BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    BMW Genius - Anything but, or actively concealing order information?

04-05-2022, 02:31 PM   #45
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zb2603 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@AAM5 Oh yeah, gotta love those folks lol. I will definitely keep you posted as we go along please feel free to do the same. 🙌🏻
Will do!
So I was out at dinner three hours ago and my CA sent this text.

I then went onto the website to see it myself as well lol. I have officially moved onto 112 after 5 weeks.

Ps. Don't mind the color its not the actual
Congratulations! So happy for you!
Thank you! Now we are both at 112 hopefully we will both go into production at the same time lol. The CA also said "Should expect it on the line very soon" so we shall see
That's three of us at 112!
Just went backwards from 112 to order received. : Waiting for updates from CA and BMW NA.
Missed a call from BMW NA HQ in NJ this morning. Called them back and was told I had a Week 21 (May 22-28) production week. Apparently the reason for the reversion in status was because BMW changed the factory my car was going to be built at. When the different factory "accepted" that they would build my car, the system changed the status to order received because it was now "received" at the new factory. I was under the assumption that all M5s are built at Dingolfing. I asked the CSR and he would not/could not confirm or deny this. I know that plant closed briefly last month (as confirmed by a BMW NA press release) but that production resumed less than a couple of weeks later.

I don't know that I believe any of what I was told, but, for what it's worth, my build week before all this was the first week of May (Week 19), and my "confirmed production date" was May 19.

So, despite the status reversion, my dates haven't actually changed too much.
      04-05-2022, 02:58 PM   #46
zb2603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i, 2022 BMW 540i

Garage List
2022 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@AAM5 Oh yeah, gotta love those folks lol. I will definitely keep you posted as we go along please feel free to do the same. 🙌🏻
Will do!

I then went onto the website to see it myself as well lol. I have officially moved onto 112 after 5 weeks.

Thank you! Now we are both at 112 hopefully we will both go into production at the same time lol. The CA also said "Should expect it on the line very soon" so we shall see
Just went backwards from 112 to order received. : Waiting for updates from CA and BMW NA.
Missed a call from BMW NA HQ in NJ this morning. Called them back and was told I had a Week 21 (May 22-28) production week. Apparently the reason for the reversion in status was because BMW changed the factory my car was going to be built at. When the different factory "accepted" that they would build my car, the system changed the status to order received because it was now "received" at the new factory. I was under the assumption that all M5s are built at Dingolfing. I asked the CSR and he would not/could not confirm or deny this. I know that plant closed briefly last month (as confirmed by a BMW NA press release) but that production resumed less than a couple of weeks later.

I don't know that I believe any of what I was told, but, for what it's worth, my build week before all this was the first week of May (Week 19), and my "confirmed production date" was May 19.

Thank you for the update. So everything is according to schedule (knock on wood). So since it got reverted back to 111 did they tell you potentially when it would progress again to 112?

On a separate note, did you do individual interior or paint? If you did maybe they moved the entire batch for your color to Week 21. Just throwing the idea out there, because in my case they pushed it 11 weeks straight and not in increments of 1-2 weeks like some other members experienced.
Appreciate 1
KB30052.00
      04-05-2022, 03:45 PM   #47
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Will do!

Thank you for the update. So everything is according to schedule (knock on wood). So since it got reverted back to 111 did they tell you potentially when it would progress again to 112?

On a separate note, did you do individual interior or paint? If you did maybe they moved the entire batch for your color to Week 21. Just throwing the idea out there, because in my case they pushed it 11 weeks straight and not in increments of 1-2 weeks like some other members experienced.
So it seems, thank you! The person I spoke with did not provide any timeline on advancing through status codes even though I asked. According to Moserkm (just giving credit where credit is due!), "112 would be 3 weeks before build week and then 150 1 week before build week." He has confirmed his source for this info is reliable.

