BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    From M5 to 911 Turbo S (991.1 or 991.2)

02-03-2020, 07:02 AM   #1
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

From M5 to 911 Turbo S (991.1 or 991.2)

Good morning folks,
I need help in regards to the following.
I am making the switch from M5 F90 to 911 Turbo S.

My M5 can be sold currently for US$ 140k - R$ 580k (I took a pretty hefty loss in my car), and the 991.1 Turbo S (can be purchased by US$ 190k or R$ 760k ) or the 991.2 Turbo S (for US$ 250k - R$ 1.05mil).

What should I go for? The 991.1 or 991.2

I can make the jump to the 991.2 but it is a massive stretch and will be financially painful. The 991.1 can be afforded more easily.
I have also been lurking at 991.2 Turbo (non S) cars (those retail for US$ 210k - R$ 880k). What should I do?

Thanks for the help folks
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 07:05 AM   #2
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Vic55 and other 911 owners please chime in to help a confused soul LOL.
Appreciate 1
LBBF87522.00
      02-03-2020, 07:48 AM   #3
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosM4 View Post
Good morning folks,
I need help in regards to the following.
I am making the switch from M5 F90 to 911 Turbo S.

My M5 can be sold currently for US$ 140k - R$ 580k (I took a pretty hefty loss in my car), and the 991.1 Turbo S (can be purchased by US$ 190k or R$ 760k ) or the 991.2 Turbo S (for US$ 250k - R$ 1.05mil).

What should I go for? The 991.1 or 991.2

I can make the jump to the 991.2 but it is a massive stretch and will be financially painful. The 991.1 can be afforded more easily.
I have also been lurking at 991.2 Turbo (non S) cars (those retail for US$ 210k - R$ 880k). What should I do?

Thanks for the help folks
Those $ value delta’s are criminal !

With those numbers, even though I love my 991.2 TTS, I’d save the money and buy a 991.1TTS and change the steering wheel to a 991.2 and add the 68mm turbos with a tune and exhaust. You now have more power than a 991.2 and a great functioning super car.

One thing I would do after my testing, is not waste the money on IPD inlet pipes, larger intercoolers, etc. The power comes from the tune first and turbos second. Stock IC’s do a good job and will outperform the aftermarket stuff if you add a mist spray system (I did).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #4
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Those $ value delta’s are criminal !

With those numbers, even though I love my 991.2 TTS, I’d save the money and buy a 991.1TTS and change the steering wheel to a 991.2 and add the 68mm turbos with a tune and exhaust. You now have more power than a 991.2 and a great functioning super car.

One thing I would do after my testing, is not waste the money on IPD inlet pipes, larger intercoolers, etc. The power comes from the tune first and turbos second. Stock IC’s do a good job and will outperform the aftermarket stuff if you add a mist spray system (I did).
Yeah, the depreciation in the M5, coped to the increase in price of the 911's has put me into a bad spot to make this switch.

I really like the 991.2 Turbo S, but I am having a hard time justifying the additional cost, especially as I know that when the 992 Turbo arrives, the depreciation hit in the 991.2 will be massive.

The 991.2 Turbo has me scratching my head as well, but I would lose PCCB in comparison to the 991.1 Turbo S

I will take some time to start modding, as I like to keep things stock. I will be doing exhaust mod, as the 911's stock exhaust isn't that great. But I think that will be as far as I go.

But from what I saw the main difference between both Turbo S is that larger Turbo and the anti-lag system. I really like the 911's Turbo punchy response, but I feel both 991.1 and 991.2 are fine for my use.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Carlos financially the .2 wont make sense unless you must have the added performance of the larger turbos other adjustments that Porsche made. I had two 991.1 Turbo S's and both were basically modded with tune and exhaust to get to .2 numbers or a slight bit more. Now if you tune a .2 its over but like you said the financial piece is material to you. The only thing I dont like about the .1's is the warranty is done unless you can buy one down there to cover your vehicle.

