BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    F90 coding

03-08-2023, 10:55 AM   #89
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSHNGRY View Post
You’ll need to do a number of things:

1) disconnect phone from CarPlay
2) put car in battery mode
3) keep doors closed
4) phone should be on airplane mode and connected to the OBDX link dongle

I found it was best to do it when the car was cool and in the garage at night. Otherwise you’ll sweat and get aggravated inside the car due to the lack of air.

Yes- it takes a few minutes for each code when doing this over “air” it’s not as quick moving as you’d think. It does work great though
Glad you mentioned this. Not knowing what you don't know is always the problem, so thanks for helping eliminate some of that. I'm assuming phone goes in airplane mode (but with bluetooth enabled) in order to avoid texts and phone calls from interrupting the process? Does BimmerCode explain when to put the car into battery mode? Just not sure how user friendly the app is to an amateur
      03-08-2023, 11:54 AM   #90
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo View Post
Glad you mentioned this. Not knowing what you don't know is always the problem, so thanks for helping eliminate some of that. I'm assuming phone goes in airplane mode (but with bluetooth enabled) in order to avoid texts and phone calls from interrupting the process? Does BimmerCode explain when to put the car into battery mode? Just not sure how user friendly the app is to an amateur

When I had done this before with my F82, all of these steps weren’t necessary. So when using my previous methods with the F90’i ran into some trouble.

Luckily- BimmerCode includes a super simple step by step trouble shooting guide if the OBD link isn’t read.

You’ll need to triple click your “ignition” button in the car before connecting the phone to the dongle and then following through w the process

The airplane mode is for the calls/texts but I assume to also ensure no other signal interrupts the Bluetooth connection
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 1
windtendo1716.00
      03-08-2023, 12:30 PM   #91
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSHNGRY View Post
You’ll need to do a number of things:

1) disconnect phone from CarPlay
2) put car in battery mode
3) keep doors closed
4) phone should be on airplane mode and connected to the OBDX link dongle

I found it was best to do it when the car was cool and in the garage at night. Otherwise you’ll sweat and get aggravated inside the car due to the lack of air.

Yes- it takes a few minutes for each code when doing this over “air” it’s not as quick moving as you’d think. It does work great though
“Otherwise you’ll sweat and get aggravated inside the car due to the lack of air.”

LOL, Florida problems.
      03-08-2023, 01:21 PM   #92
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
On another note, has anyone been able to get in touch with @Ryan@IND ? I've sent a few messages checking on the status of an order and haven't heard back. He's usually pretty good at responding.
      03-08-2023, 01:42 PM   #93
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
“Otherwise you’ll sweat and get aggravated inside the car due to the lack of air.”

LOL, Florida problems.
You have no idea bro

Appreciate 1
      03-08-2023, 01:43 PM   #94
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo View Post
On another note, has anyone been able to get in touch with @Ryan@IND ? I've sent a few messages checking on the status of an order and haven't heard back. He's usually pretty good at responding.
Vacation!

Appreciate 1
windtendo1716.00
      03-26-2023, 11:26 AM   #95
RichF90M5C
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 Competition

Guys, I’ve been trying to code my car with my current Vgate OBDII, and although I’ve been ble to code a few things, haven’t been able to code out auto stop/ start, or go into Body Domain Controller.

Do I need a new adaptor, or can that not be coded out on the F90? I also tried coding my wife’s new F40 1 Series, but had the same issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 01:27 PM   #96
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF90M5C View Post
Guys, I’ve been trying to code my car with my current Vgate OBDII, and although I’ve been ble to code a few things, haven’t been able to code out auto stop/ start, or go into Body Domain Controller.

Do I need a new adaptor, or can that not be coded out on the F90? I also tried coding my wife’s new F40 1 Series, but had the same issue.
Do UK market cars not have the auto stop/start on/off button below the engine start button that has the memory function to remember what you’ve set it to?