No individual interior or paint here…BSM over Black Merino leather with black 706M wheels. I spec all my cars with this color combo. So I don't think the delay is attributable to those increased build time type of options. What individual selections did you go with?
zb26031055.50
      04-05-2022, 05:54 PM   #48
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X7, '22 M5C, '21 Ram

Quote:

See, I was told my week 22 was starting 23 May. Wish we could all get consistent answers. Not from you, from BMW. Not that it matters anyway. I'm not even checking everyday because between codes rolling forward and back and the looming thought that production will cease early and my order will transition to a 2023. I'm not usually a pessimist, but lack of information, lack of consistent information and the production delays and combine to make me one right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 06:00 PM   #49
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moserkm View Post
Quote:

See, I was told my week 22 was starting 23 May. Wish we could all get consistent answers. Not from you, from BMW. Not that it matters anyway. I'm not even checking everyday because between codes rolling forward and back and the looming thought that production will cease early and my order will transition to a 2023. I'm not usually a pessimist, but lack of information, lack of consistent information and the production delays and combine to make me one right now.
At least your dates and numbers line up and make sense, week 22 of the year is in fact the week of May 23rd. As you said, we're all kinda guessing here, but to me that's somewhat of a positive sign. Mine obviously do not; that is, week 19 is actually May 1st. Perhaps some of this discrepancy can be attributed to the fact that no one can say with certainty that the production week is when the production period starts or finishes, since they say it's 2 to 3 weeks for production to be complete. Though I'm not really sure who "they" is lol. I have been told both, numerous times, by different Geniuses.

I didn't even begin to consider production ceasing early. That may be as bad as a carrier ship fire.

By the way, I agree with you. Not a pessimist, but this is the perfect storm of circumstances for continued excessive delays. Hope we all get our cars soon!
      04-05-2022, 06:15 PM   #50
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

For me this would be a red flag. I would want my car assembled at the same place they have been assembling these cars for years. Bad things usually happen when manufacturing locations/people are changed.
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2022, 06:20 PM   #51
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

When I bought my 2020 M550 the BMW "Genius" showed me how the rear window power shade worked, then tried for 10 to 15 minutes trying to get the rear seat pass/driver window shades to power up and down.
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2022, 07:06 PM   #52
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
For me this would be a red flag. I would want my car assembled at the same place they have been assembling these cars for years. Bad things usually happen when manufacturing locations/people are changed.
This is an excellent point. Thank you for your insight! I am going to raise this first thing in the morning with my dealer's GM.
      04-05-2022, 07:09 PM   #53
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkHealer View Post
When I bought my 2020 M550 the BMW "Genius" showed me how the rear window power shade worked, then tried for 10 to 15 minutes trying to get the rear seat pass/driver window shades to power up and down.
Lol thanks for sharing this. I needed a chuckle! I always wish those were also powered like the rear!
      04-05-2022, 09:14 PM   #54
zb2603
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Will do!

So it seems, thank you! The person I spoke with did not provide any timeline on advancing through status codes even though I asked. According to Moserkm (just giving credit where credit is due!), "112 would be 3 weeks before build week and then 150 1 week before build week." He has confirmed his source for this info is reliable.

No individual interior or paint here…BSM over Black Merino leather with black 706M wheels. I spec all my cars with this color combo. So I don't think the delay is attributable to those increased build time type of options. What individual selections did you go with?
I think you are referring to the post I have made earlier at the beginning of this tread 😂 and yes he is credible, he posts regularly on the G80/82 Build Week forums and keeps everyone posted also lets the members know when the allocations for G80/82 are announced.

I appreciate the black on black on black look so does a lot of people so I see why you took that particular route. It will be a very aggressive looking car and I'm excited for you. I usually like cars that are different tones of silver and gray. Since there are so many gray and silver M5s rolling around in town wanted to do something different. I saw a press car at the launch and thought looked very different. I also couldn't find much about it on the Individual Color thread so decided to go with it. The paint is called malachite green metallic.

Here are two pictures of it at different lighting:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 09:20 PM   #55
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Will do!

