BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Planning on getting an F90 M5 next. Anything I should be aware of?

09-09-2023, 06:50 PM   #1
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Planning on getting an F90 M5 next. Anything I should be aware of?

Hey everyone,

I wanted a G80 M3 xdrive for the longest time but am seeing that they are priced so high and it will be nearly impossible to get one for a decent price. I then started looking at F90 M5s and drove one today and fell in love with it. I plan on making the switch to an F90 sometime in the near future from my M2 Comp and am wondering a couple of things:

- Common issues with the S63 engine/F90 in general?
- Is the LCI worth the price over the pre-LCI?
- Absolutely essential options on an F90 (comp pack, exec pack, etc.)
- and pretty much anything else I need to know about F90 ownership.

Thanks!

Past: 2022 330i RWD
2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 07:06 PM   #2
Pturbony
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Garage List
Squeaky brakes. Other than that - I love mine!
Appreciate 2
dcohen13682.00
Aronis2274.00
      09-09-2023, 07:26 PM   #3
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturbony View Post
Squeaky brakes. Other than that - I love mine!
I've had no shortage of that in all the bimmers I've driven... So far so good

Past: 2022 330i RWD
2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 1
Aronis2274.00
      09-09-2023, 07:58 PM   #4
m4dman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CS

I was on the same boat. Came from a f82 and hands down m5 is just another animal it’s more luxurious and bigger and when you punch the throttle it just puts you back in the seat like no tommorow. I’m not saying the g80 doesn’t but it’s hard to compare both cars. M5 is more of a grand cruiser that you can still have fun in !
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 09:34 PM   #5
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsignalslol View Post
Hey everyone,

I wanted a G80 M3 xdrive for the longest time but am seeing that they are priced so high and it will be nearly impossible to get one for a decent price. I then started looking at F90 M5s and drove one today and fell in love with it. I plan on making the switch to an F90 sometime in the near future from my M2 Comp and am wondering a couple of things:

- Common issues with the S63 engine/F90 in general?
- Is the LCI worth the price over the pre-LCI?
- Absolutely essential options on an F90 (comp pack, exec pack, etc.)
- and pretty much anything else I need to know about F90 ownership.

Thanks!
With the exception of the handling, and track capabilities, the M5 is a better car in nearly every way...

Not a lot of common issues on the f90. Like mentioned,
-the squeaky brakes but thats not an f90 issue thats a bmw issue.
-coolant tank leaking
these the the main 2 things that people report unless you start heavily modifying it.

LCI is only worth it if you value a newer car, and lower miles (if lower miles).
-The looks are subjective, some like the LCI, some dont.
-The car is basically the same.
-If I was looking at a 2020 M5 Comp that had 10k miles and it was $80,000.00, or a 2021 LCI M5 Comp with same or similar spec, and it had 30K miles and was also $80,000.00, I would go with the 2020.
-If I was comparing the same cars and the 2020 had 15k miles, and was 80,000.00 and the 2021 had 20k miles and was 83,000.00 I would go with the 2021. (hope this makes sense) you're not paying more because its an "LCI". You'll pay more because it's newer, and usually less miles. But the spec is also important in that equation. The car is the same for all intents and purposes.

-comps only came in 2019 and up. So pre-lci you have 2019, and 2020 to chose from. LCI 2021-2023.

My f90 comp is the best car ive ever owned in terms of performance, luxury, tech, comfort, etc. It's a tough car to beat. LCI or not.
Appreciate 5
      09-10-2023, 06:24 AM   #6
willyp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5C, M3CS, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnotrom711 View Post
With the exception of the handling, and track capabilities, the M5 is a better car in nearly every way...

-coolant tank leaking
these the the main 2 things that people report unless you start heavily modifying it.

LCI is only worth it if you value a newer car, and lower miles (if lower miles).
-If I was looking at a 2020 M5 Comp that had 10k miles and it was $80,000.00, or a 2021 LCI M5 Comp with same or similar spec, and it had 30K miles and was also $80,000.00, I would go with the 2020.
-If I was comparing the same cars and the 2020 had 15k miles, and was 80,000.00 and the 2021 had 20k miles and was 83,000.00 I would go with the 2021. (hope this makes sense) you're not paying more because its an "LCI". You'll pay more because it's newer, and usually less miles. But the spec is also important in that equation. The car is the same for all intents and purposes.

-comps only came in 2019 and up. So pre-lci you have 2019, and 2020 to chose from. LCI 2021-2023.

My f90 comp is the best car ive ever owned in terms of performance, luxury, tech, comfort, etc. It's a tough car to beat. LCI or not.
Very well said, awesome car to daily, a little big and heavy IMO, especially if you are comparing to a G80 but thats nice if you have a family or travel a lot.

Comp package (exhaust and suspension bits) was important for me personally and so was the executive package (soft close doors, massaging and vented front seats, 360* camera, etc.)