I don’t have any experience with VGate, but with BimmerCode and this official BimmerCode dongle, you can code the auto stop/start to “active” or “inactive” — at least for US market cars.

BimmerCode F90 Features List

I know you’ve already purchased the equipment you have so you probably want to make that work understandably. But if you can’t, this may be a viable option for you.
      03-26-2023, 02:44 PM   #97
RichF90M5C
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Do UK market cars not have the auto stop/start on/off button below the engine start button that has the memory function to remember what you’ve set it to?

I don’t have any experience with VGate, but with BimmerCode and this official BimmerCode dongle, you can code the auto stop/start to “active” or “inactive” — at least for US market cars.

BimmerCode F90 Features List

I know you’ve already purchased the equipment you have so you probably want to make that work understandably. But if you can’t, this may be a viable option for you.
My car has the button, but I’m not sure how to activate the memory. Is that a setting in Idrive? That dongle is the one I was looking at, so I may go for that one, but if there’s a way of activating the memory, I may not need it.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2023, 02:53 PM   #98
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My car has the button, but I’m not sure how to activate the memory. Is that a setting in Idrive? That dongle is the one I was looking at, so I may go for that one, but if there’s a way of activating the memory, I may not need it.
I have read about other owners here needing to code it out, but I never understood why because both my pre-LCI and LCI only needed to be set once and it has always remembered (from the factory — no coding needed). It was something I did the first time I started the car, and I’ve never had to press it again.

I will check to see if there is an iDrive setting for when I am in the car later today, but I don’t recall ever seeing one.

I’m wondering if this is another one of those things that is different from market to market (and that’s why I’ve seen other owners having to code it out and wasn’t aware they were in other markets) as you and I were discussing a few weeks ago. Perhaps compliance with your local laws and/or regulations requires that there is no memory function.

As a side note, speaking from experience, not all dongles support the full feature list. I can confirm that the above dongle does allow you to do everything that BimmerCode allows. The one exception is coding the car to start in a a particular mode (like Sport+ for example), but this is not due to the dongle. A BimmerCode representative had confirmed to me that this one option is not available on any full fledged M car.
      03-26-2023, 03:14 PM   #99
RichF90M5C
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have read about other owners here needing to code it out, but I never understood why because both my pre-LCI and LCI only needed to be set once and it has always remembered (from the factory — no coding needed). It was something I did the first time I started the car, and I’ve never had to press it again.

I will check to see if there is an iDrive setting for when I am in the car later today, but I don’t recall ever seeing one.

I’m wondering if this is another one of those things that is different from market to market (and that’s why I’ve seen other owners having to code it out and wasn’t aware they were in other markets) as you and I were discussing a few weeks ago. Perhaps compliance with your local laws and/or regulations requires that there is no memory function.

As a side note, speaking from experience, not all dongles support the full feature list. I can confirm that the above dongle does allow you to do everything that BimmerCode allows. The one exception is coding the car to start in a a particular mode (like Sport+ for example), but this is not due to the dongle. A BimmerCode representative had confirmed to me that this one option is not available on any full fledged M car.
Would be handy to know if there is a setting, but you could well be right about it not being available for some markets.

I had a look on the BimmerCode website, they have a list of recommended dongles, so assume that any on that list should be able to activate any of the features?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 03:28 PM   #100
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Would be handy to know if there is a setting, but you could well be right about it not being available for some markets.

I had a look on the BimmerCode website, they have a list of recommended dongles, so assume that any on that list should be able to activate any of the features?
The only one I can personally confirm that supports all listed Bimmecode features for the G30/F90 is the OBDLink CX BimmerCode Bluetooth 5.1 BLE OBDII dongle in my above post. Certain other ones won’t work for certain features, and there isn’t really a way that I have found to know what the features you can’t code with a particular dongle are until you try and it fails to code.