No individual interior or paint here…BSM over Black Merino leather with black 706M wheels. I spec all my M cars with this color combo. So I don't think the delay is attributable to those increased build time type of options. What individual selections did you go with?
I think you are referring to the post I have made earlier at the beginning of this tread 😂 and yes he is credible, he posts regularly on the G80/82 Build Week forums and keeps everyone posted also lets the members know when the allocations for G80/82 are announced.

I appreciate the black on black on black look so does a lot of people so I see why you took that particular route. It will be a very aggressive looking car and I'm excited for you. I usually like cars that are different tones of silver and gray. Since there are so many gray and silver M5s rolling around in town wanted to do something different. I saw a press car at the launch and thought looked very different. I also couldn't find much about it on the Individual Color thread so decided to go with it. The paint is called malachite green metallic.

Ahhhh I'm sorry I crossed threads in my head here and made a mistake when I went back to see where I heard that from! Obviously I did not mean to spout the same info back to you! My brain was focused on the info I'd just received from the CSR 😔

I think that color combo makes the car look special and aggressive, while still keeping it somewhat of a sleeper. Obviously a lot on here really customize their vehicles and would disagree, and I've seen some spectacular builds on the forum, and some incredible Individual colors, needless to say. I have another (non-BMW/non M) vehicle one might describe as eye catching, so the M5 is the yin to the other's yang if you will. It's my discreet DD. I actually considered Donnington Grey this time, but kept my classic look in the end. Also, the all black look looks more "executive," and I need this car to look that way (for professional use reasons).

I'm pretty sure I once saw this color on an M4 at a BMW HPDE last year and I can tell you that it was the star of the show. Digging through some pictures soon to see if that was in fact it. It's a gorgeous color! And I love the uniquity of it amongst the sea of monochromatic M5s as you said. Much nicer spectrum that Boston Green or British Racing Green, IMO. Did you go Individual on the interior as well? So excited for you and hope you progress along to production very soon!

Again my most sincere apologies for flubbing the attribution in my previous post! It was YOU that provided the info and confirmed it was reliable. It was an honest mistake. Thanks for not giving me a hard time for it!
KB30052.00
      04-05-2022, 10:30 PM   #56
zb2603
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Will do!

No individual interior or paint here…BSM over Black Merino leather with black 706M wheels. I spec all my M cars with this color combo. So I don't think the delay is attributable to those increased build time type of options. What individual selections did you go with?

Ahhhh I'm sorry I crossed threads in my head here and made a mistake when I went back to see where I heard that from! Obviously I did not mean to spout the same info back to you! My brain was focused on the info I'd just received from the CSR 😔

I think that color combo makes the car look special and aggressive, while still keeping it somewhat of a sleeper. Obviously a lot on here really customize their vehicles and would disagree, and I've seen some spectacular builds on the forum, and some incredible Individual colors, needless to say. I have another (non-BMW/non M) vehicle one might describe as eye catching, so the M5 is the yin to the other's yang if you will. It's my discreet DD. I actually considered Donnington Grey this time, but kept my classic look in the end. Also, the all black look looks more "executive," and I need this car to look that way (for professional use reasons).

I'm pretty sure I once saw this color on an M4 at a BMW HPDE last year and I can tell you that it was the star of the show. Digging through some pictures soon to see if that was in fact it. It's a gorgeous color! And I love the uniquity of it amongst the sea of monochromatic M5s as you said. Much nicer spectrum that Boston Green or British Racing Green, IMO. Did you go Individual on the interior as well? So excited for you and hope you progress along to production very soon!

Again my most sincere apologies for flubbing the attribution in my previous post! It was YOU that provided the info and confirmed it was reliable. It was an honest mistake. Thanks for not giving me a hard time for it!
Haha I'm just joking around no need for the sorry, you're good. As long as we have somewhat of accurate info doesn't matter who it comes from. Got jealous of the credit. The master student in me kicked in lol, even though its petty for someone who is now 26 🤣🤣🤣, I'm glad that it actually stuck with you because there is so much stuff floating around and happy that we were able to find something sensible.

