BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Starting to regret my purchase

04-03-2020, 02:12 PM   #45
CanadianF90M5
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianF90M5 View Post
Our cars do have temperature gauges ... we'll know if the car is running hot and take actions to address that ... better than damaging the oil cooler on the highway, than you're toast and so might be your engine
I opted for the Fall Line version, but I'm sure this would be possible with the Turner oil cooler guard. I used galvanized 1/4" hardware cloth and 3/16" diameter stainless steel pop rivets with 1/4" grip and stainless washers to hold the cloth in place. The hardware wire cloth is only .028" thick, but for a trial effort it'll do to see if it survives. I looked at stainless mesh online, but it gets expensive, so galvanized it is. I haven't installed on the car yet, but the instructions are clear and while more involved than Turner's, only require a few simple tools. The mesh size to fit the Fall Line guard is 7 1/4" by 24".
Nice job! After it's installed, let me know if it's restricted air flow causing the car to run hot ... looks like I may be installing the same mesh if things go well for you!
      04-03-2020, 10:15 PM   #46
kdeleon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
I opted for the Fall Line version, but I'm sure this would be possible with the Turner oil cooler guard. I used galvanized 1/4" hardware cloth and 3/16" diameter stainless steel pop rivets with 1/4" grip and stainless washers to hold the cloth in place. The hardware wire cloth is only .028" thick, but for a trial effort it'll do to see if it survives. I looked at stainless mesh online, but it gets expensive, so galvanized it is. I haven't installed on the car yet, but the instructions are clear and while more involved than Turner's, only require a few simple tools. The mesh size to fit the Fall Line guard is 7 1/4" by 24".
That looks like a really good solution. Seems like it would stop most of the potential issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #47
IBOOSTU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 COMP/21 M5 COMP FROZEN

I'm still sitting for the prices on these cars to drop
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #48
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes65 View Post
If anyone installs one of those guards themselves, please post up about how difficult it was.
Just finished my rainy day project, and it was awkward in spots. They say it should take 3 to 4 hours, and I think I was a little over 4 hours. I'm a slow worker though, even on easy projects. The only surprise was on page 6 of the instructions, where there's a note telling you that an additional 1/8" of drilling is required if you want the nutsert to sit flush. It's awkward because you aren't drilling into a flat piece of aluminum. It's a curved area under the flat piece you just drilled through that only catches a portion of the drill you use, and that pushes the drill to the side, potentially elongating the hole you just drilled for the nutsert. Slow and careful and everything is okay, but if you hurried and screwed up the hole you drilled it would hurt the strength of the guard if the nutsert couldn't attach properly.

The Fall Line guard fits perfectly and is really well built. Cutting the opening in the stock under tray isn't fun, but the pattern they give you is accurate and the fit when you're done is spot on.

They recommend a professional installation, and I'm no pro, but you should have some skill to do it properly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      04-04-2020, 09:16 PM   #49
CanadianF90M5
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes65 View Post
If anyone installs one of those guards themselves, please post up about how difficult it was.
Just finished my rainy day project, and it was awkward in spots. They say it should take 3 to 4 hours, and I think I was a little over 4 hours. I'm a slow worker though, even on easy projects. The only surprise was on page 6 of the instructions, where there's a note telling you that an additional 1/8" of drilling is required if you want the nutsert to sit flush. It's awkward because you aren't drilling into a flat piece of aluminum. It's a curved area under the flat piece you just drilled through that only catches a portion of the drill you use, and that pushes the drill to the side, potentially elongating the hole you just drilled for the nutsert. Slow and careful and everything is okay, but if you hurried and screwed up the hole you drilled it would hurt the strength of the guard if the nutsert couldn't attach properly.

The Fall Line guard fits perfectly and is really well built. Cutting the opening in the stock under tray isn't fun, but the pattern they give you is accurate and the fit when you're done is spot on.

