BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    Porsche 911 Turbo vs. M5 Competition

12-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #45
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Big difference between a Turbo and a Turbo S , most people can't tell the difference lol . Also driver mod is important , if you don't use LC it's much slower just like the M5 . Stock vs stock my point is it's not even close in a straight line and on track it's a massacre , can't hide 900 pounds . I much prefer a V8 or a V10 this ive sold mine , but nothing launches like a Turbo S on street tires . 1.5 60 ft all day long . From a roll vs a tuned S63 Tu eclipsed M yes they are very close , my full exhaust 93 octane tuned M6 ran identical 7.3-7.5 60-130 in the same DA and location but was not as consistent in hot weather. But on a certified drag strip an exhaust only .2 Turbo S ran a 10.29 @132 mph on pump. I've yet to see a stock F90 come close to that combo . You can mod anything to be faster than anything of course .
To clarify - I ran a 991.2 Turbo - not Turbo S - we were less than a tenth and 1/2 MPH apart same day, same track - and I can assure you the driver of the Turbo knows how to drive as they are one of the biggest builder/Tuners for exotic cars in our Country. I agree that the S is a different ball game - but it obviously should be lol.

The Turbo on its own is about 70K more than a F90 M5 - and they are almost identical in performance. The S is over 100K more (Canadian dollars) than the F90 Competition - and yes - it is a good 3-4 tenths quicker and about 2 MPH faster in the 1/4. That said - tune and downpipes for an F90 aren't 100K and that is 10.3 at 135 MPH for the F90. So the performance argument isn't so simple. I also never believe anyone at the track when it comes to people's modified cars - stock vs stock is what we are discussing.

And again - the F90 and Porsche 991 and now 992 are not direct competitors - the F90 simply over-achieves - performance wise - and that makes it a strong value buy to get a super well rounded car. A GT Luxury car at that.

Last edited by vtknight; 12-10-2018 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 3
Vic5518961.00
onfireX53616.50
soooma1373.00
      12-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #46
TTHURACAN
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini

We are really getting caught up in the performance numbers...

Taking a step back, there is no way a sports sedan should run with a top tier sports car costing almost twice as much, but it does. And if that does not blow your mind, it should!
Appreciate 3
vtknight966.50
soooma1373.00
      12-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #47
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHURACAN View Post
We are really getting caught up in the performance numbers...

Taking a step back, there is no way a sports sedan should run with a top tier sports car costing almost twice as much, but it does. And if that does not blow your mind, it should!
I agree with your entire post.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #48
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

What happened in the world,
Have I been in a cave?
Never heard F10 compared to Turbo S, it would have been blasphemous!! Now what in the world?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #49
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

I got out of my then new '13 F10 and into a new '17 991.2 Turbo. I've run both stock in the qtr mile (best of 11:53 and 10:71 respectively) and several road courses. I've run quicker cars than both and while drag racing is fun, I prefer the road courses. This is where I think the turbo shines as the better "all-rounder." Of course for the additional money it should be. And LC with PDK is so easy it puts the BMW LC to shame. Not that it really matters.

The M5 acceleration and braking was phenomenal for such a heavy car. I did add Dinan sways and higher temp brake fluid for the road course work. I could easily keep up with "regular" Carreras and outrun many. I've added Pagid pads and gt3 camber plates to the turbo and it lays down consistently quicker lap times. It's faster down the straights and carries more speed through the corners. While the specs of the new M5C indicate it can perform on par with the current turbo, I suspect it will do so in a similar fashion as the F10 and thus not be as "thrilling" as the turbo. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope so. So for me the turbo is my choice for now.

Still, while I have the turbo in the garage I'm having secret thoughts of a new M5C. 😎

Not sure this helps the OP but its all 1st world problems anyway. 🤑
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      12-28-2018, 05:44 PM   #50
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
I got out of my then new '13 F10 and into a new '17 991.2 Turbo. I've run both stock in the qtr mile (best of 11:53 and 10:71 respectively) and several road courses. I've run quicker cars than both and while drag racing is fun, I prefer the road courses. This is where I think the turbo shines as the better "all-rounder." Of course for the additional money it should be. And LC with PDK is so easy it puts the BMW LC to shame. Not that it really matters.

