are getting them at MSRP. I can’t find one at MSRP. This whole thing is rather frustrating. Anyway, sorry for the rant. I’m glad to be getting back in the BMW with an M5 that should be here by the end of February.
Appreciate 2
      12-10-2022, 10:56 AM   #10
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post

I would love to film someone (secretly of course) walking into Tampa BMW, walk straight up to the general sales manager and announce to him that it's their understanding there's a 10% discount on M5's. Now I know this man (the GSM) is pretty much a smart ass, so I suspect, depending on how clean the floor is where is standing when this person says this to him, that he would commence to laughing uncontrollably and then collapse on the floor.

Listen guys. I'll be glad to pay a commission to anyone on this forum that can hook me up with a dealer within 1000 miles of Tampa that will give me a 10% discount with/and an allocation for an M5. One that will be built before March of course because mine that's on order now will be. Thanks in advance.

I'm relatively new to buying luxury sports cars. I've only been doing it for the last four or five years I guess. My kids are grown up and college is taken care of so it's more justifiable now. Having said that, I always read on this forum and over on the Porsche forum, that all these guys are getting discounts, or even paying MSRP for turbo S's yet no matter where I search and how much time I spend on it I can never find dealerships doing these things. Honestly, it makes me feel like an idiot. I think of myself as a decent negotiator, but whenever I call any dealership, I just have bad luck. Let's take my search for an M5 allocation for example. I have a very strong relationship with my local BMW and it took them two months and trading tons of other model allocations to another dealership to finally bag me an M5 allocation. I am paying MSRP for it. The word "discount" is not even in this dealerships vocabulary for anything especially M cars. Not today or this year I mean. The way the economy is going perhaps that will all change in the not too distant future but today there are no discounts at any BMW that I'm aware of. Same thing with the elusive turbo S. I gave up and just sold my Turbo S because I was waiting to get an allocation to build one to my own personal spec. It's just not happening. There are no allocations and when you do find one it's 50 K or 75K over MSRP. Unless of course you are on the Rennlist forum where many guys claim they are getting them at MSRP. I can't find one at MSRP. This whole thing is rather frustrating. Anyway, sorry for the rant. I'm glad to be getting back in the BMW with an M5 that should be here by the end of February.
$50 to 75K ADM for high spec 911s still seems to be par for the course, especially if you don't have a preexisting relationship with the dealership and have not acquired other high spec cars from them. It seems like you have purchased at least one, and still can't get away from the ADM.

The BMW dealership that had my exact spec initially wanted $20K ADM when I called casually. Once they saw I was serious, they lowered that to $15K. It took 9 days of back and forth, but I essentially got it for MSRP at the end. Got decent trade value, but my flawless traded M5 had to be reduced by $1K/week for 8 or 9 consecutive weeks for them to sell it, and this was after already sitting for about a month.

Don't feel like an idiot! Some dealerships have been smart enough to come back to earth regarding ADMs and prices in general, and the ones that haven't yet will have to when the inventory glut inevitably comes — even if that still takes a significant amount of time. I doubt your experience is necessarily wholly about your negotiation skills.

For now, I'd still say it's somewhat pay to play. PMing you some suggestions now; no commission desired lol, would just love to help a fellow enthusiast.
      12-10-2022, 11:33 AM   #11
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
I've wondered about odd spec's myself. When dealers do them on their own, I've never seen one and thought "that's a good build." It always has some weird configuration... like they'll add everything but Bowers. They also pick the worst colors. Oh, gee, a white M5. How exciting. They seem to be built by someone at the dealer that doesn't really know or care about the M5 itself.
"They seem to be built by someone at the dealer that doesn't really know or care about the M5 itself."

I've always thought this myself. I suppose each dealership employee can't be an enthusiast for any given particular model, but I'd like to think M cars are spec'ed by someone who loves them like we do.
      12-10-2022, 07:01 PM   #12
illirep
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Neither my northeast dealer or SC Porsche dealers sell anything over msrp. I turned down a turbo s coupe at msrp last month.

Florida and California dealers are going to try and keep the gravy train alive as long as possible. Sorry to say, but it is over in most cars.

Quote:
I would love to film someone (secretly of course) walking into Tampa BMW, walk straight up to the general sales manager and announce to him that it’s their understanding there’s a 10% discount on M5’s. Now I know this man (the GSM) is pretty much a smart ass, so I suspect, depending on how clean the floor is where is standing when this person says this to him, that he would commence to laughing uncontrollably and then collapse on the floor.

Listen guys. I’ll be glad to pay a commission to anyone on this forum that can hook me up with a dealer within 1000 miles of Tampa that will give me a 10% discount with/and an allocation for an M5. One that will be built before March of course because mine that’s on order now will be. Thanks in advance.