I see where you're coming from with the "sleeper" look. I think it's a if you know you know look that is really low key. To each its own, at the end of the day as long as you love what you have/getting its all that matters. There are some really opinionated folks out there, to a point sometimes it becomes toxic but its just background noise. I love that the M5 is the yin in the equation, speaks for the yang. I see where you're coming from with the "executive" look. The business car in my case is a graphite MY22 540i, blends right in thats why I wanted to go with a "loud car".

If you ever come across it please feel free to share it. I looked at a couple of shades of green, Boston was really bluish, Irish was a little pale, BRG was a little flat for my taste, Verde Ermes was a really cool one but looked too green even in the shade and Java Green was way too green. If I was to buy a X5M, I would 100% get it in Java Green though. Hopefully both of our cars progress fairly quickly with no delays🙌🏻 I was going to do Tartufo for interior but for some reason last minute I decided to stick to Aragon Brown Full. For some reason the orange ish tone worked for me better with black lines on the exterior and felt sportier than Tartufo. I absolutely adore Tartufo though I think its absolutely gorgeous. So besides the exterior everything else is standard. Opted for 789 wheels, dark carbon trim, red calipers (no CCB) so pretty standard.

Dude I would never blast anyone for something like that. We are all enthusiast sharing experiences/opinions in a civil manner (at least for the most part)
Appreciate 1
KB30052.00
      04-06-2022, 06:52 PM   #57
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep

Quote:
Amen to that. Would love to hear confirmation one way or the other. If they are temporarily building in a different factory, that’s reason enough for me to delay my order until the ‘23s come out.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 09:03 PM   #58
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Will do!

Haha I'm just joking around no need for the sorry, you're good. As long as we have somewhat of accurate info doesn't matter who it comes from. Got jealous of the credit. The master student in me kicked in lol, even though its petty for someone who is now 26 🤣🤣🤣, I'm glad that it actually stuck with you because there is so much stuff floating around and happy that we were able to find something sensible.

I see where you're coming from with the "sleeper" look. I think it's a if you know you know look that is really low key. To each its own, at the end of the day as long as you love what you have/getting its all that matters. There are some really opinionated folks out there, to a point sometimes it becomes toxic but its just background noise. I love that the M5 is the yin in the equation, speaks for the yang. I see where you're coming from with the "executive" look. The business car in my case is a graphite MY22 540i, blends right in thats why I wanted to go with a "loud car".

If you ever come across it please feel free to share it. I looked at a couple of shades of green, Boston was really bluish, Irish was a little pale, BRG was a little flat for my taste, Verde Ermes was a really cool one but looked too green even in the shade and Java Green was way too green. If I was to buy a X5M, I would 100% get it in Java Green though. Hopefully both of our cars progress fairly quickly with no delays🙌🏻 I was going to do Tartufo for interior but for some reason last minute I decided to stick to Aragon Brown Full. For some reason the orange ish tone worked for me better with black lines on the exterior and felt sportier than Tartufo. I absolutely adore Tartufo though I think its absolutely gorgeous. So besides the exterior everything else is standard. Opted for 789 wheels, dark carbon trim, red calipers (no CCB) so pretty standard.

Dude I would never blast anyone for something like that. We are all enthusiast sharing experiences/opinions in a civil manner (at least for the most part)
Agreed, accurate info is too hard to come by as we're all seeing and it definitely stuck! The M5 is definitely the yin lol. 540 is perfect for executive duty. A firm I once worked with actually used it to shuttle UHNW clients around.

I think Aragon will suit your Individual color beautifully!

I also specced red calipers and dark carbon aluminum trim - beware it scratches VERY easily! My driver door inset piece always seems to catch my watch or my cufflinks or a zipper from an open jacket, suit jacket buttons, etc. The sliding cup holder cover is very easy to knick and dent, and so is the iDrive controller surround. If I were keeping this car much longer, I'd have replaced all those pieces. It just makes my otherwise immaculate car look unkempt.

I couldn't find the photos, but I did reach out to a fellow M5 owner who was there to see if he has it in his photos.