The M5 acceleration and braking was phenomenal for such a heavy car. I did add Dinan sways and higher temp brake fluid for the road course work. I could easily keep up with "regular" Carreras and outrun many. I've added Pagid pads and gt3 camber plates to the turbo and it lays down consistently quicker lap times. It's faster down the straights and carries more speed through the corners. While the specs of the new M5C indicate it can perform on par with the current turbo, I suspect it will do so in a similar fashion as the F10 and thus not be as "thrilling" as the turbo. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope so. So for me the turbo is my choice for now.

Still, while I have the turbo in the garage I'm having secret thoughts of a new M5C. 😎

Not sure this helps the OP but its all 1st world problems anyway. 🤑
Very glad you posted. I’m still conflicted. I’ve been looking at a 991.2 TurboS to add to the F90.

How would you compare road noise, parking, general daily driving between the F10 and the 991.2 ?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 09:27 PM   #51
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

With all the tech in the M5 it is hounds down the better daily. My F10 was much more comfortable and relatively quite. NVH is less in the F10 but then again that's expected. The F10 is not a sports car no matter how fast it is. In the turbo I don't even have a front facing camera much less surround view and no heads-up display, The turbo does have rear wheel steering which makes maneuvering quite easy and of course cornering at the track is phenomenal.

If I were not tracking the turbo 10-12 times a year it would be an easy decision to get the M5C. The turbo never sweats. I'm up over 150 mph in 3 areas at RA and well over 160 mph before braking into turn one every lap, lap after lap and the turbo never sweats. ( although I do

Bottom line for me is that the turbo feels more special because of what it doesn't have and what it can do on track. I run with GT3s on fast tracks like Road America, Autobahn Country Club, Mid Ohio, Road Atlanta, etc. Many racers give me the nod when they see what a turbo can do and that I drive it 1000 miles and back to do it. I've done the same in my F10 just not quite as fast. 😎
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      12-28-2018, 09:40 PM   #52
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
With all the tech in the M5 it is hounds down the better daily. Heck I don't even have a front facing camera much less surround view in the turbo and no heads-up display, The turbo does have rear wheel steering which makes maneuvering quite easy and of course cornering at the track is phenomenal.

If I were not tracking the turbo 10-12 times a year it would be an easy decision to get the M5C. The turbo never sweats. I'm up over 150 mph in 3 areas at RA and well over 160 mph before braking into turn one every lap, lap after lap and the turbo never sweats. ( although I do

Bottom line for me is that the turbo feels more special because of what it doesn't have and what it can do on track. I run with GT3s on fast tracks like Road America, Autobahn Country Club, Mid Ohio, Road Atlanta, etc. Many racers give me the nod when they see what a turbo can do and that I drive it 1000 miles and back to do it. I've done the same in my F10 just not quite as fast. 😎
I did a Porsche Experience where we did ride alongs with instructors going hard in Turbos around Barber, lap after lap in 90 degree weather; later doing launch control a dozen times in a row. The car did it without skipping a beat.

That experience alone convinced me to buy my own. These are tough cars with vicious performance.
Appreciate 2
vtknight966.50
soooma1373.00
      12-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #53
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
With all the tech in the M5 it is hounds down the better daily. My F10 was much more comfortable and relatively quite. NVH is less in the F10 but then again that's expected. The F10 is not a sports car no matter how fast it is. In the turbo I don't even have a front facing camera much less surround view and no heads-up display, The turbo does have rear wheel steering which makes maneuvering quite easy and of course cornering at the track is phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotk View Post
I did a Porsche Experience where we did ride alongs with instructors going hard in Turbos around Barber, lap after lap in 90 degree weather; later doing launch control a dozen times in a row. The car did it without skipping a beat.

That experience alone convinced me to buy my own. These are tough cars with vicious performance.
This is literally the reason I am going with the 991.2 Turbo S winter 2019 (as the 992.1 Turbo S is likely out for Spring/Summer 2020 - I really like the body - the interior not so much - although I am sure the performance will be insane).

The Turbo S run 10.5.10.7's at 131-133 MPH bone stock and can race all day - drags and road course - while still being completely livable and luxurious to drive (so says every Mag write up by every reviewer.).

Some of the new tuning work coming up is also pretty impressive - FBO packages looking to touch 9's at 145 MPH. And the stock internals - trans and clutch are so solid. It is a difficult platform to beat for the price point.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 02:27 AM   #54
Catchmeifyoucanf90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f90 white m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHURACAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchmeifyoucanf90 View Post
Well I just raced a 2018 911 turbo s and won the race from 0-120, so if you looking for the faster car. I'd rather pay 100k over 180k.