I actually like the option of the non S .2 as well. Its got a smaller wheel than the S but a simple Cobb tune will help it past a stock .2 S.

If you typed "painfully" in regards to finances then you know what you need to do if you are getting in the porsche game and thats probably a .1 Turbo S with low miles or a .2 Non S. I dont think you want to get a .2 S and when more than enough power sits in either of your other options and a 2k tune is a shipment away. If you want the upgraded interior then the .2 is the way to go. The Nav and other tech parts are more advanced like in my .2 GTS. Heck you could get a GTS and tune it and voila you have a Baby Turbo S (like I did)
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #6
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M5

Quote:
Quote:
Those $ value delta's are criminal !

With those numbers, even though I love my 991.2 TTS, I'd save the money and buy a 991.1TTS and change the steering wheel to a 991.2 and add the 68mm turbos with a tune and exhaust. You now have more power than a 991.2 and a great functioning super car.

One thing I would do after my testing, is not waste the money on IPD inlet pipes, larger intercoolers, etc. The power comes from the tune first and turbos second. Stock IC's do a good job and will outperform the aftermarket stuff if you add a mist spray system (I did).
Yeah, the depreciation in the M5, coped to the increase in price of the 911's has put me into a bad spot to make this switch.

I really like the 991.2 Turbo S, but I am having a hard time justifying the additional cost, especially as I know that when the 992 Turbo arrives, the depreciation hit in the 991.2 will be massive.

The 991.2 Turbo has me scratching my head as well, but I would lose PCCB in comparison to the 991.1 Turbo S

I will take some time to start modding, as I like to keep things stock. I will be doing exhaust mod, as the 911's stock exhaust isn't that great. But I think that will be as far as I go.

But from what I saw the main difference between both Turbo S is that larger Turbo and the anti-lag system. I really like the 911's Turbo punchy response, but I feel both 991.1 and 991.2 are fine for my use.
Not sure what your car situation is like but I would sell the M5 now to limit your loss and wait 9 months until the 992 Turbo s is out. At that time I'm sure you would be able to get a very clean 991.2 turbo s with a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #7
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

With those goals in mind, I would buy a Turbo S in either variant. Personally, I would look for a 2017 TTS and negotiate hard (can you import from the US ? )

Pure stock vs stock the power gain is substantial. Tuned 991.1 isn’t getting to stock 991.2 levels due to the 991.2 TTS having the 997 GT2RS turbos on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 10:55 AM   #8
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Carlos financially the .2 wont make sense unless you must have the added performance of the larger turbos other adjustments that Porsche made. I had two 991.1 Turbo S's and both were basically modded with tune and exhaust to get to .2 numbers or a slight bit more. Now if you tune a .2 its over but like you said the financial piece is material to you. The only thing I dont like about the .1's is the warranty is done unless you can buy one down there to cover your vehicle.

I actually like the option of the non S .2 as well. Its got a smaller wheel than the S but a simple Cobb tune will help it past a stock .2 S.

If you typed "painfully" in regards to finances then you know what you need to do if you are getting in the porsche game and thats probably a .1 Turbo S with low miles or a .2 Non S. I dont think you want to get a .2 S and when more than enough power sits in either of your other options and a 2k tune is a shipment away. If you want the upgraded interior then the .2 is the way to go. The Nav and other tech parts are more advanced like in my .2 GTS. Heck you could get a GTS and tune it and voila you have a Baby Turbo S (like I did)
So in regards to the finances, I can afford either without resorting to finance or leasing, but it is a stretch as it depletes my current reserve, which concerns me a little in the long term, as I live in country in which god knows what can happen with the economy and currency. Either way, I will sell or trade the M5 to cover the cost, but I am still stretching the ball, and I am aware that Porsche running costs are higher (although it holds value far better and costs less proportionally).

I will be out of warranty with either 991.1 or 991.2. Our warranty here is only 2 years long, and even worse, you can't extend it through the manufacture (has to be 3rd party). This is one of the reasons I am avoiding tuning, as I don't want to risk putting extra stress on the transmission and the engine, besides that, I feel like the car is plenty fast for my current desires.

