BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Limit on LC?

03-11-2021, 08:45 AM   #155
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Hello,

You guys can take this for what you will, but I contacted BMW NA Customer Service about this limit and asked the question. Is there a limit on the number of launches on the 2021 BMW M5 competition? They response was overlooked in my email until this morning when I was searching my email for something else. They responded back March 3, 2021 in the form of a letter from BMW Group. There is not limit on the number of launches. They letter does state launches do cause a very heavy load on the vehicle and also launch control should not be used during the break in period. Also stuff on operating temperature, steering etc.

So there it is in black in white from BMW Group.
You asked the wrong question. As I've said a number of times, the car still shows Launch Control and the flag in the gauge cluster and it still shifts for you, etc., so their answer is technically correct. The question is whether the transmission continues using the special shift mode—known as quick shift 3 I think—after some predetermined number of launches. The answer to that question is, "no, it doesn't".

Note there's another thread where someone found the limit documented in the vehicle's user manual—I think it was for an X3M.
What is the correct question phrased in a way someone at BMW NA will understand and be able to get the answer instead of all this ambiguity? Someone posted on the M4/M3 board the number is now limited to 50. The transmission uses a different shift pattern that then changes to something called quick shift 3 after x number of launches? If you know the right question ask it. They seem to be willing to answer questions.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 09:57 AM   #156
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

I doubt we are ever going to get BMW to admit that they hobble the car after so many launches. The aforementioned owner’s manual admission was for an X1, actually, unless I am mistaken. So, not an “M car”. I suspect that, being as they know full well that M car owners are going to be much more likely to use LC than owners of other regular BMWs, they also know that this admission would not go over well.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #157
CharlieBronsonF90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5

I just bought my 21 a few weeks ago. Not going to lie, this is really a bummer. I came out of a 17 CTSV with 640 stock hp. I launched it daily. No limit on the number of launches and no limitation in terms of back to back to launches. Not sure how GM can achieve this while BMW can't. I know the mechanical components are different, but perhaps bmw should have engineered a method to allow unlimited/back to back launches. The Cadillac has more hp had torque🤷🏻Such a disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 11:49 AM   #158
SigForLife
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Quote:
Hello,

You guys can take this for what you will, but I contacted BMW NA Customer Service about this limit and asked the question. Is there a limit on the number of launches on the 2021 BMW M5 competition? They response was overlooked in my email until this morning when I was searching my email for something else. They responded back March 3, 2021 in the form of a letter from BMW Group. There is not limit on the number of launches. They letter does state launches do cause a very heavy load on the vehicle and also launch control should not be used during the break in period. Also stuff on operating temperature, steering etc.

Would you mind posting a screenshot of the email?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #159
CharlieBronsonF90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5

Quote:
Quote:
Hello,

You asked the wrong question. As I've said a number of times, the car still shows Launch Control and the flag in the gauge cluster and it still shifts for you, etc., so their answer is technically correct. The question is whether the transmission continues using the special shift mode—known as quick shift 3 I think—after some predetermined number of launches. The answer to that question is, "no, it doesn't".

Note there's another thread where someone found the limit documented in the vehicle's user manual—I think it was for an X3M.
This☝🏻
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 01:42 PM   #160
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Name:  Letter.PNG
Views: 731
Size:  41.9 KB

See letter
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 03:18 PM   #161
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
What is the correct question phrased in a way someone at BMW NA will understand and be able to get the answer instead of all this ambiguity? Someone posted on the M4/M3 board the number is now limited to 50. The transmission uses a different shift pattern that then changes to something called quick shift 3 after x number of launches? If you know the right question ask it. They seem to be willing to answer questions.
For me, there is no ambiguity--I've burned through the launches on 2 x F90s (M5) and an F93 (M8)... all Comps. As far as I know, my original post on this topic some 2 years back was the first mention of it on the forums. Many (most?) refuted my claims and many still do... presumably because they couldn't/can't tell the difference between the shift patterns (pattern being the "very engineering-esque" term that I used to describe them collectively way back when). It finally seems that others are noticing the same thing I did... so no ambiguity as to whether this is a "thing".

The term "quick shift" was something I learned from the BMW NA Corp technician. I was curious at the time and I asked him to elaborate which is when I learned--and later posted--about QS1, QS2 and QS3. That same tech told me and showed me the launch limit and my launch counter (via a screenshot of some diagnostic equipment)--both were at 100. Of course, that doesn't mean it isn't perhaps different now or different depending on the engine, etc.

To the topic at hand: the question to ask is pretty much what I posted earlier. I've no interest in asking them. Here's another phrasing if you are:

"Does the ZF transmission in the current (MYs 19, 20 and 21) BMW M5/M8 use a lesser/restricted shift mode--one that takes longer to shift between gears during Launch Control launches--after some predetermined number of launches?"
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2021, 09:19 PM   #162
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
For me, there is no ambiguity--I've burned through the launches on 2 x F90s (M5) and an F93 (M8)... all Comps. As far as I know, my original post on this topic some 2 years back was the first mention of it on the forums. Many (most?) refuted my claims and many still do... presumably because they couldn't/can't tell the difference between the shift patterns (pattern being the "very engineering-esque" term that I used to describe them collectively way back when). It finally seems that others are noticing the same thing I did... so no ambiguity as to whether this is a "thing".