Ps, my m5 is tuned

Also, ps the tuned m5 can keep up with a supercharged hurcane lambo
A supercharged huracan traps over 140mph. I highly doubt an M5 with a tune can run with one///
Ight, well never said past 140mph but 0-80 super close and then once it hits anything after that , that thing takes off but I wasn't even on map 7 so ya m5 can maybe keep up, I have to re race my friend to see on map 7 but def smoked 911 turbo s my other friends car, 0-120 after that I left off , can't be doing them speeds in Los Angeles
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 07:49 AM   #55
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
This is literally the reason I am going with the 991.2 Turbo S winter 2019 (as the 992.1 Turbo S is likely out for Spring/Summer 2020 - I really like the body - the interior not so much - although I am sure the performance will be insane).

The Turbo S run 10.5.10.7's at 131-133 MPH bone stock and can race all day - drags and road course - while still being completely livable and luxurious to drive (so says every Mag write up by every reviewer.).

Some of the new tuning work coming up is also pretty impressive - FBO packages looking to touch 9's at 145 MPH. And the stock internals - trans and clutch are so solid. It is a difficult platform to beat for the price point.
Are you going to the dark side too ? I’ve been working a trade with my X5M for a 991.2,TTS. Just not sure yet if it is enough. Locally, I’ve seen it 0.3 and 3mph faster than a stock F90. Chipped F90 was equal to a pure stock 991.2 TTS. On a road track, TTS hands down, but none are near me. TTS flash tune would move the bar but kills the warranty. I’m still looking for TTS RaceChip adders. Interior noise, F90 is 66dB at 70mph. TTS is 74. FWIW.

Last edited by onfireX5; 12-30-2018 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      12-30-2018, 10:21 AM   #56
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Are you going to the dark side too ? I’ve been working a trade with my X5M for a 991.2,TTS. Just not sure yet if it is enough. Locally, I’ve seen it 0.3 and 3mph faster than a stock F90. Chipped F90 was equal to a pure stock 991.2 TTS. On a road track, TTS hands down, but none are near me. TTS flash tune would move the bar but kills the warranty. I’m still looking for TTS RaceChip adders. Interior noise, F90 is 66dB at 70mph. TTS is 74. FWIW.
When I go 991.2 TTS the winter of 2019 - I will keep it stock initially to see if I am getting the 10.5-10.7 1/4 times I have seen and my friends have gotten elsewhere. Just as a baseline. I am willing to go FBO tops. Nothing more. I am looking at ES motors right now. I have a buddy who is trying something with them first - and I will let you know the results. He is well versed in modding.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #57
zstoja
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosM4 View Post
I have never owned an 991.2 Turbo, but I have driven it countless times. Trust me, the M5 may be a nicer car overall (due to features, tech, and all the gyzmos, and usability), but the Porsche is a far superior sports cars (much more focused handling, and immeadiate response to commands). The M5 is good as it gets in terms of a 4 door coming close to the 991.2 Turbo

If you don't care about driving dynamics and want straight line speed, then the M5 stock is pretty evenly matched and has more tuning potential.
Interesting. I found myself in your logic. What I, in fact, need is fast response car, speed is not so important, even power. Of course, some power and speed must be in it. That is reason I always enjoy on curved road.

Can somebody recommend other than Porsche with the same property?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #58
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Interesting thread. As both an F10 and 991.2 Turbo (non S) owner i can say I'm a huge fan of both but for different reasons. I agree with those saying the F90 is an over achiever. It's definitely the sleeper of the two. Great comfort and has all the tech goodies. Now that the F90 has AWD it makes for one very quick and fast street car. That's what the turbo laid claim too through several generations. It was simply one of the quickest stock street cars you could buy and any idiot could launch it (I'm proof of that) anytime they wanted and as many times as they wanted.

I used to get frustrated when launching my F10 because I couldn't count on LC working whenever I wanted it too. The Porsche LC is just too easy making access to all the performance easier and providing confidence that it will be there all the time, every time. I think there is something to be said for that when engaging in "public road acceleration comparison tests" from a dig. I always knew my F10 was fast but when you're sitting in a turbo, you never once worry about getting maximum performance no matter the conditions.

All that said, now with AWD and more power I'm back looking at the M5C and trying to compare it to the upcoming 992 Turbo S. Money certainly plays a factor but if the rumors are true about the performance and power of the 992 turbo, that will change the discussion.