They recommend a professional installation, and I'm no pro, but you should have some skill to do it properly.
Looks great but 4 hours, that's tough ... mine took 45 minutes (no cutting needed)
      04-05-2020, 04:17 PM   #50
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice job! After it's installed, let me know if it's restricted air flow causing the car to run hot ... looks like I may be installing the same mesh if things go well for you!
Took a long drive today, no overheating, oil temp at the 250 degree mark where it has been since I drove it off the lot. But, took a stone to the windshield and got a long crack! Happened to my F10 also.... is BMW glass more brittle than other cars? After the first experience I reduced my comp co-pay and this won't damage my wallet.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #51
CanadianF90M5
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Took a long drive today, no overheating, oil temp at the 250 degree mark where it has been since I drove it off the lot. But, took a stone to the windshield and got a long crack! Happened to my F10 also.... is BMW glass more brittle than other cars? After the first experience I reduced my comp co-pay and this won't damage my wallet.
Good to hear but sorry about the stone chip, I'll be purchasing some mesh and get that installed soon as well.
      04-18-2020, 09:22 PM   #52
CanadianF90M5
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ordered and installed the Tuner Motorsport skid plate oil cooler protector yesterday. Ordering and delivery through ECS was excellent. The install was very straight forward with no cutting or re-fabricating. Once I had the car on the ramps, only took me ~45 minutes to complete the job.
Installed some stainless steel mesh in my skid plate, job complete and feeling pleased with the outcome.
Attached Images

04-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #53
kdeleon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Installed some stainless steel mesh in my skid plate, job complete and feeling pleased with the outcome.
Nice job. This looks really good.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2020, 12:59 PM   #54
MXNSITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C, 2019 i3 REX, 2010 Z4

Quote:
Do you have any pics of the other side showing how you affixed the rivets? I am planning to the same once I can get around to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #55
CanadianF90M5
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXNSITH View Post
Quote:
Do you have any pics of the other side showing how you affixed the rivets? I am planning to the same once I can get around to it.
No pictures but just drilled holes in the plate and riveted it on (cut the single piece of mess to cover all the openings over the cooler grills and bent the mesh to fit tight to the plate, that's it).
      04-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #56
MXNSITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C, 2019 i3 REX, 2010 Z4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXNSITH View Post
Quote:
No pictures but just drilled holes in the plate and riveted it on (cut the single piece of mess to cover all the openings over the cooler grills and bent the mesh to fit tight to the plate, that's it).
The rivets are large enough to not push through the mesh I presume?

Last edited by MXNSITH; 04-21-2020 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 02:37 PM   #57
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just found your post. That stainless mesh looks to be the perfect size for the job! I'm thinking the thin mesh I used will be torn at some point, hopefully not damaging the cooler at the same time. Do you have the specifications for the mesh? Wire diameter and weave description? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 05:23 PM   #58
CanadianF90M5
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Just found your post. That stainless mesh looks to be the perfect size for the job! I'm thinking the thin mesh I used will be torn at some point, hopefully not damaging the cooler at the same time. Do you have the specifications for the mesh? Wire diameter and weave description? Thanks.
This is what I used ... it came in any length (so I got 8 inches) but only one width (48 inches) so I only used half of it for this job. I used 1/8 inch rivets that fit tightly through the mesh without having to cut/drill the mesh. The mesh is strong (needed really sharp cutting tools to trim it to size).
Attached Images

04-21-2020, 05:46 PM   #59
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is what I used ... it came in any length (so I got 8 inches) but only one width (48 inches) so I only used half of it for this job. I used 1/8 inch rivets that fit tightly through the mess without having to cut/drill the mess. The mess is strong (needed really sharp cutting tools to trim it to size).
Great, thanks. That's one of the reasons I didn't get the stainless, I didn't find a site that had smaller pieces available. Because of the COVID-19 situation most of the local businesses who carry what I need are probably closed. I'll search around but will probably have to go online eventually.
Appreciate 0