The term "quick shift" was something I learned from the BMW NA Corp technician. I was curious at the time and I asked him to elaborate which is when I learned--and later posted--about QS1, QS2 and QS3. That same tech told me and showed me the launch limit and my launch counter (via a screenshot of some diagnostic equipment)--both were at 100. Of course, that doesn't mean it isn't perhaps different now or different depending on the engine, etc.

To the topic at hand: the question to ask is pretty much what I posted earlier. I've no interest in asking them. Here's another phrasing if you are:

"Does the ZF transmission in the current (MYs 19, 20 and 21) BMW M5/M8 use a lesser/restricted shift mode--one that takes longer to shift between gears during Launch Control launches--after some predetermined number of launches?"
Is agree as I have been complaining for a while that my 1st to 2nd then 2nd to 3rd I lose lot of time and this answers it. Now I wanna practice that if I start in launch and change gears straight away myself would that have a difference or no?
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 09:31 PM   #163
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5

Another thing I’m curious about, is brake boosting the f90 giving a faster 0-60 than just hitting the gas off idle? Of course it won’t be as fast as the LC before reaching the 100 limit but maybe at least a better alternative to hitting the gas off idle which is only good for about 3.6-3.7 even on a stage 2 f90.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:00 PM   #164
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTATX View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Is agree as I have been complaining for a while that my 1st to 2nd then 2nd to 3rd I lose lot of time and this answers it. Now I wanna practice that if I start in launch and change gears straight away myself would that have a difference or no?
Sadly no. The limiter slows shifts that seem to exceed some force-ceiling that presumably BMW and ZF defined together. There's nothing you can do (as far as I've learned across 3 cars) to circumvent it.

Again, though—this is my subjective experience, not objective facts from the source.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 10:25 PM   #165
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Utku Noa from Evolve did another tcu update for me. 2.74 is the new update vs 2.72 in the past. Now I understand time was little slower but 2.72 was one off for me at a better DA and slope. If u look at the new time 2.74 iit's in worst DA and slope but apart from 0-10 everything else was quicker than 2.72. I'm gonna run another launch soon if weather permits but I think this update has made the shifts quicker at launch as this update specifically designed to address that. Let me know what y'all think? I know it's not a lot of data but I think this update is in the right direction. I have attached my most recent times from last couple of days as well and u can see how bad the times were at the same spot.
Attached Images

2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 10:27 PM   #166
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Utku Noa from Evolve did another tcu update for me. 2.74 is the new update vs 2.72 in the past. Now I understand time was little slower but 2.72 was one off for me at a better DA and slope. If u look at the new time 2.74 iit's in worst DA and slope but apart from 0-10 everything else was quicker than 2.72. I'm gonna run another launch soon if weather permits but I think this update has made the shifts quicker at launch as this update specifically designed to address that. Let me know what y'all think? I know it's not a lot of data but I think this update is in the right direction. I have attached my most recent times from last couple of days as well and u can see how bad the times were at the same spot.
I'm so envious—progress is progress!
Appreciate 1
GTATX1105.00
      03-14-2021, 12:31 PM   #167
Rippy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Last night I raced a friends Trackhawk. First round I used LC and put a good 6 cars on him and left him off the line.

2nd race I tried without launch control and he raped me off the line and it took me to 130km to catch and pass him

LC makes a huge difference
For me I plan on keeping this car long term so hopefully tuners will figure out a solution in the future.
      03-14-2021, 01:24 PM   #168
MTHX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335XI MPerformance edition

Garage List
2018 F90M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Me with no tcu
2018 base
Jb4
michelin

About the LC.
I have more than 100 LC on my car, probably more around 130 - 150.
Still working.

Use it since summer 2018.
go to drag at least 5x years
make at least 10 run each time.

F30 2015 335XI MPerformance edition - Lacuna Seca Blue //

F30 2015 335XI MPerformance edition - Grey black //

F90 2018 M5 - Donington Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 01:30 PM   #169
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

What are you 0-60 times
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 01:39 PM   #170
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What are you 0-60 times
You read my mind. The 60ft will be telling, too.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 01:52 PM   #171
MTHX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335XI MPerformance edition

Garage List
2018 F90M5  [0.00]
Quote:
What are you 0-60 times
Sorry.

The Android app sucks.
Attached Images

F30 2015 335XI MPerformance edition - Lacuna Seca Blue //

F30 2015 335XI MPerformance edition - Grey black //

F90 2018 M5 - Donington Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 02:08 PM   #172
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Today better da but humid.
Attached Images

2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #173
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So with new tcu file this is what I could do today. Tires are brand new so might need some break in. Hopping I can do maybe 2.7 or under 0-60 and I can be under 10.2. This the new tcu update from Utku Noa at evolve. Shift are definitely quicker.
Attached Images

2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 1
MTHX233.00
      03-14-2021, 04:49 PM   #174
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHX View Post
Quote:
What are you 0-60 times
Sorry.

The Android app sucks.
You still have QS3 then. I assume you can tell the difference between the launch control shift pattern and standard WOT shifts—no crack between each gear is the obvious.

I wish I understood how you've maintained it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #175
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So with new tcu file this is what I could do today. Tires are brand new so might need some break in. Hopping I can do maybe 2.7 or under 0-60 and I can be under 10.2. This the new tcu update from Utku Noa at evolve. Shift are definitely quicker.
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 12:07 AM   #176
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

I just realized what a loser I am that I had a V10 M6, M6 GC, and now my F90 and have never once done a launch control in any of them.

I forget about it half the time.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0