BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Thoughts on lease protection plans?

10-30-2020, 09:24 PM   #1
fullsmoke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5, 2024 M2

Thoughts on lease protection plans?

Hello all,

New to the forum, taking delivery of a 2021 M5 soon! Sorry if this isn't in the correct category, but couldn't find one better...

What do you guys think of the protection plans? Tire and wheel? Cosmetic? Brake and rotors?

I plan to track the car maybe once or twice a year...

Thanks!
FS
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 09:41 PM   #2
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Tire and wheel protection has been money well spent for me. I don't know how many tires and at least one wheel my wife has had replaced for free under this plan. It also covers wheel rash. It may depend on the dealership, but there has been really no resistance to claims made for almost any tire or wheel cosmetic failure.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 12:20 AM   #3
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Just do tire and wheels, since it's a lease you're not likely not gonna ppf the car, and you shouldn't really worry about road rash and rock chips since again, it's a lease; so no point getting an appearance protection plan.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 05:35 AM   #4
Jking809
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Tire and wheel protection has been money well spent for me. I don't know how many tires and at least one wheel my wife has had replaced for free under this plan. It also covers wheel rash. It may depend on the dealership, but there has been really no resistance to claims made for almost any tire or wheel cosmetic failure.
Do the lease car come with gap insurance or is that extra? if you know
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jking809 View Post
Do the lease car come with gap insurance or is that extra? if you know
To my knowledge all BMW leases come with gap insurance (no extra fee) ....

Last edited by POBA; 10-31-2020 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
Jking809229.50
      10-31-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep

I got the wheels and tires protection and it was money well spent, at least for me.
I would definitely get the "BMW maintenance refresh plan" especially if you are going to track the car, to cover brake pads and rotors and also wiper inserts. It is around $700ish retail, may be more now. You can negotiate the price down with the dealer. I got it too. So you could enjoy your car headache free. Good luck and stay safe and healthy!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 09:13 AM   #7
fullsmoke
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBA View Post
I got the wheels and tires protection and it was money well spent, at least for me.
I would definitely get the "BMW maintenance refresh plan" especially if you are going to track the car, to cover brake pads and rotors and also wiper inserts. It is around $700ish retail, may be more now. You can negotiate the price down with the dealer. I got it too. So you could enjoy your car headache free. Good luck and stay safe and healthy!!
Thanks for the advice fellas! But do you think I'll go through pads and rotors that quickly with maybe one or two track events a year? I assume BMW would replace the worn out pad AND rotors at the same time and not just pad slap?

FS
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 09:21 AM   #8
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmoke View Post
Thanks for the advice fellas! But do you think I'll go through pads and rotors that quickly with maybe one or two track events a year? I assume BMW would replace the worn out pad AND rotors at the same time and not just pad slap?

FS
It depends on your driving habits, most likely you will need them replaced before lease end. BMW new car warranty does NOT cover brake pads and rotors anymore. The "BMW maintenance refresh plan" is a must at least for me. I drive my car the way it was intended to be driven lol. Make sure not to pay retail for it, the price is negotiable. Have fun, you will love it ...
Appreciate 1
lsal137.50
      10-31-2020, 10:02 AM   #9
fullsmoke
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It depends on your driving habits, most likely you will need them replaced before lease end. BMW new car warranty does NOT cover brake pads and rotors anymore. The "BMW maintenance refresh plan" is a must at least for me. I drive my car the way it was intended to be driven lol. Make sure not to pay retail for it, the price is negotiable. Have fun, you will love it ...
Thanks! Any advice on how to negotiate this? I did not think of this prior to negotiating the lease...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 10:06 AM   #10
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Dealer wanted like $2.5k for wheel and tire plan so I said no to that and they wouldn't negotiate. I did do the full maintenance plan for $800 to cover me through the lease for at least brake pads and rotors. Peace of mind to drive it like I stole it at least.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
lsal137.50
      10-31-2020, 09:51 PM   #11
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! Any advice on how to negotiate this? I did not think of this prior to negotiating the lease...
Just share with your CA that you want to add the maintenance plan and ask him if they could discount it below retail, I am sure they will do something. Good luck, keep us posted and can't wait to see the beast pics...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 06:09 AM   #12
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Just share with your CA that you want to add the maintenance plan and ask him if they could discount it below retail, I am sure they will do something. Good luck, keep us posted and can't wait to see the beast pics...
All my dealer did when I bought mine after the lease was send me to their finance guy and I had to work with him. Some Austrian or Swiss dude too. Very intimidating with his European accent! Haha
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 06:32 AM   #13
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP LCI

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
All my dealer did when I bought mine after the lease was send me to their finance guy and I had to work with him. Some Austrian or Swiss dude too. Very intimidating with his European accent! Haha
You don't even need to ask... just say you don't want it and they'll start negotiating against themselves 😂
Appreciate 1
POBA272.00
      11-01-2020, 01:20 PM   #14
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsal View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You don't even need to ask... just say you don't want it and they'll start negotiating against themselves 😂
I did just that to the dealer I bought the car through. Told him it was a bit more than what I have seen others pay and he didn't bat an eye. Just moved on to the next page of the contract. Lol
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #15
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I did just that to the dealer I bought the car through. Told him it was a bit more than what I have seen others pay and he didn't bat an eye. Just moved on to the next page of the contract. Lol
Wow, first I've heard of this
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #16
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ya I wasnt too worried. I'm good at not curbing rims and the wife won't drive the car (she's terrified of damaging it). I did opt for the much cheaper lease return insurance or what we it's called. Basically covered any damage, tires, etc upon lease conclusion. And I got the extended maintenance plan to cover the brakes. Figured I should be covered. Expect to replace tires maybe 1-2x over the next 3 years.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
lsal137.50
      11-02-2020, 06:06 PM   #17
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ya I wasnt too worried. I'm good at not curbing rims and the wife won't drive the car (she's terrified of damaging it). I did opt for the much cheaper lease return insurance or what we it's called. Basically covered any damage, tires, etc upon lease conclusion. And I got the extended maintenance plan to cover the brakes. Figured I should be covered. Expect to replace tires maybe 1-2x over the next 3 years.
Good luck! Enjoy the beast!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 08:40 PM   #18
fullsmoke
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, guys! So, they allow for a slight discount if you've owned a BMW in the past--I believe it was 200-250 off for the tire and wheel and the brake maintenance packages.

The tire and wheel plan (just for structural problems) was around 2880 without the discount. The brake maintenance plan was around 1100. Apparently the prices have spiked in past years (or so I'm told)...

Just FYI, the brake package can be added after you take delivery but premiums may go up if it's been awhile. The tire and wheel plan must be purchased prior to leaving the dealer lot.

Hope this helps someone.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 06:59 AM   #19
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep

Now, you guessed it... we need pics to admire the beast!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #20
Crumbs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F85 X5M Mineral White

always get wheel and tire thats about it, ill mull over the extended for brakes etc. Better safe than sorry
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 03:13 AM   #21
Bimmr7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/G80 M3 Comp on Ord

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
2010 BMW 335 M Sport  [0.00]
Do it!!!

Saved me thousands on my wife’s last two leases.
On her X1 I was able to negotiate the price down from $1200 to $800 back in 13. However, on her 535i in 16 I was not able to negotiate the price but it was worth it and lease turn in.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 09:07 PM   #22
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
I always get tire and wheel and it pays for itself many times. I was told that the wheel has to be cracked for it to be covered and they wouldnt cover wheel rash.