Thanks again for the civility and the kindness! Hoping you get you car very soon! Keep us posted!
      04-06-2022, 09:06 PM   #59
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Amen to that. Would love to hear confirmation one way or the other. If they are temporarily building in a different factory, that’s reason enough for me to delay my order until the ‘23s come out.
Quote:
Quote:
Amen to that. Would love to hear confirmation one way or the other. If they are temporarily building in a different factory, that's reason enough for me to delay my order until the '23s come out.
No confirmation yet, but I will post once I find out more. Even without speaking to my dealer, Based on AHall's comment, I will also certainly delay if production doesn't occur at Dingolfing.
      04-06-2022, 09:51 PM   #60
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, accurate info is too hard to come by as we're all seeing and it definitely stuck! The M5 is definitely the yin lol. 540 is perfect for executive duty. A firm I once worked with actually used it to shuttle UHNW clients around.

I also specced red calipers and dark carbon aluminum trim - beware it scratches VERY easily! My driver door inset piece always seems to catch my watch or my cufflinks or a zipper from an open jacket, suit jacket buttons, etc. The sliding cup holder cover is very easy to knick and dent, and so is the iDrive controller surround. If I were keeping this car much longer, I'd have replaced all those pieces. It just makes my otherwise immaculate car look unkempt.

I couldn't find the photos, but I did reach out to a fellow M5 owner who was there to see if he has it in his photos.

Thanks again for the civility and the kindness! Hoping you get you car very soon! Keep us posted!
I also got the dark carbon. Curious to know more about the sensitivity to scratching.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 10:21 PM   #61
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I also got the dark carbon. Curious to know more about the sensitivity to scratching.
The door insert pieces are the worst for me. No matter how careful I am, I will always get hairline scratches. More forceful brushes will leave an indentation. Once you have a break in the weave, subsequent contact will exacerbate them. If you ever roll your window down and keep your arm out/over the slot the window drops into, it'll scratch.

I put a thin no slip grippy mat for my phone on top of the retractable cup holder cover. It's thin enough that the cover will slide open without catching or getting stuck. I have a very thin coiled lightning cable in the USB plug by the cup holders. It's thin enough to come out of the retractable cover gap while still keeping the retractable cover closed. I do this because I like to not have messy cables around and I like to be able to see my phone screen, and the charging tray doesn't allow me to do that fully do that (plus it forces you to keep your display in landscape mode which starts messing with apps that don't have proper native support for landscape). I like this for Apple Music when I am not using CarPlay, for Dragy monitoring, and to be able to preview notifications (while stopped at a traffic light of course). Just the lightning connector flailing around when I unplug my phone, before I pick it up, has caused dozens of tiny dimples, which as I noted above, start small then have a cumulative effect of getting worse with subsequent contact to an existing dimple. It also scratches it like crazy, very easily. Don't even think about momentarily setting down your phone, EZPass, sunglasses, whatever on it!

As for the iDrive surround, bracelets, watches on your right hand, cuff tightening rivets on winter coats, etc. knick and dimple and scratch as well. If your passenger has any metal rivets, like on jeans, any light brush against the trim will dimple and scratch it.

One more note…I use a very talented and masterful detailer who hand washes the car with utmost care and concern weekly. It's never seen a full service automated/tunnel/touch/soft cloth type car wash. If you do go to one of those places, use a clean microfiber towel to wipe the dust off of the trim yourself and instruct them clearly NOT to wipe it down. The cheap blue car wash towels are way too rough for the surface (even if absolutely clean, which, of course, they never are). Even a single granule of sand from the dirty towel will get caught in the slightly 3D texture of the trim, and….you guessed it: dimple, knick and scratch it. Also, never let them put the vacuum nozzle head against it. The plastic on the opening of the mouth is always chipped or marred, and the sharp edges will scratch the hell out of it. All of this of course applies if you wash it yourself.