Is the 991.2 S that much faster? I honestly have not driven both, so I can't really tell the difference. I have driven the 991.1 Turbo S, but the 991.2 Turbo S I have only been a passenger. I know it is faster though than the 991.1 as I drove a 991.2 Turbo, and that already felt faster than the 991.1 Turbo S.

The new PCM appeals to me, but what really gets me is the chassis and tyres upgrade from 991.1 to 991.2. Is it worth it, in your opinion?

Is the GTS comparable to the Turbo? Because I honestly like its aesthetics far more, and I would be more than willing to buy it. I quite like the GTS exhaust too, it sounds better (at least to me).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 10:57 AM   #9
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
With those goals in mind, I would buy a Turbo S in either variant. Personally, I would look for a 2017 TTS and negotiate hard (can you import from the US ? )

Pure stock vs stock the power gain is substantial. Tuned 991.1 isn’t getting to stock 991.2 levels due to the 991.2 TTS having the 997 GT2RS turbos on it.
Unfortunately can not import it, due to our current closed border policy. Taxes and fees make it not financially sound to do so.

I wasn't aware the 991.2 Turbo S was that much faster. I can try to negotiate the 991.2 Turbo S, but it is tough as there are too few cars for sale in the market. In the whole country there are only 5 cars listed.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:00 AM   #10
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So in regards to the finances, I can afford either without resorting to finance or leasing, but it is a stretch as it depletes my current reserve, which concerns me a little in the long term, as I live in country in which god knows what can happen with the economy and currency. Either way, I will sell or trade the M5 to cover the cost, but I am still stretching the ball, and I am aware that Porsche running costs are higher (although it holds value far better and costs less proportionally).

I will be out of warranty with either 991.1 or 991.2. Our warranty here is only 2 years long, and even worse, you can't extend it through the manufacture (has to be 3rd party). This is one of the reasons I am avoiding tuning, as I don't want to risk putting extra stress on the transmission and the engine, besides that, I feel like the car is plenty fast for my current desires.

Is the 991.2 S that much faster? I honestly have not driven both, so I can't really tell the difference. I have driven the 991.1 Turbo S, but the 991.2 Turbo S I have only been a passenger. I know it is faster though than the 991.1 as I drove a 991.2 Turbo, and that already felt faster than the 991.1 Turbo S.

Is the GTS comparable to the Turbo? Because I honestly like its aesthetics far more, and I would be more than willing to buy it. I quite like the GTS exhaust too, it sounds better (at least to me).
I see in regards to finances and warranty- what a challenge that must be with the coverage times.

The .2 Turbo S is faster by a decent chunk as the speeds get up. Its got the bigger Turbos and the newer interior to boot. Onfire can chime in better than me here but Id say its probably 4-5 mph faster in trap speed stock to stock at the 1/4 mile. The GTS .2 is pretty bad ass, I tuned mine and did the exhaust and it sounds so good vs the more muted oem Turbo and Turbo S sounds. It has 450 stock hp and even without the tune, Porsche is the absolute best at putting the power to the ground. If you dont need sheer quarter mile trap speed get the GTS and enjoy the sound and newer tech inside. My car has the RWS and PDCC but not the ceramics. Its a really enjoyable car and its a cab too.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickburn7 View Post
Not sure what your car situation is like but I would sell the M5 now to limit your loss and wait 9 months until the 992 Turbo s is out. At that time I'm sure you would be able to get a very clean 991.2 turbo s with a warranty.
I have other cars beside the M5, so I will still have means of transport LOL, they are just boring in comparison. I can wait the 9 months.

I am thinking of ordering the 992 Turbo S, the only thing I don't like is that its asking price is just shy of US$ 300k, and I will have to put US$60k down in the meantime while it arrives to the shore here. I would like to see one first, before I decide.

