BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Presenting the AWE S-FLO Carbon Intake Suite for the F9X M5/M8. Available now.

12-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #23
Josh/AWE
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

Receive 15% off all AWE BMW products, available through participating dealers and at AWE-Tuning.com.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 12:06 AM   #24
F90BSM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh/AWE View Post
Receive 15% off all AWE BMW products, available through participating dealers and at AWE-Tuning.com.

OP, why did you guys decide to go with a semi closed box vs a fully closed box? That's a major concern for people who are performance driven like myself where I chose to race the car on various occasions under various weather conditions, especially in the summer months when it's hot and humid. By leaving the box somewhat open, anytime the car isn't moving at higher speeds the intake will be sucking in all the hot engine air from the bay therefore defeating the purpose of the "cold" air intake. I'm just curious as to what are the benefits of this vs the stock boxes? I understand that in theory the larger surface filter area sounds great bc it makes you think that the bigger the filter the more air in, but that's not really how the car is thinking it. It will close the throttle no matter how much air is being rammed in, its only going to take what it can handle. I'm not criticizing the intake, looks great I agree, but for close to 2K, I just don't see it. Again, this is coming from a person that races the car at minimum 3-4 1/2 mile events over the summer, almost non stop highway racing, and some 1/4 mile events even though not a fan of the 1/4 mile.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #25
Josh/AWE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90BSM5 View Post
OP, why did you guys decide to go with a semi closed box vs a fully closed box? That's a major concern for people who are performance driven like myself where I chose to race the car on various occasions under various weather conditions, especially in the summer months when it's hot and humid. By leaving the box somewhat open, anytime the car isn't moving at higher speeds the intake will be sucking in all the hot engine air from the bay therefore defeating the purpose of the "cold" air intake. I'm just curious as to what are the benefits of this vs the stock boxes? I understand that in theory the larger surface filter area sounds great bc it makes you think that the bigger the filter the more air in, but that's not really how the car is thinking it. It will close the throttle no matter how much air is being rammed in, its only going to take what it can handle. I'm not criticizing the intake, looks great I agree, but for close to 2K, I just don't see it. Again, this is coming from a person that races the car at minimum 3-4 1/2 mile events over the summer, almost non stop highway racing, and some 1/4 mile events even though not a fan of the 1/4 mile.

Thanks for asking.

We chose to go with a minimal design that placed the carbon shrouds in an area that would deem success/optimization for proper heat rejection. We also included geometry that interfaced with the factory air inlets that would provide optimal ram air to the filters, facilitating high velocity cool air into the intake inlets.

From our extensive testing, it was proven that this hybrid design does not suffer from the heat soak of an open element configuration.

Furthermore, the ram air effect can be increased by the addition of the S-FLO Carbon Grille Inlets due to their design in allowing the velocity from the front end of the car to be directly transferred to the filter, whereas the factory inlets project upwards, minimizing the ram air effect.

Also, of note, the proven gains from the S-FLO Carbon Intake system was on a vehicle with factory software. We were sure to design an intake that could facilitate further gains for drivers who are going the more modified route with their vehicles.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #26
Josh/AWE
Rep

AWE S-FLO Carbon Intakes are ready to ship. Learn more right this way.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 12:16 PM   #27
Sara/AWE
Vendor
Rep
Drives: E46

Change intake volume in seconds by converting between covered and uncovered. Photos courtesy of @iam5low. Learn more about the AWE S-FLO Carbon Intake Suite right this way.

https://i.postimg.cc/k5JmLpcR/731675...59565968-n.jpg
Appreciate 0