Go with the “official” one if you don’t want to mess around with figuring out what may and may not work. Even other ones they list don’t necessarily support all features.
      03-27-2023, 01:47 AM   #101
RichF90M5C
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The only one I can personally confirm that supports all listed Bimmecode features for the G30/F90 is the OBDLink CX BimmerCode Bluetooth 5.1 BLE OBDII dongle in my above post. Certain other ones won’t work for certain features, and there isn’t really a way that I have found to know what the features you can’t code with a particular dongle are.

Go with the “official” one if you don’t want to mess around with figuring out what may and may not work. Even other ones they list don’t necessarily support all features.
Good to know, thanks buddy.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2023, 01:57 PM   #102
RichF90M5C
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, so I’ve received the OBDLink CX BimmerCode Bluetooth 5.1 BLE OBDII and guess what the only thing it won’t code out is…. Bloody stop/start! Tried it in my M5, and my wife’s new 128ti, but it won’t work in either.

Has anyone in the UK coded it out, if so, which dongle did you use?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 02:38 PM   #103
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, so I’ve received the OBDLink CX BimmerCode Bluetooth 5.1 BLE OBDII and guess what the only thing it won’t code out is…. Bloody stop/start! Tried it in my M5, and my wife’s new 128ti, but it won’t work in either.

Has anyone in the UK coded it out, if so, which dongle did you use?
Sorry to hear this, especially as you’re using the “official” dongle.

Use the support link in the app. The developer has always been helpful and punctual with responses.
      03-31-2023, 01:37 AM   #104
RichF90M5C
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear this, especially as you’re using the “official” dongle.

Use the support link in the app. The developer has always been helpful and punctual with responses.
Good plan, I’ll give that a go.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 09:29 AM   #105
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
Has the OBDLink CX Bimmercode Bluetooth 5.1 been the choice for everyone here? I just started my research into this and it seems great?
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2023, 03:01 PM   #106
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
Has the OBDLink CX Bimmercode Bluetooth 5.1 been the choice for everyone here? I just started my research into this and it seems great?
This is the one that I can personally confirm allows you to change everything listed here. Not all the dongles available work for all of the features. The only thing that doesn’t work from this list is starting the engine in a particular mode (i.e., Sport+), but that is not because of the dongle. That feature is not available on any M cars per BimmerLink support.
      04-12-2023, 12:28 AM   #107
rabbutler
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition 2019

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
I have used a number of adapters with varying results, but all are really slow when coding. The best option is to purchase the cable with the USB C at one end to connect to my phone and the OBD II adapter on the other end. No restriction on feature being supported and coding is nearly instant, so much faters.
I bought mine from Amazon.
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      04-13-2023, 01:49 AM   #108
RichF90M5C
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbutler View Post
I have used a number of adapters with varying results, but all are really slow when coding. The best option is to purchase the cable with the USB C at one end to connect to my phone and the OBD II adapter on the other end. No restriction on feature being supported and coding is nearly instant, so much faters.
Hope this helps.
Which one did you get?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 09:47 AM   #109
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbutler View Post
Hope this helps.
this. ran bluetooth and wifi dongles for years until i tried the hardwire version. never gone back and lightning fast.

i bought one that is obd -> ethernet. then i got an ethernet -> lightning and ethernet -> usb c. this way i can use it for my laptop when i have my coder connect to the car and when i connect my phone. works perfectly for both.

also dont have to put the car in the service mode. it just auto connects. i put it in service mode for my coder to do other things because he asks me to but i never do that when i use bimmercode.

https://a.co/d/bMreiiG
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 08:06 AM   #110
rabbutler
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition 2019

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Which one did you get?
I can't remember exactly which one I did buy, have searched but can't find the details, but I have included a picture, it's basically the standard OBD II to ethernet cable that is used for the esys coding which I already had, so just purchased additional adapter from the ethernet to a USB C. This is definitely the way to go, Instant coding and no issues around the type of OBD II adapter used.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0