BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    2020 M5 Comp EU-spec sound & Performance

02-17-2020, 02:22 AM   #1
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 ZCP 2017, 540ix 18 G31

Garage List
2020 M5 Comp EU-spec sound & Performance

Hello!

I am currently a very happy 2017 F80 Comp and a 2018 G31 540iX Wagon owner, however I've been thinking of trading in the Wagon for a M5 Comp.
Both my wife and I drove it and we're in love. It's just such a special car.

However, EU-spec cars from 2020 seem to get both the ugly new instrument cluster as well as additional OPF-filters and muffling?

Is that so? Has anyone gotten a relatively new M5 Comp delivered in EU and is it significantly silenced?
I have understood that the crackles and pops are gone and I am fine with that, this is going to be our main family car, so it is good that it doesnt' do juvenile stuff (and also, my M3 has the M-performance sport exhaust and is LOUD a plenty ) but does it still sounds like a sporty sedan or is it completely emasculated?

Also, is there any measurable difference in performance? Are the new cars more reluctant to rev due to the additional filtering?

The choice becomes 1) option a new M5 as I see fit or 2) hunt down a good 2018-9 example

Also, I understand that the new cars cannot fit the M-performance exhaust anymore, is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 04:48 AM   #2
stewie177
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lotus Exige 410

I picked mine up on Friday - a December build.

It has the sports exhaust as standard on the comp, but there are no pops and bangs, albeit, I am only running in at the moment.

The dash isn't that bad, and once you know where things are, it's quite easy to navigate, though the tachometer going the 'wrong' way is odd.

I cannot comment on the performance, but I must say the grip, even in the dire UK weather from the front is outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #3
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Hey,

Thanks and congratulations on your sweet ride!
What tires is it running?

Disregarding the pops&bangs, does it sound "good"?
I know that is highly subjective, but does it sounds like a powerful V8 saloon or is it extra muted?
Also, does the sport-exhaust button inside the car actually change the tone/intensity of the exhaust or does it just pipe more sound inside the cabin?

Are you on PS4S tires? Yes, they have a ton of grip!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 02:24 AM   #4
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C, '17 911 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap-xpilot View Post
Hello!

I am currently a very happy 2017 F80 Comp and a 2018 G31 540iX Wagon owner, however I've been thinking of trading in the Wagon for a M5 Comp.
Both my wife and I drove it and we're in love. It's just such a special car.

However, EU-spec cars from 2020 seem to get both the ugly new instrument cluster as well as additional OPF-filters and muffling?

Is that so? Has anyone gotten a relatively new M5 Comp delivered in EU and is it significantly silenced?
I have understood that the crackles and pops are gone and I am fine with that, this is going to be our main family car, so it is good that it doesnt' do juvenile stuff (and also, my M3 has the M-performance sport exhaust and is LOUD a plenty ) but does it still sounds like a sporty sedan or is it completely emasculated?

Also, is there any measurable difference in performance? Are the new cars more reluctant to rev due to the additional filtering?

The choice becomes 1) option a new M5 as I see fit or 2) hunt down a good 2018-9 example

Also, I understand that the new cars cannot fit the M-performance exhaust anymore, is this correct?
OPF is fitted since 7/2018, so all EU cars manufactured after that date (all comps essentially) have an OPF. OPF fitted cars are in no way slower than non-opf cars (pre 7/2018). If you don't miss the pops and bangs, then you have nothing to worry about performance wise.
      02-18-2020, 05:13 AM   #5
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolov View Post
OPF is fitted since 7/2018, so all EU cars manufactured after that date (all comps essentially) have an OPF. OPF fitted cars are in no way slower than non-opf cars (pre 7/2018). If you don't miss the pops and bangs, then you have nothing to worry about performance wise.
Николов,
мерси много!

Thanks for answering this, I always wondered about this, I've seen cars 2019 models that have pops and bangs, but maybe they were manufactured earlier...

Anyways, listening to M8 Comps on Youtube (not that is an accurate channel in any way) they do seem to have a relatively sporty and muscular sound, do you know whether there is a big difference between the sound tuning of the M5C vs the M8C?

Joe Achilles had a video recently of a M5C which he claims is a 2019 model which sounded superb
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 05:15 AM   #6
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep

Cars manufactured past 7/2019 don't have pops and bangs. Otherwise I'd say the sound is identical to pre 7/2019 cars - all the hardware is identical, the pops and bangs is a software change.
      02-18-2020, 01:05 PM   #7
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

So sad not to have pops n bangs sure the engine at operation temp and in Sport+ mode, exhaust flaps open?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:10 PM   #8
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, this has been discussed extensively in a couple of other threads already. Cars post 7/2019 had pops and bangs removed in order to comply with EU sound regulations. You can get them back with an ECU tune (even without changing power output), but that could potentially void your warranty.