BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Apple CarPlay update

06-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
fromgta
Rep
Drives: Need an Upgrade

Apple CarPlay update

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Apparently now that the Apple CarPlay iOS is out, anyone know how to get the software updated to the car?

I'm not even sure if the update is out yet or if it's possible to get it updated. I'm driving a 2019 M5C. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

If you’re referring to iOS 13 with all the new CarPlay features that’s currently available in beta to developers and soon in July as a public beta to everyone else, then you don’t necessarily need new software on the BMW iDrive’s end to start using it. CarPlay is merely an interactive video stream and most of the new CarPlay features described at WWDC should already work on existing cars where the current iOS 12.x version of CarPlay already works on. The only new iOS 13 CarPlay feature that may require new software on the car’s end is the utilization of a second video stream of CarPlay for possibly running and viewing multiple CarPlay apps concurrently.
      06-25-2019, 10:36 PM   #3
jrhee
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

You can actually download the public beta now which has the new carplay. You can download the public beta profile from apple and you should see the update. Please keep in mind this is a beta...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 01:35 AM   #4
masmole
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhee View Post
You can actually download the public beta now which has the new carplay. You can download the public beta profile from apple and you should see the update. Please keep in mind this is a beta...
Nice! I guess Apple released the public beta earlier than expected... but beware everyone - it seems many are already reporting that this is the most buggy and problematic release of an iOS public beta ever. It would be wise to avoid doing it on your primary phone or only phone. It apparently causes many apps to crash frequently.

I’ve already registered my iPhone for previous iOS public betas as well as this iOS 13, but for now I will wait for perhaps the next IOS 13 beta release (or even after that) for a bit more stability. I will do it now for my iPad though, since that device is not as essential.
      06-26-2019, 02:37 AM   #5
yujini
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 30d, Boxster GTS (981)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
Nice! I guess Apple released the public beta earlier than expected... but beware everyone - it seems many are already reporting that this is the most buggy and problematic release of an iOS public beta ever. It would be wise to avoid doing it on your primary phone or only phone. It apparently causes many apps to crash frequently.

I’ve already registered my iPhone for previous iOS public betas as well as this iOS 13, but for now I will wait for perhaps the next IOS 13 beta release (or even after that) for a bit more stability. I will do it now for my iPad though, since that device is not as essential.
I would even recommend not updating to ios13 when it is released.
If you can wait, 13.1 patch is a safe bet to have critical bugs figured out.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 05:09 AM   #6
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

Not sure I would update cuz might not be all good. As an example, after last Apple update, I can no longer use the keypad function on the screen in my M5 while the car is moving due to a nanny Apple decided I needed. THIS SUCKS. If you call many establishments while driving, you will hear a "please dial 1 for this department, dial 2 for that department"....and guess what>>>>>you can't fucking do it cuz there's no keypad. You get a message that 'Keypad has limited function'.....limited? It has NO function. What bullshit. And if you call Apple, they will tell you there is no way to cut this 'don't use keypad while car moving' nanny off. Apple says I can use the keypad on my phone instead, but how the hell is that safer when I have to look down from the road at my phone. You can't fix dumbass. Forget the update until you know more about it cuz no telling what nannies they put in this time. Rant over.

Last edited by A Need For Speed; 06-26-2019 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
norbtx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

Well its the first beta of a totally new version of iOS, so yea, it'll be buggy! I'm going to download and see if Carplay is better.
      06-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #8
masmole
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbtx View Post
Well its the first beta of a totally new version of iOS, so yea, it'll be buggy! I'm going to download and see if Carplay is better.
Just make sure to back-up your iPhone with iCloud or through iTunes in your computer so that you can easily downgrade back to iOS 12 without much effort in case it makes your device too unusable. Apparently this particular initial public beta of iOS 13 is the most buggy and crash-prone public beta Apple has ever released.
      06-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #9
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Need For Speed View Post
Not sure I would update cuz might not be all good. As an example, after last Apple update, I can no longer use the keypad function on the screen in my M5 while the car is moving due to a nanny Apple decided I needed. THIS SUCKS. If you call many establishments while driving, you will hear a "please dial 1 for this department, dial 2 for that department"....and guess what>>>>>you can't fucking do it cuz there's no keypad. You get a message that 'Keypad has limited function'.....limited? It has NO function. What bullshit. And if you call Apple, they will tell you there is no way to cut this 'don't use keypad while car moving' nanny off. Apple says I can use the keypad on my phone instead, but how the hell is that safer when I have to look down from the road at my phone. You can't fix dumbass. Forget the update until you know more about it cuz no telling what nannies they put in this time. Rant over.
LOVED THIS RANT> THANK YOU!!!! Yes those software guys write "Improvements" and mess up FUNCTIONALITY and it drives me nuts too. Rant on Brother.....Steve Jobst Rest in Peace, Cook is killing your baby.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2019, 08:42 PM   #10
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Ran ios13 this evening.

CarPlay is different.

Different screen

Didn't take over my phone
example: can use CarPlay to play iTunes, while using phone for another app.

No full screen on iDrive yet ... maybe in the future updates, or maybe it's something needed on BMW's side.

Not very buggy at all!! Very good 1st beta release.
Appreciate 0