If you breathe on this the wrong way, you'll get imperfections, and very quickly. There are the type of people who say, it's a car, it's going to get used, and probably messed up in some places by that use. I agree with them, but I'm anal and still do everything I can to protect my car and keep it nice. If you're the type that just wants to "live," and at the end of the day, it's a car so you're going to do just that, it may not bother you. But my car is otherwise immaculate and it irritates the hell out of me.

P.S., I am still doing the research on this, and am certainly no expert on the topic as other forum members are, but I'm trying to see if a ceramic coating will help on my incoming car. I'm just concerned it will detract from the slightly tactile feeling of the trim and that it may not coat evenly because of the (slight) peaks and valleys of the material.

Sorry if this ended up sounding like a diatribe. I think I've been holding all this frustration in for a couple years. This has certainly been cathartic lol.
Moserkm163.00
      04-07-2022, 09:30 PM   #62
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep

Thanks for the details. I doubt the ceramic will do much and could end up being uneven. I would consider a high quality but thin ppf but it would have to be cut perfectly. I too am very anal about keeping a car perfect. I would struggle with any ding on it. I may just have to go with another trim type. My wife has the black rough wood trim in her X7 and it’s nice too. I was only considering the carbon because I have carbon fiber mirrors and side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 09:34 PM   #63
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the details. I doubt the ceramic will do much and could end up being uneven. I would consider a high quality but thin ppf but it would have to be cut perfectly. I too am very anal about keeping a car perfect. I would struggle with any ding on it. I may just have to go with another trim type. My wife has the black rough wood trim in her X7 and it's nice too. I was only considering the carbon because I have carbon fiber mirrors and side skirts.

You're welcome! It sounds like you are like me…and, you will have to work very hard to keep the trim pristine. With all this being said, despite knowing how sensitive it is, I ordered it again because the overall appearance of this trim over a triple black color spec like mine looks amazing.

I like the PPF idea. I'm going to run it by my Xpel installer and I will let you know what he says. I could be mistaken, but I do not believe that trim is available on the M5 (at least not in the US). The closest thing to that wood is probably Fine Line Ridge Wood. I would note though that it is not porous like the X7 trim you mentioned. It is wood, but it is high polished and certainly not porous.

P.S. If you're considering other trim options and are looking for resiliency, the individual Piano Black trim is also susceptible to faint scratching like in the attached photo, and may be one to avoid. There are products that claim to remove scratches from the piano black trim, but all those products do is eat away at the clear coat over the trim (which is the layer the scratches are on). You can only do that so many times before you eat away at all of it, exposing the raw trim and then getting actual (not just surface) scratches.
Attached Images

04-19-2022, 07:43 PM   #64
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
@Moserkm, Xpel installer advised against the PPF as it won't bond properly to such a tactile surface, and that's after creating a perfect template to use for it. I didn't ask, but I'm guessing when they apply PPF to other carbon fiber surfaces, those surfaces must be completely smooth. I could be totally wrong about this, there are numerous people on this forum more knowledgeable than me on PPF and it's idiosyncrasies.
      04-19-2022, 09:04 PM   #65
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep

Quote:
@Moserkm, Xpel installer advised against the PPF as it won't bond properly to such a tactile surface, and that's after creating a perfect template to use for it. I didn't ask, but I'm guessing when they apply PPF to other carbon fiber surfaces, those surfaces must be completely smooth. I could be totally wrong about this, there are numerous people on this forum more knowledgeable than me on PPF and it's idiosyncrasies.
Makes sense. There can’t be any air under the ppf and that is probably impossible to do on it.

Thanks for the update. I’ll probably just stick with the dark CF. There aren’t many options. Maybe I can find a lacquer for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 09:44 PM   #66
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Makes sense. There can't be any air under the ppf and that is probably impossible to do on it.

Thanks for the update. I'll probably just stick with the dark CF. There aren't many options. Maybe I can find a lacquer for it.
You're welcome! There's definitely no way to get that surface without air in the valleys. However, it's gorgeous and I'm glad I stuck with it as well despite all of this. I'm researching other protection methods as well still. Will update you when I find a better solution.

Please let me know if you come across anything!