BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Confused about M1/M2, Setup, M Mode settings

03-29-2021, 07:35 PM   #1
BayDriverSF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 2021

Confused about M1/M2, Setup, M Mode settings

New M5C owner here. I understand what M1/M2 does, it's a way to save your settings and quickly switch to them.

What I don't understand is how this relates to the Setup button down by the gear shifter. And then there's the M Mode button under the Setup button, which brings you to a menu that is similar but not the same as the others. There is also "M Menu" in the main menu.

So we have:

- M1/M2 switches
- M Mode button next to gear shifter (shows ROAD/SPORT/TRACK)
- Setup button next to gear shifter (shows Engine/Chassis,Steering/M xDrive settings)
- M Menu in main menu

What is the difference between these four items? Thx for any tips.

Last edited by BayDriverSF; 03-29-2021 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 08:05 PM   #2
plutnicki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M8C Coupe & 2019 X3 M40i

M mode changes the display style.

M menu allows you to configure the M1 and M2 buttons and allows more tuning of the parameters, then the M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel access those presets.

Setup on the console allows you to change a few of those settings on the fly, so let’s say you just want to tweak the steering, without going into your M1 or M2 setups, you can just change that on the fly. Or let’s say you’re in M1 and you come up on a rough stretch of road and want to soften the suspension only. You can use the setup menu to back it off and leave the rest of your settings in place.

It’s a very flexible system.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 08:32 PM   #3
BayDriverSF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutnicki View Post
M mode changes the display style.

M menu allows you to configure the M1 and M2 buttons and allows more tuning of the parameters, then the M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel access those presets.

Setup on the console allows you to change a few of those settings on the fly, so let’s say you just want to tweak the steering, without going into your M1 or M2 setups, you can just change that on the fly. Or let’s say you’re in M1 and you come up on a rough stretch of road and want to soften the suspension only. You can use the setup menu to back it off and leave the rest of your settings in place.

It’s a very flexible system.
Awesome, now I understand it, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 09:15 PM   #4
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Just to add a bit more color and confusion, the Mode button also affects the driver aids. By default, Road mode enables all driver aids, Sport disables some of them, and Track disables all of them (along with the center screen and the audio system). The driver aid button (next to the hazard light switch on the dash) changes from green (all aids enabled) to orange (some aids disabled) to red (all aids disabled).

In addition to the Setup button and the associated menus and the M menu, you can also adjust the shift speed / firmness using the toggle switch on top of the gear selector.

Oddly, the M1 and M2 buttons can be programmed for all things except M mode, that is, when programming the M1 and M2 buttons, the M mode setting will not be remembered and recalled when the M1 or M2 buttons are activated.

I find this a rather confusing and disjointed user interface and BMW should really rethink it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 12:54 PM   #5
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Reviving this old thread .. Does anyone else find it odd you cannot adjust/set the transmission setting with the M Mode ..?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 02:35 PM   #6
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Reviving this old thread .. Does anyone else find it odd you cannot adjust/set the transmission setting with the M Mode ..?
C
I believe it's cos you can do that on the gear shift lever itself
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 12:05 PM   #7
jamodeo
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

Edit: I just realized I posted this in potentially the wrong forum. The below works for a ‘20 M8 with iD7, apologies if not the same in the M5.

You can, that is selected in the setup menu for the relevant m button. There should be D1, D2, D3, and S1, S2, S3. Example: D2 would be automatic shifting in 2 (I call them bars), S3 would put it in manual shifting mode in 3 bars. The car always starts off in D1 if that makes sense, automatic shifting, 1 bar (out of 3).

Another useful tip: setup everything the way you like it and hold the M1 or M2 button you want to save those settings to. After a few seconds of holding the red m button you’ll hear a confirmation tone and now those settings are saved just like saving a radio preset.

Another fun tip: let’s say you are driving in your M preset and want to chill out or calm the car down, press the M button again (the same one that’s currently active and indicated on the dash) and it will go back to default. I use this when getting close to home so it’s a little quieter around the neighborhood.