BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Coolant Expansion Tank

04-24-2024, 12:04 AM   #67
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
I would love to be able to DIY something like that, but it requires a full lift (not QuickJack). And a 2nd car to drive for the many days it would take me to complete the task.

There was a thread on an F10 forum about someone doing their own valve stem seal replacement (which BMW had trouble with on that gen N/S63 but theoretically fixed). It looks like a huge job but something I would rather DIY then trust the new hire lube tech at the dealer to do.

Keep in mind all tunes can cause issues. The manufacture builds all kinds of margin into the factory tune to cover high altitude, extreme temps, variable fuel quality, fuel efficiency, reliability, and who know what else. Tunes take some of that margin away to give you more power. So you always run the risk that something bad can happen because the tune doesn't have as much margin left. Like a lean condition on 1 cylinder. But most of the time it's fine which is why so many people get away with it. But it is very telling that pretty much every used car advice thread says walk away if ever tuned. What does that tell you?

When I had my 09 CTS-V many people tuned and changed the pulley to get more power. I felt like the risk was never worth it, even out of warranty. Especially since I'm WOT every chance I get. The statistics would catch up to me so I want the manufacturer's margin in place. FWIW I sold that car after 14 years with 104k miles, having bounced off the rev limiter countless times.

Oz M5 I hope you get your car back together soon and hopefully it isn't too bad. And I hope that stop [...]
Thinking about a LCI F90 to eventually replace my preLCI M550. Theoretically, how would I be able to tell if a car had been previously tuned? I always buy cars with good history and try to stay about 30k miles or less and one owner. But with a high performance car, that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been abused and kept pristine aesthetically. Any advice on vetting a preowned M car is appreciated. Would be my first and a daily driver.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 03:54 AM   #68
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Thinking about a LCI F90 to eventually replace my preLCI M550. Theoretically, how would I be able to tell if a car had been previously tuned? I always buy cars with good history and try to stay about 30k miles or less and one owner. But with a high performance car, that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been abused and kept pristine aesthetically. Any advice on vetting a preowned M car is appreciated. Would be my first and a daily driver.
Why do you not want a car that has been "tuned"? I see many post here from owners indicating they have "tuned" their cars and driven tens of thousands of miles with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 04:15 AM   #69
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Why do you not want a car that has been "tuned"? I see many post here from owners indicating they have "tuned" their cars and driven tens of thousands of miles with no issues.
I think it makes sense to prefer to buy an unmodified vehicle for different reasons.

Personally, if I was in the market for a new vehicle, I would want it 100% original.
Appreciate 2
NGT25674.50
      04-24-2024, 07:17 AM   #70
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Not saying tuned cars can’t be great and well maintained. Just a general statement about evaluating used cars. And also my question was directly responding to his comment about it.

Appreciate 1
Alberta2038.00
      04-25-2024, 07:49 AM   #71
catalincarciun
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneM3 View Post
I don't know why I did not see this before when searching about the tanks.

I already had mine replaced under warranty and it became a big issue a few months later after it had leaked on the injectors and they failed. The dealer blamed my tune and said I had a blown head gasket which caused "overpressurization" of the tank. They wanted $9,000+ to fix it. I brought it to BMW of NYC (which is owned by BMW) and they fixed it under warranty and confirmed that I did not have a blown head gasket.
It happened to mine as well, 100% stock. I got the 'fill up coolant' message just in time, it didn't affect any injector. I had all my injectors replaced + tank, etc under the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 10:28 PM   #72
TFBravo
Some Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 GX460, 2022 M5C

Garage List
Rejoice and give a prayer to the V8 God! BMW is about to release a recall in regard to the Expansion tank. I was just getting the 2 year maintenance done and the service tech said the recall is about to roll out. Only took 6 years huh?
Don't know any more details as to what models years will be included, hopefully the entire F90 generation.

I wonder if they've improved the tank for the S68 engine, and that's what we're about to get.
Appreciate 1
jzy44.50
      05-02-2024, 11:41 PM   #73
jzy
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 G30, '21 F90

Well that is some good news indeed!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 09:59 AM   #74
S EyeLand
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFBravo View Post
Rejoice and give a prayer to the V8 God! BMW is about to release a recall in regard to the Expansion tank. I was just getting the 2 year maintenance done and the service tech said the recall is about to roll out. Only took 6 years huh?
Don't know any more details as to what models years will be included, hopefully the entire F90 generation.

I wonder if they've improved the tank for the S68 engine, and that's what we're about to get.
I wonder if the recall will encompass collateral damage like plugs, coils and injectors.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 12:54 PM   #75
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:

If this happens it is very good news. Definitely better late than never.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 02:06 PM   #76
RecoveringAMGFanboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, E93 328i, W202 C43

Quote:

My service advisor said my car is included, and I have a 2018, so I think its all of us!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 07:53 PM   #77
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This is great. Theoretically, if I find a F90 next year then it will already be done.

Appreciate 0