BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    Need roll racing tips

05-02-2021, 11:03 PM   #23
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
I have done hundreds maybe thousands of roll races.

This car is odd. Holding gears and punching it (like I have done with lots of other cars) no matter the setting, the car does not accel very well. I usually run DSC off with all sports settings.

For example, in auto mode 50mph high gear and then just punching it, the ZF kicks down quick to 3rd and car accelerates with quite a bit more force than just say holding 3rd gear at 50 mph and punching it. Why? Not sure but likely the trans tune is doing something.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2021, 09:43 AM   #24
Quinn A
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post

This car is odd. Holding gears and punching it (like I have done with lots of other cars) no matter the setting, the car does not accel very well. I usually run DSC off with all sports settings.

For example, in auto mode 50mph high gear and then just punching it, the ZF kicks down quick to 3rd and car accelerates with quite a bit more force than just say holding 3rd gear at 50 mph and punching it. Why? Not sure but likely the trans tune is doing something.
I have noticed this too, against my GT3 RS if i hold it the car is almost dead even, if i punch it in auto the M8 walks away
2022 Cayenne Turbo coupe Catless/ Tune
2022 Huracan STO
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2021, 01:30 PM   #25
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn A View Post
Quote:

I have noticed this too, against my GT3 RS if i hold it the car is almost dead even, if i punch it in auto the M8 walks away
Yes def more pronounced with a high revving N/A car. But even other turbo cars arent this bad. Has to be something with the TCU tuning trying to protect the car. There are many of these "protections" that I find very annoying with the M8.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 08:39 AM   #26
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i, '18 X6M, '16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
We would need a car to do runs with a draggy... one could guess that with less nannies, MDM also has less parasitic loss than regular AWD.

But I dont know the exact science behind it. Just a supposition.
i see your point, well said, and in fact 2WD might be better in a roll.
Theoretically speaking.
This was really interesting, I thought the same thing because obviously you're sending all the power to the rear wheels, but it's actually not true. Theoretically speaking it should be, but it's slower 60-130 mph by a little bit. I still don't know why, I would love for somebody to explain that.

Also, MDM is forsure slower than DSC fully off. Maybe not by a lot, but it has to be. MDM is like a middle ground to TC On/Off. The right way to race is with traction fully off always (if you could dead hook) so the computer isn't hoarding any power, and to let the car shift itself
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 10:45 PM   #27
Danny D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:

Yes I notice this as well, It will usually pull harder into the next gear, not the current one.
Appreciate 0