Still, these are great problems to have. 😎
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      01-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #59
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Interesting thread. As both an F10 and 991.2 Turbo (non S) owner i can say I'm a huge fan of both but for different reasons. I agree with those saying the F90 is an over achiever. It's definitely the sleeper of the two. Great comfort and has all the tech goodies. Now that the F90 has AWD it makes for one very quick and fast street car. That's what the turbo laid claim too through several generations. It was simply one of the quickest stock street cars you could buy and any idiot could launch it (I'm proof of that) anytime they wanted and as many times as they wanted.

I used to get frustrated when launching my F10 because I couldn't count on LC working whenever I wanted it too. The Porsche LC is just too easy making access to all the performance easier and providing confidence that it will be there all the time, every time. I think there is something to be said for that when engaging in "public road acceleration comparison tests" from a dig. I always knew my F10 was fast but when you're sitting in a turbo, you never once worry about getting maximum performance no matter the conditions.

All that said, now with AWD and more power I'm back looking at the M5C and trying to compare it to the upcoming 992 Turbo S. Money certainly plays a factor but if the rumors are true about the performance and power of the 992 turbo, that will change the discussion.

Still, these are great problems to have. 😎
I just ordered a 991.2 TTS. Started to wait on the 992 , but the Nav controlling performance was a BIG turn off for me. Plus the integrated active aero for a smooth rear fascia. Cobb will equalize the power bump for me. But, 992 or 991 great options either way. I can’t wait to Dragy shootout the 991.2 pure stock vs my F90 RaceChip on the same day......
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      01-11-2019, 11:42 PM   #60
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
I just ordered a 991.2 TTS. Started to wait on the 992 , but the Nav controlling performance was a BIG turn off for me. Plus the integrated active aero for a smooth rear fascia. Cobb will equalize the power bump for me. But, 992 or 991 great options either way. I can’t wait to Dragy shootout the 991.2 pure stock vs my F90 RaceChip on the same day......
I'd call you an a$$h0le but that would just be jealousy lol. That purchase came out of nowhere - congrats on what will be the best all round performance car out there (from my research anyway). I hope to join you soon!
Appreciate 1
onfireX53616.50
      01-12-2019, 07:57 AM   #61
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
I'd call you an a$$h0le but that would just be jealousy lol. That purchase came out of nowhere - congrats on what will be the best all round performance car out there (from my research anyway). I hope to join you soon!
I probably have 10 new cars left in my lifetime, so I’m in test mode.

I’m still skeptical. Made the F90 my daily and I’ve not done that since 1982. The F90 is that much an Over Achiever. It impressed me every day. 911 has a high bar to cross. At my elevation, a 10.8 at 130mph and a 2.7 yo 60mph is getting it done. I’m at V210. Should arrive in April. Pain to get since they only sell 300ish per year in the States. Don’t think it will move me out of M Town.
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      01-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #62
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

I went from f10 M5 to 991.1 TTS. While the 911 is super fun and as mentioned go cart like, it is much less practical and less comfortable than the M5. It also gets a lot more attention which I don't care for. My TTS has an exhaust and a tune so it is plenty fast but I must say that I miss the luxury and comfort combined with the sleeper status of the M5. I'm patiently waiting for the LCI F90 before I make a decision.
Attached Images

Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 2
soooma1373.00
vtknight966.50
      01-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #63
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
I went from f10 M5 to 991.1 TTS. While the 911 is super fun and as mentioned go cart like, it is much less practical and less comfortable than the M5. It also gets a lot more attention which I don't care for. My TTS has an exhaust and a tune so it is plenty fast but I must say that I miss the luxury and comfort combined with the sleeper status of the M5. I'm patiently waiting for the LCI F90 before I make a decision.
White with the black inlets is a stunning color. Looks awesome! I went black on black to mute it down some.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #64
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Which tune ? Did you have to remove the DME ?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #65
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Which tune ? Did you have to remove the DME ?
COBB stage 2. Self install takes 15 mins.
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:32 AM   #66
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have to agree with what has been said before. The mere fact that a luxury sedan is being compared to an iconic sports car is mind blowing.

These days with respect to performance and comfort and practicality one really can have their cake and eat it too. Bravo BMW.
BSM/Black
Appreciate 2
soooma1373.00
vtknight966.50