Agreed as well, awesome car and the best daily Ive ever owned, bought another one before they cut off orders I liked it so much and there are several people on here who have bought way more than 2
      09-10-2023, 11:13 AM   #7
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

As said by others, coolant tank leaking tends to be the most annoying one I see crop up quite often, also can soak the injectors as I read from another member so just a heads up to not let it stay un touched for too long.

If you plan to mod it past stage one it’s worth building the engine so the rods at least don’t push through the engine block.

In a similar market as yourself currently having an F87 and giving time to see what the G90 is all about but the F90 has been calling my name especially with the amount of seen lately as I’ve grown interest in it. Only difference is that my F87 with how much of modded and love it will be a long time keeper with an F90 or another M sedan to join it for long haul drives.

Also if you care for sound, do try and find a spec with the B&W. There aren’t many of them on the market at the moment as I’ve looked across the country but I’m sure they’ll start popping up and the sound plus aesthetic of the speakers themselves within the cabin makes it worth if you can swing it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 10:47 PM   #8
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M5C

Quote:

-coolant tank leaking

I don't speak from experience as my '22 M5C is my first M5, but from what I've read on this forum, the LCI suspension is a much softer and more tolerable ride than pre-LCI. Other than that, agreed.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2023, 11:25 PM   #9
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmike View Post
I don't speak from experience as my '22 M5C is my first M5, but from what I've read on this forum, the LCI suspension is a much softer and more tolerable ride than pre-LCI. Other than that, agreed.
Yes there is certainly differences between the lci and pre. That’s one of them.

I was simply stating they’re the same car and there isn’t significant “upgrades” necessarily that one should pay extra for.

The added cost will be from it being newer and probably less miles.

Nearly all the lci and pre differences are subjective to the person and a lot of times these questions are framed in way to make it seem like the lci is a big upgrade or a better model than the pre. The cars are the same with some minor differences and most of those differences are aesthetics that you can’t really quantify in dollars other than newer and maybe less miles. That’s why the car is more expensive on average , not because one is better or worse.
Appreciate 2
omgmike359.00
DavidXJ664.50
      09-11-2023, 12:06 AM   #10
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes there is certainly differences between the lci and pre. That’s one of them.

I was simply stating they’re the same car and there isn’t significant “upgrades” necessarily that one should pay extra for.

The added cost will be from it being newer and probably less miles.

Nearly all the lci and pre differences are subjective to the person and a lot of times these questions are framed in way to make it seem like the lci is a big upgrade or a better model than the pre. The cars are the same with some minor differences and most of those differences are aesthetics that you can’t really quantify in dollars other than newer and maybe less miles. That’s why the car is more expensive on average , not because one is better or worse.
No disagreement from me! I will say though that for someone with reoccurring back issues, the softer, more tolerable ride in Comfort setting is incredibly welcoming. If I had to drive around in Sport, which I believe is what pre-LCI Comfort mode is very close to, I'd have already traded in my M5C for something else like an RS Q8 with a much softer all around ride. Not that I don't love my M5C, but with a bad back, it can be taxing on days where my back is flaring up.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2023, 11:36 AM   #11
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
No disagreement from me! I will say though that for someone with reoccurring back issues, the softer, more tolerable ride in Comfort setting is incredibly welcoming. If I had to drive around in Sport, which I believe is what pre-LCI Comfort mode is very close to, I'd have already traded in my M5C for something else like an RS Q8 with a much softer all around ride. Not that I don't love my M5C, but with a bad back, it can be taxing on days where my back is flaring up.
Agree 100%. My back is in bad shape also, and I know what you mean. It can be a little stiff. I personally like/don't mind the stiffness, makes me feel more connected to the road. But agree it can be stiff, especially in areas with bad roads. Luckily I don’t really have to commute and deal with it too much. But I do agree!

Last edited by jnotrom711; 09-11-2023 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
omgmike359.00
      09-11-2023, 02:32 PM   #12
smbsocal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 M5, '59 C1, '23 X6

I got rid of a MB C63s after a year due to how bad the suspension was (I have a bad neck and back).

I went with a base LCI F90 for the softer suspension and can say that the suspension is comfortable enough for those with neck and back issues without being soft and spongy.

Of course if they implemented GMs magnetic suspension it would bring the car to another level.

The only things I have run into is topping off the coolant and replacing the summer tires with all season tires (the summer tires are terrible in the cold).
Appreciate 1
omgmike359.00
      09-11-2023, 07:28 PM   #13
XX - M5 - XX
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

2018 models don't have a "rock guard" installed on the front radiator. A light/small rock coming through the front grill and cracking it is a legit risk. Happened to me, so call me biased heh. The leaking coolant, as you'd expect, sends the car into a sort of limp mode until fixed. Cost me $3000 to fix it at the dealership given warranty doesn't cover "external" causes, like the rock. Related thread.

