BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Parking sensor adjustment?

10-05-2022, 04:11 PM   #1
FLF90
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

Parking sensor adjustment?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I had a 2018 F90 and it did a great job chirping at me when I rolled up close to a curb bumper when parking head into a parking space. Let me get close but not too close. Never bumped the front splitter.

Now I'm in my new 2022 and it only picks up those front curbs sometimes. Like it thinks they are low enough not to hit the splitter. Well, it's wrong. Plenty of times it just doesn't detect what would be a collision.

So question is, is that front detector adjustable at all to pick up some shorter? Probably only needs a half inch maybe. As it is when parking front-in it just doesn't work so well. Can't trust it.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 1
VPRKLR63.00
      10-06-2022, 07:04 AM   #2
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLF90 View Post
I had a 2018 F90 and it did a great job chirping at me when I rolled up close to a curb bumper when parking head into a parking space. Let me get close but not too close. Never bumped the front splitter.

Now I'm in my new 2022 and it only picks up those front curbs sometimes. Like it thinks they are low enough not to hit the splitter. Well, it's wrong. Plenty of times it just doesn't detect what would be a collision.

So question is, is that front detector adjustable at all to pick up some shorter? Probably only needs a half inch maybe. As it is when parking front-in it just doesn't work so well. Can't trust it.

Thoughts?
It's not really meant to detect stuff at the splitter level, more so the bumper level where it's mounted. Why not just use the camera system to make sure you don't bang the splitter?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 07:15 AM   #3
FLF90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Quote:

Thoughts?
It's not really meant to detect stuff at the splitter level, more so the bumper level where it's mounted. Why not just use the camera system to make sure you don't bang the splitter?
Of course I do use the camera. However the question arose because the 2018 I had DID detect it all the time and the red on the parking camera and the chime was helpful. So for me, this is a change in behavior, which prompted the question.
It's pure convenience of course but I did like it.
Appreciate 1
micvite1540.00
      10-06-2022, 08:34 AM   #4
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Of course I do use the camera. However the question arose because the 2018 I had DID detect it all the time and the red on the parking camera and the chime was helpful. So for me, this is a change in behavior, which prompted the question.
It's pure convenience of course but I did like it.
I'm gonna say you were just lucky honestly, the pre lcis I test drove never detected curbs with the parking sensors, and I don't think any car I've driven ever has lol (even my tesla will detect them from a distance and then once you close the gap the dissappear from the ultrasonic sensor range)
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2022, 11:24 AM   #5
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm actually with OP on this one. My 2019 detected parking curbs well, giving me advance notice as I was creeping forward and never had an issue running up onto one. Not sure if it had anything to do with being lowered however...
      10-06-2022, 12:08 PM   #6
FLF90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo View Post
I'm actually with OP on this one. My 2019 detected parking curbs well, giving me advance notice as I was creeping forward and never had an issue running up onto one. Not sure if it had anything to do with being lowered however...
Thanks all. Whenever I go in for my break in service I'll talk the service gang and see their reaction.
Otherwise I'll chalk it up to luck. Or unluck. Or something. Hehe.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 11:37 AM   #7
Danny D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

same here my 2018 is great for front curb detection.
One time I forgot and rush into the parking spot, then the chime thing starting happening and the camera view can up, saved my carbon lip for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 12:42 AM   #8
ambletx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Same. My 2018 was great at keeping me from hanging the nose. My 2021 leaves much to be desired in this area.
Appreciate 0