I’m relatively new to buying luxury sports cars. I’ve only been doing it for the last four or five years I guess. My kids are grown up and college is taken care of so it’s more justifiable now. Having said that, I always read on this forum and over on the Porsche forum, that all these guys are getting discounts, or even paying MSRP for turbo S’s yet no matter where I search and how much time I spend on it I can never find dealerships doing these things. Honestly, it makes me feel like an idiot. I think of myself as a decent negotiator, but whenever I call any dealership, I just have bad luck. Let’s take my search for an M5 allocation for example. I have a very strong relationship with my local BMW and it took them two months and trading tons of other model allocations to another dealership to finally bag me an M5 allocation. I am paying MSRP for it. The word “discount” is not even in this dealerships vocabulary for anything especially M cars. Not today or this year I mean. The way the economy is going perhaps that will all change in the not too distant future but today there are no discounts at any BMW that I’m aware of. Same thing with the elusive turbo S. I gave up and just sold my Turbo S because I was waiting to get an allocation to build one to my own personal spec. It’s just not happening. There are no allocations and when you do find one it’s 50 K or 75K over MSRP. Unless of course you are on the Rennlist forum where many guys claim they are getting them at MSRP. I can’t find one at MSRP. This whole thing is rather frustrating. Anyway, sorry for the rant. I’m glad to be getting back in the BMW with an M5 that should be here by the end of February.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 07:19 PM   #13
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Neither my northeast dealer or SC Porsche dealers sell anything over msrp. I turned down a turbo s coupe at msrp last month.

Florida and California dealers are going to try and keep the gravy train alive as long as possible. Sorry to say, but it is over in most cars.

Quote:

That is awesome!
      12-10-2022, 07:20 PM   #14
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

My dealer doesn't do over MSRP. I've had so many bad dealer experiences, I've stayed on top of the build and communicating with Genius, thinking he forgot to this or that... but so far everything has been completely straight and just ended up proving me paranoid the whole time. Now when I go to do financing, I'll find out the rest I suppose, but as far as a CA goes, he's been pretty damned good (he's one of BMW's old guard, too). Did PCD without a single bit of resistance, as well. He seems pretty low energy at first, but he's really just efficient and does his job without any fluff or flair.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 10:51 PM   #15
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
My dealer doesn't do over MSRP. I've had so many bad dealer experiences, I've stayed on top of the build and communicating with Genius, thinking he forgot to this or that... but so far everything has been completely straight and just ended up proving me paranoid the whole time. Now when I go to do financing, I'll find out the rest I suppose, but as far as a CA goes, he's been pretty damned good (he's one of BMW's old guard, too). Did PCD without a single bit of resistance, as well. He seems pretty low energy at first, but he's really just efficient and does his job without any fluff or flair.
I did tell ya lol. Also have you had other dealerships fight with you on the pcd? I mean I get it's a lot of paperwork and stuff but that's about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 05:51 AM   #16
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Nah I've never even tried PCD. Like the carbon and MPE, I didn't even know it existed the first time around. However, I did see that recent thread where some brought up dealers that push back against it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 06:06 AM   #17
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nah I've never even tried PCD. Like the carbon and MPE, I didn't even know it existed the first time around. However, I did see that recent thread where some brought up dealers that push back against it.
Gotcha, I'd say pcd isn't really worth it, the driving part really is meh, except for maybe the off-road part, but the factory tour is interesting, plus everyone drooling over your car is fun😁.

As for the carbon and mpe and other options it's why I always look up ordering guides myself to see what's possible before even going to the dealer lol, I've walked away from sooo many that told me shit wasn't available or not possible, I was like ok, thanks, call if it becomes possible, in the mean time I'll look elsewhere. (After knowing for a fact it is possible lol)
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1301.50
      12-11-2022, 06:12 AM   #18
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

I got PCD mainly because I didn't really know where else to send it. I wasn't about to have it sent to my local dealer's lot so they could put their grubby hands on it.
Appreciate 1
micvite1540.00
      12-11-2022, 08:08 AM   #19
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Yeah well I know the GM and my boos is friends with the owner of the Charleston SC Porsche and they are getting ZERO allocations outside of a couple and those definitely have ADMs. Here is my question. Obviously, these guys can easily get ADMs (at least for now) so why would they offer one to you (or anyone) at a loss by selling it without an ADM? That makes no sense ad is not what I’m finding ANYWHERE in the 48 lower states.

Edit- Im also close to a Maryland Porsche dealer. That’s where I bought my first Turbo S. My salesman is promising an MSRP car some time in the future but they are getting ZERO allocations also. I do believe when things stabilize i will get one at MSRP there. The Florida dealers have 5 years worth of wait lists at normal production. They will have ADMs for the foreseeable future.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 07:20 PM   #20
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I got PCD mainly because I didn't really know where else to send it. I wasn't about to have it sent to my local dealer's lot so they could put their grubby hands on it.
Fair enough haha, I don't trust any dealer and I'd hope the pcd guys are trained slightly better at not screwing up stuff... you'd be surprised the kind of stuff I see in a dealership showroom
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1301.50
      12-11-2022, 07:49 PM   #21
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

My previous M5, they put a giant, clearcoat-scratching bow on the hood. Had to be "corrected."
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2022, 12:27 AM   #22
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My previous M5, they put a giant, clearcoat-scratching bow on the hood. Had to be "corrected."
Love those! The main issue is dealers aren't made for the car enthusiast they're made for the oooo shiny new car with a bow on it people
Appreciate 2