BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    BMW M5 (F90) August 21 reveal date announced with uncovered teaser clip!

Closed Thread

08-14-2017, 07:55 PM   #45
kardboard
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3, 2010 135i, 2004 WRX

Garage List
2010 135i  [6.00]
2004 WRX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
This is the ltd Edition First Edition M5 now being shown at previews more recently one in Munich.
Here it is with Frozen Royal Burgandy Red exclusive to the M5 First Edition.

Marketing at its finest.

Anyway, excited about the new M5

If anything, because I'll be able to afford an F10 M5
      08-14-2017, 08:29 PM   #46
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackGT View Post
If you have a keen eye, you'll notice the new G32 6GT shares a more similar front end with the upcoming M5 as opposed to the regular M-Sport G30.

Can't wait for reveal.
Looking too hard at 6GT may cause blindness
That's an understatement.
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd5996.50
      08-14-2017, 08:30 PM   #47
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
I have no problem with an AWD m5 its smart. AWD m3 idk
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #48
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
If you can turn it off I guess it will come in handy when you really need it if they can get the weight down enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 08:39 PM   #49
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
If you can turn it off I guess it will come in handy when you really need it if they can get the weight down enough.
Agreed, but you can never get the weight down enough in a true drivers car (ie m3)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 08:42 PM   #50
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
Agreed, but you can never get the weight down enough in a true drivers car (ie m3)
If they use a carbon tub they can.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 09:02 PM   #51
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Anyone else think this car looks way too conservative?

I mean, it's going to be the fastest M, ever. AWD. 600hp. AMG & RS beater.

Where is the anger in that face?
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2017, 09:31 PM   #52
F80NJM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Come on... someone leak some pictures
      08-14-2017, 09:32 PM   #53
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
This is the ltd Edition First Edition M5 now being shown at previews more recently one in Munich.
Limited edition first edition. Is ///M taking a page from the Mercedes book? Not to mention it doesn't make sense. Every car is a limited edition with that rhetoric.

On another note, needs some spacers.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      08-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #54
Hockey Guy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i, X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
It's a deal brother.

I'm not saying that the new ZF8 in the F90 M5 is going to be slow, quite the contrary. But I am simply stating that it will not be as fast as the DCT. Even in the Auto in the Vette Z06 is lightning fast, but the transmission in the CTS-V is terrible. The same can be compared to the MDCT and the PDK. The PDK in the 911GT3RS and the 918 Spyder are world class transmissions, so insanely fast and smooth, you can't even believe it. The MDCT is almost an entirely different transmission to the PDK, were they not both Dual Clutch.

The ZF8 doesn't bother me that much with the new M5, I agree with M Division in that ZF8 will be able to hold the torque better, it's a lot of the other little stuff that kills it for me. Side view mirrors look too similar to F80 M3's, same exhaust note from F10 M5 because its the same engine setup, floating iDrive screen design, headlights touching the front grille, door panels not made out of carbon fiber, still no word if the hood is going to be carbon fiber and the same with the crankshaft, and generally no innovative technologies besides the new ///M xDrive system. Where's my Active Aerodynamics, where's my Electric Turbos, where's my KERS system, where's my camless engine design, where's my laser headlights, where's any kind of new innovative technology beside a trick AWD system? The F10 M5 was innovative in that they used 2 turbos inside of the V on a V8 engine, no-one practically produced that before, now Audi and Mercedes are doing the same thing. Then Mercedes beats the new F90 M5 to market with trick AWD system of their own in the new E63S which is on sale today. The F90 will be the fastest M5 ever, but only because they are just now introducing a setup which Nissan figured out 10 years ago, by combing AWD with Twin Turbo engine. At least Mercedes is trying out new stuff by developing the innovative M256 engine and going to performance based hybrid electric setups for near future AMG models, like the new upcoming CLS53 AMG.

Ok that should be enough dissenting for the moment

But seriously, those side view mirrors on the M5, seriously M Division??! You can't come up with any OTHER design????

I totally agree with you RPIM5... It's great that the next-gen M5 is finally upon us, but what a disappointment that BMW M could not do better than a slightly upgraded V8TT and an auto tranny!!! They added better traction management with a slick AWD system, whoopty-doo. This generation of M5 is with us for another 6 years?! It's a joke IMO. The BMW M2 showed that M-div still had a soul. This tells me that M-div is losing its budget and heart to X-div. I realize many of you may say "fine, don't buy one." That's the last thing BMW should want to read. I have owned the last two gen's of M5 and M3s and if you can't convince a guy like me to roll over to a new one, there's a problem in Dingolfing... Booooo
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #55
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
They only changed because they don't have a transmission that can handle that much torque. The ZF8HP is a well known transmission at this point, and it shifts in a respectable ~200ms, which is good but a far cry from a DSG, PDK, DTC, or even the old SMG, which are all well under 100ms. It's just a trade off for power.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_time
There are several different versions of the zf8 transmission. We don't know the spec code the m5 one yet. I am pretty sure it will surprise with the shifting times
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 10:26 PM   #56
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Limited addition first addition of all the limited-edition additions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
Quote:
Limited edition first edition. Is ///M taking a page from the Mercedes book? Not to mention it doesn't make sense. Every car is a limited edition with that rhetoric.

On another note, needs some spacers.
Limited because few people are going to want that nasty colour.

They should've just left the paint off and let it rust.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 10:52 PM   #57
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Side mirror!!
I cant take it
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:01 PM   #58
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
Quote:
It's a deal brother.