Buying a 991.1 Turbo S, in the sense of ordering the 992 would be better for me, as I will take a smaller hit in depreciation and will have more cash in hand.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #12
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I see in regards to finances and warranty- what a challenge that must be with the coverage times.

The .2 Turbo S is faster by a decent chunk as the speeds get up. Its got the bigger Turbos and the newer interior to boot. Onfire can chime in better than me here but Id say its probably 4-5 mph faster in trap speed stock to stock at the 1/4 mile. The GTS .2 is pretty bad ass, I tuned mine and did the exhaust and it sounds so good vs the more muted oem Turbo and Turbo S sounds. It has 450 stock hp and even without the tune, Porsche is the absolute best at putting the power to the ground. If you dont need sheer quarter mile trap speed get the GTS and enjoy the sound and newer tech inside. My car has the RWS and PDCC but not the ceramics. Its a really enjoyable car and its a cab too.
Yeah 2 years coverage is a joke, but it is part of the drill.

I wasn't aware the .2 was that much faster. That is a compelling case for me, given I won't tune it. Although to me the .1 is pretty much M5 quick.

Thanks for the tip on the GTS. I do like its exhaust far more, but never drove the new .2 GTS to know if it is worth it. I will test drive on with all performance options once I get the chance.

I am a sucker for PCCB but if necessary I would give it up, but RWS, PDCC, PTSV - I definitely want those options.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:58 AM   #13
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah 2 years coverage is a joke, but it is part of the drill.

I wasn't aware the .2 was that much faster. That is a compelling case for me, given I won't tune it. Although to me the .1 is pretty much M5 quick.

Thanks for the tip on the GTS. I do like its exhaust far more, but never drove the new .2 GTS to know if it is worth it. I will test drive on with all performance options once I get the chance.

I am a sucker for PCCB but if necessary I would give it up, but RWS, PDCC, PTSV - I definitely want those options.
Remember that the .1 GTS has the lemans sound because its a normally aspirated unit. The .2 is a turbo powered car and yes its a bit muted but not by much IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 12:24 PM   #14
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Remember that the .1 GTS has the lemans sound because its a normally aspirated unit. The .2 is a turbo powered car and yes its a bit muted but not by much IMHO.
Yeah. But I have heard the .2 GTS in person, and it sounds pretty nice, especially for a turbocharged car. I quite like it
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #15
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah. But I have heard the .2 GTS in person, and it sounds pretty nice, especially for a turbocharged car. I quite like it
I really enjoy mine- its no Turbo S but its tuned and moves very well with lighter turbo lag due to smaller wheels.

Appreciate 1
Punitive147.00
      02-03-2020, 05:14 PM   #16
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I really enjoy mine- its no Turbo S but its tuned and moves very well with lighter turbo lag due to smaller wheels.

Damn fine automobile.

Looks very sleek, I thoroughly enjoy its look and presence.
I will drive one to check out
Appreciate 1
Vic5518965.50
      02-03-2020, 05:42 PM   #17
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

+1
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 05:45 PM   #18
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Made an 1/8th mile pass today to tune the tires. This is with a Kline exhaust, cats and a 91 Octane tune. With the rollout on this pass it went 2.32 zero to 60mph at the non hero Altitude. This is just to show the advantage of the larger .2 turbos on pump gas, no meth, etc.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Vic5518965.50
vtknight966.50
      02-03-2020, 06:40 PM   #19
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Made an 1/8th mile pass today to tune the tires. This is with a Kline exhaust, cats and a 91 Octane tune. With the rollout on this pass it went 2.32 zero to 60mph at the non hero Altitude. This is just to show the advantage of the larger .2 turbos on pump gas, no meth, etc.
Just crushing it on 91.
Appreciate 1
onfireX53616.50
      02-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #20
F80_M
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1/1 PSM F80, F36, G11

Quote:

holy shit
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:23 PM   #21
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

Damn that is crazy fast.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 10:04 PM   #22
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C

Quote:
She's purty!
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 0