BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Rear Seat Entertainment - Roku Setup and More Questions

09-21-2021, 07:51 PM   #1
Agonz128
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4

Rear Seat Entertainment - Roku Setup and More Questions

Just got my "new to me" 2018 M5. It is equipped with the rear-seat entertainment option. I have connected the wifi hotspot and set up the Roku already. These are my remaining issues and TIA for anyone who can assist:

1. I do not have the remote for the rear seat entertainment. Do I absolutely need it to operate the rear seat entertainment? I was able to set up the Roku in the back seat already without it.

2. Audio... I do not have the BMW wireless headphones. Do I need them to listen to audio in the back? I tried hooking up regular headphones to the audio jack in the back seat and got nothing. Additionally, I cannot figure out for the life of me how to have the audio playback on the car speakers.

3. Is there a way to set up different things on each of the two rear displays? If so, refer back to question 1... do I NEED the remote to be able to do so?

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 09:52 PM   #2
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agonz128 View Post
Just got my "new to me" 2018 M5. It is equipped with the rear-seat entertainment option. I have connected the wifi hotspot and set up the Roku already. These are my remaining issues and TIA for anyone who can assist:

1. I do not have the remote for the rear seat entertainment. Do I absolutely need it to operate the rear seat entertainment? I was able to set up the Roku in the back seat already without it.

2. Audio... I do not have the BMW wireless headphones. Do I need them to listen to audio in the back? I tried hooking up regular headphones to the audio jack in the back seat and got nothing. Additionally, I cannot figure out for the life of me how to have the audio playback on the car speakers.

3. Is there a way to set up different things on each of the two rear displays? If so, refer back to question 1... do I NEED the remote to be able to do so?

Thank you in advance!
U can't operate rear entertainment without remote. U can set up roku or fire stick connecting to hdmi port. Use vehicle data if u have it or phone hotspot. Thx
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 10:40 PM   #3
Agonz128
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTATX View Post
U can't operate rear entertainment without remote. U can set up roku or fire stick connecting to hdmi port. Use vehicle data if u have it or phone hotspot. Thx
Thanks on the first. Already did the second and third point you stated.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 02:43 AM   #4
richie82
Denmark
Rep
Drives: waiting for my %E2%80%98new%E2

I also have rear seat entertainment. As stated above you need the remote. When you have the remote you can toggle between the left and right screen and chose what you want to be displayed. It can be radio or nav or as I have…dvd for the small child (4years) on one screen and for the big kid (13) I bought an apple hdmi converter so he can hook up his phone to watch YouTube or whatever.

The 4 year old uses headphones with cable
And the big kid uses the BMW ones wireless. I found out that the port for the headphones can be a little unstable so some times you have to wiggle the cable a little bit, maybe it's a bad connection caused by multiple yanks in the cable of the headphones.

Hope this helps a little bit
Bmw m5 e60 x 2
Audi RS4 B7 avant
Bmw m6 GC
Mercedes c63 estate
Audi RS6 C7.5 avant performance
Appreciate 0