I'm not saying that the new ZF8 in the F90 M5 is going to be slow, quite the contrary. But I am simply stating that it will not be as fast as the DCT. Even in the Auto in the Vette Z06 is lightning fast, but the transmission in the CTS-V is terrible. The same can be compared to the MDCT and the PDK. The PDK in the 911GT3RS and the 918 Spyder are world class transmissions, so insanely fast and smooth, you can't even believe it. The MDCT is almost an entirely different transmission to the PDK, were they not both Dual Clutch.

The ZF8 doesn't bother me that much with the new M5, I agree with M Division in that ZF8 will be able to hold the torque better, it's a lot of the other little stuff that kills it for me. Side view mirrors look too similar to F80 M3's, same exhaust note from F10 M5 because its the same engine setup, floating iDrive screen design, headlights touching the front grille, door panels not made out of carbon fiber, still no word if the hood is going to be carbon fiber and the same with the crankshaft, and generally no innovative technologies besides the new ///M xDrive system. Where's my Active Aerodynamics, where's my Electric Turbos, where's my KERS system, where's my camless engine design, where's my laser headlights, where's any kind of new innovative technology beside a trick AWD system? The F10 M5 was innovative in that they used 2 turbos inside of the V on a V8 engine, no-one practically produced that before, now Audi and Mercedes are doing the same thing. Then Mercedes beats the new F90 M5 to market with trick AWD system of their own in the new E63S which is on sale today. The F90 will be the fastest M5 ever, but only because they are just now introducing a setup which Nissan figured out 10 years ago, by combing AWD with Twin Turbo engine. At least Mercedes is trying out new stuff by developing the innovative M256 engine and going to performance based hybrid electric setups for near future AMG models, like the new upcoming CLS53 AMG.

But seriously, those side view mirrors on the M5, seriously M Division??! You can't come up with any OTHER design????

I totally agree with you RPIM5... It's great that the next-gen M5 is finally upon us, but what a disappointment that BMW M could not do better than a slightly upgraded V8TT and an auto tranny!!! They added better traction management with a slick AWD system, whoopty-doo. This generation of M5 is with us for another 6 years?! It's a joke IMO. The BMW M2 showed that M-div still had a soul. This tells me that M-div is losing its budget and heart to X-div. I realize many of you may say "fine, don't buy one." That's the last thing BMW should want to read. I have owned the last two gen's of M5 and M3s and if you can't convince a guy like me to roll over to a new one, there's a problem in Dingolfing... Booooo
Too soon for firm opinions on the car... not too soon for firm opinions on that launch color (blah)
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      08-14-2017, 11:24 PM   #59
samuraisaiyo
First Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 318i E36

No air breathing?
      08-14-2017, 11:28 PM   #60
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
Quote:
It's a deal brother.

Too soon for firm opinions on the car... not too soon for firm opinions on that launch color (blah)
I agree.

No Bueno !!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 01:12 AM   #61
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
I remember when we hoped (dreamed) all this cost cutting and platform sharing meant more money for M cars R&D. Boy was that wrong.
It's literally a lipsticked 550iS M Sport xDrive. That's exactly what this "M5" is.

AWD and a 8spd slushbox, FOH. Explain why EVERY other high performance vehicle still uses a DCT then? If the ZF8 is sooooo good, why has Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo/AMG not adopted it? Because it's not.

I for one can't wait for the bullshit laden press release, it'll be hilarious.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 4
mundo7465.00
xander_g967.00
dmboone254970.50
      08-15-2017, 02:29 AM   #62
Patrik
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraisaiyo View Post
No air breathing?
It will most likely have the typical vent á la M, like they have had since the e60. As for the lower air breathers, F8x loses them as well, nothing new there.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 02:37 AM   #63
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Benefit of doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Auto trannies have gone very far in technology since couple years ago.
BMW M would never put a standard slow/laggy auto trans in their flagship M model. I am pretty sure that once you all drive the car you will be positively surprised. I know DCT has a cool factor, but BMW didn't do the switch for no reason. We've all seen couple videos of pro drivers driving these cars and there was no complaints in the trans dept. The car is lighter, faster, the front end looks awesome and aggressive and it has a really cool differential system with switchable drives.
I am not so confident about the performance benefits of switching transmissions but will reserve judgment on the matter till the all proving drive. Anyway; at this point the car is on order and hopefully it will be everything that was promised.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 02:56 AM   #64
FC05
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring Z3M Coupe

I'm sure M guys done the researches, and it's all about the proper segmentation that M5 is supposedly to be luxurious super saloon rather than a super car
Leave the track racer status to smaller bros like M3/M4 and M2
M5 is all about luxury and practicality so ZF auto and x drives all being reasonable
      08-15-2017, 04:03 AM   #65
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC05 View Post
I'm sure M guys done the researches, and it's all about the proper segmentation that M5 is supposedly to be luxurious super saloon rather than a super car
Leave the track racer status to smaller bros like M3/M4 and M2
M5 is all about luxury and practicality so ZF auto and x drives all being reasonable
Yeah, the fact that both the new E63S and Panamera Turbo are heavier than the previous generation tells you it's about luxury more than nimble sedan in this segment.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 05:01 AM   #66
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tux View Post
Stupid question: why is the new M5 still using the F code instead of G?
BMW separated the M from the normal line with the current M3/4 so it is expected for them to do the same All of them seem to be in the F80-F99 area.
2002 M5 Carbon Black (sold) should have never sold her
Appreciate 1
Tux22.50
Closed Thread