2019+ models all have the rock guard installed, as far as I've researched.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 11:43 AM   #14
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Agree 100%. My back is in bad shape also, and I know what you mean. It can be a little stiff. I personally like/don't mind the stiffness, makes me feel more connected to the road. But agree it can be stiff, especially in areas with bad roads. Luckily I don’t really have to commute and deal with it too much. But I do agree!
Completely agreed on feeling more connected to the road with the extra stiffness. Definitely makes me feel more confident in handling the car, just sucks on those days when my back is killing me!
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2023, 02:07 PM   #15
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Completely agreed on feeling more connected to the road with the extra stiffness. Definitely makes me feel more confident in handling the car, just sucks on those days when my back is killing me!
Agree, those days (and a lot of days since buying it), I take the wife's G63. Not quite luxury smooth, which its not supposed to be, but its definitely smoother and softer than my M5C.

I wonder.... the the LCI in sport vs Pre-LCI in comfort feeling the same... Is Sport + in both the same stiffness? Is it only on the softer settings there the pre-lci is so much stiffer?

Also, not sure, but is it a spring stiffness difference ? Or damper? Simply a tuning type adjustment BMW made? Or the all of the above?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 06:39 PM   #16
DEW67
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 Comp

Just when I think the squeal is gone, it comes right back. Within the first few hundred miles of having my 2023 M5C, the squeaking began. I spoke with my service advisor and he sent me a YouTube video showing other M5s squeaking. Hmmmm.

That is the only issue I've experienced. I'm 100% happy with mine. Mine is a daily driver and it makes the commute enjoyable. My kids love driving to school in it too (I'm driving not them).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 02:28 PM   #17
leftlanelarry
Rep
Drives: 22 BSM M5 comp

Have a 22M5C and love it. One of the easiest, most enjoyable purchases i have ever made. Do it if you can.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 09:12 PM   #18
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEW67 View Post
Just when I think the squeal is gone, it comes right back. Within the first few hundred miles of having my 2023 M5C, the squeaking began. I spoke with my service advisor and he sent me a YouTube video showing other M5s squeaking. Hmmmm.

That is the only issue I've experienced. I'm 100% happy with mine. Mine is a daily driver and it makes the commute enjoyable. My kids love driving to school in it too (I'm driving not them).
Squeak? You mean your brakes? Metal or CCBs?

Even my CCBs end up squeaking a fair bit -- drives me nuts given what they cost, but seems to typically be from a build up of brake dust/dirt and going to long between really working them and heating them up. Usually a car wash, or if I should be so lucky, some rain, gets rid of the squeak for a while until I rinse/lather/repeat with the dry conditions.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 06:26 AM   #19
damianwo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

When at automatic carwash and the car is rolling on tracks in neutral, I cannot put it into D from N without pressing the brake pedal which in fact stops the carwash track for a second or two. Same concept when I want to three point turn and the car has to be at a complete stop or it won’t shift. I can live with it but could be fixed imo.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 08:24 AM   #20
justanotheruser
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Hi turnsignalslol,

Picked up my 2018 M5 a few weeks ago, this is what I've noticed in person and on the fourms to look out for:

Coolant Tank, they're known to fail and since they're above the sparks there's a very high chance that you'll have to replace the tank and plugs, not fun labour wise.
Planning on purchasing this soon since some fourm users have it https://1evel.us/products/f90-m5-f9x...lant-catch-pan

If you're getting a 2018 a rock guard for the front rad is a must, hearing some are paying more than 2k+ for a repair.. Calling my insurance today to see if they're willing to cover with comprehensive. PM me if you'd like to know more, I'm buying one soon.

Spark plugs, make sure you're on top of changing them a bit earlier, same with oil - from my mechanic.

Fuel tank sensor, mine failed before I bought from dealership so it was replaced right away.

Had my vaccum pump fail before pick up, keep a eye out on higher rpms, stutter, etc.

If you're adding dashcam, radar detector or laser jammers, just a heads up you don't have a typical battery but a lithiom one, drain fast etc. Since I'm running all 3 my dashcam has a battery backup which only charges when the car is on, detector and jammers are powered on / off when car is turned on.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 03:41 PM   #21
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsocal View Post
I got rid of a MB C63s after a year due to how bad the suspension was (I have a bad neck and back).

I went with a base LCI F90 for the softer suspension and can say that the suspension is comfortable enough for those with neck and back issues without being soft and spongy.

Of course if they implemented GMs magnetic suspension it would bring the car to another level.

The only things I have run into is topping off the coolant and replacing the summer tires with all season tires (the summer tires are terrible in the cold).
Not to derail the thread, but it's interesting to hear your views coming from a C63: I was thinking about one myself a year or so ago, but was loyal to the idea and prestige of a M5! However, there's no doubt that C63s sound awesome (especially over here in the UK where everything else with a V8 is being muted) so they still have a certain charisma. But for that very reason, I concluded that I'd basically getting the car for the engine map and exhaust alone, as the interior quality and teeny back seats obviously didn't make it as appealing as the F90. Intrigued to hear your take on the suspension: that would be a dealbreaker here, given our potholes...!

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0